• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
MU ANAD alert!

New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Spider Gwen and Spidey 2099 #1s added. Very slow week with only 11 new titles added, the rest is all old random stuff (and not even good stuff)

Just a heads up, Greg Capullos original art store launches tonight sometime. Follow his Twitter for updates. He says he will have stuff available at all price ranges and all his art will not be uploaded at one time.

Messi

Just a heads up, Greg Capullos original art store launches tonight sometime. Follow his Twitter for updates. He says he will have stuff available at all price ranges and all his art will not be uploaded at one time.

Good luck but I am not going to try. That site is gonna crumble.

I'd love to start buying art pages, little out of my budget at the moment though.

Just finished Endgame. That was weird. Good, but weird. Snyder's Batman is probably my favourite Batman run ever. Does a great job conveying the little bit of doubt thats always there.

Messi

https://twitter.com/GregCapullo/status/722123452308668418

"PS: there will be art under $1000. Just not Batman."

Eesh. No surprising, but still. Eesh.

200w.gif

But will any Capullo page hit Jim Lee level. Does Capullo have those balls.

http://albertmoy.com/gallerypiece.asp?Piece=13683

$18,000

Beautiful piece. Maybe the first appearance of skin Joker will get that price

Jesus fucking tits. That's quite a lot of money. Awesome cover, but not that awesome.

also, if my shop gets it, Sun Bakery #1

Interesting looking book. I'll buy it if my shop gets it. Oh wait, my shop is comixology.

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 5: Exogenetic

On my continuation through the entirety of Astonishing X-Men, this is the second volume in Warren Ellis' run on Astonishing. It's definitely one of the shorter volumes, but it brings some really interesting things to light.

I don't really have too much to talk about here. Essentially, Abigail Brand has been tracking this guy named Kaga, who has been genetically engineering mutant/Brood hybrids, with the mutant half coming from dead mutants closely tied with the history of the X-Men. It's a very basic story, but the slow reveals make it interesting. Kaga states the reason he hates the X-Men so much is because, while they fight for mutantkind, they are beautiful people. Whereas he is -- while the textbook definition of a mutant, not a possessor of the X-gene, and therefore not an X-Man -- incredibly deformed and ugly. Apparently he's hated the X-Men ever since the Claremont days, possibly even the Silver-Age.

We also learn the lengths that Beast has been willing to go to in order to revive the mutant race since M-Day. Particularly, harvesting DNA from dead mutants in the idea that they might still have an "active" X-gene. This could be used to revive, in a matter of speaking, mutants who are alive, but without powers. Kaga hacks Beast's systems and uses his research to develop weapons against the X-Men developed from their own history. All fused with Brood. This includes an organic Sentinel, Krakoa, and Sauron.

The most interesting part of this story is that it builds upon something Morrison was pushing in his New X-Men run, which was that not all mutations are going to be useful superpowers. Beak, Basilisk, that one gas motherfucker, all had mutations that weren't useful at all. They were just fucking gross and useless. This book elaborates on that, minus the X-gene. It's an interesting topic to go into, that actually gets explored more in Worst X-Man Ever, with the main character having the ability to explode and that's it. Just a one off.

The book is good. The plot moves at a good pace, the banter and characterization was great. True to Ellis form, the action sequences are well-plotted. Jimenez's art, while I'm not a fan (it's the faces) is a great vessel for them. The art is bright and colorful, and it's a solid trip down memory lane. Honestly, I'm not sure what people dislike so much about Ellis' run. While it feels like this story wasn't handled with as much weight as I feel it should have, it was still pretty good. The chemistry between the X-Men, as well as the action scenes are all done very well. Ellis knows these characters well, something shared with Whedon and Morrison. I believe there's one more volume with Ellis' name on it and I can't wait to read it.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
ACTION COMICS #51 (SUPER LEAGUE) $3.99
HARLEYS LITTLE BLACK BOOK #3 $4.99
SUPERMAN AMERICAN ALIEN #6 $3.99
SUPERMAN LOIS AND CLARK #7 $3.99
TOKYO GHOST #6 CVR A MURPHY & HOLLINGSWORTH (MR) $3.99
OBI-WAN AND ANAKIN #4 $3.99

Small but sweet.

Leest time!

Dept H 1

Martian Manhunter 11

East of West 25
Lazarus Sourcebook 1
Tokyo Ghost 6

Astonishing Ant-Man 7
Captain America Sam Wilson 8
Captain Marvel 4
Extraordinary X-Men 9
Guardians of Infinity 5
Howard the Duck 6 (Crossover Issue)
Hyperion 2
Mighty Thor 6
New Avengers 10
Nova 6
Power Man and Iron Fist 3
Silk 7
Spider-Man & Deadpool 4
Starbrand and Nightmask 5
Uncanny Inhumans 7

Dark So-ha ha ha ha ha just kidding

DC Solicits out, a few interesting collected editions.

http://www.newsarama.com/28896-dc-comics-full-july-2016-solicitations-rebirth.html

THE OMEGA MEN: THE END IS HERE TP

Written by TOM KING

Art by BARNABY BAGENDA, TOBY CYPRESS and IG GUARA

Cover by TREVOR HUTCHISON

The Omega Men are back in an all-new series! They’ve murdered White Lantern Kyle Rayner, and now the universe wants them to pay! Who are these intergalactic criminals—and is there more to their actions than meets the eye?

The entire, acclaimed 12-issue series is collected here!

On sale AUGUST 24 • 288 pg, FC, $24.99 US

No idea how the volumes here will be mapped out.

WONDER WOMAN 75 BOX SET

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO, GEORGE PEREZ, GREG POTTER, LEN WEIN, GREG RUCKA and GAIL SIMONE

Art by CLIFF CHIANG, GEORGE PEREZ, TERRY DODSON, BERNARD CHANG, DREW JOHNSON and others

In the WONDER WOMAN 75TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET, DC Comics packages graphic novels from four monumental creators—Gail Simone, Brian Azzarello, George Pérez and Greg Rucka—in a beautiful new slipcase set perfect for collectors.

Includes the WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1: GODS AND MORTALS TP, the WONDER WOMAN: DOWN TO EARTH TP, the WONDER WOMAN: THE CIRCLE TP and the WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1: BLOOD TP

On sale NOVEMBER 2 • FC, $49.99 US

And Golden Age Wonder Woman. Good option for those who were looking to buy the DC archives (of which a couple are OOP).

WONDER WOMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC

Written by WILLIAM MOULTON MARSTON

Art by H.G. PETER • Cover by DARWYN COOKE

Wonder Woman, arguably the best-known female superhero in the world, and star of her own monthly comics, was introduced in the early 1940s in these quirky tales written by the inventor of the lie detector, psychologist William Moulton Marston. In these stories, Wonder Woman travels from Paradise Island to Man’s World, where she serves as an emissary of peace, using her bracelets and lasso of truth to stop injustice. These stories introduce the mythology of Wonder Woman as she battles the powers of evil—from crooked business owners to Nazi spies.

Collects ALL STAR COMICS #8, SENSATION COMICS #1-24, WONDER WOMAN #1-7, and stories from COMIC CAVALCADE #1-4

On sale OCTOBER 12 • 768 pg, FC, $75.00 US

DC Solicits out, a few interesting collected editions.

No idea how the volumes here will be mapped out.

And Golden Age Wonder Woman. Good option for those who were looking to buy the DC archives (of which a couple are OOP).

Interesting that Telos is getting a trade. I thought he already had one? Also, still no fourth Simone Secret Six (pre-Flashpoint) collection. I am extraordinarily disappointed.

Top Bottom