• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

caliph95

Not to be a downer or dick but i thought self promotions is against the rules or is it only when creating nre threads. Just don't want him to get banned

Owzers

Don't post spoiler pages please, and saying spoiler before you post the page doesn't count.

Edit: I know it's fun to share things you like but use the spoiler markup thing to cover it ( does that still not cover it on mobile?) or link to the image.

caliph95

Also X-men Gold was btter than i thought it would be and hope it stays that ways.

Captain America: Hydra edition had one of my favourite moments of the week, which is Red Skull and HydraCaps confrontation,
though i didn't expect Sin and Crossbones to be immediately loyal and not care that he just killed Skull
Wonder how Kobik is going to react to this

Also Paper girls is good but feels like it will flow better when binged or in a trade.

Also can i say Judas Contract is the best dc animated movie we had in a while, probably my favourite of the New 52 movies along with Gods and Monsters and Arkham (i know they are not technically New 52 movies). Plus the only i'm fully satisfied with, though i'm not sure the fact i didn't read the original comic helps.
Also the relationship between Slade and Terra was handled better than i though it would be. Even call it tasteful.

Honestly even in trade vol 1 of Paper Girls was ropey. The actual plot was fine with some clever storytelling, some simply vague storytelling but the characters were really hard to invest in. It didn't spend enough time introducing them or building any sense of them before doing things that would require you to be quite invested. That was my experience anyway,i know folks talking about it now will be talking about further on. I do have vol 2 sitting up that I'm hopeful will really pull the whole thing together.

Running to get my sister home from central Stockholm. Will be on later.

BC: In March 2017, Marvel Brought In More Money But DC Comics Made More Sales
But what I can tell you is that, in March 2017, Marvel was the top comics publisher by the amount of money spent ordering their product by the direct market. A position which they have mostly held, year in, year out, for some considerable time.

But for March, more stores ordered DC Comics titles. The differences explained by most Marvel Comics costing $3.99 or $4.99, while most DC Comics cost $2.99 or $3.99.

And of course getting triple the usual sales on a $9.99 Amazing Spider-Man must have really helped those figures too.

Next Carol's War page:

tumblr_oo1cutmU9X1uwlmkuo1_1280.jpg

dan2026

Marvel really have turned Captain Marvel into a complete nutter.

If they were trying to get me to hate her, mission accomplished I guess.

Whats the best jumping on point as far as Hellboy goes? Also what exactly is the difference between Hellboy and BPRD books?

Hellboy and the BPRD 1953 is pretty decent if you just want to jump in. It's a series focusing on adventures from Hellboy's time in the BPRD during the 50s.

For the main books, you'll really want to start from the beginning. Everything that happens builds off of the early stories and they're all great once they get into their grooves. Yes, there's a lot of material, but it is very worth it.

Hellboy is, obviously focusing on Hellboy. There's a lot of stories of him kind of getting mixed up with monsters and weird encounters, but also a lot of him discovering his past and his fate.

BPRD is a team book focused on an organization with the same name that focuses on paranormal events. It doesn't start until after Hellboy Conqueror Worm, but it's all about Hellboy's supporting cast (Liz, Abe, Kate). It starts off kind of rough, but as it progresses and John Arcudi joins the creative team, it quickly becomes amazing. In many ways, it becomes THE book for the universe and is just a fantastic team comic.

There's a ton of books in the universe, but the main Hellboy and BPRD series are really the only ones you have to read. I only got into the universe around two years ago or so, but they've become some of my favorites since then.

Just finished Civil War II...

That was a thing I guess, at least it wasn't as long as the first one. I mean it was basically carol being a dick, I mean has she never seen minority report or something?

Also how does maria hill still have her job, every time I see her it's her fucking up, I don't think I've read a single thing where something she does turns out alright. At least fury seemed competent.

caliph95

That was a thing I guess, at least it wasn't as long as the first one. I mean it was basically carol being a dick, I mean has she never seen minority report or something?

Also how does maria hill still have her job, every time I see her it's her fucking up, I don't think I've read a single thing where something she does turns out alright. At least fury seemed competent.
After Standoff they finally had enough of her and just fired her
Seriously though Maria Hill being the biggest bitch is now endearing to me and hope she is another team to go back to being the worst. After all the character development she had with Matt Fraction Iron Man it seems liked she learned nothing.

Messi

She is on trial

Good news: she no longer has a job, though her valiant attempt to build a wall around Space USA to keep Space Mexico out did get some traction.

caliph95

Good news: she no longer has a job, though her valiant attempt to build a wall around Space USA to keep Space Mexico out did get some traction.
Well do you think they should about those darn Space mexicans, all they do is take jobs, commit crime and rape. Some i assume are good people.

It's weird in one comic Carol is space Trump and in another is pro alien refugees

After Standoff they finally had enough of her and just fired her
Seriously though Maria Hill being the biggest bitch is now endearing to me and hope she is another team to go back to being the worst. After all the character development she had with Matt Fraction Iron Man it seems liked she learned nothing.

She is on trial

Doesn't civil war 2 take place after standoff (pleasant hill)? She seemed large and in charge there.

I agree that she's an amusing character, I just find it funny how she never gets anything right.

Well I don't like Slott's Spider-man very much, but I do like these Alex Ross covers.
He paints a good Norman.

His faces give me real uncanny valley vibes, but his stuff with masks on is great. Love his spiderman covers since the time skip.

caliph95

Doesn't civil war 2 take place after standoff (pleasant hill)? She seemed large and in charge there.

I agree that she's an amusing character, I just find it funny how she never gets anything right.

His faces give me real uncanny valley vibes, but his stuff with masks on is great. Love his spiderman covers since the time skip.
She already was a Chief in name only after standoff and she was on trial after a while fir standoff especially IIRC someone leaked the fact shield was screwing around with cosmic cubes. The trial was done after CW2

Is kinda why MCU Hill is the real worst.

I kind of want a Maria Hill solo series with her on the run being hill.

CW2 takes place after Standoff, but during that time in between she's a probationary director until they find her replacement. Shortly after CW2, she's forced to stand trial.

caliph95

I think Our Lord of Lore was talking Hulk, Amadeus Cho not Frank Cho.

Also that seems like a risky and dangerous way to vet potential moles

Man, that's just such a great statue!

Wait, what does Cho have to do with that?

He watches the new black guy who's clearly not going to be the All-New Patriot running from Hydra and finds it funny and so waits. Cho has become a giant dick in the last two years but this is too much.

Tim & Ty pretty much nailed it on where to start with HB. I'd always say start at the beginning with HB, after vol 5 start BPRD if you feel enthusiastic enough, you'll likely know by then. It is a pretty big undertaking, but there isn't really a better place to start. You COULD start elsewhere but in terms of best, that's it. The only thing I can think to add is, if the amount is too much (I'd have to imagine it's the number one deterrent these days), Baltimore or Joe Golem are both really good, give you a flavour of Mignola and aren't nearly as much of an investment/stand complete alone in their own bubbles, no shared universe with HB or each other. Baltimore is wrapping up at volume 8. They aren't quite as good as HB/BPRD but they are great and a good way to check out the type of thing the HB books are famous for.

I've barely had time to play Persona, still only about 5 hours in and I still feel deep in the tutorial stage of the game. Yokai Watch 2 just came out today and that's going to be using a lot of my gaming time for the next week or so, so it'll be slow going.

She already was a Chief in name only after standoff and she was on trial after a while fir standoff especially IIRC someone leaked the fact shield was screwing around with cosmic cubes. The trial was done after CW2

Is kinda why MCU Hill is the real worst.

I kind of want a Maria Hill solo series with her on the run being hill.

CW2 takes place after Standoff, but during that time in between she's a probationary director until they find her replacement. Shortly after CW2, she's forced to stand trial.

Ah I see that makes sense cheers.

And yeah I never realized when watching the movies that Maria Hill was actually a fairly big character in the comics. She seems like a pretty bland bit character in those.

Tim & Ty pretty much nailed it on where to start with HB. I'd always say start at the beginning with HB, after vol 5 start BPRD if you feel enthusiastic enough, you'll likely know by then. It is a pretty big undertaking, but there isn't really a better place to start. You COULD start elsewhere but in terms of best, that's it. The only thing I can think to add is, if the amount is too much (I'd have to imagine it's the number one deterrent these days), Baltimore or Joe Golem are both really good, give you a flavour of Mignola and aren't nearly as much of an investment/stand complete alone in their own bubbles, no shared universe with HB or each other. Baltimore is wrapping up at volume 8. They aren't quite as good as HB/BPRD but they are great and a good way to check out the type of thing the HB books are famous for.

I've barely had time to play Persona, still only about 5 hours in and I still feel deep in the tutorial stage of the game. Yokai Watch 2 just came out today and that's going to be using a lot of my gaming time for the next week or so, so it'll be slow going.

Tim et Ty sounds like a name of a classic Franco-Belgian comic.

Wanderer5

How many chapters = one of the printed volumes? I'd like to give this a shot but I don't want to read too much lol

It can vary, but I believe usually close to 10 chapters for a weekly manga series, except for say first volume of a series that would have less, cause the first chapters tends to be long. Regarding MHA, 26 chapters covers the first three volumes.

Top Bottom