• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Even if there isn't, it's basically what's being done.

I read a few interviews where writers or editorial danced around it, but it's clear by now that's what Secret Wars was.

How do we clean up continuity without ending up in an endless cycle of Reboot and Reversing said reboots?

We have star lord rewritten to match his MCU counterpart as the most obvious, but the ANXM continuity issue was fixed, Spiderman had his origin bumped up to somewhere in the cellphone era, There's been a housecleaning of the cosmic tier, Mjolnir's Origin was completely redone, and a few other things.

The Universe 8 thing has allowed them to do all sorts of things using "well, that was the old universe" as an excuse while still keeping events and story lines fans like technically within canon.

The Fantastic Four are inconvenient :(

Truly we live in sad times.

Fantastic Four didn't really go anywhere. Human Torch and Ben Grimm were central to the Inhumans books, Uncanny Avengers and GOTG, respectively and Doom has his own book that's actually pretty good...which has a healthy dose of Ben Grimm in it.

Reed, Sue, and Franklin are off in hiatus but that doesn't mean Marvel hates the FF. Jean, Scott, Logan and Professor X have all been dead for quite some time but the "X-men" are still relevant.

mreddie

The only reason X-Men are getting repushed is because they got the TV rights now.

However, they do have shit teams sans Blu and Grey-Iceman

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The only reason X-Men are getting repushed is because they got the TV rights now.

X-Men had always a lot of books.
Do you think Marvel publishes 10+ books and hopes they dont succeede or pair them with shitty artists because they dont like money?

Also, Fox has the TV rights.

shingi70

Banned
I read a few interviews where writers or editorial danced around it, but it's clear by now that's what Secret Wars was.

How do we clean up continuity without ending up in an endless cycle of Reboot and Reversing said reboots?

We have star lord rewritten to match his MCU counterpart as the most obvious, but the ANXM continuity issue was fixed, Spiderman had his origin bumped up to somewhere in the cellphone era, There's been a housecleaning of the cosmic tier, Mjolnir's Origin was completely redone, and a few other things.

The Universe 8 thing has allowed them to do all sorts of things using "well, that was the old universe" as an excuse while still keeping events and story lines fans like technically within canon.

Fantastic Four didn't really go anywhere. Human Torch and Ben Grimm were central to the Inhumans books, Uncanny Avengers and GOTG, respectively and Doom has his own book that's actually pretty good...which has a healthy dose of Ben Grimm in it.

Reed, Sue, and Franklin are off in hiatus but that doesn't mean Marvel hates the FF. Jean, Scott, Logan and Professor X have all been dead for quite some time but the "X-men" are still relevant.

Without all of them together it's not the fantastic Four.

mreddie

Do you think Marvel publishes 10+ books and hopes they dont succeede or pair them with shitty artists because they dont like money?

Co owners.

Also, then how come this time last year, we only had 3-5 X Men books? Where before Wars, Cyke had a book, Storm had one, there was 4-5 X Men team books alone?

Exactly. The Xbooks are getting a big relaunch, but that has less to do with TV rights (which Fox has, as you point out) than it does the realization that Inhumans as a fourth pillar (Avengers, Spider Books, Xbooks being the other 3) flat out wasn't working.

The whole green murder cloud putting the mutant and inhuman races at odds didn't make inhumans more compelling, it just made the Xbooks worse. IvX was a hastily thrown together "event" designed to undo that storyline, right at the same time the Inhuman motion picture was canned, removed from the MCU and downgraded into the same TV continuity purgatory that Agents of Shield is in.

The Xbooks haven't lit the charts up in a while but they HAVE been consistent sellers- and Blue and Gold seem to go out of their way to tell fans "we're going back to what made X-men popular when you were a kid."

Meanwhile, none of the relaunched Inhuman books even have the word "inhuman" anywhere to be found in the title. It's clear where Marvel's priorities are post IvX.

Without all of them together it's not the fantastic Four.

So all those times "fantastic four" ran with a lineup that didn't have all four original members in the team just "don't count?"

Because that happened a LOT.

5 books are quiet a few IMO.

Yep. Uncanny X-men, All New X-men, Old Man Logan, All New Wolverine, Extraordinary X-men, and Uncanny Avengers all running at the same time is more than enough...and stuff like the "Cyclops" series was never going to run for very long no matter what Marvel said.

I'm interested in this. Is there a way to know what artists draw digitally vs physical? I'd love to even see video of people drawing digitally-it's so foreign to me.

What part of it are you interested in?

It used to be clear who was digital and who wasn't but digital has really come a long way and a lot of really good tools have come out that emulate traditional tools well so sometimes its not totally obvious who is digital. However, artists will often put out in progress shots of panels or pages on their social media accounts so you might be able to check them out and see the process from some artists you like.

As for a video, I couldn't think of any specifically off the top of my head but here is a Fiona Staples video in real time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Since Secret Wars ended, there had been 16 X-Men/Mutant focused books. Doesnt include the upcoming solobooks, but Stuff like Deadpool and Deadpool/Spider-Man
Other lines:

Spider-People:14
Avengers:10 (Not including Captain America but stuff like Ultimates or A-Force and SHIELD)
Inhumans:6

May have miscounted one or two times since I did this lazy on my phone, but I think X-Men fans have little to complain when it comes to the number of books.
I get that X-Men fans have reasom to complain, but lets not be silly.
Or is Scarlet Witch now a Inhuman or something?

Fury451

Banned

When will this conspiracy that Marvel is trying to destroy the X-Men over movie rights die?

They've had plenty of ongoing books or short series, and even if some have stagnated or canceled, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Now the actual consistent quality of them is debatable

Since Secret Wars ended, there had been 16 X-Men/Mutant focused books. Doesnt include the upcoming solobooks
Other lines:

Spider-People:14
Avengers:8 (Not including Captain America but stuff like Ultimates or A-Force
Inhumans:6

May have miscounted one or two times since I did this on my phone, but I think X-Men fans have little to complain when it comes to the number of books.

I don't think that was ever our complaint lmfao

shingi70

Banned
So all those times "fantastic four" ran with a lineup that didn't have all four original members in the team just "don't count?"

Because that happened a LOT.

Yep. Uncanny X-men, All New X-men, Old Man Logan, All New Wolverine, Extraordinary X-men, and Uncanny Avengers all running at the same time is more than enough...and stuff like the "Cyclops" series was never going to run for very long no matter what Marvel said.

Those do count but the very essence and heart of the FF is Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben.

Those do count but the very essence and heart of the FF is Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben.

You might as well throw Doom in there with them, he's as central to the FF as Magneto is to the X-men.

Of those five, three are heavily integrated into the MU, far more so than when FF as a book was an ongoing title, and one has a solo book which has NEVER happened. Doom is joining Avengers shortly as well iirc.

There's not really much merit to the argument that marvel considers the FF irrelevant here.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think thats their way fighting back Ike. Remmeber how he teared down the Fantastic Four poster of an office employee?

WTF
CLOAK & DAGGER LOOKS AMAZING
I dont dare to look into the thread for reactions. But I liked the drama. The superhero stuff looks a bit eh. But I am fine with that.

shingi70

Banned
I think thats their way fighting back Ike. Remmeber how he teared down the Fantastic Four poster of an office employee?

I dont dare to look into the thread for reactions. But I liked the drama. The superhero stuff looks a bit eh. But I am fine with that.

Assuming all this is from the pilot, so the superhero stuff is light as expected.

Dalek

What part of it are you interested in?

It used to be clear who was digital and who wasn't but digital has really come a long way and a lot of really good tools have come out that emulate traditional tools well so sometimes its not totally obvious who is digital. However, artists will often put out in progress shots of panels or pages on their social media accounts so you might be able to check them out and see the process from some artists you like.

As for a video, I couldn't think of any specifically off the top of my head but here is a Fiona Staples video in real time.

Thanks-I liked this. I just like seeing how comic artists work. That channel has some good videos.

Zombine

Banned
Woah, Redneck #1 was pretty damn good. Cates gets an A+ for legit nailing the accent.

In American Vampire's absence this is an incredible breath of fresh air for me.

1) It's really annoying that I have to use the CMX website to buy Sex Criminals and can't just do it in the app.

2) How do you guys sort your books in the CMX app? I have it organized by purchase date, but now the list is really really really long and I am looking for something simpler.

I read through Arclight this evening by Brandon Graham and Marian Churchland. The actual plot itself was fairly simple; a lady, who has been inadvertently trapped in the body of some sort of strange wraith like creature, and her sworn knight go on a journey to find the being that was swapped into her body and unravel it's plan. By the end, everything is explained and resolved to a point but the strength of the book is really in the delivery of the story and themes via a pretty restrained script and it's resolve to leave itself up for interpretion.

Visually, the book is really gorgeous, with some beautiful fantasy landscapes, cut with darker scenes that evoke cosmic horror. The world building is very unique and gives the art alot to work with: armor and ships grown from bone, spells cast written in a fictional language with blood (language key included no less) and all sorts of other odd details, and it added alot to the flavour of the book.

A cool weird little story that is quite thoughtful and very beautiful. I probably liked Mirror more, it's hard not to compare the two reading them in close proximity and being tied to each other in tangential ways, but that doesn't take away from Arclight.

Marian Churchland did the art way back for a really good arc of Elephantmen. She has a very soft art style.

Yea, the book on a base level is really just a playground for her visually, and she does have a interesting style, it makes for a lot of sparse but striking panels that kind of linger if that makes sense. I think she uses colouring pencils on her art by hand then colours digitally on top to come up with that soft not-quite-watercolor thing. There's some really cool architecture and fashion design, and even gender stuff she does, I didn't want to bang on too much, but she's great.

1) It's really annoying that I have to use the CMX website to buy Sex Criminals and can't just do it in the app.

2) How do you guys sort your books in the CMX app? I have it organized by purchase date, but now the list is really really really long and I am looking for something simpler.
By series of course.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Alphabetically

I use the smart lists most of the time though.

VanWinkle

Daang. Wonder Boy on Switch looks INCREDIBLE. One of the nicest looking 2D games I've ever played!

nEwpZO.jpg

Top Bottom