• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Started reading my library copy of The World Of Edena. Definitely have to pick this up because just the first two stories (Repairs and Upon a Star) make it a great buy. Dark Horse library collections stay winning.

Moebius can drop you into a completely new and unique world so quickly! It is amazing how this came out of a request for an advertisement by Citroen. (There is major "product placement" for a Citroen Traction).

ovfVVzC.jpg

Ed! What does Moebius mean by a "pure and simple style with no excessive details" when the panels on the next few pages look like this...

Paper Girls #1-10: Oookay. Much better. I read the first volume earlier this year. I struggled to engage with the characters and found the book kind of confusing. I'm not sure if it was the deliberately meted out delivery of the plot/lore behind the main plot that confused things before but no such issues sitting down to reread vol 1 and go through volume 2. I guess the added context and clarity cleaned up it up and the full 10 issues felt like a more complete thought. The book still doesn't do a whole lot to tap into what I love and feel nostalgic about the 80s the way a modern homage like Stranger Things does or when going back to the movies or music of the actual time, but it's also pretty clear quickly that this book is about more than just 88 so it's not too big a deal. No idea where things will go next but I'm on board now.

Oh also the art team on this book are fucking stupid good. Just unbelievable quality between Chiang and Wilson.
Guess I need to get into Volume 2. I was of the same mindset after Vol 1. Liked the characters, loved the art, everything else seemed way too random, confusing, and "everything but the kitchen sink" to feel invested

caliph95

Paper Girls #1-10: Oookay. Much better. I read the first volume earlier this year. I struggled to engage with the characters and found the book kind of confusing. I'm not sure if it was the deliberately meted out delivery of the plot/lore behind the main plot that confused things before but no such issues sitting down to reread vol 1 and go through volume 2. I guess the added context and clarity cleaned up it up and the full 10 issues felt like a more complete thought. The book still doesn't do a whole lot to tap into what I love and feel nostalgic about the 80s the way a modern homage like Stranger Things does or when going back to the movies or music of the actual time, but it's also pretty clear quickly that this book is about more than just 88 so it's not too big a deal. No idea where things will go next but I'm on board now.

Oh also the art team on this book are fucking stupid good. Just unbelievable quality between Chiang and Wilson.
Going have to reread it soon it's probably becuase i'm BKV fan but i enjoy the series but i find a lot of it confusing and still have no idea what is going on exactly. I feel like his books are books that work better collected and binged.

Sandfox

Going have to reread it soon it's probably becuase i'm BKV fan but i enjoy the series but i find a lot of it confusing and still have no idea what is going on exactly. I feel like his books are books that work better collected and binged.

I think the same is true for BKV.

caliph95

Shutter is fantastic. Leila del Ducas art is wonderful

Cheers for that. The art definitely is striking in the previews, goes a long way to convincing a guy

Guess I need to get into Volume 2. I was of the same mindset after Vol 1. Liked the characters, loved the art, everything else seemed way too random, confusing, and "everything but the kitchen sink" to feel invested

Yea, I had this feeling after the end of vol 1 and the book is still told in a kind of lost-y manner, for lack of a better comparison. There's quite a few wtf moments, characters and moments totally sidelined for later, but I kind of feel the general idea behind the book and the main themes are there for me now, and that makes these things easier to digest once you have that through line. One of the more huh thing from vol 1, the use of the
Apple
symbol as a recurring motif is quite a clever shorthand for some of the things BKV is getting at.

Also the introduction of
older Erin
(spoiler for the end of vol 1), went a long way for me towards hooking into the story and cast from that POV and looking at the book as about that one character with a side cast oppose to an ensemble book like Saga that is dissatisfying. That redeems it in part from how I came put of vol 1,and makes things work better in vol 2 at least until he fleshes everyone else out better (which, if it's a bug bear, he doesn't necessarily improve upon in many significant ways in vol 2). The paper girls are fun to be around though and I hope the others get more of a spotlight in the future. It's easy to *get* what makes Erin and Mac tick, but Tiff and KC are still super in the background (at least I know their names now!).

Li Kao

Ok Gaf, I'm at this point again where I really miss comic books but I can't choose what to read, because I hate myself for being so interested in anything in an industry that publish books like candy.
So let's try it another way. I love comics, I love DC, MARVEL, IMAGE, INDIES, you name it. What are the must read these days ? I know that it's probably too vague a question and don't expect to find the solution to my fucking conundrum here but the only way to know is to try.

I don't even know how to build a pull list, as traditionally I did it with the full Diamond order form but this is just too much to choose from.

Ideally I would read the big two, many Image, some DH and Indies. As even that is impossible these days because time and money, I could try just the core DC / Marvel and some Image, DH and Indies.
The side question is what is the core of each big pub ? For DC I would guess Batman / Superman / Wonder Woman / JLA but for Marvel I have no idea.

1/ So what are the must read these days ?
2/ What would you say are the cores of DC and Marvel ?

For anyone that might find my posts here annoying, as rare as they might be, I'm truly sorry, it's not my intention to thread shit. I just want to take all the help I can get.
Because the other solution is not reading comics, and it sucks (but I fully expect that ultimately it will be the only solution for me).

error4041

Ok Gaf, I'm at this point again where I really miss comic books but I can't choose what to read, because I hate myself for being so interested in anything in an industry that publish books like candy.
So let's try it another way. I love comics, I love DC, MARVEL, IMAGE, INDIES, you name it. What are the must read these days ? I know that it's probably too vague a question and don't expect to find the solution to my fucking conundrum here but the only way to know is to try.

I don't even know how to build a pull list, as traditionally I did it with the full Diamond order form but this is just too much to choose from.

Ideally I would read the big two, many Image, some DH and Indies. As even that is impossible these days because time and money, I could try just the core DC / Marvel and some Image, DH and Indies.
The side question is what is the core of each big pub ? For DC I would guess Batman / Superman / Wonder Woman / JLA but for Marvel I have no idea.

For anyone that might find my posts here annoying, as rare as they might be, I'm truly sorry, it's not my intention to thread shit. I just want to take all the help I can get.
Because the other solution is not reading comics, and it sucks (but I fully expect that ultimately it will be the only solution for me).
I can't really tell what the main DC or Image books are. but for Marvel, I'd say it's the Captain America books, as both are leading into Secret Empire, Marvel's big summer event. so you might want to hold off reading any main Marvel books, until Secret Empire is over and Marvel will do some sort of relaunch.

but besides that, Some good Books I enjoy reading:
Jessica Jones
Infamous Iron Man
Kingpin
I Hate Fairyland (Image)
Curse Words (Image)

Royals, the new Inhuman's book, is also off to a good start.

No one finds them annoying, I assure you. As far as must-reads, do you mean current ongoings?

caliph95

Don't it's not annoying some will probably love to introduce them to books they like.

Attempting to step out of my favourites and just choosing out what seem to be the *must read* Image books from each of their hot ticket writers :

Saga - BKV
Deadly Class - Rick Remender
Southern Bastards - Jason Aaron
East Of West - Jonathan Hickman
Lazarus - Greg Rucka
Injection - Warren Ellis

It's hard to pick a key Brubaker book since he does shorter projects, but The Fade Out is a good place to start, current book is Kill Or Be Killed. I guess The Walking Dead is still a fucking juggernaut and people still discuss it every month, it would be rude to skip it despite my disinterest lol. Obviously, there's a lot more going on at the publisher but that's trying to boil it down, there's a few of my faovurites I skipped to keep things simple.

Dark Horse - Black Hammer by Jeff Lemire, Dept. H by Matt Kindt, Harrow County by Cullen Bunn & Briggs Land by Brian Wood have been their key creator driven things lately. I'm ignoring Mignola stuff for the sake of simplicity lol but Hell Boy & BPRD have been as good as ever.

I'll leave the big two to others haha there's a minefield.

caliph95

Attempting to step out of my favourites and just choosing out what seem to be the *must read* Image books from each of their hot ticket writers :

Saga - BKV
Deadly Class - Rick Remender
Southern Bastards - Jason Aaron
East Of West - Jonathan Hickman
Lazarus - Greg Rucka
Injection - Warren Ellis

It's hard to pick a key Brubaker book since he does shorter projects, but The Fade Out is a good place to start, current book is Kill Or Be Killed. I guess The Walking Dead is still a fucking juggernaut and people still discuss it every month, it would be rude to skip it despite my disinterest lol. Obviously, there's a lot more going on at the publisher but that's trying to boil it down, there's a few of my faovurites I skipped to keep things simple.

Dark Horse - Black Hammer by Jeff Lemire, Dept. H by Matt Kindt, Harrow County by Cullen Bunn & Briggs Land by Brian Wood have been their key creator driven things lately. I'm ignoring Mignola stuff for the sake of simplicity lol but Hell Boy & BPRD have been as good as ever.

I'll leave the big two to others haha there's a minefield.
Good more books for me

Also there is Ether by Matt Kindt
Ninjak by Matt kindt since that is current the most accessible book at valiant now.

Also there is Ether by Matt Kindt

Looking forward to this one hitting trade, hopefully it is close to the beauty of the Dept. H HC! Such a nice book to have on the shelf.

On top of Donnie's list also include Low. My favorite Remender book going right now

I'm honestly enjoying Low & Black Science in pretty close to equal measure to Deadly Class man, Remender & the teams on those books as a whole are doing great work right now.

Basically just read Rick Remender and Matt Kindt books

Hahah well it's worth noting for Kao's benefit that if he ends up liking any of those, literally every writer I mentioned there has at least one other ongoing at Image or DH as well, if not more in some cases. I tried the pick the *most* representative title for each, but of course that's entirely debatable.

What are people's thoughts on TERRY MOORE's Runaways?

I admittedly haven't read it, but I can tell you that Terry Moore is life.

Cheers for that. The art definitely is striking in the previews, goes a long way to convincing a guy

Shutter is definitely a gorgeous book. The story gets pretty crazy, too. To the point where I barely knew what was going on for a while. I still need to read the most recent issue.

I'll let others inundate you with a million books to try and simply tell you Giant Days is probably my favorite book currently being published, so give it a shot.

Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic

I can vouch for this, even though Messi trots it out every time people ask for suggestions. ;)

VanWinkle

Just read Wonder Woman: Hiketeia by Rucka. It was a really interesting take on Greek tragedies. Very well written and [mostly] great art by JG Jones.

Now onto the WW ongoing by Rucka (not the Rebirth one).

Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic

I'll let others inundate you with a million books to try and simply tell you Giant Days is probably my favorite book currently being published, so give it a shot.

I fucked up here, right? Feels like I fucked up. I tried to go down the general consensus route and missed my chance to plug Rumble. Next Brian Fellows will be in here telling Kao that Manifest Destiny is not only the biggest thing at Image, but the next big movie from Rogen and Goldberg.

Top Bottom