• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

PsychBat!

Banned
loved the callback to this joke

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You guys never talk about the Bachalo Strange book.

That makes me sad :(

Owzers

Finished the MU Thor issues, definitely not a fan, it reminds me of the batmobile in arkham knight where the whole whisper/identity thing got in the way of the story sinking the whole thing. Definitely Original Sin-tier.

Finished the MU Thor issues, definitely not a fan, it reminds me of the batmobile in arkham knight where the whole whisper/identity thing got in the way of the story sinking the whole thing. Definitely Original Sin-tier.

Strong words...

I disagree

Her new book is definitely much better though so make sure to give it a shot when it hits MU!

Messi

You guys never talk about the Bachalo Strange book.

That makes me sad :(

Top 3 ANAD for me. It is amazing every month. Not much else to say.

--

Leila De Duca will be announcing a new image title at Image Expo. Hopefully she doesn't leave Shutter. That book would lose so much without her.

xptoxyz

Hi. Is anything on the Comixology Joker sale a good quality "arc" to read by itself? Death in the family is well know, and I know "of the family" is recent. But that's about the extent of what I know. Thanks.

I will admit being played by 4 different women at once would make her more interesting to me.

Carol has lost some of her appeal since she became the founder of #TeamStupid in Civil War II.

Leila De Duca will be announcing a new image title at Image Expo. Hopefully she doesn't leave Shutter. That book would lose so much without her.

I feel like her art is half of that book's identity. Sometimes Keatinge is a bit vague in the script and she comes up with a lot of these crazy characters herself.

Mitch

Banned
After I finish Saga, I'm not sure what I should start next.

Black Science, The Walking Dead or more Batman (N52)? If I start one I'll focus on it until I'm caught up.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Sweet!!!!!!*

I was so happy she got to do The Morrigan issue of WicDiv.

*unless it affects Shutter.

After I finish Saga, I'm not sure what I should start next.

Black Science, The Walking Dead or more Batman (N52)? If I start one I'll focus on it until I'm caught up.

Hmmm, I'd go...

Black Science
Snyder/Capullo Batman
Then Walking Dead.

They're all great so I'm just arranging them in how long it will take you to catch up with them, really

frye

Hi. Is anything on the Comixology Joker sale a good quality "arc" to read by itself? Death in the family is well know, and I know "of the family" is recent. But that's about the extent of what I know. Thanks.

The Man Who Laughs is a pretty good one-shot that slots right into the Year One timeline (and one of the better comics that does that). Also features one of the few times Doug Mahnke inks himself which means it looks fuckin great

Mitch

Banned
Hmmm, I'd go...

Black Science
Snyder/Capullo Batman
Then Walking Dead.

They're all great so I'm just arranging them in how long it will take you to catch up with them, really
I finished the first arc of Batman, which was up to issue #12 IIRC. How many issues is Black Science at?

TWD is pretty far along, so saving that for later seems like the better idea.

Messi

Carol has lost some of her appeal since she became the founder of #TeamStupid in Civil War II.

I feel like her art is half of that book's identity. Sometimes Keatinge is a bit vague in the script and she comes up with a lot of these crazy characters herself.

I see we are still pre judging Carol before we see her motives.

xptoxyz

Check out Emperor Joker.

Thanks. Is it familiar as being the Joker from other comics? Given it seems much more involved with other DC characters than the usual ones from the covers. Also is the reading order given it spans different label(titles?) issues the one that is on the sale page?

The Man Who Laughs is a pretty good one-shot that slots right into the Year One timeline (and one of the better comics that does that). Also features one of the few times Doug Mahnke inks himself which means it looks fuckin great

Thanks.

tim1138

Korupt and whoever else was talking about Aquaman #50, you were absolutely right. That was a whole lot of fun and felt like it could have come from Parker's run.

Deadly Class is on the list already. I'll put the others on tentative. I actually saw the latest East of West at the comic shop. Looked pretty cool.

There are just so many great Image books right now. You could throw a dart at a comic rack with your eyes closed and hit a good Image book

edit: Just counted, I am reading 19 Image books right now and I love all 'em. Sheeeiit.

TheFlow

Banned
Serverbot listen I understand you. I know what you need for your soul

Low
Stray bullets
Deadly class
Sex criminals

That is it. Don't read anymore

Mitch

Banned
Serverbot listen I understand you. I know what you need for your soul

Low
Stray bullets
Deadly class
Sex criminals

That is it. Don't read anymore
Low is on the list as well! I'll look into Stray Bullets and Sex Criminals.

Going to have a bigger comic backlog than my video game backlog at this rate.

Messi

I'll add these to my backlog. I'm assuming all of them are Image. Surprised how great their lineup is.

Lesbian Bdsm friendship romance love story Sunstone by Stjepan Sejic is amazing and is my favorite book image publishes . I am being 100% serious. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Low
Deadly Class
Sex Criminals

Mitch

Banned
Lesbian Bdsm friendship romance love story Sunstone by Stjepan Sejic is amazing and is my favorite book image publishes . I am being 100% serious. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Low
Deadly Class
Sex Criminals
Sure thing. I'm open for something completely different.

Messi

Sure thing. I'm open for something completely different.

It's a lovely slice of life book about a budding relationship. Some lovely art and legitimately amazing facial expressions. Some of the best out there. It's written and drawn by the same guy Stjepan Sejic.

Paper Girls is Brian K Vaughns current book alongside Saga. Also amazing.

Messi

BTW I asked Leila del duca if she was leaving Shutter. She said nope and that she is still drawing it on a monthly basis and to rest easy. Yes!

Velvet
Rumble

Both quality titles. Love me some Rumble.

I'd add The Fade Out or Death Vigil for something different.

Hard to pick a bad image series tbh.

I think he has a good blend of cartoon and realism (veering more towards cartoon than a lot of artists, which I enjoy), a unique style, a great eye for composition, and panel layouts that never cross the line into overdone/confusing but aren't ever boring.

I don't think he's the best artist ever or anything, but I'm a huge fan of his style. It helps that he works with an excellent ink and coloring team.
I have a few issues with his approach tbh

I dont enjoy his style but I dont knock it for being what it is. I dont think its all that unique. Its essentially derivative of Todd McFarlane's style with some some wrinkles. It would be right at home in the 90s. Its a type of style weve seen before and Id argue it only feels unique because its mostly out of fashion. Capullo is to McFarlane what Reis is to Jim Lee or Finch is to Silvestri or Hitch is to Alan Davis. I think its a pretty clear line of influence.

His paneling is pretty functional. No problem there except for vertical establishing shots which really just seem like theyre there to get it over with.

His action is so and so. I dont really see much panel to panel flow. Like one panel is a punch and the next is another punch except maybe its bigger and then the third its something else but each panel seems independent of the other without much consequence to what follows. Its passable fight choreography.

His composition doesnt really strike me as anything special. He's not on the level of Aja or John Paul Leon or Risso. Its pretty functional. Occasionally i think theres an odd grouping of objects characters but its not often.

He does have a pretty ace ink and color team. That helps a lot.

If what I write here sounds a bit harsh its because Im grading him based on how hes mentioned as one of the top artists if not the best. Overall hes pretty solid and I definitely prefer his work to many other artists.
It's a sci-fi western about a guy who crash lands on a crazy ass planet and just has to survive

I suck at selling books :( It's rad though
Its also fucking gorgeous

http://sktchd.com/art-feature/clean...-a-look-at-the-art-of-drifter-with-nic-klein/

Im not sure what to think of Drifter just yet. It reads a lot like a Remender book. Sticking around until vol 2 at least.

Top Bottom