• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Boogiepop

Okay guys, I need to prove something to myself in dialing things back a little, so I want to preferably avoid ordering any comics after I place my early May IST order (which should be timed on when both the next Usagi Yojimbo Saga and the next Carl Barks Library entry should come out on the same day, if Amazon is to be trusted, which it better be), and then I figure when the third Kabuki Library Edition comes out in July.

My big question is: what comes out in that time frame that may tempt me from my goal? Big worry is anything that a sizeable collection (omnibi, hardcovers, etc) that may come out in that time and people will be all "OMG must buy" and it'll have the IST 50% off for one week going on...

My big question is: what comes out in that time frame that may tempt me from my goal? Big worry is anything that a sizeable collection (omnibi, hardcovers, etc) that may come out in that time and people will be all "OMG must buy" and it'll have the IST 50% off for one week going on...

If I want to look ahead, I'll go to tfaw.com, and look at their graphic novel pre-orders organized old-new. That will give you a good idea.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ran through the next 4 issue of Birthright rather quickly. It's a very interesting book. At this point I have no idea who I am supposed to be rooting thanks to the twist at the end of the first issue.

I'm also 2 and half issues into No Mercy but I don't know if I am going to be able to tolerate these characters long enough to see the horrible things I want to happen to most of them. The twins are particularly over the top and silly.

VanWinkle

Okay guys, I need to prove something to myself in dialing things back a little, so I want to preferably avoid ordering any comics after I place my early May IST order (which should be timed on when both the next Usagi Yojimbo Saga and the next Carl Barks Library entry should come out on the same day, if Amazon is to be trusted, which it better be), and then I figure when the third Kabuki Library Edition comes out in July.

Gotham Central Omnibus, Guardians of the Galaxy Omnibus (Abnett and Lanning) and Kingdom Come Deluxe Edition (the best way to read unless you have the now out-of-print Absolute edition) are the ones I'm looking forward to.

mjc

Random question: I haven't read Batman in years, would it be alright if I jumped back in with the Court of Owls story? (I at least wanna read through that and Death of the Family)

Messi

Random question: I haven't read Batman in years, would it be alright if I jumped back in with the Court of Owls story? (I at least wanna read through that and Death of the Family)

Yes, start at Court of Owls and read all of Scott Snyders stuff. Its all in a row. Great stuff.

So i rewatched First Class and DOFP, and am keen to get some X-men comics. I have ordered Joss Whedons run, but am looking at one of the ongoings out currently. Which is the best one to get? Im looking at one of the team based books preferrably.

Messi

So i rewatched First Class and DOFP, and am keen to get some X-men comics. I have ordered Joss Whedons run, but am looking at one of the ongoings out currently. Which is the best one to get? Im looking at one of the team based books preferrably.

They are not great right now. But if I had to pick one I would pick Extraordinary X-Men

Currently? Extraordinary is probably the best, but none of them are great.

Sandfox

I'm enjoying All-New X-Men.

Just finished The Infinity Finale. Hooooooooooly shiiiiiit!
That's out already!? Fuck man! I gotta get in that!
Can Uncanny Xmen (the recent Bendis series) be read coherently if I've never read an Xmen comic in my life?
You can, but I would recommend reading the first two trades of All-New X-Men first, since a lot of Uncanny starts there. Then read Uncanny. It's not necessary, but it is recommended.

Personally, if you are going to start with the X-Men fresh, I would recommend Claremont or Morrison to start. Claremont might be rough considering it has that late 70's/early 80's style dialogue. Plus, Claremont has a very Silver-Age feel to his dialogue. Otherwise it's a great beginner series, since he pretty much made the X-Men. Morrison reinvented them again.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Some nice alternatives to reading Claremont are watching paint dry or watching grass grow.

Edit: And I just bought my 1000th issue from Comixology!!!!!!!!!

Foofaraw

Some nice alternatives to reading Claremont are watching paint dry or watching grass grow.

Edit: And I just bought my 1000th issue from Comixology!!!!!!!!!
After making it through pre-Claremont X-Men, his stuff is fantastic. Between Uncanny and New Mutants, it has been some of my favorite comic reads.

If you are going to read Bendis, just read both All New and Uncanny lines that he was on. Find a read order and jump in. Use a month of Marvel Unlimited to test the water. I personally dislike Bendis as a writer, but there is some ok stuff there.

Morrison is great, and made even better by having a history with the characters. The pre knowledge is unnecessary, though.

The stuff coming out now is not great. Unless you hate Scott Summers for no reason. Everyone writing the book right now explicitly hates Scott for some bad thing he did that we don't know about. Or maybe we do. I've given up on it and started watching Hunter X Hunter in its place.

I started with Schism, then went to Wolverine and the X-men and Uncanny X-men (loved the former, liked the latter), then read Avengers vs X-men which was somewhat enjoyable, then continued with WATXM and UXM while also adding All-New X-men and the all female X-men book to my reading list, read Battle of the Atom which was somewhat enjoyable and sorta ended up dropping everything because I was caught up on real life stuff.

All-New X-men was getting boring for me so I would have dropped it anyway, and have no desire to read its ending.

Uncanny X-men and the female X-men were my favourite books and I do need to see how they finished before Secret Wars happened.

Edit: sladkncdscndsk I posted in the wrong thread lmfao.

Seeing Big Barda appearing in Darkseid War made me leap with joy.

I need her, Vixen, Zatanna and Hawkgirl to get some more spotlight (or even appear on the main earth in Hawkgirl's case) following Rebirth.

Foofaraw

Claremont = Fantastic?
Did you read the first 64 issues of X-men? Opening up Giant sized immediately after that, yes, Claremont was fantastic. You folks don't like Claremont? His prose is so damn purple, I don't know how the letterers got away with using black.

Holy shit guys, The Vision is pretty damn amazing. Feels kind of refreshing to see a closed small story from Marvel. I was already excited for King's Batman, but that may have gone up even more.

Is there a consensus on titles worth catching up on in ANAD? I asked this before and got a couple lists but looking through the thread I couldn't find them.

Zombine

Banned
Trying to rewrite history and turn Claremont into bad comics because of that one panel you saw once.

Claremont X-Men is god tier reading.

Does anyone here read Valiant Comics? I need some recommendations. Looking for some dark, action-packed stuff.

Harbinger (and pseudo-sequel Imperium)
Ninjak
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
The Valiant
Rai
Bloodshot Reborn

Even though it's lighter stuff, I recommend Ivar Timewalker and Archer & Armstrong

Is there a consensus on titles worth catching up on in ANAD? I asked this before and got a couple lists but looking through the thread I couldn't find them.

Mighty Thor
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Woman
Spider-Man (Miles)
Captain America Sam Wilson
Doctor Strange
Ms Marvel

Harbinger (and pseudo-sequel Imperium)
Ninjak
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
The Valiant
Rai
Bloodshot Reborn

Even though it's lighter stuff, I recommend Ivar Timewalker and Archer & Armstrong

Mighty Thor
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Woman
Spider-Man (Miles)
Captain America Sam Wilson
Doctor Strange
Ms Marvel

Cool, thanks. Think the only one I'm iffy on is Spider-Gwen, kind of got tired of her run before ANAD. Much different?

Exactly the same.

Squirrel Girl is worth catching up on and I have no idea how he forgot ANADs best book Vision. That book is a classic.

Just got up to date on it and I just posted about it so that is probably why.

Vision is just something I did not expect to see from Marvel, it just seems so different than the current state of most of their books.

tim1138

Do you have the Excalibur issues of that run?

Do you mean the numbering or do I own them?

Davis/Claremont did the first 24 issues, than Davis left. Claremont left in the mid 30s, and then Davis came back as writer/artist from like 40 until Lobdell (ugh) took over at issue 67 or 68.

In print I have the Sword is Drawn mini and then issues 1-75, Excalibur was my favorite X-book as a kid (followed by X-Factor).

-edit-

CMX has the first 16 issues plus the Sword is Drawn one shot, which you should read before the first issue.

duckroll

Been meaning to support Ed Brubaker's indie efforts at Image for a longass time now. Today I bought all the digital singles for The Fade Out at the Image site, and I ordered both Fatale deluxe hardcover collections from Book Depository (free shipping!). Anyone know how long Velvet is planned for?

Zombine

Banned
Been meaning to support Ed Brubaker's indie efforts at Image for a longass time now. Today I bought all the digital singles for The Fade Out at the Image site, and I ordered both Fatale deluxe hardcover collections from Book Depository (free shipping!). Anyone know how long Velvet is planned for?

I assume there is no set # for the story. It's not a limited series like The Fade Out was that's for sure. It's an "Image Regular Series" so the end could be in 2 issue of 200. Knowing Brubaker it won't last past 30 issues.

Top Bottom