• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Ponn

Banned
Welp, was right about that AoA omnibus. I was just taking it out of my bookshelf to look at it and the dust cover ripped down the middle of the spine.

Messi

Some first issues just aren't created equal. First issue of Southern Bastards was great, hooks you right away.

Read the first trade of Shutter, need to read more.

Both fantastic series.

Welp, was right about that AoA omnibus. I was just taking it out of my bookshelf to look at it and the dust cover ripped down the middle of the spine.

Dust jackets taking another L as is Marvels QC department. Down with dust jackets.

Sorry about your book.

frye

reread the first dozen Morrison/Case Doom Patrols in that biggish trade that recently came out and was reminded how good superhero comics can be sometimes

Messi

Surprised Messi and Freeza aren't flipping out over Tess Fowler leaving Rat Queens and the book going on hiatus

Wait what?

The fuck is even happening right now

Edit : not like this. Seriously. Something has to have happened. He was just writing the new volume :(

reread the first dozen Morrison/Case Doom Patrols in that biggish trade that recently came out and was reminded how good superhero comics can be sometimes
Kinda want to reread that once I eventually get through the Silver Age stuff. I keep thinking about how good it is still.

Guess I should finish Animal Man too. I really like it but I just haven't sat down and read the rest.

Tokyo Ghost and Cultural Appropriation
I want to talk about Tokyo Ghost a little bit. This may be an unpopular opinion, and I imagine it's a generally unrelatable opinion for many of you, but I will try to explain myself—I thought the writing of this comic was extremely bad.

I want to state that my opinion is first and foremost influenced by my relationship with Japan, and this is where I can imagine many people saying "Oh, Remender is just having fun," "It's cool. He's using Japanese imagery, so he obviously respects it," or "It's stupid to find it offensive. It's not like it's racist." His representation of Japan is highly misguided, and it feels often like nothing more than ignorant fetishism of a misunderstood culture. I am not offended by the work on the grounds that it is racist or insulting to Japanese people, but I am annoyed with the shallow view of Japan when it's such a integral part of the comic as a whole.

It could be that as someone who lives in Japan and loves the history, art, culture, language, music, and literature created here, I am being far more critical of aspects that don't bother many people in general. I accept that, but I don't think that makes my critiques any less appropriate.

There is what, one Japanese person in the comic? It's mostly a bunch of white guys with Japanese swords. The role of women in the comic is about as important as the role of Japan; women are used as nothing more than something to look at (the number of topless shots is completely unnecessary and classless, and showing a few limp dicks is not the same thing at all). Japan only exists as some serene set pieces with culture to be used as a women by white males to fight each other. What is the point of involving Japan at all? The dialogue often felt childish, and I was honestly shocked that Remender would write characters consistently poorly. I understand that art is generally subjective, but there is a certain bar of quality based on the grand history of many mediums with which we juxtapose works. Therefore, I would argue that those who found the writing to be fantastic pick up a respected piece of literature. Perhaps that's harsh, but I heard people laud the writing of this book. I think that's insane.

In conclusion, I found the whole volume to be highly misrepresentative of Japan and wholly out of touch with Japan's history, culture, and its people in general. In addition, the writing feels like some of the weakest I have read from Remender, and the lead female mostly exists to take her top off—a trope in comics that I had wished Remender could evolve past. The art, though, is wonderful.

There are a lot of PoC living in Japan in the book than white guys. The community as a whole is diverse if not mixed since this is the distant future and Japan is seen as the last safe haven for anyone around the world who wants to be free from technology. Debbie is the only female characters who wears a top and skirt but it just matches how she used to dress back in LA (crop top and short shorts). Debbie's sexual nature has some weight to it and doesn't feel cheap. It helps a lot that Murphy's art is able to convey that. She's far from a weak female character. She's THE main character next to Teddie. I won't defend the books use of the "white people go to foreign land to find themselves" trope. It's plainly there but I don't think Remender misrepresents Japan at all in fact I find it interesting that for a book that takes place in the future he decided that instead of Japan turning in Neo-Tokyo and have it be a technological cyberpunk city, a country that is always pointed to for advancing technology, Japan would revert back to it's past. Calling it Neo-Bushido is a little silly but hey comic books.

Has any image book ever admitted that they're done? Other than the series that hit the end of a fixed plot? They just... go on hiatus and never come back.

frye

Kinda want to reread that once I eventually get through the Silver Age stuff. I keep thinking about how good it is still.

Guess I should finish Animal Man too. I really like it but I just haven't sat down and read the rest.

i kinda really dislike a lot of the art in Animal Man so i'm much less inclined to go through it again even though it's been ages

Richard Case is probably Morrison's strongest longform collaborator though, really like him

arkon

Has any image book ever admitted that they're done? Other than the series that hit the end of a fixed plot? They just... go on hiatus and never come back.

Stuff like Secret Identities and Umbral recently have. The creators made it clear that sales weren't good enough to sustain the books any longer.

Messi

Probably.

I am curious to know the reason, though. It could have gone a long way with the right artist.

They had that in Roc. The book has been on a deathslide since. I'd say he has just lost interest and doesn't want to fix the problems people had with it becoming fairly serious.

Also sales just dropped down to 11k, #11 last August/Sept was 14.5k ish. Thats why its going away, that shit is trending into the toilet.

It seems like maybe five comics actually sell decent numbers these days. Star Wars. Batman. The Walking Dead. Spider-Man. Maaaaybe Deadpool.

You see a monthly bump for Rebirth/Rebooted #1s, followed by the slide into oblivion. Maybe TPBs sell, I don't know.

The industry is dead. We need more Liefeld books.

They had that in Roc. The book has been on a deathslide since. I'd say he has just lost interest and doesn't want to fix the problems people had with it becoming fairly serious.

Also sales just dropped down to 11k, #11 last August/Sept was 14.5k ish. Thats why its going away, that shit is trending into the toilet.
Rat Queens has a dedicated fanbase. The fans will keep the book alive during hiatus. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Stokoe to write and draw Orc Stain again.

Rat Queens has a dedicated fanbase. The fans will keep the book alive. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Stokoe to write and draw Orc Stain again.

What issue did he leave off at? I feel like that book was on an Image United style release schedule. I mean, it's not surprising with the detail of the artwork, but still...

Messi

Rat Queens has a dedicated fanbase. The fans will keep the book alive during hiatus. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Stokoe to write and draw Orc Stain again.

I'd imagine those fans are gonna be waiting a long ass time. I don't think we will ever see Rat Queens again. :/

What issue did he leave off at? I feel like that book was on an Image United style release schedule. I mean, it's not surprising with the detail of the artwork, but still...

#7 which came out in 2012 and was the start of a new story arc. I don't know what he's been doing ever since.

mreddie

fairly sure that book is fucked even though its been getting better.

Yep, alone with...

99. Contest of Champions #6 - 19.9k
104. Venom: Space Knight #5 - 18.8k
106. Vision #5 - 18.6k
107. Web Warriors #5 - 18.6k
108. Guardians of Infinity #4 - 18.6k
112. Agents of SHIELD #3 - 18.1k
114. Howard the Duck #5 - 18k
117. Star-Lord #5 - 17.3k
118. Nova #5 - 16.8k
124. Patsy Walker aka. Hellcat #4 - 15.9k
129. Angela: Queen of Hel #6 - 14.9k
130. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #5 - 14.7k
143. Illuminati #5 - 13.5k
144. Black Knight #5 - 13.5k
149. Drax #5 - 13k
152. Hercules #5 - 12.7k
153. Howling Commandos of SHIELD #6 - 12.7k
163. Weirdworld #4 - 11.9k
175. Red Wolf #4 - 9.9k
223. Starbrand and Nightmask #4 - 6.6k

BOLD for those we already know that are canned.

Messi

Yep, alone with...

99. Contest of Champions #6 - 19.9k
104. Venom: Space Knight #5 - 18.8k
106. Vision #5 - 18.6k
107. Web Warriors #5 - 18.6k
108. Guardians of Infinity #4 - 18.6k
112. Agents of SHIELD #3 - 18.1k
114. Howard the Duck #5 - 18k
117. Star-Lord #5 - 17.3k
118. Nova #5 - 16.8k
124. Patsy Walker aka. Hellcat #4 - 15.9k
129. Angela: Queen of Hel #6 - 14.9k
130. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #5 - 14.7k
143. Illuminati #5 - 13.5k
144. Black Knight #5 - 13.5k
149. Drax #5 - 13k
152. Hercules #5 - 12.7k
153. Howling Commandos of SHIELD #6 - 12.7k
163. Weirdworld #4 - 11.9k
175. Red Wolf #4 - 9.9k
223. Starbrand and Nightmask #4 - 6.6k

BOLD for those we already know that are canned.

Yikes, I will be really sad when we lose Howard T Duck, Patsy Walker and Weirdworld :(.

mreddie

Yikes, I will be really sad when we lose Howard T Duck, Patsy Walker and Weirdworld :(.

Hellcat might pull a SG and it's digital sales/trade will keep it afloat, Howard I feel got lost in the Secret Wars crap and Weirdworld, well...has no name to keep it hot.

Messi

Hellcat might pull a SG and it's digital sales/trade will keep it afloat, Howard I feel got lost in the Secret Wars crap and Weirdworld, well...has no name to keep it hot.

Howard I feel has the best chance out of all of them to be ok. I guess we don't know how they are doing digitally. But I feel like Howard is well liked online. I guess Chips name doesn't hold as much value as I thought.

Hellcat, I am praying is a Gotham Academy/Ms Marvel/Squirrel Girl situation as you say where the digital book far outsells the physical.

Weirdworld is great imo and visually stunning but nothing is going to save it.

Messi

I'm waiting for him to do anything at all really.

Did you enjoy his spread in Secret Wars Siege?

pdacvovscgaj4gp41nsl.jpg

shingi70

Banned
Gotta go to the hospital tomorrow, have a large painful bump on my backould make it hard to move my arm. Here's hoping its just a cyst that needs to be lanced.

Messi

Gotta go to the hospital tomorrow, have a large painful bump on my backould make it hard to move my arm. Here's hoping its just a cyst that needs to be lanced.

Is it under your arm in your armpit? if so it could be an infected lymph node. I had that a few years ago and it was very painful and made it hard to move my arm.

Best of luck dude. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

shingi70

Banned
Is it under your arm in your armpit? if so it could be an infected lymph node. I had that a few years ago and it was very painful and made it hard to move my arm.

Best of luck dude. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Nope it's on my back/should blade almost on the other side of my left armpit.

shingi70

Banned
Avenger's Assemble is pretty decent these days.

Why in god's name do we have to endure so much pain. This is somehow so much more painful than when I got my appendix taken out or when I nearly broke my leg last year.

Top Bottom