• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

PsychBat!

Banned
Medusa pegging Black Bolt/Johnny Storm repeatedly

lyj13oSrkNp_HqTkbKa0CdcRe7lkPc_IKjH9SaQPU4g.png

I wanna collect Ultimate Spiderman and I like their 12 issue Ultimate collections...but they had an almost 2 year gap between Vol 4 and 5, and then Vol 6 is due out in June...does anyone know if Marvel actually plan on doing it with any sort of regularity and finishing it or should I pester Bendis on twitter?
Creators at the big 2 have little input into collected edition iirc collected editions editor is who you would want to pester

Getting ready to start a new D&D campaign and I'm basing the whole thing off of Time Runs Out. Should be fun, I have all kinds of places and characters I'm going to have the heroes wipe out wholesale. Yeah, they'll kill off Eberron, Dark Sun, Ravenloft etc. but Ponyville and the Justice League are at the top of my list.

I think I have the whole meta-plot figured out in a D&D way too. There is still a Doom-esque characters and Beyonders stand-ins, but their plans and machinations are going to be a little different.

PsychBat!

Banned
Getting ready to start a new D&D campaign and I'm basing the whole thing off of Time Runs Out. Should be fun, I have all kinds of places and characters I'm going to have the heroes wipe out wholesale. Yeah, they'll kill off Eberron, Dark Sun, Ravenloft etc. but Ponyville and the Justice League are at the top of my list.

I think I have the whole meta-plot figured out in a D&D way too. There is still a Doom-esque characters and Beyonders stand-ins, but their plans and machinations are going to be a little different.

Sounds like the greatest thing ever made. Have fun man.

Incredible Hulk was really forgettable. I don't want to say it was terrible but it just doesn't have the scale of any other MCU movie. Imma pretend it was an Agents of SHIELD episode.

List for this week:
Tokyo Ghost #6
Megg and Mogg In Amsterdam
And I guess I have to get Howard the Duck since it's crossing over with Squirrel Girl

light week

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Really liked Birthright #1. Gonna pick the rest up soon.

Thief of Thieves #1 was ok. I'll continue it at some point. I can wait for a sale though.

Next up Drifter.

Aizo

Banned
Tokyo Ghost and Cultural Appropriation
I want to talk about Tokyo Ghost a little bit. This may be an unpopular opinion, and I imagine it's a generally unrelatable opinion for many of you, but I will try to explain myself—I thought the writing of this comic was extremely bad.

I want to state that my opinion is first and foremost influenced by my relationship with Japan, and this is where I can imagine many people saying "Oh, Remender is just having fun," "It's cool. He's using Japanese imagery, so he obviously respects it," or "It's stupid to find it offensive. It's not like it's racist." His representation of Japan is highly misguided, and it feels often like nothing more than ignorant fetishism of a misunderstood culture. I am not offended by the work on the grounds that it is racist or insulting to Japanese people, but I am annoyed with the shallow view of Japan when it's such a integral part of the comic as a whole.

It could be that as someone who lives in Japan and loves the history, art, culture, language, music, and literature created here, I am being far more critical of aspects that don't bother many people in general. I accept that, but I don't think that makes my critiques any less appropriate.

There is what, one Japanese person in the comic? It's mostly a bunch of white guys with Japanese swords. The role of women in the comic is about as important as the role of Japan; women are used as nothing more than something to look at (the number of topless shots is completely unnecessary and classless, and showing a few limp dicks is not the same thing at all). Japan only exists as some serene set pieces with culture to be used as a women by white males to fight each other. What is the point of involving Japan at all? The dialogue often felt childish, and I was honestly shocked that Remender would write characters consistently poorly. I understand that art is generally subjective, but there is a certain bar of quality based on the grand history of many mediums with which we juxtapose works. Therefore, I would argue that those who found the writing to be fantastic pick up a respected piece of literature. Perhaps that's harsh, but I heard people laud the writing of this book. I think that's insane.

In conclusion, I found the whole volume to be highly misrepresentative of Japan and wholly out of touch with Japan's history, culture, and its people in general. In addition, the writing feels like some of the weakest I have read from Remender, and the lead female mostly exists to take her top off—a trope in comics that I had wished Remender could evolve past. The art, though, is wonderful.

Owzers

Read another issue of Vader, #2, the series seems to have a better overall focus than the main Star Wars book but we'll see.

We shall see.

Playoffs today were a mistake, i'm hoping the Pistons put up a fight and maybe the blazers/clippers is decent. The celtics/hawks and raptors/team i already forgot were close but i don't care about any of them.

I think he probably chose that setting because feudal Japan was so drastically different than the place the main characters came from, and conveyed an atmosphere of serenity. I can't speak to whether any of that was misrepresented or not, so I'll take your word for it. As to the presence of so many non-Asian characters, I think that the book is set so far in the future that it's become something of a post-racial society, and that may be the justification in Remender's mind. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just my take on it. This isn't feudal Japan, just a future society based on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No time for comics only Dark Souls list

Clean Room #7
Doctor Fate #11
East of West #25
Huck #6
Invincible #127
Lazarus Sourcebook #1
Switch #3
Tokyo Ghost #6
Totally Awesome Hulk #5
Dark Souls #1

Boogiepop

I want to talk about Tokyo Ghost a little bit. This may be an unpopular opinion, and I imagine it's a generally unrelatable opinion for many of you, but I will try to explain myself—I thought the writing of this comic was extremely bad.

I want to state that my opinion is first and foremost influenced by my relationship with Japan, and this is where I can imagine many people saying "Oh, Remender is just having fun," "It's cool. He's using Japanese imagery, so he obviously respects it," or "It's stupid to find it offensive. It's not like it's racist." His representation of Japan is highly misguided, and it feels often like nothing more than ignorant fetishism of a misunderstood culture. I am not offended by the work on the grounds that it is racist or insulting to Japanese people, but I am annoyed with the shallow view of Japan when it's such a integral part of the comic as a whole.

It could be that as someone who lives in Japan and loves the history, art, culture, language, music, and literature created here, I am being far more critical of aspects that don't bother many people in general. I accept that, but I don't think that makes my critiques any less appropriate.

There is what, one Japanese person in the comic? It's mostly a bunch of white guys with Japanese swords. The role of women in the comic is about as important as the role of Japan; women are used as nothing more than something to look at (the number of topless shots is completely unnecessary and classless, and showing a few limp dicks is not the same thing at all). Japan only exists as some serene set pieces with culture to be used as a women by white males to fight each other. What is the point of involving Japan at all? The dialogue often felt childish, and I was honestly shocked that Remender would write characters consistently poorly. I understand that art is generally subjective, but there is a certain bar of quality based on the grand history of many mediums with which we juxtapose works. Therefore, I would argue that those who found the writing to be fantastic pick up a respected piece of literature. Perhaps that's harsh, but I heard people laud the writing of this book. I think that's insane.

In conclusion, I found the whole volume to be highly misrepresentative of Japan and wholly out of touch with Japan's history, culture, and its people in general. In addition, the writing feels like some of the weakest I have read from Remender, and the lead female mostly exists to take her top off—a trope in comics that I had wished Remender could evolve past. The art, though, is wonderful.

Dang, that sucks. Was looking forward to reading it in the future, but that turns me off. That kind of stuff always bugs me in comics, though it does have varying degrees of bad (at worst hitting things like everybody being like samurai in old style mansions with ninja henchmen with "Japanese" names that don't fit at all, and occasionally some scribbles instead of actually doing research/consulting for whatever they may want to do with kanji, while at other times they'll get real close, but then there will be a few frustratingly "off" details). (I'll admit I'm probably a little picky/"close" to the matter as I work in Japanese and have at least done a study abroad, though I'm loath to say such things as I feel like I'm drifting dangerously close to saying "I'm an expert" or some crap, when people who've actually lived there would be far, far more knowledgeable than I am. Just saying that it probably bugs me far more than the average reader, so it's probably more of a "personal" issue I guess).

I realize it's probably tight margins that would prevent such a thing, but I really wish when comics went significantly in "depth" on stuff with another culture, they'd at least have someone from that culture give it a glance before it got too far developed, but oh well.

Edit: Also, I know literally nothing about the book except the name and that it's Remender.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Chew Demon Chicken Poyo #1
Cry Havoc #4
East of West #25
Lazarus Sourcebook #1
Mirror #3
Switch #3
Tokyo Ghost #6

7 books in one week! BallerGAF here I come!

Owzers

I thought Debbie was the heart of the book, her lumbering semi-unconscious boyfriend who gave up control for power was the sidekick she was sticking with out of shared history and hoping for a better future even though she knows he's mostly lost. My gripe was how it all unraveled when they went to Japan, which could have been any no-tech zone, in how
the people that beat up the guy just happened to also be in Japan too and them attacking him lead to even more disaster.

frye

I thought Debbie was the heart of the book, her lumbering semi-unconscious boyfriend who gave up control for power was the sidekick she was sticking with out of shared history and hoping for a better future even though she knows he's mostly lost. My gripe was how it all unraveled when they went to Japan, which could have been any no-tech zone, in how
the people that beat up the guy just happened to also be in Japan too and them attacking him lead to even more disaster.

yeah, i think the idea that women in Tokyo Ghost are only there to get their tits out is a misreading, Debbie is easily the most realized character in the comic as well as the character it probably cares about the most

kinda agree with everything else tho

e: i've said it before but there's just something that doesn't work at all with all these sci-fi comics Remender's writing for Image

Hmmm i always planned on buying tokyo ghost but now i might plan on actually reading it. Hrm

This reminds me of a kickstarter i saw last year. It was about a woman who came back from the dead to enact her revenge on the gang that killed her.

The character was hispanic/latina so of course she came back in day of the dead make up tits hanging out double fisting handguns.

The writer described how he was influenced by the beauty of a day of the dead celebration he saw in mexico so naturally he wrote a sexed up version of ghost rider b/c that fits in with what day of the dead is about.

Good job good effort

This also reminds me of Maria in Deadly Class. Her outfit/look takes me out of the book a lot of times. There was also the whole Iron Nail thing. Maybe Remender is an oblivious white guy like the many white guys writing comics before him

frye

Maybe Remender is an oblivious white guy like the many white guys writing comics before him

dude had a guy lookin straight up like fu manchu

in 2014

had this guy get his powers from a fuckin dragon

in 2014

even had a secret base in the great wall of fuckin china

in 2014

JL vs. TT was a fun movie. I genuinely liked this one, as opposed to the way most of the DC animated movies are only at the higher end of tolerable. Also that sequel teaser at the end with
Terra.
Yasssss

Wedding are fun.
But I didnt dared to ask the hot girls here to dancf. With me :(
I worked with a girl whom I'll never work with again because she was only training at our store for a week and I won't work with her for the rest of it.

Pretty sure it was love at first sight. RIP my dreams.
The books have a much longer time frame for the events of the story than the film and with that comes a lot more depth and development, it doesn't hurt that the art is great too. I enjoyed the film although I do think the books are a better story overall. I will say if you loved the film at the very least reading the books will help you appreciate it more as you'll be able to see panels and scenes which were perfectly translated to film. Edgar did a fantastic job with the casting and visuals of the film.
Yeah the visuals were what really struck me. I really liked the characters, but the drama wasn't strong enough in the movie. I mean, it was strong enough to keep me invested, but not as strong as I wanted. Good to know that the books develop that more. I mean, in the movie they straight up skip over the Katuyanagi Twins as far as their backstory with Ramona goes.

Also, Ramona is not the best person. Scott's a piece of shit. Wallace is da bess.
Medusa is my favorite Inhuman. I'd like a solo title about Medusa.
Eh she's really not sol-
Medusa pegging Black Bolt/Johnny Storm repeatedly
-SUPPORTED!
Nah, she needs a crew.

Best inhuman is still Kamala and then Crystal and Quake.

Quake was around before Kamala was even an idea.

I like Naja also

Naja is super cool. Also tsundere.

Loved Naja in the SW tie-in.

Different person

This is Naja

How did no one mention she was in Agents of Shield. I would have watched it for her.
She wasn't.
I meant her past was likely that she was a model.
I think she was just a latina college student.

Besides, y'all fucking wrong.

tools.jpg

Lockjaw is the best. Fall back nerds

I imagine you're right about this not being a popular opinion but FWIW I completely agree with you. His "appreciation" of the culture is on the level of Katy Perry dressing as a geisha on stage that one time.

I should probably acknowledge that I don't think Remender is a particularly good writer in general. Low is simplistic and trite and even the best thing I've read from him, Fear Agent, has similar struggles to TG in that it doesn't find a balance between what it's an homage to (in this case pulp sci-fi comics like EC) and what Remender wants to do with it. So often his work comes down to "why did you pick this if you were just going to do that?" I don't even think experience with literary fiction is necessary to separate out Remember as an awkward writer; reading Moore, Milligan, Busiek and Ellis etc. should do that just fine.

He also consistently works with artists who are better at what they do than he is at what he does. Tocchini, Moore, Murphy and I think his next Image book is with Jerome Opena, continuing the tradition. It's almost as frustrating as Mark Millar working with Stuart Immonen.

I just finished reading volume 1 of Locke & Key. I really liked it, though I'm not sure how I feel about the art. The faces are very cartoonish which normally wouldn't bother me... But I find something about the style very ugly. It's like Doonesbury crossed with anime.

Still, the story is interesting enough that I'll be picking up volume 2.

shingi70

Banned
Two best Inhumans right here.
Lockjaw.png

I have a soft sport for Eldric from Soule's Inhuman. He was that werid inhuman who got turned into a gate when he went through Terragenesis, and the other inhumans told him to be thankful for being a piece of furniture while they used to teleport around the world.

So were being Clear Lockjaw is actually a superpowered dog right, cause him being a former human is kinda fucked and depressing.

Top Bottom