• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just went to the library and picked up Seven Soldiers Vol 1, Batman RIP, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader and Killing and Dying. Did I do good?

VanWinkle

Just went to the library and picked up Seven Soldiers Vol 1, Batman RIP, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader and Killing and Dying. Did I do good?

Yup. Although I wouldn't really read Batman RIP if you hadn't read Batman and Son first. It's important to read Morrison's Batman run in order.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yup. Although I wouldn't really read Batman RIP if you hadn't read Batman and Son first. It's important to read Morrison's Batman run in order.

Right. Might head back and see if they have that then. It just stood out as something I'd remembered being recommended.

Owzers

check the books for bed bugs.

and yeah, if they have it, check for the Batman: Black Glove hardcover that collects Batman and Son and The Black Glove Morrison arcs that came before RIP ( or the two separate hardcovers of course)

yEK0hyU.gif

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Good news - they have a copy of Batman and Son too. I'll go dig through the racks tomorrow.

My local library actually has a fantastic range of graphic novels, lots of very current stuff. Think they had very recent Batman runs, a bunch of current Marvel titles too. I try to keep up to date on stuff I like but this will be great way to catch up on older books.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
had to go to the doctor today and read a few issues that I had downloaded to read offline, which were basically the crap im least interested in. Results were... mixed:

Squadron Sinister #2 - yup I still dont care about anything going on in this book, at all.

E for Extinction #2 - this book is so weird that I think it grew on me. The story is bizarre, the art emulating quietly is awful in a endearing way, its a weird ass book

Starlord and Kitty #1 - whoa this art is gorgeous, its like something out of Disney. The book itself is trash tho

check the books for bed bugs.

and yeah, if they have it, check for the Batman: Black Glove hardcover that collects Batman and Son and The Black Glove Morrison arcs that came before RIP ( or the two separate hardcovers of course)

The new Batman and Son trade combines the two together like The Black Glove Deluxe HC did, so he should be good with that.

Seven Soldiers is dope too. Good choices.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also the only ANAD books added this week were Cap #1 and GotG #1 :(

The Marvel Now HCs do feel cheap. They feel so flimsy and dry. And I'm not talking bout the deluxe HCs which feel a thousand times better.
The individual trade hardcovers? Because I am also not a fan. I have the Inhuman OHC, though, and it feels fine to me.
Yes. The ones that events are usually collected in. Those should be the standard for all the Marvel HCs but obviously be standard size. DC's HCs cost less than Marvel's and yet their quality is better. At least throw me a dust jacket or something.
But I have the Axis hardcover (don't judge me) and it feels fine and not cheap.
So uh, not sure where to put this but I guess this will do. Getting into the current stories of marvel that the movies are based off of is really tough. Should I even bother to try to catch up comic wise from 98 to now or whatever? Or should I just pick up stories I think are interesting and not really try to go for a reading order sort of thing? I'm kind of doing that with Batman, starting with Year One and then going to read Killing joke next and then do the latest new 52 run.

I also almost said fuck it and just bought the BluRays of all of the marvel movies to just use that as my head cannon. Some of the comic Arcs look cool though. I do want to read the Kevin Smith onward DareDevil comics too.
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT attempt to read the massive backlog just to read current books. You absolutely do not need to, nor should you. If you want to because you are intrigued, go ahead. By all means, do what your heart demands you do. You will gain a bigger appreciation/hatred for the Marvel Universe at large by doing so, and there are some great stories from previous Marvel eras. Just don't do it because you feel it's necessary, because it isn't.
Mm. Ok. So if I want to read Civil War just read it and not worry about the stuff leading up to it?
Just read Civil War. There's a lot of tie-ins and build up, which you can read if you want to, as (once again) it may help improve your perception of the full scale of the event. You can 100% read and comprehend it on your own, though.
I've been reading it less the past couple of days. Like an issue or two of it a day. I'm reading the DC One Million omnibus right now primarily and it's pretty great. Have read through a third of it in the last two days (the book is a 1080 pages long), so it's definitely faster moving.
Do what I did with the JSA omnibus and read other stuff during the day, and read a few chapters of the omnibus before beddy bye.

Curious how the new Steve Rogers book will turn out.

Horrendously if that new costume is any indicator

tumblr_nzjoy8WT821qfadhao1_500.png

I couldn't find more of the page, but this is part of the one page where I just started laughing.

Different series I probably wouldn't have cared, but compared to some of the other art in this series it was just jarring.

That's supposed to be Ananke!?

5048226-wicked-divine-2-ananke.jpg

Crazy.

LMAO

It's not really a fair comparison panel to panel but that shit is still hilarious.

shingi70

Banned
Marvel proper is like we threw the X-men under the bus for this shit.

It sucks cause the Inhumans are in a good place right, now and the movie being delayed wouldn't be such a bad thing if Marvel TV knew how to utilize the property.

It sucks cause the Inhumans are in a good place right, now and the movie being delayed wouldn't be such a bad thing if Marvel TV knew how to utilize the property.

Only because FOX has the rights to make X-Men films. If they didn't the Inhumans would all be in a fucking dumpster right now.

Just read Vision #6. Good lord Tom King. Genius writing. This is one of the few comics where the words are the more important part of the story. I feel like I could just read the script and it would be just as impactful. This is not me saying the art is bad, it's actually really good. It's just such smart writing that makes you think that a lot of visuals become second to me.

It's a shame the Inhumans movie is probably not going to happen for 5+ years because the comics division has done an excellent job of rehabbing them. I really dig Uncanny.

That being said, it never made sense to me to drop a big super-team between the two Infinity War movies.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That's my problem with ANAD. All the books people are raving about are books about characters I don't like in the first place.

So I'd be skipping the Vision either way.

I leave it up to the books to make me interested in the characters.

I agree with SillyMonkey, especially because this Vision is so not about superheroics that previous iterations of the character are harder to go by.

Just Star-Lord? I would have expected the whole GotG crew.

It's probably more difficult to lock down Chris Pratt's schedule than it is Zoe Saldana's and Dave Bautista's (and voice work can take as little as an afternoon, so there's no real need to worry about Bradley Cooper and Vin).

Ross61

Okay so this is confusing. Does this mean that Ted Kord is Doctor Fate or the current Doctor Fate is in Blue Beetle?

FullSizeRender-1-600x800.jpg

Also can get some suggestions on how to get into Marvel's Cosmic timeline?

Also can get some suggestions on how to get into Marvel's Cosmic timeline?

Well, to be honest, the current Marvel cosmic stuff isn't so great. I mean, some of the books are fun but there's nothing they're publishing right now in the cosmic space that will be remembered in five years.

Your best bet is to dig into the classic stuff from the early 2000's and if you like what you read, then check out some of the current books. Note that not all this stuff is in print right now, but it is all available digitally if you're into that.

Click to expand image (warning: it's big):

Top Bottom