• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Yeah. But Graham art can be a bit jarring if you're used to McKelvie.

Also helps that that image is probably the best looking part of the whole issue. It just doesn't relate at all to the art up to that point and it's just a sudden shock and kind of reminds me of the art in the current Swamp Thing run. I like that style of art in Swamp Thing, it kind of fits, in this it was just weird and took me out of the whole issue.

That's okay. I think Brandon Graham art is butts too.

tumblr_nzjoy8WT821qfadhao1_500.png

I couldn't find more of the page, but this is part of the one page where I just started laughing.

Different series I probably wouldn't have cared, but compared to some of the other art in this series it was just jarring.

That's supposed to be Ananke!?

5048226-wicked-divine-2-ananke.jpg

Crazy.

"Leto's Joker is too edgy, the DC movies are too grimdark, they're trying too hard, why can't WB put some levity in those movies, have fun with it"

"Leto's Joker is too wacky and not a threat and I want something more serious"
tumblr_nlh3olZjyb1qlqsnio1_500-1430494442.gif

Oh man, remember Hancook guys.
Oh god. Oh god.
It was a solid movie that was way better in the first half than the second. Sounds a lot like The Hateful Eight.
Ah that's right I forgot about that. So yeah it is totally wide open, the writer doesn't even have to get creative if s/he doesn't want to. But I prefer it when they do, it feels more like it's playing within the "rules" set down by BKV and the whole "cycling through languages" thing really could make it feel too overpowered if used too often.
I mean, the languages are still limiting, since it's limited by how much can be memorized per language and there are only so many languages.

"Leto's Joker is too edgy, the DC movies are too grimdark, they're trying too hard, why can't WB put some levity in those movies, have fun with it"

"Leto's Joker is too wacky and not a threat and I want something more serious"

"Leto's Joker is flat and uninteresting and totally not my tempo."

#HollywoodHandbook

I win again.

With Deluxe HCs you mean the Oversized?
Yes. The ones that events are usually collected in. Those should be the standard for all the Marvel HCs but obviously be standard size. DC's HCs cost less than Marvel's and yet their quality is better. At least throw me a dust jacket or something.

Interesting opinion based on probably a total of 30 seconds of Joker footage we've seen.

It's an opinion ABOUT the 30 seconds of Joker footage we've seen

This retort is always so fucking mindboggling. What else would it be about?

Trailers are supposed to pique your interest and allow you to personally evaluate your interest level in
- A movie's idea
- Its characters
- Its performances
- Its visuals

"No, man, but, you know, you haven't seen the whole movie."

UH YAH
NO FUCKING DUH
lmao
good lord

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Trailers are supposed to pique your interest and allow you to personally evaluate your interest level in
- A movie's idea
- Its characters
- Its performances
- Its visuals

UH YAH
NO FUCKING DUH
lmao
good lord
Dont get me wrong, when I said it earlier, it was also a little bit directed to Poodle, who sounded like he already seen the movie with how confident he always sounds over the movie *g*

VanWinkle

- A movie's idea
- Its characters
- Its performances
- Its visuals

UH YAH
NO FUCKING DUH
lmao
good lord

Uhh no, a trailer is definitely not supposed to allow you to evaluate a character and their performance. There is no way you can in such a short time.

But what you said, and what I replied to, was "Leto's Joker is flat and uninteresting and totally not my tempo."

The tautologically logical ending of that sentence is "which is my opinion based on the thirty seconds of his performance in the trailer."

But no continue to tell my brain that it has no business sending those impulses to my typing fingers

i'm LOVING it

Branson

So uh, not sure where to put this but I guess this will do. Getting into the current stories of marvel that the movies are based off of is really tough. Should I even bother to try to catch up comic wise from 98 to now or whatever? Or should I just pick up stories I think are interesting and not really try to go for a reading order sort of thing? I'm kind of doing that with Batman, starting with Year One and then going to read Killing joke next and then do the latest new 52 run.

I also almost said fuck it and just bought the BluRays of all of the marvel movies to just use that as my head cannon. Some of the comic Arcs look cool though. I do want to read the Kevin Smith onward DareDevil comics too.

Owzers

All New All Different Avengers #0: I wanted to get through with this after the Point One to be done with terrible non-comics-non-issues, it met my expectations. It's painful to read how Marvel tries to tie these book introductions together, the Squadron Supreme saying " and let me tell you about this other Avengers team!" every five pages.

a couple more ANAD #1s hit MU, Sam Wilson: Captain America and the GOTG.

VanWinkle

The tautologically logical ending of that sentence is "which is my opinion based on the thirty seconds of his performance in the trailer."

But no continue to tell my brain that it has no business sending those impulses to my typing fingers

i'm LOVING it

Oh, by all means, continue to keep spouting those opinions. I just thought/think it was dumb to judge the performance of a character in a movie based on thirty seconds of Joker footage.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Mm. Ok. So if I want to read Civil War just read it and not worry about the stuff leading up to it?
Read the Civil War: Illuminati Tie-In and thats fine.
There are a couple of good Tie Ins, but you can read it standalone.

Oh, and the other wilm say that you shouldnt read it.

tim1138

Mm. Ok. So if I want to read Civil War just read it and not worry about the stuff leading up to it?

Read whatever you want, if there's some lore thing you're confused about also here or in the Ask Slayven thread and one of us will be able to fill you in. Comics are fun and shouldn't feel like a chore to catch up on 20 years of continuity or backstory.

I'm really ready to be done with the WW omni. I mean, it's awesome, but I hate to be on the same book for like a week straight. It's just taking forever to go through when so many pages are like this:

Maybe you should consider taking a few days off from it, break it up with some other reading.

Leto Joker was a mistake. He's nothing but trash.

At least he has an appropriate theme song:

What if I wanted to break
Laugh it all off in your face
What would you do? (Oh, oh)
What if I fell to the floor
Couldn't take all this anymore
What would you do, do, do?

Come break me down
Bury me, bury me
I am finished with you

What if I wanted to fight
Beg for the rest of my life
What would you do?
You say you wanted more
What are you waiting for?
I'm not running from you (from you)

Come break me down
Bury me, bury me
I am finished with you
Look in my eyes
You're killing me, killing me
All I wanted was you

I tried to be someone else
But nothing seemed to change
I know now, this is who I really am inside.
Finally found myself
Fighting for a chance.
I know now, this is who I really am.

VanWinkle

Maybe you should consider taking a few days off from it, break it up with some other reading.

I've been reading it less the past couple of days. Like an issue or two of it a day. I'm reading the DC One Million omnibus right now primarily and it's pretty great. Have read through a third of it in the last two days (the book is a 1080 pages long), so it's definitely faster moving.

Ross61

I'm actually starting to get interested in those Hanna-Barbera comics like Future Quest and Wacky Raceland. Not sure on the other ones tho.

Top Bottom