• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Sandfox

I honestly think this started with the success of the Marvel movies.

While the movies have become increasingly more popular and successful, the comics have become increasingly worse.
Maybe just a coincidence. But it is weird.

Then likewise the DC movies have been a colossal mess, but their comics have been getting a lot better.
:s
Marvel got too caught up with the success of the first few years of Marvel Now.

They basically trying to say the book isnt going to go at either side. Sam Wilson is obviously super political and obviously leans towards one side despite giving the other side some due, but I feel the people saying that Steve is supposed to be a reference to Trump we're off.

I'm just gonna point out that "both sides are valid" is like a prototypical Russian bot talking point? Not that I'm accusing you of any such thing. Just saying that "you shouldn't take a side" is a really shit thing for Marvel to be saying about this sorta thing.

All art is political. Saying that you're not making a statement with your story is a statement in and of itself, because it speaks to how you view the events in the story.

caliph95

I wonder if it's a marketing thing than anything considering Nick Spencer Captain America isn't what i would call apolitical especially with the parallels to populism and right wing walking points. Also that SJW Bombshells

Sandfox

I'm just gonna point out that "both sides are valid" is like a prototypical Russian bot talking point? Not that I'm accusing you of any such thing. Just saying that "you shouldn't take a side" is a really shit thing for Marvel to be saying about this sorta thing.

All art is political. Saying that you're not making a statement with your story is a statement in and of itself, because it speaks to how you view the events in the story.
I think it's moreso that people have had a negative reaction to how political Marvel has been lately and they don't want to alienate costumers by building a giant event around it. Retailers have asked them to cut it down and even people here were getting upset over it. In terms of the event they outright called Steve a villain in the interview and said this is a hero vs villain story.

I wonder if it's a marketing thing than anything considering Nick Spencer Captain America isn't what i would call apolitical especially with the parallels to populism and right wing walking points. Also that SJW Bombshells
The Sam book is more political than the Steve one.

mreddie

I get the feeling Secret Empire was planned to go full Facism til Dump won now Nick has to salvage it from being less about HYDRA and more about the Masters of Evil coming back.

That's what Empire is pretty much is at this point, the villains are once again the villains. It's just you have to go though the whole "goodie brainwashed as a baddie."

Shade #7 was great. Good look into Loma's life before the series began with some nice callbacks to Milligan's run. Sauvage's art was gorgeous too.

Sandfox

I get the feeling Secret Empire was planned to go full Facism til Dump won now Nick has to salvage it from being less about HYDRA and more about the Masters of Evil coming back.

That's what Empire is pretty much is at this point, the villains are once again the villains. It's just you have to go though the whole "goodie brainwashed as a baddie."
Spencer is taking Hydra back to their roots as well.

You wanna know what isn't political? This baby pig enjoying some ice cream:

IEDnbdR.jpg

Just reread the first volume of one punch man. In contrast, it really highlights how fun superhero comics can be. Big 2 comics tend to get wrapped up in themselves too much.

Just reread the first volume of one punch man. In contrast, it really highlights how fun superhero comics can be. Big 2 comics tend to get wrapped up in themselves too much.

If there's an issue I have with OPM, it's that it seems to follow the exact same formula over and over. Monster shows up, fellow heroes get rekt and underestimate Saitama, Saitama defeats monster, everyone is shocked. I've read all 11 English volumes so far, and it hasn't deviated much from that structure. In terms of superheroes in manga, I think My Hero Academia is a good bit more dynamic.

If there's an issue I have with OPM, it's that it seems to follow the exact same formula over and over. Monster shows up, fellow heroes get rekt and underestimate Saitama, Saitama defeats monster, everyone is shocked. I've read all 11 English volumes so far, and it hasn't deviated much from that structure. In terms of superheroes in manga, I think My Hero Academia is a good bit more dynamic.

At least OPM tries something new for a bit. MHA feels very generic and tropey. Well done and polished yes, but nothing groundbreaking. OPM got a bit boring after the first 5-6 volumes but so did MHA for me.

I never had much of an interest in MHA despite liking both superhero comics and manga. Looked a bit too much like a typical battle shounen series without anything really special to it. Nothing I've seen really changes that. Then again, the only shounen series I really care for are like, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, and Soma.

And on the subject of good superhero comics, I started Roger Stern's run on Amazing Spider-Man pretty recently. It's good fun and makes me wish I could enjoy Slott's current ASM run because man, Spider-Man is still the best Marvel character. He has gotten far too caught up with Otto and it's annoying as hell.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I honestly think this started with the success of the Marvel movies.

While the movies have become increasingly more popular and successful, the comics have become increasingly worse.
Maybe just a coincidence. But it is weird.

Then likewise the DC movies have been a colossal mess, but their comics have been getting a lot better.
:s
These are not even the same company. Its a coincident and what Sandfox said

Dalek

Jesus this art in X-Men Gold is awful. Looks like something I would have drawn in my notebook in 7th grade.

So when Magik just teleports the mansion somewhere does she also hook up the water lines, electric and sewage?

Sandfox

Jesus this art in X-Men Gold is awful. Looks like something I would have drawn in my notebook in 7th grade.

So when Magik just teleports the mansion somewhere does she also hook up the water lines, electric and sewage?
All that stuff probably works the same way it did in limbo, which will never be explained.

Dusknoir

Yea that's why I'm glad there's only one season.

All that stuff probably works the same way it did in limbo, which will never be explained.

it doesn't take Marvel Super Science to explain solar panels, generators, and water storage/septic tanks does it?

I mean jesus, no one asks where the sewer lines to the giant floating space station, the underwater city of atlantis, or attilan were when it was on the moon

ElNarez

Banned
it's like when Ethan Van Sciver hid "sex" everywhere in that one issue of New X-Men, except for the part where it's about enforcing religious bigotry

I'm getting conflicting information on what's included in the Knightfall omnibus out this month. Some sites say it's literally just Knightfall others are saying it's Knightquest and KnightsEnd too.

More Marvel delays:

Marvel Comics has informed retailers of production delays on several titles, including Spider-Gwen, Star Wars: Darth Maul, and Powers.

Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez' Spider-Gwen been hit with delays, with April's #19 now scheduled for May 3. That pushes back the subsequent #20 from May 17 to May 31, and #21 from June 21 to June 28.

Star Wars: Darth Maul is experiencing more significant delays, with May 24's #4 now pushed back a full month to June 21 - the planned release date of #5. With that, Darth Maul is pushed back to July 19.

Lastly, Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming's long-running Powers title continues an unexpected hiatus, as the last issue, #7, was released October 2016. Powers #8 has now been re-scheduled for May 10, with Powers #9 re-scheduled for June 14.

No reason was given by Marvel for these delays.

Top Bottom