• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

duckroll

I assume there is no set # for the story. It's not a limited series like The Fade Out was that's for sure.

The Fade Out wasn't a limited series until it got to the end. Brubaker has said that all his stories have endings, but he won't commit to a length because he wants to tell it naturally until it concludes. Was wondering if people following Velvet have an idea if it's getting there yet! Sean Philips is a good artist, but I -love- Steve Epting.

Hey GAF, I'm new to comics and I've been needing to find a new hobby to spend time relaxing on. I've read a couple of comics here and there but I feel like getting deeper into the game. My pops has a huge pull list and he's collected the entire new Secret Wars run, but I don't know which ones are quality worth reading. Any tips or pointers?

Hey GAF, I'm new to comics and I've been needing to find a new hobby to spend time relaxing on. I've read a couple of comics here and there but I feel like getting deeper into the game. My pops has a huge pull list and he's collected the entire new Secret Wars run, but I don't know which ones are quality worth reading. Any tips or pointers?
It depends on what you're into or interested in. Specifically regarding Secret Wars, I'll just throw out the ones I really liked:

A-Force
Attilan Rising
X-Men '92
M.O.D.O.K. Assassin
Thors
Siege
The Infinity Gauntlet (I think is what it's called. I don't remember).

And that's all I remember because it's been so long since I've read any of it. If you want some pointers: find something that you think looks dope and read it. If you like it, find more things similar to it. If you don't, then do the opposite. If you have more specific questions, It'd be easier for me to answer you. I'm bad with general questions SOMEONE HELP ME

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

A-Force
Inhumans Attilan Rising
The Infinity Gauntlet
Korvac Saga
Marvel Zombies
Runaways
Siege
Squadron Sinister
Thors

duckroll

If you're looking for good Marvel runs to read, I'll certainly recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four run before he got into planning Secret Wars. It starts at around issue 570, and runs through to 600+ and 20+ issues of Future Foundation. Fantastic stuff.

If you're just looking for Secret Wars books though, Infinity Gauntlet is the best one.

Was wondering if people following Velvet have an idea if it's getting there yet! Sean Philips is a good artist, but I -love- Steve Epting.

I feel like Velvet still has a ways to go before they get to an ending point. I'd expect a lot more twists to come out of a spy story. Though they would probably get there quicker if they would release an issue once in a while. It feels like it's been releasing every other month at best

Zombine

Banned
The Fade Out wasn't a limited series until it got to the end. Brubaker has said that all his stories have endings, but he won't commit to a length because he wants to tell it naturally until it concludes. Was wondering if people following Velvet have an idea if it's getting there yet! Sean Philips is a good artist, but I -love- Steve Epting.

Loveeeeeeee Epting. I have an Epting page and his original art is even more impressive in person. Velvet doesn't seem like it's there yet though, so I feel like we should get another 10 issues or so.

Owzers

I have very little enthusiasm to read either New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers on MU, but i would be interested in reading the regular Avengers when it gets up on there.

So, my thought on reading the new Deadpool book was that I'm not really interested in reading a Deadpool book where he doesn't murder people and break the fourth wall all the time.

Seems Gwenpool has me covered.

So, my thought on reading the new Deadpool book was that I'm not really interested in reading a Deadpool book where he doesn't murder people and break the fourth wall all the time.

Seems Gwenpool has me covered.

The one dude changing his hat constantly was making me laugh but other than that it was pretty lame.

New SG solicit. They should have all the solicits in the OHC as extras at the end.

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #10

RYAN NORTH (W) • ERICA HENDERSON (A/C)

• Mole Man has fallen in love with Squirrel Girl, and he’s holding the world hostage until she goes on a date with him!
• MOLE MEN, am I right??
• Watch as Squirrel Girl gains the help of an unlikely ally! Thrill as two people kiss! BUT WHICH TWO??
• You’ll have to buy the issue to find out, so all I’ll say right now is this:
• IN THIS ISSUE THERE IS A NON-ZERO CHANCE FOR EVERY MARVEL SHIP TO BECOME CANON!!
• “Ship” is short for “relationship,” in case you thought I was talking about, like, Galactus’ “Star Sphere” or Mr. Fantastic’s “Fantasticship” or whatever.
• Anyway, enjoy!!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

mreddie

Hellcat and Power Man/Iron Fist getting CW2 tie ins. Oof, that Hellcat one maybe a stinger.

Also, every issue of CW2 is five bucks? Geez guys, you want this to bomb.

Owzers

Hellcat and Power Man/Iron Fist getting CW2 tie ins. Oof, that Hellcat one maybe a stinger.

Also, every issue of CW2 is five bucks? Geez guys, you want this to bomb.

Can we be a civil war 2 tie-in too? $5 isn't that much when you think about what you're getting.

I get comics-cringey when i see solicits full of tie-ins to something i don't want to buy.

I have very little enthusiasm to read either New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers on MU, but i would be interested in reading the regular Avengers when it gets up on there.

I read the first two or three issues of each and they are trash. Uncanny Avengers has a paper thin plot and trashy art. The New Avengers are comprised of everyone's favorite B or C-listers and Mindy Cohn impersonating Squirrel Girl.

You've made a wise decision.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just read the first trade of Paper Girls. That series was like the best ice cream milkshake. I wanted to pace myself but couldn't stop. BKV is a goddamned treasure.

Messi

<3 Patsy

PATSY2015008-cov-398f4.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
Did you read the first 64 issues of X-men? Opening up Giant sized immediately after that, yes, Claremont was fantastic. You folks don't like Claremont? His prose is so damn purple, I don't know how the letterers got away with using black.

This is controversial?

Once Byrne starts drawing and Orzechowski starts lettering, it's one of the best prolonged runs in comics, especially if you link in his Excalibur and New Mutants.

This is like the one singular immutable fact of comics, Claremont's X-Men run is amazing. And now that it's going up on CMX, y'all need to check out Claremont/Davis Excalibur, it's so freaking good.
enhanced-buzz-530-1383931976-8.jpg

olympia

What's the opinion on Johnathan Hickman's avengers? I tried reading it but got lost pretty quickly halfway through New Avengers. Is there a reading order?

Messi

BENDIS!

Also Del Mundo on Hulk, meaning Weirdworld is done

But they didn't do the telling thing of marking Wierdworld as Wierdworld TP. Its listed as Wierdworld vol 1.

Small glimmer of hope. Can't wait for Del Mundo on hulk though. That will be pretty if his Planet Hulk covers are anything to go by.

duckroll

What's the opinion on Johnathan Hickman's avengers? I tried reading it but got lost pretty quickly halfway through New Avengers. Is there a reading order?

The reading order is basically to just alternate between TPBs for both books, so every 4-5 issues on each side forms a semi-self contained arc, and the timeline moves forward that way. Wasn't a huge fan of Avengers by the end of it. The themes just fizzled. New Avengers was baller as fuck though, and actually matters more going into Secret Wars.

Civil War II spoilers:

It's funny... when the first Civil War happened,
Shulkie's solo series was basically the only Marvel book I was still reading back then. Ten years later they're doing a sequel, and how do they start things off? By killing Shulkie.
Okay, it's not that funny.

duckroll

Honestly though, I think you could just read New Avengers and ignore Avengers completely and get a pretty complete story. A better one too. :p

P.S. Infinity SUCKED.

Top Bottom