• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

mreddie

Secret-Warriors-10.jpg

Secret Warriors preview

dan2026

Yeah. I still hate everything about this change... There's no way of putting that shitty genie back in the bottle without controversy.

This series is probably DOA anyway.
Iceman suddenly being gay out of nowhere is still so bizarre.
And kinda insulting to be honest. Someone doesnt just become gay one day after years and years with no hints at all.

The only way it makes sense to me is if Jean Grey fucked with his mind.

caliph95

CMX added a whole bunch of classic Captain Marvel, classic GotG and Spider-Girl issues today.
Strange i would think they would already have Carol Danvers
And kinda insulting to be honest. Someone doesnt just become gay one day after years and years with no hints at all.

Making him bi probably be better but it's too late now

I still think it should've been Illyana. She's more popular, hasn't shown much interest in either men or women, is Kitty's soulmate and Claremont and a ton of other writers already teased her with Kitty. Her being together with Leah in Battleworld was also well received.

caliph95

I still think it should've been Illyana. She's more popular, hasn't shown much interest in either men or women, is Kitty's soulmate and Claremont and a ton of other writers already teased her with Kitty. Her being together with Leah in Battleworld was also well received.
They still probably could nothing to stop them except from the anti-sjw groups but otherwise sure. Too bad Leah is gone and is with thanos now.

dan2026

I could see Illiyana being gay or bi. That makes a whole lot more sense than Iceman.

Fucking Marvel have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

They still probably could nothing to stop them except from the anti-sjw groups but otherwise sure. Too bad Leah is gone and is with thanos now.
Actually, that Leah showed up in Queen of Hel and left in a car with Thori before Bendis/Marvel could ruin Angela and Sera's happy ending.

ElNarez

Banned
These people in the comments thinking that Mr. Sinister being sassy would be something new.
I'll just find any excuse to post Sinister London

2568070-sinisterclones.jpg

Sinister London was dope as fuck and between that and the Manchester Gods, I wish Kieron Gillen would get back to the big Social Commentary Comics because he's fucking great at it. There's some of it in WicDiv, but it's not what it's about and I really miss it.

Sinister London was dope as fuck and between that and the Manchester Gods, I wish Kieron Gillen would get back to the big Social Commentary Comics because he's fucking great at it. There's some of it in WicDiv, but it's not what it's about and I really miss it.
I'm hoping Ludocrats might have a bit of it.

dan2026

Huh I just remembered that there are two Icemen now.

Does that mean there is one straight one and one gay one?
Or are they both gay now?

My head hurts.

caliph95

Huh I just remembered that there are two Icemen now.

Does that mean there is one straight one and one gay one?
Or are they both gay now?

My head hurts.
Both

Adult one revealed he was a closeted gay guy, tough with the reveal that O5 are from another universe that can be retcon.

General rule of thumb thought, of course there's exceptions but: Superhero comics have been so bad in the past at giving their casts long term significant others, normal relationships or giving panel time to normal every day life stuff like whether a relationship or having kids can work under any strain, nevermind super hero weird life styles (a good modern example is Lemire putting it front and center in Animal Man though). In that sense, I'd find it hard to be surprised or put off by any marvel or dc character comkng out as gay or bi bar a few cases. Of course in previous publishing eras no character would have previously gave you the idea they are anything other than straight. Iceman feels like as good a choice as any if you want to work it into classic characters oppose to always making a new character. Now whether the creative team and Marvel at large can put out a good book that brings in these elements, that's another matter haha

dan2026

To be honest I feel like the X-kids have massively outstayed their welcome.
I don't care which time or universe they came from, they need to fuck off back there.

Hagi

tumblr_inline_onuuu8Cngl1swxt4s_540.png

I'll never not laugh at how terribly this was handled especially now we know they aren't even from the past but it is what it is. I'll check out the 6 issues his series will last.

Oh I know they are sticking around I just dont know why.

What purpose do they serve anymore?
It's just confusing, especially when there are other versions of two of them knocking around.

It's called having your cake and eating it too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its a new name. Sometimes, big Publishers do this to infuse a Lineup with new life. Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man is basicly the same series as Ultimate Spider-Man, just the second part of it.

Ultimate spiderman would be such an investment at this point, my wallet would cry. I'd probably just start at Amazing Spiderman or Spiderman (miles) that started after Secret Wars. Only a few volumes to catch up and entirely written for folks to be able to follow. That, or hold off for the new spectacular spiderman book, will be even more accessable than amazing. Then again, I haven't actually read a regular spider book in ages. Renew your vows looks fun though. It's the Spiderman book I thought the future would be as a 90s kid reading the clone saga lol

caliph95

Following a major controversy over highly charged political and religious messages hidden within ”X-Men Gold" #1, Marvel has officially announced that Ardian Syaf is no longer that series' artist as his contract with the company has been terminated, ”effective immediately."

Due to the fact that the next two issues of the twice-monthly series has already been sent to the printer, Syaf's art will continue to be seen in ”X-Men Gold" #2 and ”X-Men Gold" #3. R.B. Silva will draw ”X-Men Gold" #4, #5 and #6 — issue #4 was originally solicited with art by Syaf — and Ken Lashley will illustrate ”X-Men Gold" #7, #8 and #9. There's no word yet on if the shipping schedule of future issues will be affected.
The original plan for the series was for Syaf to act as lead artist, with Silva and Lashley also rotating on the book. . Marvel has stated that a replacement for Syaf on ”X-Men Gold" will be named in the near future.

Marvel's statement, released to CBR, reads in full:

”Marvel has terminated Ardian Syaf's contract effective immediately. ‘X-Men Gold' #2 and #3 featuring his work have already been sent to the printer and will continue to ship bi-weekly. Issues #4, #5, and #6 will be drawn by R. B. Silva and issues #7, #8, and #9 will be drawn by Ken Lashley. A permanent replacement artist will be assigned to ‘X-Men Gold' in the coming weeks."

Sandfox

I'm not sure that's how it works. Also, I would assume they went that direction with Iceman because people were already speculating that he was gay. Bendis didn't handle it well though.
Secret Warriors preview
I'm expecting good things from this book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ultimate spiderman would be such an investment at this point, my wallet would cry. I'd probably just start at Amazing Spiderman or Spiderman (miles) that started after Secret Wars. Only a few volumes to catch up and entirely written for folks to be able to follow. That, or hold off for the new spectacular spiderman book, will be even more accessable than amazing. Then again, I haven't actually read a regular spider book in ages. Renew your vows looks fun though. It's the Spiderman book I thought the future would be as a 90s kid reading the clone saga lol

Or just go to Marvel Unlimited and read everything there. The current Amazing Spider-Man is not something I can recommend to someone who wants to start with the book.

Or just go to Marvel Unlimited and read everything there. The current Amazing Spider-Man is not something I can recommend to someone who wants to start with the book.

Haha that's true, I didn't even think of that. I still don't really consider MU when thinking about catching up on stuff. The last Amazing I read was worldwide vol. 1. I found it fine and I hadn't read since Spider Island before that but it's moot, the MU idea is a better one.

mreddie

CBR'S 15 Underrated Creators.

15. RICH TOMMASO
14. JULIA GFRÖER
13. KELLY THOMPSON
12. FAITH ERIN HICKS
11. LESLIE HUNG
10. CECIL CASTELLUCCI
9. MARLEY ZARCONE
8. MARIKO TAMAKI
7. JOE QUINONES
6. CHYNNA CLUGSTON FLORES
5. DOC SHANER
4. HOPE LARSON
3. RAMON VILLALOBOS
2. AL EWING
1. JAMES STOKOE

caliph95

15. RICH TOMMASO
14. JULIA GFRÖER
13. KELLY THOMPSON
12. FAITH ERIN HICKS
11. LESLIE HUNG
10. CECIL CASTELLUCCI
9. MARLEY ZARCONE
8. MARIKO TAMAKI
7. JOE QUINONES
5. DOC SHANER
4. HOPE LARSON
3. RAMON VILLALOBOS
2. AL EWING
1. JAMES STOKOE

bAjxhTH.gif

15. RICH TOMMASO
14. JULIA GFRÖER
13. KELLY THOMPSON
12. FAITH ERIN HICKS
11. LESLIE HUNG
10. CECIL CASTELLUCCI
9. MARLEY ZARCONE
8. MARIKO TAMAKI
7. JOE QUINONES
5. DOC SHANER
4. HOPE LARSON
3. RAMON VILLALOBOS
2. AL EWING
1. JAMES STOKOE

Just going on the art of Dead Orbit I completely agree with number 1.

Kssio_Aug

I've bought yesterday the Masterworks vol. 1 and 2. I'll read 'em first and than I will consider signing to MU.

MU seems pretty awesome, my only issue with it is that I also like DC, and in my current situtation it may be quite rough to my wallet. lol

Maybe there are some collections or story arcs that are more economic and will suffice what's necessary to catch up the new comics?

Messi

15. RICH TOMMASO
14. JULIA GFRÖER
13. KELLY THOMPSON
12. FAITH ERIN HICKS
11. LESLIE HUNG
10. CECIL CASTELLUCCI
9. MARLEY ZARCONE
8. MARIKO TAMAKI
7. JOE QUINONES
5. DOC SHANER
4. HOPE LARSON
3. RAMON VILLALOBOS
2. AL EWING
1. JAMES STOKOE

CTRL + F "Stjepan Sejic"

0 results. Hmmm

Maybe there are some collections or story arcs that are more economic and will suffice what's necessary to catch up the new comics?

I was trying to answer this with my post before. Spiderman vol 1 by Brian Bendis for Miles Morales spiderman, very simple jump on. Amazing Spiderman worldwide vol 1 by Dan Slott for jump on to Peter Parker. Calls more on past continuity but it's the cleanest recent break. There's only a few volumes of both at the moment, so if you like, it's easy from there. There's an even more accessable spiderman book starting soon but thats awhile out for your own purposes.

Kssio_Aug

I was trying to answer this with my post before. Spiderman vol 1 by Brian Bendis for Miles Morales spiderman, very simple jump on. Amazing Spiderman worldwide vol 1 by Dan Slott for jump on to Peter Parker. Calls more on past continuity but it's the cleanest recent break. There's only a few of both. There's an even more accessable spiderman book starting soon but thats awhile out for your own purposes.

I guess you mean those?
Spider-Man: Miles Morales Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 1

I was recommended to read: One More Day and Brand New Day as well. Maybe they're good to get the relevant past events?

I guess you mean those?
Spider-Man: Miles Morales Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 1

I was recommended to read: One More Day and Brand New Day as well. Maybe they're good to get the relevant past events?

Those are the ones, yea.

Those books are quite a ways back now, one more day and brand new day, nothing wrong with reading them or anything, but you'd have quite a lot to wade through afterwards if you wanted to catch up from there. The last major jump on before worldwide was probably Amazing Spiderman vol 1 the Parker luck I think the arc was called. Still Dan Slott, was started fresh after Superior Spiderman, and runs for 4 volumes including Spider verse, which was a quite well received event. After that Secret Wars happened, rebooted marvel's line and Worldwide began (and introduced Miles into the main Marvel universe, he existed in a separate what if type universe before hand)

Marvel Unlimited's probably the best route. It's worth it, it's a great run.

I bought the final trade to finish my collection recently because I wanted them physically
and make poor choices in life.

Marvel Unlimited's probably the best route. It's worth it, it's a great run.

I bought the final trade to finish my collection recently because I wanted them physically
and make poor choices in life.

Ahaha. Well for the sake of simplicity and helpfulness I refrained mentioning that I would do the exact same, I'm too stubborn and attached to physical trades at this point. MU is a great idea, but for me, I would probably settle in for the long haul and buy how ever many trades it took. I also make poor decisions :p

tim1138

15. RICH TOMMASO
14. JULIA GFRÖER
13. KELLY THOMPSON
12. FAITH ERIN HICKS
11. LESLIE HUNG
10. CECIL CASTELLUCCI
9. MARLEY ZARCONE
8. MARIKO TAMAKI
7. JOE QUINONES
5. DOC SHANER
4. HOPE LARSON
3. RAMON VILLALOBOS
2. AL EWING
1. JAMES STOKOE

Villalobos was having fun with that last week and over the weekend on Twitter

Making him bi probably be better but it's too late now

I don't it's too late. Being bisexual can be confusing. Coming out can be something you need to do over and over again. Given a writer who has insight into this, they could certainly reveal that he's bi at some point in time.

Both

Adult one revealed he was a closeted gay guy, tough with the reveal that O5 are from another universe that can be retcon.

This is the first I heard they were from a difference universe. Makes sense, I guess?

Hagi

Ahaha. Well for the sake of simplicity and helpfulness I refrained mentioning that I would do the exact same, I'm too stubborn and attached to physical trades at this point. MU is a great idea, but for me, I would probably settle in for the long haul and buy how ever many trades it took. I also make poor decisions :p

MU always seemed like a good idea to me but every time I got it I forgot I had it after a while and kept paying for it even though I wasn't using it. Least with trades they sit on my shelf judging me until I read them.

Kssio_Aug

Those are the ones, yea. Those books are quite a ways back now, nothing wrong with reading them or anything, but you'd have quite a lot to wade through afterwards if you wanted to catch up from there. The last major jump on before worldwide was probably Amazing Spiderman vol 1 the Parker luck I think the arc was called. Still Dan Slott was starts fresh after Superior Spiderman, and runs for 4 volumes including Spider verse, which was a quite well received event. After that Secret Wars happened, rebooted marvel's line and Worldwide began (and introduced Miles into the main Marvel universe, he existed in a separate what if type universe before hand)

Thanks! =)
I will keep that in mind, I think I'll start with Miles Morales!

By the way, out of curiosty. Are Marvel movies related to certain events, or they're [partially] independent from it? I ask, cause it seems to me Homecoming is an Peter Parker begin story, but at the same time quite distant from the original events (Uncle Ben and stuff).

Wanderer5

I read and ended up getting the first tradeback of the Miles Morales run. I digging it a lot, and the art is really good. I can already see that it does go quite slowly, but still good stuff, and well going by the trades, I don't think it would be that big of a deal, instead of waiting by the issues.

Anyway bout time I was giving Miles a round. A while back I had gotten a small lego set that was him vs Carnage, and I thought his suit look pretty cool.

Top Bottom