• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Slam! from Boom

What's this?

It's embarrassing but I own zero books from boom at all. Going to have to change that. I have a few down that I want to check out like The Spire or The Woods but I do basically just overlook them as a publisher for no real reason than I've never been in the habit of buying their stuff.

Messi

What's this?

It's embarrassing but I own zero books from boom at all. Going to have to change that. I have a few down that I want to check out like The Spire or The Woods but I do basically just overlook them as a publisher for no real reason than I've never been in the habit of buying their stuff.

Giant Days is booms best book by a margin. Get that first.

Redneck is going to be a pretty amazing book.

You guys really like those Southern-themed books. I saw the Redneck preview in the new issue of Extremity, but much like Southern Bastards, it didn't do too much for me.

What's this?

Giant Days is booms best book by a margin. Get that first.

As I've said, Giant Days is probably my favorite book being published right now. Slam! is a great book too, despite the fact a comic about roller derby never seemed very appealing to me before. Buy them all.

Sandfox

I wonder if we'll be getting the classic team back when the tv show starts.

Tom Taylor retweeted fanart of a Molly and Gabby fastball special. He needs to get on that alongside a Pet Avengers story featuring Jonathan and Lockjaw.

mreddie

I didn't like anything post bkv. I especially didn't like the Secret Wars book.

Because it's hard to recapture the glory days from the man who gave them the voice.

Thing is, you know they are gonna relaunch it for MMM but who would fit in that book?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
What's this?

Comixology is better at describing books than I am......

Best-selling novelist (Why Girls Are Weird, You Take It from Here), animation writer (Moana, the Wreck-It Ralph sequel), and comics writer (Rick and Morty) Pamela Ribon and artist Veronica Fish (Archie, Silk, Spider-Woman) dive into the fast-paced, hard-hitting world of roller derby! Jennifer Chu and Maise Huff (aka Knockout and Ithinka Can on the track) have been best friends since their first day of Fresh Meat Orientation for the Eastside Roller Girls, but when they get drafted for two different teams they’ll have to figure out if the bond between them is stronger than the pull of a team when a win is on the line. You get slammed on the track and slammed in life, and in both cases you have to take your hits and get back up again!

0d12fa7ed1df0ea0e6370128045723f5._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

d6dda6998fb10a519a4b89418952b3a4._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

*Keeps adding books to the list* Thanks guys. MORE BOOKS.

Also, slight tangent, but I picked up Moana for my partner, as an easter holidays type gift, and watched it last night. What an awesome movie. Today, she told me she was going to order me Deadly Class volume 5 (!) as a thank you. So there you go. Sometimes a little good will returns to you in the form of high school assassination pain & misery. Karma!

The Nameless City was pretty good fun! I love the setting - A strategically located city with so many names that the residents take to calling themselves the Named of the Nameless City. Hicks was able to give the city a certain character though the plot line of the book if fairly basic and mainly feels like a prologue to a larger story. I am definitely in for v2 though.

The one odd quirk she seems to have is to use lines under the characters eyes to give definition to the face but it just makes it feel like the everyone is blushing all the time... (maybe that's just because I've read too much Manga).

Immortus is a future version of Kang. The Avengers killing Kang at that point would have eliminated the possibility of Immortus existing. Immortus wouldn't be thrilled about that, "good guy" or not.

Valid point.
Kang and Doom's relationship is very, very strange- he's been hinted at being a descendant of Doom more than a few times during his history- but those two time travel so much that either one could be both decendant or ancestor depending on how history plays out. It's likely meant to imply that eliminating Kang *also* would prevent a future version of Doom from coming into being, and that Doom wouldn't be all that pleased about it. It's not Secret Wars/Battleworld Doom- Battleworld was Universe 7 and that's no longer in the timeline of Universe 8.
But some people remember U7 prior to Secret Wars, right? Couldn't Kang be one of them, assuming he is related to Doom?

that would be bizarre, since wiping out Kang throughout the timestream as they intended to do would also have wiped out future vision, and caused all kinds of time paradox catastophes. I don't see this one being plausible. Probably just meant to hint at just how altered Vision had allowed himself to become- and imply he may not be entirely heroic.
But if he found a way to do it with out affecting himself, since timelines can branch? I mean, he didn't erase Vision's memories, and he didn't erase Kang. Just sealed him in a bottle. So he still exists, just no in a conventional way.

She existed, and the epitaph is the same as before- I don't think the Avengers ever found out what happened to her though- the ending seems to imply that they eventually DID, and maybe even resurrected her somehow. That last shot wasn't the parker industries basement BTW- it was whatever tower or base future vision was in, where he was storing the future kangs in that time device.
I know the epitaph is the same, but how did it get there? And I recall one of Kang's future selves looking into the timestream and seeing the epitaph and looking shocked. So there has to be more to it, like it existed and got erased, and now it's back?

And I'm pretty sure that was Parker Industries. It was shown AFTER the Avengers got back into the PI building.
someone mentioned it's meant to echo the original wasp/parker relationship from decades ago- the two apparently didn't like each other. I agree it seems forced and nonsensical, but teenage girls don't really always have rational reasons for liking or disliking people.
I just want them to tackle it at some point.
That's just it though.

It reminded me of Cass at the beginning of tec...she was just sort of present in a worse costume with a worse codename. Yet Rachel had a lot of dialogue, so why did I come away with that impression? Because she's not written like Rachel or with much personality at all.

I know she's a tough character to write but I found all of her bits boring and unsatisfying. Tack on the extremely terrible costume and depiction of her powers and she's almost a book-ruining presence. Bleh.
I agree with you. I do. I just don't think she's as bad as you do.

Green Arrow #20
Good issue. Good conclusion. Nice inclusion to Roy's backstory. I also really liked Ollie and Roy's chemistry, and with that said I'm very much looking forward to his continued presence in this book.

Nightwing #18
So I'm assuming that Seeley is basically going through the villains Dick and Damien dealt with when they were the Batman and Robin at the time? Pretty dope arc so far. This book stays winning.

Superman #20
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. SHIT IS WACK.

Seriously.

Best book.

Shade the Changing Girl #7
Holy shit. Not only does this story make Shade more "human" than ever, but it hurts. It hurts bad. So much hatred that you can feel it flowing off of the page. A great issue that manages to be totally and utterly painful.

No one was.
She turned into a real Debbie Downer. She also downgraded boyfriends

I wouldn't describe
her as "emo" though. She's not angsty. She's just looser with her powers. Also, I think a lot of issues could have been avoided had Dick shared the plan with her and Connor. They're the only two from the original team to not know, aside from Roy who's busy living that dad life.

VanWinkle

Just finished the Gotham Central Omnibus...

Welp. So that's it, huh? I assume the series got cancelled and wasn't able to be finished up? I feel pretty bummed out that it ended a.) in an insanely depressing way, and b.) without any closure at all.

Sandfox

I like how Duggan is wrapping up the plotlines Remender never got to finish in Uncanny Avengers as his own run ends. I'm interested in seeing how Zub approaches the book, including roster. He's been coy about what will be happening in the book so who knows what's happening with it after SE.

I like how Duggan is wrapping up the plotlines Remender never got to finish in Uncanny Avengers as his own run ends. I'm interested in seeing how Zub approaches the book, including roster. He's been coy about what will be happening in the book so who knows what's happening with it after SE.

Duggan is doing the Lord's work on that book

Every issue post-Standoff has been incredible

Sandfox

Duggan is doing the Lord's work on that book

Every issue post-Standoff has been incredible
I agree and hopefully he can bring that to Guardians. So far his ideas sound good, though some people won't be pleased unless it's written in the style of Abnett and Lanning.

Uncanny Avengers is both the best Avengers book and best X-Men book, because Duggan finding a way to blend that concept much better than Remender did during his time on the book. What makes this book special is that it's a group of individuals from completely different parts of the Marvel Universe coming and staying together even when the world is against them due to their relationships and a sense of camaraderie. Zub seems to get this, but Duggan set the bar high and it will be tough for him to live up to that..

relationships and camaraderie that keeps the group together even when the world is against them. group not normal team and plans to keep up the camaraderie and relation aspect that Duggan used to make the book standout so hopefully he can deliver because the bar is set pretty high.

error4041

Duggen is secretly Marvel's best writer. Uncanny Avengers is great, and his Deadpool run is one of my favorite superhero books. His Guardians run should be great.

The fact we're getting a road trip arc after this next arc is amazing. I'm guessing they'll re-canonize some of the old stories along the way.

They're straight up referring to them as the Kents and nobody's batted an eye, save for Lois when she was looking at her mail. Superman Reborn was literally a universal retcon, and probably the single biggest one since Rebirth itself. Everything ever is canon at this point.

They're straight up referring to them as the Kents and nobody's batted an eye, save for Lois when she was looking at her mail. Superman Reborn was literally a universal retcon, and probably the single biggest one since Rebirth itself. Everything ever is canon at this point.
I mean more like showing the result of some old stories that happened. Like, they stop by a town where Clark decides to check up on a kid he saved from his abusive father before Flashpoint and the kid is grown up and in high school with his mother offering Clark cookies.

The Nameless City was pretty good fun! I love the setting - A strategically located city with so many names that the residents take to calling themselves the Named of the Nameless City. Hicks was able to give the city a certain character though the plot line of the book if fairly basic and mainly feels like a prologue to a larger story. I am definitely in for v2 though.

This looks great. Been keeping my eye on it for awhile but I think she said she wanted to wrap up the series at 3 books so I've just been waiting patiently so I can binge through them, from beginning to end.

Too engrossed in Persona to read comics, only read Shade this weekend.

Shade

I really liked this issue a lot but the end with Teacup seemed strange and was infuriating.

Marvel makes me laugh sometimes, they did whole interviews trying to say that secret empires not going to be political when it really should be lets be honest (is there a better time than now to do that kind of story) and now theyve ended up in a shit ton of political trouble with another book without even knowing it.

I was going to come on and say that I didn't mind x-men gold 1, terrax seemed weirdly out of place in it but on the whole it was breezy, some fun dialogue and fun ideas they could work with, also I didn't seem to mind the art as much as some did. I presume there going to release the issues the artist has done and then thats him done with Marvel. I really don't get what the guy was thinking, he must of known it would get noticed and he'd be in trouble. I can only think he doesn't really care and if he gets fired it will just give him more of the spotlight for indie work he does. Still though your on the flagship xmen relaunch series and you pull this.

I know it was a few pages back now, but I'd definitely recommend Shutter to you Donnie, the arts the main draw, amazing all the way through. The story is up and down, great world building and imagination but it has a kind of wild frantic pace to it that means theres sometimes not much pay off after story build up, but then your onto a new crazy story so soon after you can forgive it.

Also from my username you may have guessed but I'd recommend Giant Days to everyone. Probably the comic that puts the biggest smile on my face when reading it.

If I would have just seen a 30sec clip of cuts like the Hammer being caught and Thor coming out into the coliseum I would have still been hyped as hell and looking forward to the next trailer. Seeing this, I think I want to skip any further trailers that come out.

Looks like it could be fun, just hope they don't go too comedy/wacky with this though, ragnarok is meant to be the great battle that pretty much causes the end of the world, whereas the graphics are more boogie nights ha

Top Bottom