• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

c93flqmxyaa1o110pj15.jpg

For about twenty minutes this DC thing has been a whole lot of nothing ha

"We are artists who love our writers and our colourists and our fathers :/"

Refocusing on creator names to sell new characters and concepts is great, and if it needs to be superstars first to re-educate the consumer to make way for that rule of thumb for everyone else, okay. Less banners and tag lines though lol

You would think with rich being back you would have an appearance from her

Rich has a romantic subplot with Gamora (with its origins in annihilation) that the team is exploring instead.

Had the book been a success (or New Warriors v.5 for that matter) someone would have explored that plot but as it is these characters are cursed.

8bit

Knows the Score
None of the Dark Matter stuff sounds particularly interesting, most of DC's output seems to be by those guys anyway.

Huh so the DC master class is creator titles with only the best artists, which is by the end of the year going to expand to 20 artists

So DC apparently has 20 of the best artists in comics, hmmmm yeah okay sure :?

tim1138

Huh so the DC master class is creator titles with only the best artists, which is by the end of the year going to expand to 20 artists

So DC apparently has 20 of the best artists in comics, hmmmm yeah okay sure :?

They're probably hammering out new exclusive deals with folks as we speak

DiDio said that Image and Marvel are not DC's competition - "Ultimately, I consider the competition to be TV, films, and video games, cause they're telling better stories than us."

He's right. It's also way harder to sell a comic than a game or movie.

Dusknoir

DC doing a new imprint? Wow, they must be rolling in money to make this many of them in 2 years. Can't wait to see the art in these books.

Those sound pretty interesting, and they got Rocafort back. It's a shame Snyder is writing the Challengers of the Unknown reboot though

Ouch, I missed that part haha at least you'll have a few more anecdote openers for parties man.

Shows where we're at when at when their big announcement is something that really should be naturally the case and it's a win because it's at least not actively against it. That quote about their real comp being TV, movies and video games is ridiculous though, particularly video games. If DC feel like video games are out classing them, they have very low self esteem, and if they're looking past the best publishers in terms of exciting creator output towards TV, well, sure. JRJR got your back I guess.

Without the hyperbole though I do think it's a start and a better first step than none at all.

shingi70

Banned
Ouch, I missed that part haha at least you'll have a few more anecdote openers for parties man.

Shows where we're at when at when their big announcement is something that really should be naturally the case and it's a win because it's at least not actively against it. That quote about their real comp being TV, movies and video games is ridiculous though, particularly video games. If DC feel like video games are out classing them, they have very low self esteem, and if they're looking past the best publishers in terms of exciting creator output towards TV, well, sure. JRJR got your back I guess.

I don't think it's low self esteem but more the new reality of the market. More people these days probably have Arrow or Arkham Cityas Defentive stories compared to say Hush or Longbow hunters

DC doing a new imprint? Wow, they must be rolling in money to make this many of them in 2 years. Can't wait to see the art in these books.

Its a small difference but this isn't a new imprint like Young Animal. Its a new branding to get attention to the initiative.

Imprint = separate world and continuity

Brand = Part of the 'main' DCU. Something like the Nu52 or Rebirth.

Oh cool, Paul Tobin has an ongoing at Oni that got announced, quite liked his witcher books and apparently Colder was good too? It's a pulpy monster book features a descendent of Frankenstein. "Made Men"

Might check this out

shingi70

Banned
I feel like that is a relationship going more one way than the other. It's like they're just having fun with it and none of the DC books would actually acknowledge it really, but Young Animal is free to play with the DC all they want.

They acknowledge them. The last Arc of Green Arrow had a Wild Dog gang that were inspired by Wild Dog and took his look to go around killing liberals and minorites.

Batman and Batwoman have appeared in Mother Panic, and Superman and the Metal Men have appeared in Cave Carson.

They acknowledge them. The last Arc of Green Arrow had a Wild Dog gang that were inspired by Wild Dog and took his look to go around killing liberals and minorites.

Batman and Batwoman have appeared in Mother Panic, and Superman and the Metal Men have appeared in Cave Carson.

Yeah, but Wild Dog was already a DC character and was just in the Arrow show. I mean more I doubt the main line books will ever really have much to do with Mother Panic or Shade in the books, but YA is probably free to do whatever, like those ones you mentioned.

Messi

Oh cool, Paul Tobin has an ongoing at Oni that got announced, quite liked his witcher books and apparently Colder was good too? It's a pulpy monster book features a descendent of Frankenstein. "Made Men"

Might check this out

This is where you tell us you haven't read Bandette.

Yeah, but Wild Dog was already a DC character and was just in the Arrow show. I mean more I doubt the main line books will ever really have much to do with Mother Panic or Shade in the books, but YA is probably free to do whatever, like those ones you mentioned.

Oh yeah, this is my sense of things as well. I'm not expecting Mother Panic to pop up in Batman. She is in the DCU so Batwoman can pop up in her book, not the other way around

But technically! If you were listing all of the vigilantes operating in DCU Gotham, you would have to list her, so she still counts

Top Bottom