• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

I haven't played it before but it kind of reminds me of Guacamelee which I ADORED, so I'm really excited. You'll definitely have to pick this up.

Haha yea, there's a little metroidvania feel to it with the different traversal types. I remember what blew my mind is, at least if I remember correctly, The Dragon's Trap beginning with the ending of the game before right? And the mecha dragon shows up and curses you etc? It took me and my sister like a year to beat the one before because we were maybe 4 or 5 haha so that intro was just like WHAT. I loved the one after where you had blue hair too. And read the comic strip in Sonic The Comic....

....yea. I was a Sega kid.

VanWinkle

Haha yea, there's a little metroidvania feel to it with the different traversal types. I remember what blew my mind is, at least if I remember correctly, The Dragon's Trap beginning with the ending of the game before right? And the mecha dragon shows up and curses you etc? It took me and my sister like a year to beat the one before because we were maybe 4 or 5 haha so that intro was just like WHAT. I loved the one after where you had blue hair too. And read the comic strip in Sonic The Comic....

....yea. I was a Sega kid.

Hahaha nice. And you do remember correctly about The Dragon's Trap beginning. The game holds up super well for a 30 year old game. That is helped TREMENDOUSLY by the updated visuals, though (IMO).

Damn, that is a really clean-looking game.

And you can switch between the new version and the classic on the fly. From my review:

Wonder-Boy-Dragons-Trap-Compare-Shot-1a.jpg

Wonder-Boy-Dragons-Trap-Compare-Shot-1b.jpg

Wonder-Boy-Dragons-Trap-Compare-Shot-2a.jpg

Wonder-Boy-Dragons-Trap-Compare-Shot-2b.jpg

My man. Blast processing FTW.

I was actually struggling where to buy that game, but Van totally put me over on the switch version.

Gotta go fast!

And you can switch between the new version and the classic on the fly. From my review:

Dear lord, hold me. That second comparison especially. It adds a whole tone and world that was never there before. The artists with that dev team need to take a bow.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Adding my praise on to the heaps already here for The Button. That's a great way to start a crossover.

And hot damn, Wonder Boy looks fresh as hell.

Also, I know how y'all feel about them mangas, but Jojo's Bizarre Adventure lives up to its name. It's odd. Lots of human on dog violence. and the art's all over the place. From panel to panel Jojo will go from PeeWee Herman to Hulk and back.

The Button start was sooooo gooooood. Fabok is fantastic, and King's writing works so damn well with the 9 panel format. And the
countdown clock
was just wonderful.

shingi70

Banned
I have to pick up Wonderboy as soon as I'm done with Ori and Blaster Master Zero. Really hoping the switch has a sega system Virtual Console because they have a lot of interesting stuff I didn't play being a Nintendo kid.

A quick shot on some comics I've read so far today.

Cave Carson #7: This was a nice little semi interlude issue before the next arc starts. This was a perfectly written superman and the line Superman isn't my Name, its my challenge gets right down to the core of big blue. Beyond that we got to see Cave come to term with the shit he's been bottling up. Loved the Bane's coloring Corner back up strip.

Batman #21: This is a great start to the crossover story and Fabok killed it on art. I would tired of King using the same nine panel grid storytelling mechanic in yet another book but it works here.

Aquaman #20
: Game Over man, Game Over. It's Alien/Aliens with Superheroes. Deadwater is thematically very close to the Trench but the one on one setting and it's power set being using water as a portal makes for a very tense issue. Really takes Aquaman and hi supporting cast out of their element making their greatest strength a gapping weakness.

Green arrow #20: Ollie is just as dick as he was in the original snowbirds don't fly story.

Harbinger Renegade #1: I haven't read Imperium so i'm probably missing a bit of context for what's been happening to the Pisots since the end of Harbinger. Everyone knows and is fucking shit up to get powers. Good first issue, i'm curious to Peter's current power levels and wonder if he could take XO or Divinty in a fight.

ElNarez

Banned
The Button start was sooooo gooooood. Fabok is fantastic, and King's writing works so damn well with the 9 panel format. And the
countdown clock
was just wonderful.

Did I just realize how brilliant it is that the issue is about watching
a clock tick down to zero?
Yup. Yup I just did.

Malyse

So in Black Panther World of Wakanda #6,
when a criminal found out Black Panther might end up coming after his ass, he immediately surrendered, dimed out his partner, and offered to take said partner down. While crying.

caliph95

So in Black Panther World of Wakanda #6,
when a criminal found out Black Panther might end up coming after his ass, he immediately surrendered, dimed out his partner, and offered to take said partner down. While crying.
Lol that was the best, i mean
it's black panther,
i would start begging if i know he is on my ass

mreddie

USAvengers: What a shock, someone is HYDRA

TAHulk: Yep, good arc, Asrar art was good but Chi barely did anything at the end. Sadly dropping it again with the Weapon X Crossover.

Royals: Slick as fuck.

shingi70

Banned
Did something happen to Jonboy Meyer's? His art on Royals doesn't seem as good or Clean as that first issue of Teen Titans he did. Seem'd he's aping Joe Mad a lot on royals.

shingi70

Banned
Is Power Man and Iron Fist done as well?

also guys i think i need help. Fell into a Valiant comics hole. Reading alot of thier stuff and watching their Vanuished web series on youtube,

rinker

What's the deal with these limited run store exclusive variants? Are they "official", or is this something that these stores commission and produce on their own? In general, how are they viewed in terms of 'collectability'?

Like these:

caliph95

I doubt the book lasts long enough to do that. An all black team book, especially one focusing on these types of issues will never last.
Come on i'm sure milestone comics has ...........
Well there was the original crew *cancelled before the final isses were released*
Uhm that Mighty Avengers was mostly black and it did...........

What's the deal with these limited run store exclusive variants? Are they "official", or is this something that these stores commission and produce on their own? In general, how are they viewed in terms of 'collectability'?

Like these:

It depends, sometimes they are commissioned by the store, sometimes the publisher offers them as incentives

Not sure about value

Sandfox

Come on i'm sure milestone comics has ...........
Well there was the original crew *cancelled before the final isses were released*
Uhm that Mighty Avengers was mostly black and it did...........
They had to put Spider-Man in that Mighty Avengers book to get people to check it out.

shingi70

Banned
Is Spider-Man more interesting in a team book or in a solo book?

Any Spider-Man.

Solo book, he adds flavor to a team book, but he shines when its just him, his baddies, and his supporting cast.

Reading Green Arrow I think I like Ollie on his own compared to being apart of the Justice League.

Top Bottom