• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Wicked + Divine 12-17

I think I hate Wicked + Divine. It's just a mixed bag of emotions! I go from being confused to caring about a character I've never even seen before to thinking I hate a character but actually liking them to only be confused as shit by them by the end of the issue(talking about you re-re-remix!) then left with a cliffhanger that confused the fuck out of me even more.

I hate to say it, but: welcome to the human experience? People are weird and dumb and sometimes cool.

Trust me it's a good hate/love type of thing.

woof that is one bad joker in that suicide squad trailer

I'm still waiting for judgement, but the one shot with him having blood over half his face does look like a creepy ass psychotic Joker. Which could be good.

Boogiepop

I actually think the Staff of One is such a friend to both the writer and the artist that it is the main reason Nico has been a popular character in post-Runaways books and why I think she will remain one for a very long time. It is a weapon that can do literally anything, making it one of the most powerful in the Marvel Universe, but you can only cast each spell once. That doesn't mean it can't perform the same function more than once, just that you have to think of a different way to say it and a different way to portray it than what's come before. So, as a writer, you get to play with this ultimate device with this very clever restriction that also gives you and your art team the chance to show off creatively within the bounds of whatever book Nico is a part of. It also is totally overpowered when you need it to be but it never feels overpowered, because the reader knows Nico shouldn't "waste" her most powerful spells in situations where they are not needed. She always has to use just enough magic to overcome the odds or do whatever the group requires.

I'm sure Marvel has a master list of Nico's spells and hopefully it is searchable by many different parameters. I just think it would be so cool to write. It was a gift from BKV to the MU.

Hmm, yeah, I probably did overstate the issue. I guess my brain just can't help but go to the fact that in theory eventually she'll "run out" of things she can do. Also, just to clarify, it does need to be both different wording and do something theoretically different, right? Like, straight synonyms wouldn't work? IE "vanish" and "disappear" couldn't both be used, right? It was kind of unclear to me in the run exactly what the limits were on that, as she did say several times, like, "I already used a teleportation spell before" or something to that effect. Just a little unclear on that.

i have no problem with the visual design really. he just is pants, performance-wise. they set him up way too hard in the movie for such a dud performance.

I meant in terms of performance, lol. Leto's definitely got the chops, and I was impressed as hell with what I saw from him in the previous trailer.

Vyer

yeah, i dig what I've seen of Leto's Joker so far. Definitely fits the vibe of the movie itself it seems.

i'm thinking that the 'Will Smith being Will Smith' criticism is likely on point though, but I don't think it would detract from this kind of movie much

yeah, i dig what I've seen of Leto's Joker so far. Definitely fits the vibe of the movie itself it seems.

i'm thinking that the 'Will Smith being Will Smith' criticism is likely on point though, but I don't think it would detract from this kind of movie much

That was my favorite part.

Anyway, who cares THAT NEW CIVIL WAR CLIP ;_;

ElNarez

Banned
"Leto's Joker is too edgy, the DC movies are too grimdark, they're trying too hard, why can't WB put some levity in those movies, have fun with it"

"Leto's Joker is too wacky and not a threat and I want something more serious"

i'm not sure there's anything good about Jared Leto

H0JKzbX.png

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think so.
Also it will be more badass when they revive him with the Infinity Gauntlet.
Edit: But I didnt get that far in the spoiler hole.
I assume it.

That's how they should end Part 1 of infinity war

He awakes...."Avengers....Assemble."

*credits*

Hmm, yeah, I probably did overstate the issue. I guess my brain just can't help but go to the fact that in theory eventually she'll "run out" of things she can do. Also, just to clarify, it does need to be both different wording and do something theoretically different, right? Like, straight synonyms wouldn't work? IE "vanish" and "disappear" couldn't both be used, right? It was kind of unclear to me in the run exactly what the limits were on that, as she did say several times, like, "I already used a teleportation spell before" or something to that effect. Just a little unclear on that.

Hmmm, maybe the rules were stricter with BKV in charge? Because she just managed this spell in A-Force #2:

So one way or another, it seems manageable for writers the way it is now. And like I said, it gives them one of the most powerful weapons in the Marvel Universe, so she can do stuff like this, too, pretty much whenever the writer feels like it:

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, maybe the rules were stricter with BKV in charge? Because she just managed this spell in A-Force #2:

So one way or another, it seems manageable for writers the way it is now. And like I said, it gives them one of the most powerful weapons in the Marvel Universe, so she can do stuff like this, too, pretty much whenever the writer feels like it:

She's said in Post SW A-Force that she's going through all of the languages different words for "heal", so that she can keep doing it. So either the rules have changed since BKV, or they expanded what the staff can do.

She's said in Post SW A-Force that she's going through all of the languages different words for "heal", so that she can keep doing it. So either the rules have changed since BKV, or they expanded what the staff can do.

Ah that's right I forgot about that. So yeah it is totally wide open, the writer doesn't even have to get creative if s/he doesn't want to. But I prefer it when they do, it feels more like it's playing within the "rules" set down by BKV and the whole "cycling through languages" thing really could make it feel too overpowered if used too often.

Top Bottom