• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Thinking to myself at work. "What ever happened to Firestar" -googles- welp, not gonna go out of my way to look for something to read with her in it.

Eh. -shrug-

VanWinkle

This was ages ago and not Image, but I remember Mike Carey speaking about the mechanics at Vertigo quite in depth, regarding the unwritten and why their Vertigo trades were nicer than others, nice paper stocks etc., it was interesting stuff. It boiled down to the team agreeing to see less of the end total of sales in order to facilitate nicer collections.

Very interesting.

Awesome new avatar, btw.

Sandfox

Not feeling what? He's an older guy who is finally coming to terms with his sexuality and has absolutely ZERO idea what to do with that.

Or the series in general? Because I'm sure it'll be perfectly mediocre.

Yeah, I don't see a problem, especially since it's going to focus on Iceman building a legacy like the rest of the original X-Men. If anything the art looks better than I was expecting. I'm guessing the issue people have is Iceman finally coming to terms with his sexuality two years(irl) after the reveal.

Man Kitty is kind of shitty towards Douglock. He didn't ask for any of this and she's just being shitty towards him. Also I'm surprised at how personal so much of Phalanx Covenant has been. Seriously. Halfway through it, and a good chunk has been interpersonal melodrama and not a lot of real action.
Yeah, I don't see a problem, especially since it's going to focus on Iceman building a legacy like the rest of the original X-Men. If anything the art looks better than I was expecting. I'm guessing the issue people have is Iceman finally coming to terms with his sexuality two years(irl) after the reveal.

Vitti is delightful, so I expected nothing less that such from the art. That said, I'm pretty sure no one was going to be happy with it. People who supported it are upset that it's taken so long and people who were against the retcon are against addressing it regardless.

Is there anyway to recover your Mii? Cuz right now it looks like I'm gonna have to create a new one.

Mmm, I believe I imported the Mii I had from my actual Nintendo account, that I made awhile back on Miitomo and had imported onto the Wii U/3ds. I mostly only have room in my heart for disdain towards my Mii though so I wasn't too fussed either way.

Very interesting.

Awesome new avatar, btw.

Screen+shot+2011-07-19+at+1.24.31+AM.png

Gotta love The Lobster!

I realize I skipped this, but I remembered it and wanted to ask: what do you mean by 'strange'?
That Teacup would do that? Because I buy it. We see that she is very easily manipulated. She was terrified of Shade's body's former resident. She's even shown to be manipulated and pushed around by the rest of the swim team. She doesn't fit in anywhere, and I think even though she knows that Shade is actually a different person, she's still scared. She's still easily manipulated, because she's easily scared. From what we've seen, she pretty much tries to mind her own business, because otherwise she gets picked on. Pushed around. All that shit. It's certainly infuriating. I mean, we see what Shade's going through, and this issue really cements that, so to see her humiliated so openly with the assistance of one of two people that she's managed to connect with. Note: Teacup didn't actually do it. She helped, but she didn't actually participate. River knew nothing about it.

Sorry I didn't go into much detail, I more meant strange and infuriating from a personal standpoint and not so much seeing the story itself as strange and infuriating. I completely bought that she would do it, I just somehow didn't see it coming so it made it more infuriating. Good on the comic for eliciting an emotional response from something that could easily just be cliché.

Mindwipe

Yeah. I still hate everything about this change... There's no way of putting that shitty genie back in the bottle without controversy.

This series is probably DOA anyway.

They could have him explore his sexuality for a bit and decide that he was bi.

Which is what they should have done in the first place.

Not feeling what? He's an older guy who is finally coming to terms with his sexuality and has absolutely ZERO idea what to do with that.

Or the series in general? Because I'm sure it'll be perfectly mediocre.

I'm certainly not feeling the way Bobby's drawn on that first interior page. Its so muddy and bland, like something you'd see in a mid-tier Dynamite book. The next Iceman page is better tho.

Made my way through some more of The World of Edena (just finished The Goddess and about to start Stel). It just keeps getting weirder and weirder. A lot of the time I am just trying to figure out Moebius' themes. I know that is what he intended for the reader but it can get frustrating at times. But when it continues to look this good, that isn't a very big problem for me.

Kssio_Aug

I'm new to thie comic universe, and to get into it I bought yesterday: Batman: Year One from a local store andAmazing Spider-Man Masterworks Vol. 1 and 2 from comixology. I've also downloaded some Comixology Unlimited items while in the free-trial, such as Scott Pilgrim and Crisis on Infinite Earths issue #1.

I'd like to know a few things:

a) Are all DC heroes stories rebooted?
b) Should I start with the classics or jump right to the last series?
c) Can someone recommend me some Comixology Unlimited issues?
d) Which is the best Spider-Man serie?

Thanks! =)

caliph95

I'm new to thie comic universe, and to get into it I bought yesterday: Batman: Year One from a local store andAmazing Spider-Man Masterworks Vol. 1 and 2 from comixology. I've also downloaded some Comixology Unlimited items while in the free-trial, such as Scott Pilgrim and Crisis on Infinite Earths issue #1.

Thanks! =)
a) yes
Also do you want just any good story and books or do you want to keep with the current status quo

Kssio_Aug

a) yes
Also do you want just any good story and books or do you want to keep with the current status quo

I don't mind reading some good unrelated stories, but I think that first I'd like to know the current status quo so I can try to follow the discussions and all...

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Thanks! =)

If you are a Starter, go with Ultimate Spider-Man.

Rooster12

Thanks! =)

B. It doesn't matter. Old classic issues are fun and makes you understand the characters better. The newer issues can be good but it doesn't really capture that classic feeling of DC characters that fans are used to.

d. Amazing Spider-Man from 1960 to 1990

I feel like I want to get into green lantern, Something about it lures me to it even though it's kinda silly.

What's some good trades to pick up? I also find it wierd how trades work as a total beginner (that's why I like self contained graphical novels that are just one book. Much easier). For example..

Sinestro corps war.
Trade Paperback Collection of Green Lantern Vol. 5 and Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2. Collects Green Lantern 21-25, Green Lantern Corps 14-19 and Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special 1.

It's like a few issues of a comic here and there. What then happens if i read and buy "Green lantern corps" for example. Won't i get the story twice? What's the correct way to go about this?

Comics are hard :/

kmfdmpig

Sinestro War was occuring in both Green Lantern comics for quite some time, so it would be a bit hard to collect.
I'd say just get the one book that you mentioned and that should give you most of it, and all that's essential.

tim1138

I feel like I want to get into green lantern, Something about it lures me to it even though it's kinda silly.

What's some good trades to pick up? I also find it wierd how trades work as a total beginner (that's why I like self contained graphical novels that are just one book. Much easier). For example..

Sinestro corps war.
Trade Paperback Collection of Green Lantern Vol. 5 and Green Lantern Corps Vol. 2. Collects Green Lantern 21-25, Green Lantern Corps 14-19 and Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special 1.

It's like a few issues of a comic here and there. What then happens if i read and buy "Green lantern corps" for example. Won't i get the story twice? What's the correct way to go about this?

Comics are hard :/

The only way to get the Sinestro Corps War story is in that trade. The volume numbers you see are the publication volumes for each title, ie the Green Lantern 2005-2011 series was the fifth series in DC's publication history titled Green Lantern, so it's volume 5. Although that's wrong because that run was volume 4, but whatever, you get the idea.

The Geoff Johns era of Green Lantern was great, if you want to check it out the reading order via trade is:

Pre New 52
Green Lantern Rebirth
No Fear
Revenge of the Green Lanterns
Wanted: Hal Jordan
Sinestro Corps War
Rage of the Red Lanterns
Secret Origin
Agent Orange
Blackest Night
Green Lantern: Blackest Night
Green Lantern Brightest Day
War of the Green Lanterns

New 52
Sinestro
Revenge of the Black Hand
The End (the issues in this were part of two larger crossovers but read fine on their own, if you are interested in the larger stories they are collected in Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quiet week for me

Detective Comics #954
Suicide Squad #15

Amazing Spider-Man #26
Captain America Sam Wilson #21
Silver Surfer #10
Weapon X #1

Still on the fence about the Knightfall v1 Omnibus. I remember enjoying that run but I also enjoyed Hush which I read at about the same time. In a more recent re-read, Hush didn't hold up that well...

Mindwipe

Nah, Disney's lawyers would have succeeded easily here. They had a very strong case.

More likely Disney and Hasbro (who have a lot of existing business relationships) just horse traded, and Disney agreed to drop the case and let Hasbro have it, because they simply cared more, in exchange for a contract that said Hasbro would let Disney use the trademark if they ever needed to for Marvel, and probably something else unrelated that Disney wanted from them.

Mindwipe

Still on the fence about the Knightfall v1 Omnibus. I remember enjoying that run but I also enjoyed Hush which I read at about the same time. In a more recent re-read, Hush didn't hold up that well...

I actually think Knightfall reads better now, if only because Jean-Paul's erm... issues with women are a pretty well drawn parody of the average online shitlord.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Copperhead #12
Drifter #18
Seven to Eternity #5
The Wicked + The Divine #28

Spencer & Locke #1 (A detective and his imaginary panther friend try to solve the murder of Locke's high school sweetheart.)

skybald

I am absolutely new to any comic outside of Walking Dead. I am giving some other stuff a try though.

So far this month:

Inhumans Prime #1
Don't know if I will pick up anymore because I barely know what is going on.

The Walking Dead #166
Love this series. First book I actually bought in the series. I just cannot wait to buy more.

Looking to pick up Redneck #1 next week. Still waiting for someone to get X-Men Gold in stock around here. I just missed it last week. Ugh. That would have been a collectors version too (not that I am really looking to collect 😬).

I need to find out what is coming out tomorrow. Don't know if there is anything my speed yet.

I have read The Preacher Vol. 1 and really loved it. So now I need to buy Vol. 1 and 2 when they are at a good price.

Top Bottom