• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Watched the most recent episode of AoS....lawd have mercy

Anyways, comics!

The Magdalena #1
While not familiar at all with The Darkness and all that, I picked this up. Didn'y even know they were connected until I reached the end of this book. It's pretty enjoyable. It's like Buffy. I dig that. Gonna keep reading on.

ROM #7
Man this book is just the best. Mr. Knight intrigued me thoroughly. Seems to be a different play than the rest of the Wraiths. It also seems weird that they're referring to Revolution AS the "Revolution incident." I don't recall a reason for them to do that other than the title of the book itself. Other than that, goddamn. Book so good.

ROM #8
This issue was pretty great. We get to see some more powers that the Solstar have, and we also get to see Rom be a badass. Also
I don't trust Ruan. Does that make me space racist?

This fucking book, man

They putting comics in cereal now. I read this little Justice League one and it looks like there's a human female Green Lantern now and I think she's Latina.

caliph95

Watched the most recent episode of AoS....lawd have mercy

Anyways, comics!

The Magdalena #1
While not familiar at all with The Darkness and all that, I picked this up. Didn'y even know they were connected until I reached the end of this book. It's pretty enjoyable. It's like Buffy. I dig that. Gonna keep reading on.

I missed the Witchblade/Darkness verse might as well pick it up

Sandfox

Marvel statement on the X-Men Gold stuff:
“The mentioned artwork in X-Men Gold #1 was inserted without knowledge behind its reported meanings. These implied references do not reflect the views of the writer, editors or anyone else at Marvel and are in direct opposition of the inclusiveness of Marvel Comics and what the X-Men have stood for since their creation. This artwork will be removed from subsequent printings, digital versions, and trade paperbacks and disciplinary action is being taken.”

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/04/08/marvel-releases-statement-on-controversial-x-men-gold-art/

Trees #9 - #14 was a bit of a hard turn from #1 - #8 but it was still great. Concentrated only on two of the four threads from the previous books which was a bit surprising. I loved how the trade actually read like an OGN. I couldn't make out where the issue demarcations were at all! (It did mean the covers for the issue were at the end in thumbnail form which is a bit of a shame because they look awesome.) Howard continues to be great. I will have to track down Horizon. (How is that btw?)

Q49KCYY.png

Lets see when v3 is coming out...

Code:
TREES #11
Published: July 15, 2015

TREES #12
Published: August 19, 2015

TREES #13
Published: December 9, 2015

TREES #14
Published: August 3, 2016

Oh.

Lets see when v3 is coming out...

Oh.

Haha. Ellis has said there definitely will be a third (and I think final?) volume but he wasn't happen with where he was at with it and wanted to take some more time to develop the idea for vol 3 before starting in.

Howard's work is awesome. He's really flexible too, the kids book he did that I bought for my boy, Super Dinosaur, is really great and has this Saturday morning cartoon vibe.

Messi

Hoo boy. How did this even get by them before it went to print?

Think about how specific it is. Do you really think anyone at marvel would catch that? or any big comic company?

Putting Jew right beside Kitty is something else though. What a scumbag. He knew what he was doing and to do it in that specific issue...

Sandfox

You would have to be familiar with the Quran and Indonesian politics to notice it, which is why it only became a thing today despite people owning the issue for days. Editors also trust their artists to not be insane.

You would have to be familiar with the Quran and Indonesian politics to notice it, which is why it only became a thing today despite people owning the issue for days. Editors also trust their artists to not be insane.

Part of being an editor is also to know better than to blindly trust everyone they oversee.

This is a fuck-up on every level and Marvel editorial is a mess right now. I miss when we had guys like Wacker editing books.

Sandfox

Part of being an editor is also to know better than to blindly trust everyone they oversee.

This is a fuck-up on every level and Marvel editorial is a mess right now. I miss when we had guys like Wacker editing books.

Wacker and pretty much every other American editors wouldn't have caught this.

mreddie

In other news, I'm planning to rewatch ALL Fast and Furious films before the 8th because i guess a all day marathon isn't happening like they do with the MCU stuff.

No American editor was going to catch all that.

What's her story?

She was and agoraphobic given an evil ring from the Crime Syndicate's version of Green Lantern. She was able to overcome the ring's influence - the alternate ring took over its hosts - and joined the Justice League. She saved the Flash, lost her ring, but her heroism was enough that she was given a real Green Lantern ring.

Now she and Simon Baz are partners and the GL's of the Earth sector.
Green-Lanterns-7-featured.jpg

The hook is that they're bad partners, rookies, and each have their own issues. Jessica is still dealing with her general anxiety, while Simon uses excessive bravado to hide his self-doubt. It was a slow-starter, but if it wasn't for the general cast On Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, I'd say it's the better book.

Paper Girls #1-10: Oookay. Much better. I read the first volume earlier this year. I struggled to engage with the characters and found the book kind of confusing. I'm not sure if it was the deliberately meted out delivery of the plot/lore behind the main plot that confused things before but no such issues sitting down to reread vol 1 and go through volume 2. I guess the added context and clarity cleaned up it up and the full 10 issues felt like a more complete thought. The book still doesn't do a whole lot to tap into what I love and feel nostalgic about the 80s the way a modern homage like Stranger Things does or when going back to the movies or music of the actual time, but it's also pretty clear quickly that this book is about more than just 88 so it's not too big a deal. No idea where things will go next but I'm on board now.

Oh also the art team on this book are fucking stupid good. Just unbelievable quality between Chiang and Wilson.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How is Green Lanterns now? I dropped it but liked Jessica.

Also, were the new X-Men books any good? Despite the controversy

Like I edited in my post above, it was a real slow-starter, but if it wasn't for the general cast on Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, I'd say it's the better book. I love Kyle, Guy, and John, so GLC is generally just a chance to chill with them, though I don't really like the book all that much.

BKV is no dummie. He always gets great artists on his projects.

Right? No compromises in sight.i loved Chiang's run on WW too but there were a few fill in arcs with other artists. Most of those artists were actually great in their own way but I love the consistency here. I know the book's schedule isn't super quick, but the end result speaks for itself.

Sandfox

I posted this in the other thread, but it's probably something you would want to form your own opinion on. I liked it and the reception for the book has been mostly positive from what I've seen.

tim1138

Green Lanterns is my favorite Rebirth book. The opening arc with the Red Lanterns wasn't the best but Humphries has really found the voices for the characters and it's firing on all cylinders. The one off issue about Jessica dealing with her anxiety was amazing.

I'd love to drag editorial but I really can't blame them. There's no way they'd catch it. Obviously it's still pretty embarrassing, but I wonder who brought on the artist. Most likely CB Cebulski

VanWinkle

Been reading Gotham Central omnibus so slowly. Mostly because I've been playing games a lot since Horizon came out, but also because I had already read the first 700 pages in trade paperback. So the incentive to continue wasn't as strong. But yesterday I read almost 300 pages of it and I'm now into the stuff I haven't read yet. It's crazy how fantastic the writing and characterization is on this series. It's just insanely grounded and realistic for a book that takes place in a superhero universe.

Been reading Gotham Central omnibus so slowly. Mostly because I've been playing games a lot since Horizon came out, but also because I had already read the first 700 pages in trade paperback. So the incentive to continue wasn't as strong. But yesterday I read almost 300 pages of it and I'm now into the stuff I haven't read yet. It's crazy how fantastic the writing and characterization is on this series. It's just insanely grounded and realistic for a book that takes place in a superhero universe.
Glad you love it. It's one of my all time favorite series.

Glad you're enjoying it man, very cool series. This feels like it exists in a totally different timeline where people read Miller's Year One and just ran in a total different direction to modern day Bat Books. The uniqueness is great, sometimes makes me wish there was more like it too. Also, just to throw it out there, you finish up and want more, Bru's Criminal or Rucka's Lazarus, great options to follow up with!

Thinking about trying about changing it up a little with my next order, check out some stuff I've skipped by. How do folks feel about Shutter as a series, worth getting into at this point? I think I noticed folks talking about the current arc being a bit of a letdown recently, but as a whole piece of fiction, has the series been fun? Got to thinking about Keatinge after Glory came up not too long ago, and it reminded me of Shutter.

Glad you're enjoying it man, very cool series. This feels like it exists in a totally different timeline where people read Miller's Year One and just ran in a total different direction to modern day Bat Books.

I actually disagree. One of the big things for me about Gotham Central is the contrast between the grounded cops and the fantastical rogues and heroes. Between Batman impersonating a police officer in the precinct to the
Teen Titans or Two-Face kidnapping Renee
, it's the difference that really sold it. Year One was making Batman more conventional and believable, Gotham Central is about everything else.

Vibranium

Banned
Heard about the X-Men Gold thing, damn that's bad. Marvel really needs to go over with their editors on how to properly analyze everything, I know things will slip through the cracks though. Continuity-wise, they still make mistakes too.

Syaf put Islamic anti-Jewish and Catholic messages in the art for X-Men Gold that was even targeted at the characters. Dude is done in the industry.

Yeah, Kitty Pryde is a Jewish character, plus the X-Men were created by two famous guys of the same faith. I wonder if the guy even actually realized he would get caught instantly.

I actually disagree. One of the big things for me about Gotham Central is the contrast between the grounded cops and the fantastical rogues and heroes. Between Batman impersonating a police officer in the precinct to the
Teen Titans or Two-Face kidnapping Renee
, it's the difference that really sold it. Year One was making Batman more conventional and believable, Gotham Central is about everything else.

Mmm. I won't get into nitty gritty spoilers on the different arcs since Winkle is reading it right now, but there are parts of Gotham Central that I like much more than others, despite enjoying it a good deal (loving would probably be too strong so I've edited that there) it over all. That's probably where we peel off in different directions though, your distinction there makes a lot of sense to me on face value. Something to think about next time I read it through though man, it's been awhile, and I'm always keen to reinterpret or at least try to embrace parts I didn't like so much through another lens or viewpoint.

Frank Miller's Dardedevil run is amazing so far, certainly lives up to the esteem awarded to it.

I'm surprised Bullseye hasn't been in the show yet.

Green Lanterns is my favorite Rebirth book. The opening arc with the Red Lanterns wasn't the best but Humphries has really found the voices for the characters and it's firing on all cylinders. The one off issue about Jessica dealing with her anxiety was amazing.

Awesome, I bought it and Aquaman's vol 1.

I'm still afraid to check out Hal Jordan and the GLC because of Venditti, but did he turn that ship around?

I'm still afraid to check out Hal Jordan and the GLC because of Venditti, but did he turn that ship around?

The book leans heavily on the fact that while Green Lanterns is mostly about Simon/Jessica, everything else people care about in GL is crammed into this book.

It has some good moments. Recently: Guy vs. Arkillo. Kyle's return. Saint Walker. John Stewart in a leadership role.

But in-between those it's just an okay book.

tim1138

Frank Miller's Dardedevil run is amazing so far, certainly lives up to the esteem awarded to it.

I'm surprised Bullseye hasn't been in the show yet.

Awesome, I bought it and Aquaman's vol 1.

Hal Jordan is world's better than Venditti's N52 Green Lantern run. It doesn't touch the highs of Johns run by any means, but it's enjoyable enough and I buy it unlike his N52 run.

Messi

Glad you're enjoying it man, very cool series. This feels like it exists in a totally different timeline where people read Miller's Year One and just ran in a total different direction to modern day Bat Books. The uniqueness is great, sometimes makes me wish there was more like it too. Also, just to throw it out there, you finish up and want more, Bru's Criminal or Rucka's Lazarus, great options to follow up with!

Thinking about trying about changing it up a little with my next order, check out some stuff I've skipped by. How do folks feel about Shutter as a series, worth getting into at this point? I think I noticed folks talking about the current arc being a bit of a letdown recently, but as a whole piece of fiction, has the series been fun? Got to thinking about Keatinge after Glory came up not too long ago, and it reminded me of Shutter.

Shutter is fantastic. Leila del Ducas art is wonderful

Hal Jordan is world's better than Venditti's N52 Green Lantern run. It doesn't touch the highs of Johns run by any means, but it's enjoyable enough and I buy it unlike his N52 run.

The book leans heavily on the fact that while Green Lanterns is mostly about Simon/Jessica, everything else people care about in GL is crammed into this book.

It has some good moments. Recently: Guy vs. Arkillo. Kyle's return. Saint Walker. John Stewart in a leadership role.

But in-between those it's just an okay book.

The book being ok and having Guy in it just sold me.

All my cash -> rebirth books ;_;.

Top Bottom