• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Sandfox

first order of business when I get to write X-Men is to undo Cyclops' death. How anyone could think that was a good idea in any way is beyond me.
For this specific team I would bring back Wolverine over Cyclops, but Logan is being written actually like his younger version and I expect him to return relatively soon anyways. With Cyclops I would put him on a separate team have him step down from leading for a while.

The order you placed at our GameStop store has shipped!
IT'S GONNA SHOW UP MONDAY.

A4dhHRH.gif

Ruthless.

Volume 4 of Black Science was fucking magnificent. It's not a reboot but the book manages to wipe the slate clean to a pretty large extent with this storyline. It takes the things that worked about the lead character, embraces all the flaws and mistakes made with the main character over the years and pretty much manages to have its cake and eat it. There's been a few times throughout reading Black Science where I thought Mmmm, I get what he's doing with McKay, but I kinda of feel like I'm being fed an Aidan Pierce a little bit. An asshole who deserves none of my sympathy, but the narrative seems to want me to empathise and understand his flaws when it's not been earned. Godworld feels like it was written with laser precision and focus to solve this dissonance, and it doesn't cheat at all while it does so. Instead of rewriting or sidestepping the issue, it completely absorbs it and comes out the other side bursting with energy and a brand new mission statement. Very impressed.

God I love that book.

God I love that book.

Yea, this new leg is fucking awesome. Volumes 1-3 very much feels like act 1 & actions, whereas act 2 is all about the consequences, both on a grand scale but very successfully on a personal scale. I just blasted through vol 5 since it was only 4 issues, and yea, fuuuuck. This is definitely a case where the way the characters are being handled so well in the present enhances the previous material. It makes me feel good about a lot of the shit that happened before because the results become super fucking real for everyone and not just in melodramatic ways. Can't wait to see how this stuff wrinkles out.

dan2026

I'm not even sure quite why they killed off both Cyclops AND Wolverine.
Oh and Professor X as well.

What is with killing off all the main X-men characters these days?

Yup. Those are solicits alright.

Is Mother Panic worth catching up on? I only read the first two or three issues.

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not as good as Shade or Doom Patrol, but it's very reminiscent of the stuff you would see Vertigo publishing in the 90s.

That said, if you weren't into the first few issues, I doubt much will change. The artist on the current arc is not as good as the first either. But it's a fun read month-to-month.

Sandfox

Marvel just covering their asses so they don't get Trump'd next.
They basically trying to say the book isnt going to go at either side. Sam Wilson is obviously super political and obviously leans towards one side despite giving the other side some due, but I feel the people saying that Steve is supposed to be a reference to Trump we're off.

They basically trying to say the book isnt going to go at either side. Sam Wilson is obviously super political and obviously leans towards one side despite giving the other side some due, but I feel the people saying that Steve is supposed to be a reference to Trump we're off.

So basically everyone in this story is going to be an asshole. Got it.

mreddie

Both sides are the same?

One has nazis and bad guys and the others are the heroes but one leader put another hero in a coma.

Eerrrrr.

Marvel Comics: We Have Nothing Worthwhile To Say About Anything And Fuck You For Implying We Might Be Relevant

Marvel feels lost to me right now. Like they can't decide whether to double-down on the classic heroes or try something new (which is what I was really really hoping All-New, All-Different was going to be). DC came up with something in Rebirth and stuck to it whereas Marvel is afraid to commit one way or the other for the long haul. That says to me DC is confident in their product and Marvel is not. The revolving door of new Marvel books, cancellations and renumberings implies they have no idea what they're doing or who they're trying to market to.

Sandfox

Both sides are the same?

One has nazis and bad guys and the others are the heroes but one leader put another hero in a coma.

Eerrrrr.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about left wing and right wing.
Marvel feels lost to me right now. Like they can't decide whether to double-down on the classic heroes or try something new (which is what I was really really hoping All-New, All-Different was going to be). DC came up with something in Rebirth and stuck to it whereas Marvel is afraid to commit one way or the other for the long haul. That says to me DC is confident in their product and Marvel is not. The revolving door of new Marvel books, cancellations and renumberings implies they have no idea what they're doing or who they're trying to market to.
They're going to do both.

mreddie

They're trying to market to both the typical comic book people but also go outside the comic shops, to the youth and diverse crowd.

Problem is both sides dread each other. And Marvel is catering to both of them.
DC Rebirth is getting people back to comics but seems static while Marvel is going outside and yet, it's feeding people who either don't like Green Peppers on Burgers or Fries with Philly Cheese.

Hellboy and the BPRD 1953 is pretty decent if you just want to jump in. It's a series focusing on adventures from Hellboy's time in the BPRD during the 50s.

For the main books, you'll really want to start from the beginning. Everything that happens builds off of the early stories and they're all great once they get into their grooves. Yes, there's a lot of material, but it is very worth it.

Hellboy is, obviously focusing on Hellboy. There's a lot of stories of him kind of getting mixed up with monsters and weird encounters, but also a lot of him discovering his past and his fate.

BPRD is a team book focused on an organization with the same name that focuses on paranormal events. It doesn't start until after Hellboy Conqueror Worm, but it's all about Hellboy's supporting cast (Liz, Abe, Kate). It starts off kind of rough, but as it progresses and John Arcudi joins the creative team, it quickly becomes amazing. In many ways, it becomes THE book for the universe and is just a fantastic team comic.

There's a ton of books in the universe, but the main Hellboy and BPRD series are really the only ones you have to read. I only got into the universe around two years ago or so, but they've become some of my favorites since then.
Thanks for the reply, very informative. Seems the consensus is to just get into Hellboy from the start. Should I go for trades or are there collection's to look out for instead?

Sandfox

They're trying to market to both the typical comic book people but also go outside the comic shops, to the youth and diverse crowd.

DC Rebirth is getting people back to comics but seems static while Marvel is going outside and yet, it's feeding people who either don't like Green Peppers on Burgers or Fries with Philly Cheese.
Both sides would have less issues with each other they were both getting what they want. The rest of your post ties into the write-up G Willow Wilson recently did.

Thanks for the reply, very informative. Seems the consensus is to just get into Hellboy from the start. Should I go for trades or are there collection's to look out for instead?

The Hellboy Library Editions from Dark Horse are gorgeous. There are 6 of them out now and another on the way for Hellboy In Hell.

ElNarez

Banned

Jotting down some thoughts, it gets real disjointed by the end:

I feel like that's an overly simplistic reading of the situation, especially considering the fact that the needs of long-time and newer fans aren't incompatible with one another. If that were the case, things would've immediately gone to shit right as Jane became Thor and Sam became Cap. But it took a while longer for that to happen. Both things took place pre-Secret Wars, and yet Secret Wars still did pretty good business for Marvel.

What I will point to first and foremost are the usual suspects, the endless relaunches, the event-into-event-into-event model in which stories have been written, the rise in prices and a lack of decent marketing outside of comics circles that doomed a number of books before their #1s ever hit the stands. All of these factors together, along with the fact Diamond's pre-order system is a terrible pile of trash that plagues this industry and has no business still existing in the twenty-first goddamn century can explain why books aren't selling way better than the assumption that diversity in comics is a losing battle.

The other problem is, of course, that the books are shit. Some of it is due to the fact they have shit writers like Nick Spencer, or shit artists like Greg Land. But the consistency of how shit things are line-wids points at way bigger problems in editorial, and in the whole process of how things have been put together.

Take, for instance, the creator retreats, an idea that makes so much goddamn sense it's frankly astouding DC didn't steal it wholesale earlier. It's a big important thing if you wanna get shit together. Remember who didn't get invited to those? Kelly Sue DeConnick. You know, the one who busted her ass to make Carol as Captain Marvel a thing? You know, Carol Danvers? The character Marvel are trying to make a thing for the movie? Yeah. Maybe that whole shit kinda fell apart because you didn't really give a shit about it. (Remember how their excuse was that she didn't have an exclusive contract? God what a shit anecdote that makes Marvel look bad.)

Lately it's felt like there are two tiers of creators at Marvel. There's the Big Boys Club, with your Slotts, Spencers, Aarons and Waids, and then there's the tier where Kate Leth, Felipe Smith and whoever does those Deadpool spinoffs are. There are books that Marvel themselves don't seem to give a shit about, so why the fuck should we?

Furthermore, Marvel's editorial took a big hit when Stephen Wacker left. Like, that guy was really fucking good at his job, in a way no other editor really is. You look at Brevoort and Alonso, and how frequently they put their goot in their mouths, and you realize, boy, they're shit at their jobs.

There's more to it but it's literally 3AM where I am and I'm out of thoughts.

For Hellboy: Library Editions. They put everything in order and are easy to keep track of. Great books to own too-- they're very well put together and high quality.

For BPRD: Go for the Plague of Frogs collections (hardcover or paperback). They're collecting Hell on Earth (the second series) into similarly sized books this year as well.

Hellboy and The BPRD 1950s is only in trades right now.

FWIW, the Library Editions and BPRD Hardcovers are probably the nicest books I have. I can't recommend them enough.

dan2026

It's like I have been saying for a while, Marvels editorial and top brass are useless incompetents who haven't got a goddamn clue what they are doing.

One minute they are pushing 'diversity' (badly) the next they are returning to their classic roots (badly)

They keep shit artists like Land on the payroll. A literal thief who traces others work.
They bounce from event to event while disrupting every series they have.

Half their classic characters are dead or missing or changed.
Where is the Fantastic Four, Marvel?

Sandfox

It's like I have been saying for a while, Marvels editorial and top brass are useless incompetents who haven't got a goddamn clue what they are doing.

One minute they are pushing 'diversity' (badly) the next they are returning to their classic roots (badly)

They keep shit artists like Land on the payroll. A literal thief who traces others work.
They bounce from event to event while disrupting every series they have.

Half their classic characters are dead or missing or changed.
Where is the Fantastic Four, Marvel?
Based on what we've heard the F4 thing has nothing to do with editorial.

Right now Alonso and the others are in contact with retailers to find out what they and as an extension the fans want so we'll see if they can deliver. Apparently the retailers are happy with what they've heard though.

Aizo

Banned
Is it true that there won't be events for like a year after Secret Empire?
I don't have the time or money to keep up with the current Marvel universe.

dan2026

Based on what we've heard the F4 thing has nothing to do with editorial.

Right now Alonso and the others are in contact with retailers to find out what they and as an extension the fans want so we'll see if they can deliver. Apparently the retailers are happy with what they've heard though.
Then who does the FF thing have to do with?

Knowing Marvel these days they probably traded the characters for some magic beans.

Sandfox

Is it true that there won't be events for like a year after Secret Empire?
I don't have the time or money to keep up with the current Marvel universe.
Yeah, Marvel is done with big events for a while after Secret Empire.
Then who does the FF thing have to do with?

Knowing Marvel these days they probably traded the characters for some magic beans.
The suits.

dan2026

I mean it is weird, because Marvel fucking things up to the point where DC have been beating them in units hasn't happened in forever, it's never been this sustained.
I honestly think this started with the success of the Marvel movies.

While the movies have become increasingly more popular and successful, the comics have become increasingly worse.
Maybe just a coincidence. But it is weird.

Then likewise the DC movies have been a colossal mess, but their comics have been getting a lot better.
:s

Top Bottom