• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Read through the front half (the one with the pictures) of Fire!!: The Zora Neale Hurston Story. Very interesting read about someone I did not have much previous knowledge about. It wasn't a straight biography of sorts but I liked Bagge's storytelling method of abruptly cutting between various points/phases of her life. The second half of the book is prose with a lot of background/footnotes on the comic, will dig into that tonight.

AS4GhBk.jpg

I don't know why D&Q can't host proper excerpts on their website...

I'm currently in the middle of Sean Howe's "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story" and it's fascinating to see how much history repeats itself. So much of what's going on at Marvel now has happened before, like:

• Marvel flooding the market with too many titles as a strategy to swamp DC.
  • Rushing out spin-off titles for obscure/C-list characters that get quickly cancelled.
  • Marvel's obsession of bringing in outside talent from the literary and Holllywood world who never stick around.
  • Editorial downplaying the importance of artist.
  • Men in their 40s and 50s trying to seem hip to the kids by exploiting progressive politics, but never actually picking a position (Marvel capitalized on second-wave feminism by creating female-fronted books with female writers but the comics were all based on patronizing concepts from Stan Lee like Night Nurse and Shanna the She Devil).

Highly recommend the book.

Marvel's probably gonna throw Nick Spencer under the buss after Secret Empire.

Nah. It's far more likely that Spencer will either pick a smaller, less visible project at Marvel, or just stay on indie stuff.

No, it's part of a really old quote about how Marvel's heroes are easier to like because they're more human and easy to relate to. "The world outside your window!" and all that.

The legacy part I can't believe because they couldn't even get a teen team to work.

I'll focus on one of the two that have worked: Young Avengers. Only reason we didn't get more of that team is because A) Marvel stupidly held the book back to wait for Heinberg to do anything with it B) when they finally picked it up again, the team only had a finite run planned.

Legacies work fine with Marvel. Real people have legacies at all the time.

I'm currently in the middle of Sean Howe's "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story" and it's fascinating to see how much history repeats itself. So much of what's going on at Marvel now has happened before, like:

• Rushing out spin-off titles for obscure/C-list characters that get quickly cancelled.
  • Marvel's obsession of bringing in outside talent from the literary and Holllywood world who never stick around.
  • Men in their 40s and 50s trying to seem hip to the kids by exploiting progressive politics, but never actually picking a position (Marvel capitalized on second-wave feminism by creating female-fronted books with female writers but the comics were all based on patronizing concepts from Stan Lee like Night Nurse and Shanna the She Devil).

Ah, I read that for the first time last summer. I second this recommendation.

TheFlow

Banned
it sucks they are making the shows exclusive but if this gives us access to older dc comics then I am game.

I am not paying anything more than 15 dollars a month though.

It's a fantastic read. Up there with The Comic Book History of Comics and Understanding Comics, IMO.

Now that I can actually read what they're fully saying about it. It seems more like a show announcement than anything really about a service. Makes me think Comics are going to be some animation type thing or very minimal.

The deadline article is a bit more firm about comics inclusion but I suppose that could be original stuff

Vic_Viper

They are doing a live action Titans tv show and Young Justice season 3 but they will only be exclusive to the Digital service!? So im guess Titans is going to be on par with a web series like Mortal Kombat lol. Hope its good, but guessing its going to have a pretty low budget.

Just please allow me to have more than 12 books downloaded at a time!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I can actually read what they're fully saying about it. It seems more like a show announcement than anything really about a service. Makes me think Comics are going to be some animation type thing or very minimal.

Yeah, they don't really make it sound like the Marvel Unlimited model. So I'll wait for more information before having an opinion.

Could be irrelevant but at the beginning of March, bleeding cool wrote an article about DC sending out questionnaires about this sort of this. Content being suggested was

existing DC-based TV shows and movies, original short-form and long-form content and digital comic access, discounts on merchandise, subscription-box service discounts, and behind-the-scenes content

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I really want to read this at some point, but I guess accompanied by all the negativity for the last year revolving Marvel and now Secret Empire, its going to suck out the last bit of joy for comics for me :/

Sandfox

Well it's mostly the flip flopping between good, bad, and anti-hero for a few wrestlers. Also power level wise, during that Dumpster Match I was wondering why Braun just didn't end it quickly like all his prior matches.

Does anyone have any faith of Marvel keeping the legacy aspect of Marvel Legacy. I feel that's always been the biggest thing that seperated the DCU from the MU. Marvel has talked about this generation building a legacy, but I feel since New Mutants started marvel has included legacy characters only for a large swath of them to be completely ignored and only a few becoming main stays.
I would expect them to, though a lot of them may end up losing their books end end up on a team. It's interesting how Marvel is trying to push them as standing side by side with the originals rather than eternally in their shadows. Certain ones clearly aren't going anywhere either though even if less popular ones disappear.

"DC is so stupid not having a service like Marvel Unlimited!"

DC:Announces service that will include not only new shows but also comics and other media.

"Another streaming service?! Doomed to fail!"

To be fair, going by the actual DC announcement it really seems like Comics are just an afterthought and seem to be very minimal.

Seems like the Deadline article is the only place the comics is really even mentioned.

caliph95

I would expect them to, though a lot of them may end up losing their books end end up on a team. It's interesting how Marvel is trying to push them as standing side by side with the originals rather than eternally in their shadows. Certain ones clearly aren't going anywhere either though even if less popular ones disappear.
Lets wait till the sales come around

TheFlow

Banned
I really want to read this at some point, but I guess accompanied by all the negativity for the last year revolving Marvel and now Secret Empire, its going to suck out the last bit of joy for comics for me :/

Even if you only read Marvel comics, articles shouldn't make you enjoy the medium less.

Ross61

To be fair, going by the actual DC announcement it really seems like Comics are just an afterthought and seem to be very minimal.

Seems like the Deadline article is the only place the comics is really even mentioned.
The article on DC was made to highlight the shows. I highly doubt Deadline would pull something like that out of it's ass. They were given specific details for there article too.

It's most likely going to include the tv shows, animated tv shows, movies, animated movies, and comics. This is the same service that was rumored a month ago.

The article on DC was made to highlight the shows. I highly doubt Deadline would pull something like that out of it's ass. They were given specific details for there article too.

It's most likely going to include the tv shows, animated tv shows, movies, animated movies, and comics. This is the same service that was rumored a month ago.

Yeah, but the unclear announcement is making me thing it will be maybe a few related comic issues to cross promote the tv shows instead of a full MU equivalent.

Yeah but they way even deadline mentions comics make it seem more like an add-on than anything else. Really puts me in mind of animated comics or something along those lines that would just work as a small video.

They can throw in the word comics plenty of ways but I can't see them launching a whole marvel unlimited like service as just an afterthought to shows not coming out until 2018.

Ross61

Yeah, but the unclear announcement is making me thing it will be maybe a few related comic issues to cross promote the tv shows instead of a full MU equivalent.

Yeah but they way even deadline mentions comics make it seem more like an add-on than anything else. Really puts me in mind of animated comics or something along those lines that would just work as a small video.

They can throw in the word comics plenty of ways but I can't see them launching a whole marvel unlimited like service as just an afterthought to shows not coming out until 2018.
The comics wouldn't be an afterthought, it would be all one big service. I doubt WB would launch a whole service with such bare products and expect to see profit.

But I guess we'll have to wait for more details.

Top Bottom