• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

1395024801987.jpg

A new challenger approaches!

I always buy my comics digitally and wait for the discounts so im always a month or two late on my reading (6 month for marvels via MU) but for multiversity I decided to pay the extra $ and read it now. It was fun and a bit easier to read than some of morrisons similar takes in this realm. Seeing all the different comic homages of different brands were great. I didn't expect to see one from
image with Dino cop! Having savage dragon in this will be a ton of fun

Guys I really hope the rumors of a Marvel reboot end up being true. I want to see the world burn.
I don't see the point. Marvel never cares that much for their continuity history. They just do it by simply ignoring it and pretend things didn't happen. Or soft reboots like iron man with extremis

Of course if they did do it, watch it become movie marvel universe and spidey and the xmen locked in some closet somewhere.

Zombine

Banned
But we would lose some great titles in the process, and Superior Foes.

Foes is ending anyways. The Marvel U is just a fucking disaster right now. I would not mind if they started over and killed FF and every X book but one or two for good. It's just a mess.

With that said, not happening.

Foes is ending anyways. The Marvel U is just a fucking disaster right now. I would not mind if they started over and killed FF and every X book but one or two for good. It's just a mess.

With that said, not happening.

I don't see the point. Marvel never cares that much for their continuity history. They just do it by simply ignoring it and pretend things didn't happen. Or soft reboots like iron man with extremis

Of course if they did do it, watch it become movie marvel universe and spidey and the xmen locked in some closet somewhere.

80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

My predictions; If they do it, you'll see Spiderman and X-men sidelined and everything will be so movie-verse it'll hurt.

http://img.pandawhale.com/80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif[IMG]

My predictions; If they do it, you'll see Spiderman and X-men sidelined and everything will be so movie-verse it'll hurt.[/QUOTE]

yeah I can totally see them throwing their most popular characters/franchises to the side because they want to be more popular

yeah I can totally see them throwing their most popular characters/franchises to the side because they want to be more popular

The movies are where the money is at. The comics exist as script generators for future movies. Why create content for their competitors to use when they can focus their attention on stuff they can exploit?

How long til there are more GOTG books than X-men?

frye

The Marvel U is just a fucking disaster right now.

Serious question: in what way? Outside of Spider-Man and the mainline X-Men books (and it's not like the problems I have with those comics need a reboot to fix), the last few years of Marvel have been pretty competent across the line.

This is pretty much nonsense.

As much as I scoff at people trying to shore up DnA's cosmic marvel from the rocky shores of earned obscurity, Marvel is expert at maintaining the kind of continuity that matters. Remender is an extraordinarily perfect example of this. Dude built his entire revolutionary groundbreaking Uncanny X-Force meticulously out of decades of x-continuity. Even Excalibur and the Simonson X-Factor were essential in building that story.

Hickman takes gems like Artie and Leech and Power Pack and reintroduces them back into the Marvel Mainstream. He takes a single spread from New X-Men and turns it into the best origin story in 21st Century Superhero Comics.

People can keep whining about the cosmic marvel continuity no one showed up to read, meanwhile the real superstars are honoring and continuing decades of legacy. Marvel should not be beholden to stories not enough people read to make them matter. It sounds arbitrary (it is), but just because Marvel isn't tying themselves to every single story they ever published, doesn't mean they haven't maintained the pretty damn rock solid continuity of a single shared universe. There are some bumps along the road, sure, it's impossible to avoid them unless you're Valiant and you've started from scratch.

But this idea that Marvel ignores continuity is, to someone who's read their comics every week for about 27 years, literally the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

LosDaddie

Banned
Is there a good website that keeps up with the hardcover/TPB solicits? I'd like to be able to check a certain website (or two) about once a week, and know if any new omnis have been announced.

Infinite Crisis, IMO, depends heavily not only on the four preceding miniseries and Countdown one shot, but also the original Crisis on Infinite Earths plus numerous other DC tie-ins released in the year or two before the event.

Final Crisis, on the other hand, doesn't really depend on any prior work (indeed its more confusing if you read the weekly series that preceded it) though a familiarity with the Fourth World would probably help.

Seeing how I just bought the Infinite Crisis omnibus, what should I read before & after? I know I should read Crisis on Infinite Earths first, but I have no idea after that.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender is amazing. It also leads directly into Uncanny Avengers so it's the best of both worlds!

Man.....I should really ready my Uncanny Xforce omni.

Zombine

Banned
Serious question: in what way? Outside of Spider-Man and the mainline X-Men books (and it's not like the problems I have with those comics need a reboot to fix), the last few years of Marvel have been pretty competent across the line.

I probably shouldn't be throwing all of Marvel under the bus when airing my grievances with the X books. They need help. It needs an actual reboot or Bendis needs to go focus on something else.

Messi

I probably shouldn't be throwing all of Marvel under the bus when airing my grievances with the X books. They need help. It needs an actual reboot or Bendis needs to go focus on something else.

He could just focus on All New and hand off the rest.

X-Books are so good right now it's crazy. Finally some Claremontian, emotion-driven soap opera deluxe. May Bendis never leave.

Boogiepop

Just to confirm since it's came up again in the last few pages, is Punisher MAX the one where
he kills Microchip, and there's those agents who talk about sex all the time and the one guy gets his balls cut off, and the police department tries to overblow things to make it seem like he's abusing officers?
If so, I read the first few volumes from the library a year or so ago and... I wasn't a fan. At the risk of insulting something people seem to love, it felt (at least partially) a little immature with how much it was using its freedom from constraints. Maybe it was just a few things starting it off on a wrong foot and giving me a bad impression (and that one black cop looking way too much like a racist stereotype in way too many panels, don't know what the hell was going on with the art on that character), but it just didn't work for me. (Admittedly though, I think I was starting to enjoy it a bit more with the stuff with the
former IRA guy with the bombs and the treasure or whatever

Though admittedly Punisher, and especially a Punisher removed from all the fun craziness of the Marvel universe, may just plain not be for me. I may look into that Frankencastle stuff sometime though, that always looked fun to me.

The movies are where the money is at. The comics exist as script generators for future movies. Why create content for their competitors to use when they can focus their attention on stuff they can exploit?

How long til there are more GOTG books than X-men?

I mean...they can do both. Spider-Man has been their best selling solo title for years, and if you put X in the title, at least 20,000 people will buy it every month. And they would reboot/remove these things because...why? They're still the most successful company in the industry, no matter how many reboots DC does or how hard they wish they were Marvel.

Zombine

Banned
I love just sitting here, looking at my IST order of all 6 Hellboy Library Edition HC's, completely paid for and not processed or picked up. Been like this for a while now.

X-Books are so good right now it's crazy. Finally some Claremontian, emotion-driven soap opera deluxe. May Bendis never leave.

Uncanny is the best of the Bendis books. All New was my favorite but it's gotten fairly silly. Still love Nightcrawler, X-Force is awesome, X-men was dropped harder than Cena at Summer Slam. The books aren't bad, I'm just on X-men overload.

I mean...they can do both. Spider-Man has been their best selling solo title for years, and if you put X in the title, at least 20,000 people will buy it every month. And they would reboot/remove these things because...why? They're still the most successful company in the industry, no matter how many reboots DC does or how hard they wish they were Marvel.

Isn't wanting "to watch the world burn" a good enough reason for destroying all that continuity? Come on! It would "be" "super" "cool".

This is pretty much nonsense.

As much as I scoff at people trying to shore up DnA's cosmic marvel from the rocky shores of earned obscurity, Marvel is expert at maintaining the kind of continuity that matters. Remender is an extraordinarily perfect example of this. Dude built his entire revolutionary groundbreaking Uncanny X-Force meticulously out of decades of x-continuity. Even Excalibur and the Simonson X-Factor were essential in building that story.

Hickman takes gems like Artie and Leech and Power Pack and reintroduces them back into the Marvel Mainstream. He takes a single spread from New X-Men and turns it into the best origin story in 21st Century Superhero Comics.

People can keep whining about the cosmic marvel continuity no one showed up to read, meanwhile the real superstars are honoring and continuing decades of legacy. Marvel should not be beholden to stories not enough people read to make them matter. It sounds arbitrary (it is), but just because Marvel isn't tying themselves to every single story they ever published, doesn't mean they haven't maintained the pretty damn rock solid continuity of a single shared universe. There are some bumps along the road, sure, it's impossible to avoid them unless you're Valiant and you've started from scratch.

But this idea that Marvel ignores continuity is, to someone who's read their comics every week for about 27 years, literally the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
I didn't say they ignore it, I said they never care that much about it. These are two separate things. If they don't like something they just ignore it and move on. Citing examples when a writer takes elements here and there from the past doesn't invalidate what I said. And I didn't even mention cosmic marvel so I don't even know why you drew me into that mini rant.

Marvel as a comic line has always been one that likes to keep their characters in the here and now. Which is fine and makes sense but to do that you have to use a sliding window of care regarding continuity. Or just invalidate a marriage by making a deal with the devil *cough*. One aspect I really loved with the pre 52 universe dc universe was there was a true sense of legacy, history and passing the torch between eras. You had the JSA that passed to JLA. You had WW pass down the family line, same with canary, flash was handed down, same with robin, starman, etc. Outside cap and the invaders there's not much "past" to marvel so they have to keep shifting the now more frequently than DC used to. Of course dc then blew it all up and that has always bugged me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that I like both Uncanny Xmen and All New Xmen. The latter is pretty much Final Fantasy high school fanfiction and the former is all over the place but I like reading them for reasons I can't actually articulate. For something more exciting I have Uncanny Avengers, but I think that's almost over.

And for stories about Canadian sasquatches I have Amazing Xmen.

Birdie what is your Beef with DNA 'a cosmic stuff ?

I think it's fine. My beef is with people who are so bent out of shape that recent stories ignore it. So we shouldn't get something rad like Infinity because Thanos is whatever wherever?

It actually might just be because it leads people (Marvel fucking included) to throw around the term "Cancerverse" which is about the most disgraceful thing ever to be put forth by a major comics outfit.

That's actually probably it in a nutshell. Fuck all of that cosmic marvel garbage because of it. Just to watch the world burn.

;D

I didn't say they ignore it, I said they never care that much about it. These are two separate things. If they don't like something they just ignore it and move on. Citing examples when a writer takes elements here and there from the past doesn't invalidate what I said. And I didn't even mention cosmic marvel so I don't even know why you drew me into that mini rant.

Marvel as a comic line has always been one that likes to keep their characters in the here and now. Which is fine and makes sense but to do that you have to use a sliding window of care regarding continuity. Or just invalidate a marriage by making a deal with the devil *cough*. One aspect I really loved with the pre 52 universe dc universe was there was a true sense of legacy, history and passing the torch between eras. You had the JSA that passed to JLA. You had WW pass down the family line, same with canary, flash was handed down, same with robin, starman, etc. Outside cap and the invaders there's not much "past" to marvel so they have to keep shifting the now more frequently than DC used to. Of course dc then blew it all up and that has always bugged me.

I wasn't lumping you in with the DnABros. They were just relevant to my point.

Invalidating a marriage or updating an origin story is not the same as kicking continuity to the curb. In the former, it was still held in continuity because there were characs who remembered it. Same with the Parker Identity retcon. It's pretty genius actually. Cake, eat it, etc.

I just think you're framing it like the Remender-esque choices are in the minority whereas the majority of Marvel's stories are kicking old stories to the curb, and I think the curb kicked stories are far and away in the minority and the majority of modern Marvel is built explicitly on continuity and the past. I mean, Original Sin is still playing off beats from a 50 year old Kirby/Lee FF story.

JLA>JSA was indeed really cool, and yeah, another thing DC stupidly set fire to, just to watch the world burn.

frye

Like, a reboot shouldn't even be in discussion at this point considering the time it would've made the most sense -- right after AvX, planned when DC's reboot seemed like an unqualified financial success -- Marvel didn't... and got the same benefits as DC without breaking their comics universe for 2+ years

he wants to be edgy

My guess is that he groans every time a fan mentions it because they mention it too much. It's pretty much old man yelling at cloud at this point.

AH! I was close!

Yeah it's so edgy and punk rock to think the word "Cancerverse" is fucking disgusting. I'm so edgy to think that. Just totally being contrary, the opinion equivalent of twelve safety pins in my earlobe.

PVEBCEl.gif

And for stories about Canadian sasquatches I have Amazing Xmen.

Man, that book went off the rails rather quickly didn't it? It seem like was suppose to be the Astonishing X-Men replacement, small cast of big-name X-men with big name creators doing continuity light adventures...then somebody said "Hey Jason Aaron you wanna do Star Wars with John Cassaday" and he says "uh of course" and its like "quick, get some fill-in stories! Do we have Marc Guggenheim's number? Is Khoi Pham available!?"

Man, that book went off the rails rather quickly didn't it? It seem like was suppose to be the Astonishing X-Men replacement, small cast of big-name X-men with big name creators doing continuity light adventures...then somebody said "Hey Jason Aaron you wanna do Star Wars with John Cassaday" and he says "uh of course" and its like "quick, get some fill-in stories! Do we have Marc Guggenheim's number? Is Khoi Pham available!?"

God seriously.

"Well, we'll get Ed McGuinness, at least." >turns around for literally five seconds< "Oh, god damn it."

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, this is what happens when I take a day off from reading a ton of Doom Patrol and posting about how amazing it is. Everyone gets all argumentative.

Everyone just read Doom Patrol and be happy.

Man, this is what happens when I take a day off from reading a ton of Doom Patrol and posting about how amazing it is. Everyone gets all argumentative.

I just read through 26 earlier today and man, Mr. Nobody is a really cool design.

Kipp

I can't I've read the last issue

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INTERPRET THIS. Will my whole world fall apart after I read the last issue? I'm going to hate everything I once loved, won't I. Nothing will have any meaning anymore.

At least I'll have the good times to hold onto. Like the Mallah and the Brain issue. And every single other issue.

I just read through 26 earlier today and man, Mr. Nobody is a really cool design.

Right!? So cool.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INTERPRET THIS. Will my whole world fall apart after I read the last issue? I'm going to hate everything I once loved, won't I. Nothing will have any meaning anymore.

At least I'll have the good times to hold onto. Like the Mallah and the Brain issue. And every single other issue.

oh my god i was kidding you're not finished holy fucking shit dude finish it

Am reading the Cult of the Unwritten Book right now. It is freaking me out, I don't think I'll sleep tonight. (Mystery Kites, Never-Never Boys...)

I think it's fine. My beef is with people who are so bent out of shape that recent stories ignore it. So we shouldn't get something rad like Infinity because Thanos is whatever wherever?

It actually might just be because it leads people (Marvel fucking included) to throw around the term "Cancerverse" which is about the most disgraceful thing ever to be put forth by a major comics outfit.

That's actually probably it in a nutshell. Fuck all of that cosmic marvel garbage because of it. Just to watch the world burn.

;D

It's not that recent stories ignore it it's it looked like marvel would never explain it. It's a bit jarring when a character dies and then he shows up like he wasn't in a dyeing universe or anything.

I don't expect Madrox and Layla to stay on the farm forever but it's nice they are off the table for a bit.

It was a nice conclusion to the story and had some closure.

thanos+imperative+issue+6+010.jpg

I'm glad marvel is getting around to it now

Kipp

oh my god i was kidding you're not finished holy fucking shit dude finish it

Haha. No, I've still got something like 700 pages to go, which is awesome because I'm loving it more than life itself. It's already my all time favorite comics run.
But yeah, hopefully I'll read another big chunk of issues tomorrow. I read a bunch yesterday and it was an awesome day, but today my mind just was not in comics reading mode and I only read one issue. It was a much less awesome day.

Am reading the Cult of the Unwritten Book right now. It is freaking me out, I don't think I'll sleep tonight. (Mystery Kites, Never-Never Boys...)

That wasn't one of my favorite arcs (although that's not to say I didn't still massively enjoy it), but the sheer creativity of it with ALL those different types of enemies from the Cult of the Unwritten Book was great. Crazy stuff.
Also, Willoughby Kipling had some pretty hilarious lines of dialogue.

Also, I'm afraid that all of you guys who started reading the omnibus after me are going to be passing me up fairly quickly. Damn my slow reading. I need to make sure I stay ahead of you guys so that I can enjoy reading your posts and not be spoiled.

Kipp

I just realized... after I finish the Doom Patrol omnibus, it's going to be so hard for me to move on to another book. Right now, all I want is more Doom Patrol forever and ever.
I think the only comic I'd willingly move on to after Doom Patrol is finished would be The Invisibles, but I don't have that yet.
As it stands, I'll probably have to just force myself to start another comic (Ex Machina was the plan before, so probably that) and just hope I can get into it.

ReAxion

I've calmed a little on Final Crisis. But only a little. Tell, Don't Show is a big problem until just before the end where I think it's referencing itself, but I'm not sure it's even that self-aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom