• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Wanderer5

So what are some good spidey series nowadays? I still plan to look at trades for Spider-Gwen, through I didn't really dig the last one that came out (Vol 2). I read the first trade for the current Amazing Spider-Man run a while back, but I thought it was just okay.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard good things about Spidey, if you don't want something in continuity.

The only one that I read is Spider-Man, which is still good, but moves very slowly.

So what are some good spidey series nowadays? I still plan to look at trades for Spider-Gwen, through I didn't really dig the last one that came out (Vol 2). I read the first trade for the current Amazing Spider-Man run a while back, but I thought it was just okay.

The Miles Morales book has been really good. It's the one just titled "Spider-man."

The last arc was even a Spider-Gwen crossover story.

Renew Your Vows is pretty fun

GOTG #1 preview. The Guardians are in space!? Also, why is Peter looking like his Dad from the previous run?

http://www.newsarama.com/33927-all-...alaxy-1-puts-the-core-team-back-in-orbit.html

A couple of nice covers from Kuder.

Ylw4rCb.jpg

Wanderer5

Oh yeah forgot Renew Your Vows is around too. I keep that, Spidey, and the Miles series in mind whenever I go to a bookstore next time to read trades or see them in a sale. I might want to give the spider family some more love in my collection.

Malyse

Renew your fucking vows.

GOTG #1 preview. The Guardians are in space!? Also, why is Peter looking like his Dad from the previous run?

http://www.newsarama.com/33927-all-...alaxy-1-puts-the-core-team-back-in-orbit.html

A couple of nice covers from Kuder.

This book looks pretty cool, I might check this out once it hits trade. Haven't read much by Duggan but form what I know of him, he seems like a good fit here.

Lol, I totally forgot that at the end of Black Science vol. 3, Grant
totally fucking murder kills Kadir for literally nothing. Right back to square one in the game of dicks.
. Don't know how that passed out of mind.

Is it me, or is the Kindle & ComiXology option on Amazon crazy good, least for some things?

There's no point. Comixology's reader is better and you can subscribe to series so you don't have to track down and order every issue separately on Amazon. The only time I mess with Amazon is when their trades are on sale.

Wanderer5

There's no point. Comixology's reader is better and you can subscribe to series so you don't have to track down and order every series separately on Amazon. The only time I mess with Amazon is when their trades are on sale.

You can use the comiXology reader with the stuff you buy via that option. Anyway I was looking at some of the tradebacks for the spidey stuff, and there some good prices currently (like the Spidey series as a whole being around $8 via there, rather than both volumes being $10.99 each on ComiXology itself).

You can use the comiXology reader with the stuff you buy via that option. Anyway I was looking at some of the tradebacks for the spidey stuff, and there some good prices currently (like the Spidey series as a whole being around $8 via there, rather than both volumes being $10.99 each on ComiXology itself).

Yeah, if all you buy are trades then Amazon is better.

Moon Knight is on sale on ComiXology, and I've never read any. Which run should I pick up?

The Ellis/Shalvey run is quite brilliant.

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Vol-1-From-The-Dead/digital-comic/144276

These two epic collections are good value! The second half of v1 and all of v2 is the Moench run which is brilliant. It starts off pretty good with Moench defining the character and then takes off once Sienkiewicz joins him. (I am only halfway through this run myself but I am loving it).

[Though the first half of the first collection might not be for everyone. It is early appearances of Moon Knight and while interesting from a historical perspective, not really compelling. ]

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Epic-Collection-Bad-Moon-Rising/digital-comic/144261

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Epic-Collection-Shadows-of-the-Moon/digital-comic/297979

I also enjoyed the first volume of Lemire's ongoing run.

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Vol-1-Lunatic/digital-comic/457690

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh... that Gamora look with the hair pulled back is what she has in the Telltale game, which I thought was super weird but there you go, I guess thats why?

Ellis and Lemire are the ones I know are good.

The Ellis/Shalvey run is quite brilliant.

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Vol-1-From-The-Dead/digital-comic/144276

These two epic collections are good value! The second half of v1 and all of v2 is the Moench run which is brilliant. It starts off pretty good with Moench defining the character and then takes off once Sienkiewicz joins him. (I am only halfway through this run myself but I am loving it).

[Though the first half of the first collection might not be for everyone. It is early appearances of Moon Knight and while interesting from a historical perspective, not really compelling. ]

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Epic-Collection-Bad-Moon-Rising/digital-comic/144261

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Epic-Collection-Shadows-of-the-Moon/digital-comic/297979

I also enjoyed the first volume of Lemire's ongoing run.

https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-Vol-1-Lunatic/digital-comic/457690

Perfect, thanks.

Which one?

C5IrInWWEAQ_v9b.jpg

No lie: That wrasslin one is dope.

I love Laura's new costume. I was always mixed on the previous one and jacket are cool.
Blending her older and newer looks.
i liked the Bendis-Maleex run til the hook got old and killed Echo for no reason...because BENDIS.
A) Nobody was doing anything with Echo and B) I agree. Fun for the first arc. After that it was whatever. Whitney Frost was there, too.
Preview page but jebus Bendis.
Man he just does not give a FUCK does he? He just wants to be done with that book, I feel like.

Finally (took a long ass time) finished Iron Fist. Good god if mediocrity were a show. That ending was catastrophic. That said, still hyped for Defenders. I need to see how Danny bounces off of the rest.

On another note, I just started replaying X-Men Legends. Good god this game is so dense with fan service and references and respect to X-Men as a whole. Wonderful.
...which one is supposed to be the wrasslin' one?
Second from the left. With the hood and the belt.
I think thats the point of the long bubble. Peter is ranting around because he knows shit is going to happen.

Because he's been through that shit one too many times.

Really loved The Black Flame. Mignola is on a different tier.

The original Black Flame story from Plague Of Frogs? That is a fantastic story, it really established the tone for the BPRD to come,that anything can change in a moment and how big the stakes will get.

Poor Roger :(! I love The Black Flame after he realises what he's done and how bad he fucked up, before they take him. Great writing.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Has Mignola ever written a bad book?

Literally every Hellboyverse book I've read has been great, even from guest writers

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, I picked up that vibe. It feels almost like filler right now.

Even some of the transitional issues prior to the show being the beast that it is were good. This issue seemed to almost directly follow beats from the show, right down to the strange dialogue and laughable confrontations. He says that he's been able to separate the book from the show, but this issue showed me that it isn't the case.

Royals

Gave this a try, but ended up really not feeling it. The art with it's Saturday morning cartoon look really put me off as well.

X-Men Gold

Ended up liking this enough to keep going but found this first issue really cheesy at times and feeling really forced. The dialogue just really seems dumb.

tim1138

Whats the best jumping on point as far as Hellboy goes? Also what exactly is the difference between Hellboy and BPRD books?

The best place to start is the first volume of Hellboy. Hellboy is a solo title that follows his adventures around the world fighting monsters and suck, BPRD is a team book about the Bureau as the work to keep the world safe from huge paranormal threats. There's also a Hellboy and the BPRD series that follows his early years on the team.

Has Mignola ever written a bad book?

Literally every Hellboyverse book I've read has been great, even from guest writers

Nah, Mignola is absolutely golden. His major strength imo is his scripting style totally comes from an artist's point of view. He never overdoes the dialogue and always knows when to let the art speak for itself, when drawing himself or scripting for others. His stuff just has this wonderfully distinct feel too, the way the characters speak, the tone and pacing, it just has this strong flavor that's so different to everything else. I think out of the 60 odd volumes now (?) of the mignolaverse, the only two I'm not keen on are the 2nd ever BPRD trade since it was all just guest writers doing one and done spots before they had laid out PoF and I just wasn't sure hot on it, and the second witchfinder trade, which just never really finds it's footing. It's more of a love letter from Severin artistically. Otherwise, I pretty much love it all, which is crazy and speaks highly to the quality. Still kind of holding my breath of Roberson's stuff until I read more of it though, that could be interesting. It makes a huge different the books have been keep so tight creatively, there's remarkable few fingers on them for how many there are. You could only really call Mignola, Arcudi, Allie and now Roberson as *major* writers, with Mike always involved on some level, less so I think recently with the Roberson stuff. I wish Dysart had stuck around, but I guess he loved Valiant more lol.

The only thing I'd add is I feel bad for John Arcudi lol. Obvious we all know the difference in here, but I feel bad when people talk about these books as if Mike wrote them all but outside of just the one Plague Of Frogs min (the third?) and Vampire, he's never scripted the BPRD, never wrote some of those characters, that's all Arcudi's words and voice and a good dose of his ideas too. I think the *wider* world attributes a lot of the writing to Mignola solely and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Arcudi felt it was time to wrap up and move on at the end of HoE. The guy is a senior old school writer at this point but I don't think his name carries the recognition and favour it should in line with his quality of work since a lot of reviews will just talk about Mig's genius (which of course, Mig has in spades.) I hate there even has to be discussion whether Rumble is cancelled or not when it takes a few months break.

insanefreeman

Neo Member
Hey guys,
don't want to waste your time, so I'll be brief. My friends and I are making a scifi opera comic book and we are so close to make it on kickstarter. Perhaps there is someone here who is interested in comics and wants to back the project.

the adress is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagineincredible/lightstep-chronicles-retro-futurist-space-opera-co?utm_source=ks_launch&utm_medium=lsc_site_button

the comic in question is called "Lightstep Chronicles" and it is a space opera on a dark trip, with a pinch of social anthropology. The visuals are inspired by the Art art nouveau movement. Inside the comic you can find influences from the European school in frame composition and design, heroic anatomy and action-ready posing from US comics, and a dynamic page breakdown and love for foreshortening from Japanese manga.

thank you all!

here, a page from the comic
LwEEIWl.jpg

Top Bottom