• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime and manga? I'm all up in that. And I've got the crunchyroll subscription to prove it
I've strayed from anime since the early 2000s and the dvd boom. I'd get crunchyroll but with all my other hobbies I know I'd not get to it.

I'm always frustrated there's more fiction and games out there then I have time to consume. I want it all!!!!

Same here. I love my Crunchyroll sub. Sailor Moon is so badass. I love Magi too.

I am pro transformable giant mecha / robots so I often have to turn to anime / manga to sate that particular appreciation. The complete and utter lack of any sort of western version in comics is of particular sadness to me.

Double post sorry.

Good points, but know who else is made of meat? Batman, doesn't stop him from taking done aliens with matches.

So why not have him go against a guy that uses military tactics for 40+ years too? :p
Bonus points for the opposition defeating frank

Man Barracuda was kickass, which is funny because he was more likable than Castle haha.

On your first point, Frank went to public school.

On the second, the old fucks usually like frank. You're talking about people like Fury, Zakharov and company. Send Steve and Frank has been written lately as revering the guy so much he won't even try to fight if he gets face to face with him.

Barracuda was written to be more likeable than Castle. Almost every line of dialogue of his is funny, cocky or both. Then you've the second Barracuda arc with the absolutely hilarious
battery to the balls
description, and a bit of empathy when he wakes up in the car trunk. Heck, you got cuda's dialogue with the baby too. Everything was gold. Ennis really nailed the empathy there. Heck, that "memories like that, i kill" line was something to be proud of.

Zombine

Banned
I am pro transformable giant mecha / robots so I often have to turn to anime / manga to sate that particular appreciation. The complete and utter lack of any sort of western version in comics is of particular sadness to me.

IDW is doing a good job with transformers.

Bandai on the other hand...at least in America they keep jerking that Gundam dick and then slap a cock ring on it. There's never any release and they're giving us blue balls.

No American release for Turn-A is horse shit.

I'm loving the fact that at least a dozen of us are underground Anime/Manga fans.

And by a dozen I mean like 3 of us.

Freeza and I always rock anime/manga avatars. Mine is still half manga!

I have my volumes of Nisekoi on the same shelf as All-Star Superman. It's the advanced Literature shelf.

Have you read Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye? It's so good.

Bandai on the other hand...at least in America they keep jerking that Gundam dick and then slap a cock ring on it. There's never any release and they're giving us blue balls.

no American release for Turn-A is horse shit.

I'm not really into Transformers. I mean, I respect what the comics are doing, and wholly support it (my roommate also is hella into it). But I've always been more Macross / Gundam style. I'm someone who absolutely loved the absurdity that is Macross 7. I'm a kickstarter backer for the soon to release Robotech Tactics miniatures game. But the wasteland of good any mecha comics makes me sad.

Mecha ain't no game son.

Zombine

Banned
Freeza and I always rock anime/manga avatars. Mine is still half manga!

I have my volumes of Nisekoi on the same shelf as All-Star Superman.

You know what Manga I love that I honestly didn't expect to enjoy? Rosario + Vampire. The art is sooooo good.

Mecha ain't no game son.

9781935654872_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

These keep me satisfied like you wouldn't believe.

Same here. I love my Crunchyroll sub. Sailor Moon is so badass. I love Magi too.

Word. I started watching Sailor Moon Crystal just because it was there. I'm digging it, and I'm not usually one for magical girl anime outside of Madoka.

No American release for Turn-A is horse shit.

Technically, Transformers is a Japanese property, too. It just gained more footing in America than anything else. Maybe America is racist against giant robots.

As far as Gundam, the Gundam Origin manga volumes from Vertical have been really gorgeous releases.

I was thinking...are any of the Silent Hill comics any good? I have a few random ones that I found at a shop for dirt cheap but I'm curious if I should bother a) finishing off collecting the series, b) look into any others...

Tizoc

Ya'all scrubs talking Transformers?

I might bite on the next sale. But transformer comics in the past haven't clicked with me. Plus there's so many transormers that I see on the covers that I have no idea who they are.

That' the thing: You don't need to, heck I never knew who
Swerve, Skids, Rewind, Chromedome, Brainstorm, Pipes, Red Alert and First Aid
were (and that's to name a few!), but they've quickly become some of the most interesting characters to read about in a comic series for the longest time. Here, let me give you a quick introduction to some of the crew members

I'm not really into Transformers. I mean, I respect what the comics are doing, and wholly support it (my roommate also is hella into it). But I've always been more Macross / Gundam style. I'm someone who absolutely loved the absurdity that is Macross 7. I'm a kickstarter backer for the soon to release Robotech Tactics miniatures game. But the wasteland of good any mecha comics makes me sad.

Mecha ain't no game son.

Even if you don't like Transformers, get MTMTE, if you even remotely like reading and/or great characterization, you HAVE to give the series a read.

On your first point, Frank went to public school.
What's that got to do with Frank's skills as they are?

I'd rather not discuss my habits.

It's for the best. If you are embarrassed by what I read here...

:p

It can't be as bad as your passable comic taste, out with it. I want to catch up on that Sailor Moon anime someday.

Has any one read the Doctor Who comics written by Morrison?

I only read the one story featuring the 6th Doctor which I rather enjoyed.

Messi

I have only passable comics taste?

I own that shitty Batman and Robin cover up there. I own floppies of the first 5 issues of that run.

Messi is watching Bible Black while reading Zenescope books as we speak.
me too

This cuts close my friend. Even I'm embarrassed by Bible Black.

I still read Zenescope books. They are not good.

What's that got to do with Frank's skills as they are?

It was a quick way of pointing out that Frank lacks, has always lacked, and will always lack the resources that Bruce has, thus making any comparison between the kinda shit they can pull off somewhat absurd. Especially JLA Bruce.

But hey, if starlord can survive in space for as long as he has, maybe frank could manage too.

Tizoc

Like seriously you want to see awesome writing? James Roberts' Transformers run has it in spades, take this gem for example

Swerve: "For your information, apart from Tarn and the D.J.D., I'm scared of—(one, two, three four...)—five things in this life: One, Megatron. (Obviously.) Two, Overlord. Three, Sixshot. Four, Shockwave. And five, some nightmare combination of Megatron, Overlord, Sixshot and Shockwave."
Hoist: "They can't combine...!"
Swerve: "Matter of time. Decepticons are obsessed with combining. Put two of 'em in a room and within seconds one will be standing on the other's shoulders. Fact."

I have only passable comics taste?

I own that shitty Batman and Robin cover up there. I own floppies of the first 5 issues of that run.

I own the Hardcovers of various Morrison series.
...and you calling the cover shitty proves my point :V

Tizoc

It was a quick way of pointing out that Frank lacks, has always lacked, and will always lack the resources that Bruce has, thus making any comparison between the kinda shit they can pull off somewhat absurd. Especially JLA Bruce.

I don't think Frank lacks anything, his military tactics is what kept him alive all this time along with knowing how to outsmart his enemies.

We all know Bruce had to go round the world and go through some hellish training and improvisation to reach the level of prep time he has. You make it sound like Bruce had been in some special Hogwarts-like school for training kids into becoming human weapons lol.

Messi

Like seriously you want to see awesome writing? James Roberts' Transformers run has it in spades, take this gem for example

Swerve: "For your information, apart from Tarn and the D.J.D., I'm scared of—(one, two, three four...)—five things in this life: One, Megatron. (Obviously.) Two, Overlord. Three, Sixshot. Four, Shockwave. And five, some nightmare combination of Megatron, Overlord, Sixshot and Shockwave."
Hoist: "They can't combine...!"
Swerve: "Matter of time. Decepticons are obsessed with combining. Put two of 'em in a room and within seconds one will be standing on the other's shoulders. Fact."

I own the Hardcovers of various Morrison series.
...and you calling the cover shitty proves my point :V

I would call my taste different in some regards. I seem to have a different angle than most people on here. Especially when it comes to female led books.

Don't be scared of what is different. I won't bite.

Zombine

Banned
This cuts close my friend. Even I'm embarrassed by Bible Black.

I still read Zenescope books. They are not good.

Could be worse, you could be reading Zombie Tramp. You know what book I am curious about though? That one where the dude is dating all those monster girls. I don't remember the name.

Guys! Guys! It's happening!

I do want that really bad. Don't necessarily want any Guardians merch other than that. Best part of the movie next to
Howard.

Could be worse, you could be reading Zombie Tramp. You know what book I am curious about though? That one where the dude is dating all those monster girls. I don't remember the name.

Monster Musume? I've been reading it. Didn't pick up vol.4 yet, though. It's reeeeally pervy.

Messi

I randomly bought a book today. I hope it's good. It's the first issue of Madam Frankenstein. I bought it because I loved the art style, I adore black and white art.

Monster Musume? I've been reading it. Didn't pick up vol.4 yet, though. It's reeeeally pervy.

Oh, I'm gonna check this out. It's on Comixology?

Edit : oh I got confused. That is most definitely not on there

Tizoc

I would call my taste different in some regards. I seem to have a different angle than most people on here. Especially when it comes to female led books.

Don't be scared of what is different. I won't bite.

I just enjoy teasing you :V

EDIT: For that matter have you read this yet? I really liked the art and the story was nice
top-cow-madame-mirage-issue-1f.jpg

top-cow-madame-mirage-issue-6.jpg

Tizoc

No but it's written by Paul Dini so I'll buy some issues on rep alone. You enjoyed it?

The art looks nice.

I'd need to re-read it but I liked it last time I read it, but I mainly got it for the art which was fantastic IMO.

Actually I buy a lot of manga but have trouble getting around to reading it.

My picks are pretty pedestrian:
Vagabond
20th Century Boys
Yotsuba&!
Bleach

I also have on deck:
Naruto
One Piece
Jojo
One Punch Man

All "vs." discussions fall apart when people bring in the "whoever's writing" counterpoint, but The Punisher would totally clown all your faves

I don't think Frank lacks anything, his military tactics is what kept him alive all this time along with knowing how to outsmart his enemies.

We all know Bruce had to go round the world and go through some hellish training and improvisation to reach the level of prep time he has. You make it sound like Bruce had been in some special Hogwarts-like school for training kids into becoming human weapons lol.

Bruce chose, from a very early age, to direct his vast resources towards becoming a human weapon. On top of that, he had Pennyworth to make sure that he was well-rounded as fuck. Of course that is what i am saying. Dude can use and build top of the line tech, vehicles, healthcare, whatever. He created a gun that could kill a god. He walks around with a grappling hook.

Whereas Frank can barely use a computer, has to suture his own wounds, and drives around in a van. In the rare occasions where he does get something above standard ballistic/explosive tech, it is because he stole it from someone else. Of course a guy like that can't be expected to stop aliens with a paper clip.

You'd be better off comparing bruce to tony or tchalla.

Tizoc

Bruce chose, from a very early age, to direct his vast resources towards becoming a human weapon. On top of that, he had Pennyworth to make sure that he was well-rounded as fuck. Of course that is what i am saying. Dude can use and build top of the line tech, vehicles, healthcare, whatever. He created a gun that could kill a god. He walks around with a grappling hook.

Whereas Frank can barely use a computer, has to suture his own wounds, and drives around in a van. In the rare occasions where he does get something above standard ballistic/explosive tech, it is because he stole it from someone else. Of course a guy like that can't be expected to stop aliens with a paper clip.

You'd be better off comparing bruce to tony or tchalla.

Eh I dunno, I mean yeah I'd put him on similar if not lower levels than the average super hero, but I wouldn't say he's not that resourceful.
It all comes down to knowing who you're dealing with.

All you ever have to reference is Punisher kills the Marvel Universe.

Frank beats anyone Marvel.

That book is disgusting and one of Ennis' worst titles ever. If you've even remotely read any of the series that featured the Marvel characters in it you'd be turned off by its meaningless violence and 'wow factor' the book goes for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom