• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the line exactly before my reply to yours :p

Ha, that didn't click with me.

The more heroic versions of the character tend to be my favourite, but Ennis' tale is just so well told, it really is the pinnacle of Punisher stories and crime fiction in general.

Actually, the version we see now is pretty close to some of the 90s iterations of Frank if I'm remembering right.

Messi

Man, I hate that shit. Daredevil is the worst. He fucks Elektra, Black Widow, Typhoid Mary (I think?), all murderous people, but when Frank comes along, it's all "OH YOU'RE A MURDERER CATHOLIC GUILT I MUST STOP YOU!"

Fuck you, Murdoch.

To Spidey's credit, in Rucka's run, he convinced the Avengers to take Frank down and then Frank made them all his bitch.

That's because Murdoch is a prick

Hagi

I always thinks it completly unbelivable, when writer let guys like Spider-Man have Team Ups with Castle. The guy is a fucking mass murderer who should be thrown into the Raft.

Beside that, Ennis Welcome Back Frank was quite amazing.

Wolverine gets to team up with everybody, shit he's in the new Ms Marvel lol Let Frank have some of that limelight.

I love that he has a somewhat healthy relationship with Matt to the point where he actually gets himself incarcerated to help him. One of my favourite parts of that phenomenal Daredevil run.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I hate that shit. Daredevil is the worst. He fucks Elektra, Black Widow, Typhoid Mary (I think?), all murderous people, but when Frank comes along, it's all "OH YOU'RE A MURDERER CATHOLIC GUILT I MUST STOP YOU!"

Fuck you, Murdoch.

I loved the issue in Welcome Back, Frank with Daredevil though. The way that Frank made Daredevil torture himself with the decision
to kill Frank or let Frank kill the mobster (IIRC)
was very entertaining.

Tizoc

If Punisher was let loose in Gotham he would clear up those streets in no time.

Yeah uh that's what Red Hood tried to do, remember what that led to?

Fuck you, Murdoch.
Jigga you just mad Matt's got dat mojo.

Don't forget that Logan was a murder too and he's well regarded in the super hero community.

To Spidey's credit, in Rucka's run, he convinced the Avengers to take Frank down and then Frank made them all his bitch.

Man this'd sound like Punisher fanboyism had I known any better. The only reason Frank takes down other heroes is because the author wrote it like that. Any other day, he'd be taken down hard.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Where do you guys go, when you want to check the content of Tradepaperbacks?
And in which Paperbacks certain Issues are collected? I am searching a long time for a website that helps me giving a overview about this, Amazon is not always reliable.

Fuck you, Murdoch.

Where can I read this? Sounds interesting, even when its sounds like Frank is very overpowered, alone the thought is ridiciolus, that he could take out Thor...

If Punisher was let loose in Gotham he would clear up those streets in no time.
Isnt there even a Batman/Punisher Crossover? :D

Wolverine gets to team up with everybody, shit he's in the new Ms Marvel lol Let Frank have some of that limelight.

I love that he has a somewhat healthy relationship with Matt to the point where he actually gets himself incarcerated to help him. One of my favourite parts of that phenomenal Daredevil run.

Yeah, thats kinda right of course... But wasnt there even a time, when Wolverine at least tried to keep secret, that he kills so many people?

Fuck you, Murdoch.

I'm quoting myself cause truth

Tizoc

I'm quoting myself cause truth

I'm quoting this cause it sounds more like jealousy and Punisher fanboyism :V

Isnt there even a Batman/Punisher Crossover? :D

There was a JL/Avengers crossover where the JL go the Marvel U. to find a mcaguffin or whatevs to save their universe. Bats and Plasticman arrive at a location where nearby Punisher is killing some goons.
Bats intervenes, and takes down Punisher off-panel

Actually, when DD and Frank have a friendly/complex/antagonistic relationship, that's fascinating, but very rarely done cause Murdoch is a prick. I think it would come down to, whereas Murdoch is trying to redeem Elektra and Black Widow with his penis, he tries to do so with Frank by pummeling and guilting him.

Douche. I actually think if they had a good relationship, it'd be fascinating.

Jigga you just mad Matt's got dat mojo.

Don't forget that Logan was a murder too and he's well regarded in the super hero community.

Frank's got mojo, he's just too busy actually stopping crime, instead of being crime's whipping boy.

Man this'd sound like Punisher fanboyism had I known any better. The only reason Frank takes down other heroes is because the author wrote it like that. Any other day, he'd be taken down hard.

That's the same for all characters, really. But I always love seeing Frank take down other heroes and remind them that they're lucky he only targets villains. That's why it always ticks me off that Frank can't go after supervillains cause really... he would kill them permanently.

Edmondson described Frank as the Reed Richards of tactics.

Where can I read this? Sounds interesting, even when its sounds like Frank is very overpowered, alone the thought is ridiciolus, that he could take out Thor...

It doesn't quite work out how you think cause it's really Frank being smart about it and exploiting the Avengers' weaknesses, not taking them directly head on. There's a great goal beyond kicking their asses.

Though Frank and Thor have a fantastic scene where they discuss the wreckage that is his life over beers.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Where do you guys go, when you want to check the content of Tradepaperbacks?
And in which Paperbacks certain Issues are collected? I am searching a long time for a website that helps me giving a overview about this, Amazon is not always reliable.

Instocktrades is usually pretty good at showing what issues a collection contains.
If IST doesn't show the contents, I'll go to Amazon and, if the description doesn't have the contents and there's no "Look Inside" feature to be able to see the actual table of contents, I'll read the reviews to see if some kind soul has listed the contents.
If all that fails, I do a quick google search and try my luck.

I have no idea but whatever happened it can be explained by this simple fact:

Jason Todd ain't shit and should've been left dead with a crowbar in his brain

tumblr_inline_n61kxl0Phd1rvwexb.gif

If it was Frank instead of Batman, Gotham would be a safe city.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There was a JL/Avengers crossover where the JL go the Marvel U. to find a mcaguffin or whatevs to save their universe. Bats and Plasticman arrive at a location where nearby Punisher is killing some goons.
Bats intervenes, and takes down Punisher off-panel
So the JLA goes on Earth 616? Damn, that makes me want to read the series even more. What a shit that the Trade is so insanely expensive :(

Instocktrades is usually pretty good at showing what issues a collection contains.
If IST doesn't show the contents, I'll go to Amazon and, if the description doesn't have the contents and there's no "Look Inside" feature to be able to see the actual table of contents, I'll read the reviews to see if some kind soul has listed the contents.
If all that fails, I do a quick google search and try my luck.

Thanks - But is there a Website where I can, for example, search for New Avengers Vol.2 Annual 1 and see, where it collected in?

IST has on my first look also a lot of stuff Ive never saw in a european shop - I think I will make some orders in the next time from there^^

Honestly, Rucka's run was so goddamn short. Like Remender's, it was cut down too short, but at least they managed to wrap the story up really well.

Beautiful art. Great story. Had a very bitter, melancholic tone about it.

Big Boss Punisher was such a baller.

Actually, when you think about it, Greg Rucka's Punisher is most similar in tone to Punisher: Year One from the 90s:

It's tonally very similar, has some similar structure, and the characterization is very much the same.

Hell, Greg Rucka's Frank could simply be a sequel to Year One. It's... Year Ten. Year Fifteen.

Just completed The Painting That Ate Paris for a second time. Such a brilliant arc. And now into Crazy Jane's mind we go.

In other news, I have had to buy a new shelf to accommodate all the comics I have picked up in the last couple of months. -_-

Hagi

Yeah, thats kinda right of course... But wasnt there even a time, when Wolverine at least tried to keep secret, that he kills so many people?

I suppose maybe during the first Civil War lol

Does Logan even have a tie in to Original Sin? surely everyone knows the fucked up shit he has done they just don't give a shit at this point. I mean they left him in charge of a school..

Actually, when DD and Frank have a friendly/complex/antagonistic relationship, that's fascinating, but very rarely done cause Murdoch is a prick. I think it would come down to, whereas Murdoch is trying to redeem Elektra and Black Widow with his penis, he tries to do so with Frank by pummeling and guilting him.

Isn't Matt his lawyer? lol

I can't hate on Matty he's one of the best written heroes Marvel has. Even during the depressing as fuck Bendis and Brubaker runs i was rooting for him all the way. What you say though is why i cringe every time Logan and Scott share a scene together so i can see where you are coming from.

Isn't Matt his lawyer? lol

I can't hate on Matty he's one of the best written heroes Marvel has. Even during the depressing as fuck Bendis and Brubaker runs i was rooting for him all the way. What you say though is why i cringe every time Logan and Scott share a scene together so i can see where you are coming from.

Ha, I remember him being his lawyer in the PS2 game, but I don't remember any other time he was Frank's lawyer, but my memory's probably just spotty.

I have the first two Waid DD HC volumes sitting on my shelf, I really need to get to reading them. I've read a bit, and this version of DD seems fun and not douchey, but when it comes to Frank, Matt is such a prick.

Zombine

Banned
The blurb from Image describes it as Buffy the Vampire Slayer x Hellboy. #1 comes out Wednesday, so we'll see.

There was another book that just came out which was described as Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a "new generation."

Come on guys, get creative. This is the new "it's going to be darker...like The Dark Knight."

Tizoc

tumblr_inline_n61kxl0Phd1rvwexb.gif

If it was Frank instead of Batman, Gotham would be a safe city.

No it wouldn't :V

So the JLA goes on Earth 616? Damn, that makes me want to read the series even more. What a shit that the Trade is so insanely expensive :(

Hmm have you checked InStockTrades?
The book also featured Cap vs. Batman which
ended in a tie! Actually they never actually fought if IIRC, BUT Cap is so counter prep time that not even Bats can outsmart him!

I have no idea but whatever happened it can be explained by this simple fact:

Jason Todd ain't shit and should've been left dead with a crowbar in his brain

That's the uninspired and lazy way out, any character, ANY CHARACTER can be written well and have a good story if the effort is put in.
...and just for you, let me give you the answer to why Punisher being in Gotham would still not fix it; he goes against this sick fucker
Batman+and+Robin+6+cover.jpg

Hey man Matt can't help his good looks, da ladies do whatevs for that prince.
...but Matt's attitude towards Frank is summed up with what he told Carol during the 3 issue crossover
Cole: "You know what gives me the strength? The loss. We're alike that way, I imagine. Admit it: nobody's who a stranger to that particular pain could ever be as driven as us."
Daredevil: "Never - don't you ever say that to me ever again. That is a repellent statement. It's a vomitous insult to every cop - every fireman - every soldier alive who steps up to fight for those who can't! I am sorry for your loss! But if you genuinely believe that only the death of a loved one can motivate a human being to take up a cause... then get your pathetic, cynical ass out of my way so I can do my job!"

Frank's got mojo, he's just too busy actually stopping crime, instead of being crime's whipping boy.
Oh sure like Daredevil and the other heroes don't stop crime, now you're really starting to sound like a Punisher fanboy :p

That's the same for all characters, really. But I always love seeing Frank take down other heroes and remind them that they're lucky he only targets villains. That's why it always ticks me off that Frank can't go after supervillains cause really... he would kill them permanently.
Eh that last thing applies to your first setence too.
The heroes don't need to be reminded that they're 'lucky', that's some lame lazy ass BS.
The writers will dumb down the heroes just to give Punisher the advantage he'd lack.
If a writer was smart he'd make Frank's advesary counter him with military-like tactics and go for outsmarting him.

It doesn't quite work out how you think cause it's really Frank being smart about it and exploiting the Avengers' weaknesses, not taking them directly head on. There's a great goal beyond kicking their asses.

Which sounds to me like a trouble child doing their level best so that the other kids leave him alone.

Sorry mate you're going into blind Punisher fanboyism here, I enjoy a good Punisher book but as a character? No matter how much characterization an author would give him, the next author would drop that.

As a character? Punisher/Frank isn't a good one, but as a 'drive' or a character whose actions affect others, yeah that can work, which reminds me of this gem from Ennis' run, showing how much of a broken and sad character Frank is. I don't remember the exact quote but it involved Frank somewhat envying policeman and those who do their jobs by the book, because he can't.

Another thing I wish authors would fucking wise up and do is stop comparing him to the other superheroes. It's shallow and uninspired, and can degrade those characters, simply because it doesn't look past that they are seen as 'super heroes' when they have lives, friends, family and wonderful characterization of their own.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I really hope I didn't make a mistake buying Hack/Slash. I mean, it can't be bad, right?

I don't care about the horror genre in any way, but I remember Hack/Slash being really fun and solid.

Seriously while I'm reading Final Crisis, I get on Amazon and look for Darkseid statues or figures. I'm a fan!

That book looks cool and I have been wanting to try some Legion, I shall get it in a few weeks.

All heil Darkseid. Darkseid is life.

It's gonna suck when DC's dumbass finally gets Darkseid on screen and the masses think he's a Thanos rip off.

Thanos wishes he could relax in a couch or chair as bad ass as Darkseid. Darkseid>>>>>>>>Thanos.

Bringing back the worst Robin of all time, of ALL TIME, was such a bad idea. Not a Jason Todd fan at all.

The writers will dumb down the heroes just to give Punisher the advantage he'd lack.
If a writer was smart he'd make Frank's advesary counter him with military-like tactics and go for outsmarting him.

Sorry mate you're going into blind Punisher fanboyism here, I enjoy a good Punisher book but as a character? No matter how much characterization an author would give him, the next author would drop that.

As a character? Punisher/Frank isn't a good one, but as a 'drive' or a character whose actions affect others, yeah that can work, which reminds me of this gem from Ennis' run, showing how much of a broken and sad character Frank is. I don't remember the exact quote but it involved Frank somewhat envying policeman and those who do their jobs by the book, because he can't.

The thing about castle and superheroes is that neither side ever wants to fight. Most heroes prefer to ignore castle, and castle prefers to ignore most heroes, which is why these conflicts tend to go towards "flashbang and get the fuck out". Plus castle is made of meat, so they gotta take it easy on him anyway. It is why pete had to whine and lie to get the avengers to chase frank (plus ive no prob seeing castle handling natasha or clint, but that's just me).

As for military tactics, writers try that all the time to spice things up. Thing is, you're using military tactics against a guy that uses military tactics for 40+ years nearly every single day. Results should be obvious.

Closest he gets is telling a cop to not shoot him so he doesn't become like him. Best thing about the Ennis run, as far as punisher character development goes, was Barracuda, which was the happy mercenary take on castle.

Tizoc

Double post sorry.

The thing about castle and superheroes is that neither side ever wants to fight. Most heroes prefer to ignore castle, and castle prefers to ignore most heroes, which is why these conflicts tend to go towards "flashbang and get the fuck out". Plus castle is made of meat, so they gotta take it easy on him anyway. It is why pete had to whine and lie to get the avengers to chase frank (plus ive no prob seeing castle handling natasha or clint, but that's just me).
Good points, but know who else is made of meat? Batman, doesn't stop him from taking done aliens with matches.

As for military tactics, writers try that all the time to spice things up. Thing is, you're using military tactics against a guy that uses military tactics for 40+ years nearly every single day. Results should be obvious.
So why not have him go against a guy that uses military tactics for 40+ years too? :p
Bonus points for the opposition defeating frank

Closest he gets is telling a cop to not shoot him so he doesn't become like him. Best thing about the Ennis run, as far as punisher character development goes, was Barracuda, which was the happy mercenary take on castle.

Man Barracuda was kickass, which is funny because he was more likable than Castle haha.

That's the uninspired and lazy way out, any character, ANY CHARACTER can be written well and have a good story if the effort is put in.
...and just for you, let me give you the answer to why Punisher being in Gotham would still not fix it; he goes against this sick fucker
Batman+and+Robin+6+cover.jpg
Yeah, I guess your right. Frank would surely fall before the might of the dreaded Potato Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom