• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Zombine

Banned
American Vampire: Anthology #2

There's likely a sneak peak of the next arc

Now the folks at Vertigo are proud to announce the latest American Vampire anthology, which will feature stories ranging from the American dustbowl and the South, to pre-Revolution Russia, and to the earliest days of American vampirism.

Included in this anthology are writers Steve Orlando (Midnighter) Marguerite Bennett (DC Bombshells) Joelle Jones (Ladykiller) Elliott Kalan (The Daily Show with John Stewart, Spider-Man and the X-Men) Clay McLeod Chapman (Storage Space, Edge of Spider-verse) Kieron Gillen (Wicked + Divine) and, last but certainly not least, series creators Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque.

Artists on this latest anthology are Artyom Trakhanov (Undertow) Stephanie Hans (Angela) Andrea Mutti (Rebels) Rafael Albuquerque, Joelle Jones (Ladykiller). More writers and artists yet to be announced will be joining this anthology as well.

🙇

Pollux

I would think so. With comics there is always some sort of backstory that you may be missing when you jump in, but like Wrestling or TV Soap Opera's it won't take you long to catch up on what's happening. Comics have a very long winded way of telling a simple story, and if you are confused about anything at all a simple google search will fill you in.

Short answer is yes. Ling answer is that some carry over stories from the previous series, notably Thor. However, they are great places to jump on. You won't lose much by doing so.

Awesome thanks. are these all the new main lines going forward? So the next time there's a big cross over event it will be with these books?

Read some comics last night!

Got caught up on Low and like what Remender is doing with
Della, not entirely sure where she stands.
The Beauty #1 was a good first issue, I want to see what happens next.

Autumanlands #1, like the art here, though the animal people was a little off putting, I was okay with it by the end.

Supreme Blue Rose #1 again, loved the art and am interested where this could go.

Going to try and get through some or all of Southern Bastards this weekend.

Didn't care for the movie. Haven't read the books.

prob my favorite series ever

They're good enough that your opinion of the movie will probably drop by the time you finish reading them. It's a fun flick but it doesn't do the GNs justice.

They recently finished reprinting them in full color...get those, it adds a lot in this case.
Interesting. I'll be sure to snag them. I did really enjoy the movie.

But seriously, no one has any idea why Dark Souls 3 showed up on my Xbox with no record of me paying for it?

The videogame fairy has visited you. Run outside, turn around 6 times and spit or else your gaming platform of choice will be destroyed in a terrible fire, along with all your other earthly possessions.

Ugh, I cannot bring myself to read Shade in single issues. Remove a comic from a bag, read 20 pages, stuff it back in a bag. And do that 70 times for one series. I am sending it off to be bound on Monday.

But seriously, no one has any idea why Dark Souls 3 showed up on my Xbox with no record of me paying for it?

Maybe alcohol or some other controlled substance was involved?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't sound good. Check your bank account

Bank accounts are clear. No charge from yesterday or any pre-orders that is forgotten about. It also doesn't show up in purchase history on my Xbox account.

Maybe alcohol or some other controlled substance was involved?

Nah, the only thing I was on yesterday was Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

The videogame fairy has visited you. Run outside, turn around 6 times and spit or else your gaming platform of choice will be destroyed in a terrible fire, along with all your other earthly possessions.

I'm about to go into the Jungle Book, I'll be sure to do this right outside the theater so that people know that I'm on the up and up.

In the land of Daredevil...

Daredevil # 45

In which our hero escapes from the clutches of The Jester by turning the tables and using his enemy's own explosive gas popcorn against him! SPKAK!

MohMyWD.png

Daredevil still has to deal with that whole "framed for murder" thing from the previous issue, so he spends most of this comic on the lam. He gets cornered in a dark alley, and has no moral quandary beating the shit out of the cops. The hero comics GAF deserves!

L9M20kb.png

I mean, he legit beats down the cops. I believe this issue may have been the spiritual inspiration for Ice-T's 1992 smash hit, "Cop Killer." Daredevil has no shame.

DzULisy.png

Things turn pure WTF now. Daredevil heads down to a subway station, and ASSAULTS AN INNOCENT MAN READING THE NEWSPAPER to steal his raincoat. I'm talking straight up rear naked chokehold. There's some handwaving about how he's just immobilizing the dude without hurting him, and he even leaves some money behind to pay for the coat, but come on! This is 100% bullshit. The protector of the innocent, the Devil of Hell's Kitchen, straight up assaults this dude. Damn it, Stan Lee, now you've gone too far!

2YTuvKe.png

In what I would describe as a pretty fucking big coincidence, raincoat-wearing Matt Murdock just happens to board the exact same subway train that The Jester is on! Naturally, The Jester recognizes Daredevil by his boots, because nobody in NYC would wear that raincoat-boot combo.

vK3RhRL.png

Daredevil and The Jester end up fighting atop the Statue of Liberty. There's no explanation for why they both went there, but there you have it. In the ruckus, DD takes down his clown foe, but ends up being knocked unconscious. The issue ends with Murdock in custody, and the authorities are about to peek under his mask to confirm his identity! To be continued...

6dY92mU.png

=====

Daredevil #46

Daredevil is having no part of the unmasking ceremony, and wakes up in time to give ole Charlie the business. THE FINAL JEST, ladies and gentlemen!

M3CoXxs.png

This issue becomes a bit of a master of disguises mess, with DD first impersonating a hospital doctor and later a bum in order to escape. It's flufftastic.

siqNK21.png

Now that he's back safely in his home, Matt Murdock has time to reflect on the events of his framing, AND HE REALIZES THE SCENT OF COLOGNE FROM THE SUBWAY WAS THE SAME HE SMELLED ON THE BRIDGE TWO ISSUES AGO. Very keen sense of smell, that Daredevil. And memory. Memory like a fucking elephant. I'm guessing most readers have long forgotten that whole cologne thing, since it was never brought up once during the bridge fight. But it happened, baby. Stan sez so.

Naturally, Matt's plan to take down The Jester involves going to the nearest costume shop and buying a perfect replica of his enemy's costume. Wait, WHAT?!? I'll give this for 1960s NYC, every costume shop in town has a steady supply of perfect replica hero and villain outfits. Cosplay was hardcore back then.

uN7Qk9Y.png

Daredevil impersonates The Jester on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and takes credit for taking down...Daredevil. This pisses off the real Jester, who won't tolerate fools stealing his limelight. This Daredevil run frequently tackles the topic of someone stealing credit for another person's work, which is particularly interesting given Stan Lee's own reputation for doing exactly that with both Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. As we all know, Stan Lee created every good comic character and story ever, even when he didn't!

qr8PCW6.png

So now the big showdown we've all been anticipating! The Real Jester, serving as an amalgam stand-in for Kirby/Ditko, heads to the studio for a showdown with credit stealing Daredevil, serving an a stand-in for Stan Lee.

83UnIIy.png

Our undercredited writers toss a ping pong ball at Hornhead Lee, but it's no ordinary ping pong ball. This one grows exponentially with each bounce and has a built in homing device that makes it chase Daredevil! Very impressive, this ping pong ball.

olkvlar.png

Daredevil is able to overcome the incredible Ping Pong Ball of Death by...merely hitting it with his baton and popping it. Lame. But he forgets The Jester is a man of many deadly tools, none more so than his Yo-Yo of Doom.

62cy3Ek.png

But Kirby serves as no match for a pissed off Stan Lee! (Okay, I've taken this analogy too far). Daredevil wins! He unmasks The Jester. People realize it's the same dude who supposedly died on the bridge after being pushed by Daredevil! Daredevil is innocent! The Jester is imprisoned! Let's never speak of this again.

Owzers

I started Vader on MU, i don't think it was that good because whenever i read Vader dialog I picture Hayden Christensen saying it.

Also, Rockets/Warriors!

Pollux

Ok I got Secret Wars 1-9, Thor 1 (2015), invincible Iron Man 1-6 (2015), Dr. Strange 1-3 (2015), All new X-Men 1-7 (2015).

Seems like a good start and a good weekend

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Catching up on Snyder's Batman. Death of the Family was pretty good, but I thought the early issues were actually creepier and more impactful than the finale.

Read the first volume of Zero Year after that and the tonal shift is a nice change of pace (more light-hearted, vibrant colors). I loved that early 'Welcome to Bat Country' spread. Now on the second volume, which is all Riddler it seems.

I wanna collect Ultimate Spiderman and I like their 12 issue Ultimate collections...but they had an almost 2 year gap between Vol 4 and 5, and then Vol 6 is due out in June...does anyone know if Marvel actually plan on doing it with any sort of regularity and finishing it or should I pester Bendis on twitter?

Let's read some more Daredevil!

Daredevil #47

We're in Vietnam! Daredevil is on a USO stint to go inspire the Joes. Even the nearly blind ones, like our good buddy Willie. Poor Willie suffered an injury to his eyes during combat, and is nearly blind. That doesn't stop his tactless battle buddy from offering to get him close to the stage so they can SEE all the action!

5zcLeXM.png

Unfortunately, not even Murdock's inspiring circus performance of swinging around the stage is enough to inspire Willie's non-functioning eyes to start functioning again! He's blind!

e4gSORg.png

Daredevil visits Willie to yak it up some, and help restore his spirits. Because he couldn't restore his vision. This whole issue feels tacky, like Stan Lee wanted to write a deep commentary on the senselessness of war. Instead, we have this. Stan Lee speaks for all of us. From one military member to another, you have my eternal gratitude, Mr. Willie Lincoln!

AvrnO0v.png

VNTUk1j.png

Mr. Lincoln heads back to the US, and goes straight to the welfare office. Something something subtle Stan Lee racism. And wouldn't you know it, Karen Paige now works there! As a secretary, of course, not someone of any importance (subtle sexism!). Lincoln tells her he was framed from his previous police job for accepting a bribe, and Karen tells him to go look up hotshot lawyer Matthew Murdock. Just don't tell him who sent ya, since I'm hiding out!

Turns out Willie was framed by the mob. Now that they know he's in town, they decide to go pay him a visit at Murdock's law office to make sure none of this framing business comes to light. Only they are met by Daredevil IN A STUNNING STAIRWAY FIGHT SCENE! Daredevil season 2 has nothing on this, I tell ya!

McFigkv.png

The case goes to trial. Matthew Mattlock Murdock calls the key eyewitness against Willie to the stand. This dude claims he saw Willie accept money. While interrogating him, Murdock presents false information to the court, arguing that it was foggy that night and impossible to see anything, breaking a good number of legal and ethical regulations for attorneys. BUT IT'S OKAY, FOLKS, because the witness panicks and admits he was paid off by the mob to lie. Murdock uses lies to combat lies, and his lie proves to be the strongest. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE (LIE)! Willie Lincoln is exonerated, folks! Something tells me Stan Lee would not pass a bar exam.

AWg4fP3.png

======

Daredevil #48

OMG STILT-MAN IS BACK! STILT-MAN HYPE! Marvel needs to bring him into the MCU. He's the best. Anyway, Foggy Nelson is leading the polls and on his way to become the new district attorney. But the baddies aren't having it, so some organized mob types hire Stilt-Man to take him out. Daredevil is having none of it.

m0TNIiS.png

Daredevil dives under a car.

DlmHDJt.png

Karen's back! Matt Murdock takes no time getting down to business. When you've got a hottie like Karen wrapped around your fingers, you have to take the initiative and show her how you really feel! Hubba hubba. Even though Matt has mistreated her for the better part of the previous 47 issues, Karen is swooning...

FDWHCYd.png

...only to immediately hate Matt again! You see, Murdock knows that Stilt-Man is headed to their office to end Foggy's life, so he needs to offend everyone and get them to leave. He makes some nice insinuation that he wants Foggy to leave so Karen can take a ride on his ole Baloney Pony. Karen doesn't take too kindly to that, so just like that we see true love fade.

4LrdcQF.png

Stilt-Man shows up and Daredevil is waiting for him! They fight!

8hYk1rH.png

Is that a penis? I believe that's a penis!

MlHm0Zg.gif

QjJ2kzk.png

Daredevil ends up beating Stilt-Man. Again. Ho hum. Oh, and Foggy is your new district attorney! Which means that Nelson and Murdock, Avocados at Law are no more.

W6vharO.png

Black Canary #10
While I enjoy the switch from sci-fi to kung-fu, I just want to be clear on something: Batgirl now has a tech-support female friend who is also physically handicapped? I just want to be clear on that. Good book/10.

Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #5
So, in order for them tot ake down all the villains, Dick, Jason, and Tim are all gonna show up. Right? Please? Also found the
animal forms for the villains
to be hilarious, especially
Ventriloquist being a parrot

The Vision #6
This is only halfway though. This plot though. These stakes though. THIS IS SUPER FUCKED UP THOUGH.

Invincible Iron Man #8
Goddamnit Deodato, your art and action sequences are amazing, right? But I miss Marquez. Also, shouldn't Tony know who Peter is? I know One More Day happened, but I would have thought at least a couple heroes would have still figured it out since then. Still delivering on all levels, though.

The New Avengers #9
canceling_the_apocalypse.gif

Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha #1
So I finally got around to reading this since the tie-ins I've read have been really good. This really is a Captain America book more than anything. Had Bucky been a member of an Avengers team, then it being an Avengers book would make a lot more sense. Still, it's a damn good first issue. I'm looking forward to the rest of this crossover.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Almost finished reading Nextwave!
I'm actually not really enjoying it as much as everyone else seems to...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Interesting. I'll be sure to snag them. I did really enjoy the movie.
The books have a much longer time frame for the events of the story than the film and with that comes a lot more depth and development, it doesn't hurt that the art is great too. I enjoyed the film although I do think the books are a better story overall. I will say if you loved the film at the very least reading the books will help you appreciate it more as you'll be able to see panels and scenes which were perfectly translated to film. Edgar did a fantastic job with the casting and visuals of the film.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What.

What.

What.

....what.
There were two girls Ive meet on a Family celebration with an branch of the family that comes rarely together(and is far enough away to not make this creep. We are actually not really related).
They are booth very cool and nice and I really looked forward to see them again tonight. But they sat all the time at the table lf the couple so I hadnt had a possibility to make contact and I need a little time to warm up because I always think everyone is laughing at me when I dance. Sooo, we only had a couple of minutes smalltalk all over the evening :(

I hope there will be another possibity soon. They are nice persons.

Did Marvel really remove the search bar off their website? Ummmm, why? That's the fastest way to pull up a specific issue of a comic on MU.

Comics were a mistake.

Top Bottom