• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Mitch

Banned
Its also fucking gorgeous

http://sktchd.com/art-feature/clean...-a-look-at-the-art-of-drifter-with-nic-klein/

Im not sure what to think of Drifter just yet. It reads a lot like a Remender book. Sticking around until vol 2 at least.
Wow, I love that art. The setting is just what I like in a sci-fi.

He's absolutely right on all fronts. It's definitely worth reading.
Took a peek on Image's site. If I can find this at my LCS next Wednesday I'll skim through it for a few to get a feel for it.

Messi

Wow, I love that art. The setting is just what I like in a sci-fi.

Took a peek on Image's site. If I can find this at my LCS next Wednesday I'll skim through it for a few to get a feel for it.

Here's a very generous preview on CBR. It's the opening of the book and it should give you a nice idea of the tone of the two main characters. They feel very real to me and that is what appeals.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24674

Christian

Holy smokes, Comics-GAF, I'm so excited. I just bought a lot of Annihilation Conquest comics that includes the full series, plus the Wraith, Starlord, and Quasar tie-ins, Nova 4-7, and DnA Guardians of the Galaxy 1-3. I've been trying to get my hands on these for a while, and I've had the worst time finding them at a reasonable price. Ahhhhhh!! Cannot wait to read through them!!

Messi

Holy shit that ended at the worst possible moment.

Both of them freaking out was hilarious. Need more of this. Gotta fit it in my already huge backlog. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's how a good preview works :p. There are 4 volumes out now with the 5th being worked on via his deviantArt page. The books are the best experience.

Btw each trade gets bigger in size and stays at $15. First book is 128 pages (story plus bonus content jokes and such) fourth is 160 pages that are all story lol.

That's how a good preview works :p. There are 4 volumes out now with the 5th being worked on via his deviantArt page. The books are the best experience. Btw each trade gets bigger in size and stays at $15

I'm assuming the current strips are just going to be reprinted in the trade, as they don't require the re-drawing that the older strips did, yeah?

Messi

I'm assuming the current strips are just going to be reprinted in the trade, as they don't require the re-drawing that the older strips did, yeah?

He is still redoing the art as it goes to trade even for Vol 5. He seems to do quick art for the Web version and puts more time into the art when changing over to trade. Let's him get strips out on deviantArt quicker.

Also the story format changes in trade. The layouts and such.

He posted 3 strips yesterday.

He is still redoing the art as it goes to trade even for Vol 5. He seems to do quick art for the Web version and puts more time into the art when changing over to trade. Let's him get strips out on deviantArt quicker.

Really? Because the art in the recent strips is waaaay better than the early stuff. He could release it as is and people wouldn't complain.

Boogiepop

Guys, if we're giving book recommendations, I consider Transformers: More than Meets the Eye a super important one to throw out there, as that book is super crazy awesome and there is no way people will stumble upon it without an explicit recommendation. Like, even if you don't like Transformers. Hell, even if you explicitly dislike Transformers, give it a try, as it's really, really good.

IDW's TMNT also deserves a mention as well, as that's also quite great.

(Just wanted to throw that out there amongst all the awesome Image stuff already mentioned).

Messi

Really? Because the art in the recent strips is waaaay better than the early stuff. He could release it as is and people wouldn't complain.

Seems to be a bit if a perfectionist at times. He is taking a break to build up strips after Vol 5. So mercy Vol 1 won't ship until summer next year at the earliest but it will be going up on deviantArt well before that as he works in it. This way he can release the mercy trades quick fire like he did with Sunstone.

By that method I'm sure in a years time his art will be even better and he will have tried new things then going back and fixing it pre trade.

TheFlow

Banned
IDW Samurai Jack is also all canon.

action panels are amazing.

Not interested in gem. but when I have money to blow I will add #1 to my cart.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
How do I get to this level? I can't even get Bleeding Cool to acknowledge me :(

Don't know. It's probably a lot harder to achieve these days as there are fewer message boards and the ones that are still around (like CBR) are far less busy than they used to be.

Now they can just ask you for money instead of hype thanks to sites like Kickstarter.

Messi

IDW Samurai Jack is also all canon.

action panels are amazing.

Not interested in gem. but when I have money to blow I will add #1 to my cart.

You should just for Sophie Campbell's art.

It is very good. I just wish they offered back ups on CMX.

Sometimes I think you and KSzam from the Comixologist podcast might be twins separated at birth.

I didn't know cmx had a podcast and I have no idea if that statement is a positive or a negative lol.

VanWinkle

Dial H...man what a crazy comic. I think I have two more issues left. If somebody told me this was a Grant Morrison comic I would 100% believe them. I would believe that China Mieville is a pseudonym.

It's very, very good. I am glad to experience it.

I will say, though, that the first half or so has art by Mateus Santolouco, whereas the later issues were Albert Pontecilli, and I VASTLY preferred Santolouco's art. I also disliked pretty much every cover, which was all done by Brian Bolland.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I didn't know cmx had a podcast and I have no idea if that statement is a positive or a negative lol.

They have two actually. One where they talk about each weeks new realeases and another one where they interview creators about their upcoming projects.

And it's definitely not a negative. She was the one that got me to give Hex11 a try.

International Iron Man #1
THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOOOOOOOOOWN THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOOOOOOOOOWN

Extraordinary X-Men #8
So this is how it begins... Wait, why Colossus? Weird ass decisions

Which of he current Bat comics in the current sale are worth reading? I have the full Batman run. Is Nightwing good or do I just skip to Grayson? Batgirl? I'm thinking of diving in pre-Rebirth, but don't know what's worth it.

New 52 Nightwing is okay. Barrows makes that book while he was on it. It's a lot of missed potential, where the first chunk is Batman-lite, and the rest is a shittier rehash of him going to Bludhaven. Mostly because it feela cut short, because then Forever Evil happens and then Grayson. It's up to you if you want to read it, but I doubt it's necessary.

Ambient80

Anyone here using Marvel Unlimited and unable to change their password? I've tried like five times and now it won't even send me an email with a link to change it. I emailed their support crew a week ago and have heard nothing back at all. I hadn't logged in for a while and they said there were new password requirements and I needed to change my password before I could log in.

This sucks :( I was looking forward to using my new iPad Pro 12.9" to read some beautiful comics but now I'm locked outta my account, it seems.

EDIT: When I clicked the link on the couple emails I got to change my password it either said the link was no longer valid (I clicked it as soon as I got it in my email) or once I chose a password it kept saying it was invalid even though it met all of their password requirements.

tim1138

I have a few issues with his approach tbh

I dont enjoy his style but I dont knock it for being what it is. I dont think its all that unique. Its essentially derivative of Todd McFarlane's style with some some wrinkles. It would be right at home in the 90s. Its a type of style weve seen before and Id argue it only feels unique because its mostly out of fashion. Capullo is to McFarlane what Reis is to Jim Lee or Finch is to Silvestri or Hitch is to Alan Davis. I think its a pretty clear line of influence.

His paneling is pretty functional. No problem there except for vertical establishing shots which really just seem like theyre there to get it over with.

His action is so and so. I dont really see much panel to panel flow. Like one panel is a punch and the next is another punch except maybe its bigger and then the third its something else but each panel seems independent of the other without much consequence to what follows. Its passable fight choreography.

His composition doesnt really strike me as anything special. He's not on the level of Aja or John Paul Leon or Risso. Its pretty functional. Occasionally i think theres an odd grouping of objects characters but its not often.

He does have a pretty ace ink and color team. That helps a lot.

If what I write here sounds a bit harsh its because Im grading him based on how hes mentioned as one of the top artists if not the best. Overall hes pretty solid and I definitely prefer his work to many other artists.

Its also fucking gorgeous

http://sktchd.com/art-feature/clean...-a-look-at-the-art-of-drifter-with-nic-klein/

Im not sure what to think of Drifter just yet. It reads a lot like a Remender book. Sticking around until vol 2 at least.

Despite the fact that Capullo drew Spawn for a million years I've honestly never made any connection between him and MacFarlane. His early work to me was always closer to Liefeld, although even then he was more talented than Rob ever will be. Obviously there was a bit of a visual difference when Capullo tooknow over on X-Force after Liefeld left to cofound Image, but I always felt that (back then at least) the layouts and page structure stayed fairly similar. Now it's been a few years since I've read any of those old X-Force comics, so my memory might be a little hazy.

All that said, I think Capullo is a fantastic penciler and whoever colored him during Zero Year and Endgame should be his permanent colorist.

Holy smokes, Comics-GAF, I'm so excited. I just bought a lot of Annihilation Conquest comics that includes the full series, plus the Wraith, Starlord, and Quasar tie-ins, Nova 4-7, and DnA Guardians of the Galaxy 1-3. I've been trying to get my hands on these for a while, and I've had the worst time finding them at a reasonable price. Ahhhhhh!! Cannot wait to read through them!!
Cool! It's some good marvel cosmic reading. Hope you enjoy them. Make sure to post your impressions

Black Panther (Priest) #1 - #8 : Holy shit.

"Did we all mishear you."

"No, you did not."

Loved Achebe's Keyser Soze type of introduction (with that brilliant two page spread of the chase across the sand).

Martin Freeman is going to be so perfect for Ross.

Anyone here using Marvel Unlimited and unable to change their password? I've tried like five times and now it won't even send me an email with a link to change it. I emailed their support crew a week ago and have heard nothing back at all. I hadn't logged in for a while and they said there were new password requirements and I needed to change my password before I could log in.

This sucks :( I was looking forward to using my new iPad Pro 12.9" to read some beautiful comics but now I'm locked outta my account, it seems.

EDIT: When I clicked the link on the couple emails I got to change my password it either said the link was no longer valid (I clicked it as soon as I got it in my email) or once I chose a password it kept saying it was invalid even though it met all of their password requirements.

Wow, sorry dude. I did it last night and it worked fine.

Messi

Wat

10632517_978584885564347_322055894_n.jpg

Apparently this is a thing? Celebs on sandwiches.

The All New 52 Shazam series Was only a minieries, right?

So far yeah.

Maybe Rebirth's second wave will give him a title, but I think that's been speculated since Trinity War. Otherwise he's just been in Justice League with a few cameos in Cyborg, Batman & Robin.

New 52 Nightwing is okay. Barrows makes that book while he was on it. It's a lot of missed potential, where the first chunk is Batman-lite, and the rest is a shittier rehash of him going to Bludhaven. Mostly because it feela cut short, because then Forever Evil happens and then Grayson. It's up to you if you want to read it, but I doubt it's necessary.

Thanks. Will wait for the series relaunch then.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I want to do this:

I think we've done it before, but I think it'll be fun to post top ten favorite series/runs/whatever. My favorites change all the time but I'll try to think of something.

But are there any restrictions, do they have to be longer series? Because in the lists posted I didn't see anything like Watchmen. Can I just do a overall top 10?

Zombine

Banned
IDW's Dredd stuff has been cool for the past arc or so. Still doesn't even come close to the 2000AD progs though.

I want to do this:

But are there any restrictions, do they have to be longer series? Because in the lists posted I didn't see anything like Watchmen. Can I just do a overall top 10?
No restrictions, just post whatever you really like. I posted a graphic novel for one of my choices (You Are Here).

Mitch

Banned
Saga is too good. My plan was to wait until the next hardcover comes out to continue reading, but I don't know if I can wait that long.

Jon Berenthal is a good fucking actor
Agreed. Easily the best part of Daredevil season 2 IMO.

Top Bottom