• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can some of you guys help me out. I want to start getting into comics and have already decided to start reading ultimate spiderman. But I also want to read either Avengers comics or X-men comics but cant decide. If you guys could suggest a jumping on point for either of these would be great.
Joss whedons astonishing Xmen. It's not only one of the best recent runs but also a great jump on point.

the_walking_dead_comic_set_3_2.jpg

Andrea & Rick first, Dwight and Punk Zombie will be next week.

Punk Zombie, while cool looking, is a waste of fucking space. They have yet to make Tyreese or Abraham, and have already skipped to characters in the current arc.

hmm sort of want that zombie to hang out on my work desk

The GOAT of terrible action figures:

WTF

tim1138

To follow up on my last post, don't think of the Fourth World as a physical place because it's not. It represents an era, the time of the New Gods. The Fifth World was to be the age of gods as man, hence
Darkseid being in Dan Turpin's body, Shilo Norman being the new Mr Miracle, the Super Young Team as the Forever People, etc.

GrandHarrier said:
I think this is the part where I need to convince Korupt to get Great Darkness Saga.

It's a shame
the cover of the edition spoils the big reveal

Messi

Do any of you folks who go to cons ever see people selling the first volume of Paul Dini's Zatanna. It's oop and I'd like to own it. But not for silly money. What's annoying is that the second volume is still in print.

Wow that cover is pretty bad. DC should want people to go in cold

Sure. But how do you sell people on a 30 year old event without telling them what it is about?

Edit: I'd be in for the LOSH cold turkey. But Korupt is on a New Gods kick at the moment, so that is the angle he'd approach it from.

Seriously while I'm reading Final Crisis, I get on Amazon and look for Darkseid statues or figures. I'm a fan!

That book looks cool and I have been wanting to try some Legion, I shall get it in a few weeks.

So can some of you guys help me out. I want to start getting into comics and have already decided to start reading ultimate spiderman. But I also want to read either Avengers comics or X-men comics but cant decide. If you guys could suggest a jumping on point for either of these would be great.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender is amazing. It also leads directly into Uncanny Avengers so it's the best of both worlds!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So what would you guys say are the top three-ish best New Gods stories? Now you've got me craving some New Gods stuff as well. I'd most like to read the Fourth World omnibuses, but DC needs to get around to reprinting those first.

Early 80s Legion is cool, but once they rebooted them sans the Superman connection, meh...lost a lot of appeal and purpose to me. A string of relaunches and reboots with various middling levels of success, even that try-hard 9-panel grid post-Watchmen thing Giffen did.

Man that cover kicks ass.

Yeah it does. It's the bodies filtering through his hand that does it for me.

Early 80s Legion is cool, but once they rebooted them sans the Superman connection, meh...lost a lot of appeal and purpose to me. A string of relaunches and reboots with various middling levels of success, even that try-hard 9-panel grid post-Watchmen thing Giffen did.

Yo, I like Waids' Legion. It went for something interesting that resonated with me as a nice alternate.

Am I a bad person for not caring about cosmic stories?

Yeah. Pretty much.

So what would you guys say are the top three-ish best New Gods stories? Now you've got me craving some New Gods stuff as well. I'd most like to read the Fourth World omnibuses, but DC needs to get around to reprinting those first.

Walt dimensions Orion
Death of the new gods by Jim starlin(prelude to final crisis)

Supermans pal jimmy olsen

mark Waid and DnA runs brah

frye

The first twelve issues of Waid/Kitson are legit and really the only time I've been able to stomach Legion. Even the DnA stuff I couldn't get into, tho Coipel was doing some cool stuff back then.

Walt dimensions Orion
Death of the new gods by Jim starlin(prelude to final crisis)

mark Waid and DnA runs brah

I think this is the first time I've seen someone talk about DotNG positively.

The first twelve issues of Waid/Kitson are legit and really the only time I've been able to stomach Legion. Even the DnA stuff I couldn't get into, tho Coipel was doing some cool stuff back then.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone talk about DotNG positively.

It was fine for what is was. Not starlins best work . Should have just let sterlin run wild on the 4th wall

Whoa! New Bombshells art prints up for pre-order at TFAW.com.

We've got Katana and Zatanna this time:

Do any of you folks who go to cons ever see people selling the first volume of Paul Dini's Zatanna. It's oop and I'd like to own it. But not for silly money. What's annoying is that the second volume is still in print.

Is that the Zatanna series that came out a couple years ago?

It's considered the best legion story ever. That was enough to sell, me on it

Tell me more. Now you've piqued my interest. How expensive is the book?

Am I a bad person for not caring about cosmic stories?

Probably.

Messi

Whoa! New Bombshells art prints up for pre-order at TFAW.com.

We've got Katana and Zatanna this time:

Is that the Zatanna series that came out a couple years ago?

Tell me more. Now you've piqued my interest. How expensive is the book?

Probably.

Oh my goodness give me a statue of that Katana print. It's beautiful.

Yep its the series that came out a few years ago.

Owzers

Multiversity #1 - So that was fun in a Morrison " what am i reading" type of way.
Why was Nix Uatu and his pal in an egg?

I need to read something really dumb now but i didn't order any Bendis books.

So I forgot to mention it, but I ordered the Doom Patrol omni off of Amazon instead of IST because IST was having an issue completing my order. Amazon shipped the book in a box with just two air bubbles to protect it. One of the air bubbles had already popped from the weight of the book itself. So it had one little air bubble to protect it.

Luckily the book was completely fine. But I thought it was pretty funny when I opened it and saw a deflated air bubble underneath the book. It's such a night and day difference compared to IST.

Messi

So I forgot to mention it, but I ordered the Doom Patrol omni off of Amazon instead of IST because IST was having an issue completing my order. Amazon shipped the book in a box with just two air bubbles to protect it. One of the air bubbles had already popped from the weight of the book itself. So it had one little air bubble to protect it.

Luckily the book was completely fine. But I thought it was pretty funny when I opened it and saw a deflated air bubble underneath the book. It's such a night and day difference compared to IST.

I just couldn't trust Amazon to ship an omnibus. They just don't give a fuck. Hood to hear it made it though.

Hm. I'll have to add this to my next IST order.

Ha, Amazon has the worst packaging ever. You're lucky they sent it in a box and not an envelope.

Zombine

Banned
I'm going to add A Second Chance To Sarah to my next IST order. Gaming side turned me on to that book and it looks interesting.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Oof. That could've ended badly.
I bought some used books online recently and they were sent in a box with two air bubbles as well and BOTH of them had popped (10-15 pounds of books tend to do that to thin pressurized plastic), but I also got lucky and they weren't damaged.
Glad to hear yours still made it all right.

phoenixyz

Multiversity #1 - So that was fun in a Morrison " what am i reading" type of way.
Why was Nix Uatu and his pal in an egg?
With Morrison the answer usually is
"Because why the hell not?"
:D

Ha, Amazon has the worst packaging ever. You're lucky they sent it in a box and not an envelope.
In Germany they send trades in little boxes but without any cushioning whatsoever...

tim1138

Made my first foray into figures and picked up the N52 Orion today, only to get one with a busted hand. The post that attaches it to the arm is broken about 3/4 of the way through and his hand is just dangling there. Thankfully the shop is gonna hold their other one for me to swap out tomorrow.

Just bought the Jason Aaron/Steve Dillon omnibus for $70 on Amazon.
*emo punisher*

The Ennis/Aaron Punisher run is the greatest single crime run in comics history.

Don't expect that to be anywhere near close in quality to the Ennis run.
Still pretty good, tho, even if it gets way too silly in a bad way at times. Very solid start.

Don't expect that to be anywhere near close in quality to the Ennis run.
Still pretty good, tho, even if it gets way too silly in a bad way at times. Very solid start.

I've already read it and own all the floppies. While it didn't reach the heights of Ennis' work, Aaron put together a solid ending for the MAX series. That and My War Gone By by Ennis puts a fitting cap on that whole MAX experiment.

I've never read a single issue of the MAX series.

You should.

It's amazing.

But it will also destroy your soul and leave you a mere burned out shell of a human being.

Read:

Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis 1-60
Punisher: Born
Punisher: The Cell
Punisher: The Tyger

and PunisherMAX by Jason Aaron.

Punisher 61-75 are optional. Random stories by some crime authors, not bad.

From the beginning to the ending, I think it's one of the greatest runs in comics history. By the end, it covers roughly 100 issues over... eight or nine years?

Zombine

Banned
You should.

It's amazing.

But it will also destroy your soul and leave you a mere burned out shell of a human being.

Read:

Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis 1-60
Punisher: Born
Punisher: The Cell
Punisher: The Tyger

and PunisherMAX by Jason Aaron.

Punisher 61-75 are optional. Random stories by some crime authors, not bad.

From the beginning to the ending, I think it's one of the greatest runs in comics history. By the end, it covers roughly 100 issues over... eight or nine years?

Is this the one with the Russian fight? I love those panels. I may just throw it all on an order soon.

I need this.
I fucking need this
Gizmoduck_Three_Small.jpg

I'm sure it's pretty horrible to say that I'm 90s kid who had no access to the Disney Channel other than on free weekends. I couldn't appreciate that half as much as some of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom