• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Finished SuperMutant Magic Academy. Tamaki is so good at providing unique (and consistent) voices to her characters. So many of the one-pagers are well set-up in the first four panels and then abruptly subverted in the last two - I especially loved those!

Qx106hw.jpg

Finished SuperMutant Magic Academy. Tamaki is so good at providing unique (and consistent) voices to her characters. So many of the one-pagers are well set-up in the first four panels and then abruptly subverted in the last two - I especially loved those!

Lol, that strip got me when I was reading it too. Jillian's got a really good sense of humor.

I liked these two:

Jesus this art in X-Men Gold is awful. Looks like something I would have drawn in my notebook in 7th grade.

So when Magik just teleports the mansion somewhere does she also hook up the water lines, electric and sewage?

not only is that artist garbage

but it seems he's also a bigot

edit: beaten by ElNarez

seriously though, Sayf is a bad artist. There's hordes of good comics artists and they can't bother to get a good one for the debut? smh

The other problem is, of course, that the books are shit. Some of it is due to the fact they have shit writers like Nick Spencer, or shit artists like Greg Land. But the consistency of how shit things are line-wids points at way bigger problems in editorial, and in the whole process of how things have been put together.

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I want to push back against this point. Since the Queseda era, Marvel has had a great eye for talent. Even right now, they've got great writers and artist. Look at how many creative teams Marvel puts together stays together when they go to Image.

The problem, though, is they don't what to do with them right now. It's like watching a great basketball team under indecisive coaches and management. Putting in point guards as power forwards, and then switching them back. Bringing in power players for half a period at the beginning of the game, but then pulling them after 3 mins.

Part of that is Marvel is so thirsty for their next set of architects that they've skipped shepherding talent. Reminder found his legs on books like Doctor Voodoo and co-writing Punisher with Fraction just before he left. Hickman was on a dying Ultimate book before moving him up. Editors like Wil Moss are still grabbing interesting writers, but instead of quietly letting them work on their craft, they need to make big splashy announcements. A writer like Gabby Rivera would benefit greatly from a co-writer. I'm sure Gillen would have loved to work with Rivera for at least that first arc.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I actually saw the "jewlery" thing, it was strangely highlighted, but didnt thought much about it until I remembered that Kitty was jewish. Holy shit, this guy is so fired.

error4041

If Marvel delayed issue #2 so a another artist could redo the whole issue. how long of a delay would that be?

I kinda expect them to leave the artist on for the issues they have solicited so far, just paying more attention to the little details, making sure none of them make it to print.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1954 #1
Been awhile since I've read some Hellboy, so this was fun. Found it interesting that
the horse demon called Hellboy "cousin."
Other than that I don't have much to say. Fun to say.

Justice League/Power Rangers #3
Wherein we learn that the Rangers are trash. Zack telling Batman to get in the Mastodon was pretty great though. Also, despite the cover having Superman Blue on it, in the book he's drawn with red boots and gold braces. Was it like that before? It's been so long since I've read #2. Anyways, this issue was okay. Not exactly thrilling.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #13
Pretty dope. A few questions I must pose:
how Tommy managed to modify the powers. His powers are a fusion of white and green. We know that. I'm referring to the others. So far we've seen Mastodon, Sabertooth, and Tyrannosaurus powers modified. Different from the originals. I'm very curious as to how that worked. Also, what did Finster find? Surely it wasn't Alpha's head? Seems like a very unexcitinf discovery. Plus it was shoved in a box in some archives on the moon base.

Dope book.

Sandfox

If Marvel delayed issue #2 so a another artist could redo the whole issue. how long of a delay would that be?

I kinda expect them to leave the artist on for the issues they have solicited so far, just paying more attention to the little details, making sure none of them make it to print.
I wouldn't bet on them delaying it and just not expect him to come back after the first arc. Silvia is the second artist on the book and will be doing the art for some issues after that.

Got Saga Volume 7!

YES!

Reads!

God damnit.

:( picking this one up later in the month, will prepare for sadness. I love how well fleshed out the series is in general though, that it can go from funny to sad, to family drama and to galactic war on a whim. Interested in how
Petrichor
affects things, that was a nice shake up at the end of vol 6.

Sandfox

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, I want to push back against this point. Since the Queseda era, Marvel has had a great eye for talent. Even right now, they've got great writers and artist. Look at how many creative teams Marvel puts together stays together when they go to Image.

The problem, though, is they don't what to do with them right now. It's like watching a great basketball team under indecisive coaches and management. Putting in point guards as power forwards, and then switching them back. Bringing in power players for half a period at the beginning of the game, but then pulling them after 3 mins.

Part of that is Marvel is so thirsty for their next set of architects that they've skipped shepherding talent. Reminder found his legs on books like Doctor Voodoo and co-writing Punisher with Fraction just before he left. Hickman was on a dying Ultimate book before moving him up. Editors like Wil Moss are still grabbing interesting writers, but instead of quietly letting them work on their craft, they need to make big splashy announcements. A writer like Gabby Rivera would benefit greatly from a co-writer. I'm sure Gillen would have loved to work with Rivera for at least that first arc.
A lot of these guys are new so putting them on the small books with lower expectations on them makes more sense as an evaluation imo.

Messi

:( picking this one up later in the month, will prepare for sadness. I love how well fleshed out the series is in general though, that it can go from funny to sad, to family drama and to galactic war on a whim. Interested in how
Petrichor
affects things, that was a nice shake up at the end of vol 6.

I love her. I love most of the cast to be honest. I really enjoyed volume 7, even if it is wrapped in sadness. I am only sad because they have created such lovely characters and I have invested in them. So when they get hurt it feels bad. Some great moments though and one potential avatar that I am worried will get me banned...but we will see. Soon.

Sandfox

I really like Saga, but I felt this past year was the weakest of the book. That's still better than most other books though.

Messi

I really like Saga, but I felt this past year was the weakest of the book. That's still better than most other books though.

I really didn't feel like that but I can see where people would have problems. It felt like the dark middle chapter.

On a lighter note. Sejic is trying out his new tablet and he drew Emp and Sassy Ally.

I really didn't feel like that but I can see where people would have problems. It felt like the dark middle chapter.

On a lighter note. Sejic is trying out his new tablet and he drew Emp and Sassy Ally.

Yeah, saw it and Adam Warren retweeting it later.

Top Bottom