• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen him at Barnes & Noble quite a bit.

My wife and I spent like $600 this last week celebrating her 30th birthday and our 5 year wedding anniversary. I can't even afford a Funko right now. Lol. I did budget for comics though!

AQUAMAN #34 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #21 $2.99
FLASH #34 $2.99
HARLEY QUINN #10 $2.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #17 (WEEKLY) $2.99
RED LANTERNS #34 $2.99
SUPERMAN #34 $3.99
BLACK SCIENCE #8 (MR) $3.50
OUTCAST BY KIRKMAN & AZACETA #3 (MR) $2.99
REVIVAL #23 (MR) $2.99
SAGA #22 (MR) $2.99

Not comics but the Beavis and Butthead Funko POP figures are absolutely terrifying

I can't believe how many of those things they have. It's like they're just shitting them out at this point. I had to buy the Sharknado one, because it's amazing. But most of them don't do much for me. Gotta get dat Dancing Groot, though.

Also, time for list!

Batman Eternal #21
Harley Quinn #10
Black Science #8
Low #2
Revival #23
Saga #22
Wayward #1
All-New X-Men #31
Guardians of the Galaxy #18

Alright, because of an earlier discussion in another thread I decided to Wiki the Daredevil movie with Affleck. So apparently he trained himself as a kid? Do they not mention Sticks at all? And what's this about him having super human strength because...of his heightened sense of touch? Wha?

I
Seeing how I just bought the Infinite Crisis omnibus, what should I read before & after? I know I should read Crisis on Infinite Earths first, but I have no idea after that.

The omnibus is super comprehensive so I would really just recommend COIE . Identity Crisis is pretty important, too, but it's a very, very divisive read.

As to, after, definitely read 52. It's pretty remarkable that DC managed to get Morrison, Rucka, Waid, and Johns on a single weekly series.

So I started reading Supreme Blue Rose. I figured I should since I impulse-bought both issues so far simply because "ooh, pretty art". It's pretty captivating so far. It dips into some slightly abstract metaphysical ideas, but it's too early to form a clear picture of the plot as of yet. I'm not even all the way through issue 1, but I'm liking it. It's a gorgeous book. Yay Warren Ellis.

Vyer

Alright, because of an earlier discussion in another thread I decided to Wiki the Daredevil movie with Affleck. So apparently he trained himself as a kid? Do they not mention Sticks at all? And what's this about him having super human strength because...of his heightened sense of touch? Wha?

Always meant to check out that movie but never did. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

ReAxion

So I started reading Supreme Blue Rose. I figured I should since I impulse-bought both issues so far simply because "ooh, pretty art". It's pretty captivating so far. It dips into some slightly abstract metaphysical ideas, but it's too early to form a clear picture of the plot as of yet. I'm not even all the way through issue 1, but I'm liking it. It's a gorgeous book. Yay Warren Ellis.

It's supposed to be a homage to Twin Peaks, in that the title refers to blue rose cases. Don't know that I've seen that said here yet.

Tula Lotay is soooo good.

edit: I like multiversity 1 better than any of the final crisis issues.

Early Sunday morning pull list SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Aquaman
Batman Superman
Flash
Harley Quinn
Justice League Dark
New 52 Futures End
Red Lanterns
Secret Origins
Sinestro
Superman

Cartoon Network Super Secret Crisis War

Saga

When does the new creative team start on Catwoman? When can I buy it again?

I just wish Marvel would let Frank actually kill supervillains.

Cause he could. Edmondson's newest justification for not doing so at least gives us a reason why he doesn't go out and poison Magneto or empty a magazine into Norman Osborn's head...

Fucking Sentry.

7sjcwv.png

I just remembered Brian Wood is taking over Moon Knight and Warren and Declan are finished with it.

IwWRUkw.gif

Yea, I'm going to give Moon Knight #7 a whirl, but I doubt it'll come close to 1-6. Ellis writing and Declan's art just mesh so fucking well for Moon Knight.

Did you saw the Preview in Rocket Raccoon #2 or Moon Knight #6? The writing feels kinda off after Moon Knight 1-6 and that Art Style... ugh.

It will be shit.

I mean...they can do both. Spider-Man has been their best selling solo title for years, and if you put X in the title, at least 20,000 people will buy it every month. And they would reboot/remove these things because...why? They're still the most successful company in the industry, no matter how many reboots DC does or how hard they wish they were Marvel.

Isn't wanting "to watch the world burn" a good enough reason for destroying all that continuity? Come on! It would "be" "super" "cool".

It's a hyperbolic way for me to say that I'd enjoy watching the reactions and fallout from it all. I have no current horse in the Marvel race. I watch and enjoy their movies and dabble with a series here or there. And JC, market leadership is a temporary and fleeting thing. DC was once market leader and Marvel almost went bankrupt. Those things can change.

No, I think Disney Marvel has latched onto this idea that movie is king and they are having success making inroads with a new generation using those movies (and to a lesser extent the TV shows and animation) as vehicles to draw them into the comics. They've also shown that continuity from sources besides their own don't matter as much (re: Star Wars expanded universe). Now that they have the character IP they can forge their own stories. And like Star Wars, why be beholden to old continuity?

Chinner

Banned
I just wish Marvel would let Frank actually kill supervillains.

Cause he could. Edmondson's newest justification for not doing so at least gives us a reason why he doesn't go out and poison Magneto or empty a magazine into Norman Osborn's head...

Fucking Sentry.

I don't think it'll happen. It's a business after all, and I suppose they'll keep the super villains for the super heroes, as Franks place now appears to be where the trouble is where they can't justify having the avengers there.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Edmondson's first arc from 1-6 was pretty good, but the last few issues have been a little low key and repetitious with Frank being repeatedly captured. I just want something interesting to happen.

Messi

Celebratory final Ann Nocenti issue list, the nightmare is over guys

Batman Eternal #21
Catwoman #34 BOOK OF THE MONTH, CATWOMAN TAKES A DAY OFF.
Harley Quinn #10

Black Science #8
Low #2
Saga #22
Wayward #1

Smallest week in a long time

phoenixyz

I haven't read any Punisher besides the current ongoing. Would the first volume of Garth Ennis' Punisher ("Punisher MAX Vol. 1: In The Beginning") be the right spot to jump in?

Celebratory final Ann Nocenti issue list, the nightmare is over guys

Batman Eternal #21
Catwoman #34 BOOK OF THE MONTH, CATWOMAN TAKES A DAY OFF.
Harley Quinn #10

Black Science #8
Low #2
Saga #22
Wayward #1

Smallest week in a long time

Which one of us hosts the Skype / vent dramatic storytime reading of the final issue of Catwoman?

Zombine

Banned

It was the Hoobastank montage that gave him his powers.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Doom Patrol never ceases to amaze. This Geomancer vs. Orthodoxy war thing is so interesting. How does Morrison come up with this stuff.
Also, this quote deserves an honorable mention:
Jane: "This is totally AMAZING! Cliff, Look! There's AUSTRALIA!" Cliff: "Yeah, I've seen it before. I prefer New Guinea; it looks like a turtle."

Also, you know what's horrible? I've been having a mental tug-of-war with myself debating whether or not to buy a Robot Man/Cliff Steele action figure that's just $13.50.
It's official: I do not have what it takes to be a member of FigureGAF.
However, if a full Doom Patrol figure set existed, I would totally be on that. I want Cliff, Jane, Rebis, Dorothy, Joshua, and Niles standing (and sitting) side by side on my shelf more than I ever wanted any figures before. If I'm talking in hypotheticals, I might as well say I'd totally buy a figure set of the Brotherhood of Dada too.

Posted without comment:

Hahaha. Amazing.

Doom Patrol never ceases to amaze. This Geomancer vs. Orthodoxy war thing is so interesting. How does Morrison come up with this stuff.
Also, this quote deserves an honorable mention:
Jane: "This is totally AMAZING! Cliff, Look! There's AUSTRALIA!" Cliff: "Yeah, I've seen it before. I prefer New Guinea; it looks like a turtle."

Also, you know what's horrible? I've been having a mental tug-of-war with myself debating whether or not to buy a Robot Man/Cliff Steele action figure that's just $13.50.
It's official: I do not have what it takes to be a member of FigureGAF.
However, if a full Doom Patrol figure set existed, I would totally be on that. I want Cliff, Jane, Rebis, Dorothy, Joshua, and Niles standing (and sitting) side by side on my shelf more than I ever wanted any figures before. If I'm talking in hypotheticals, I might as well say I'd totally buy a figure set of the Brotherhood of Dada too.

Hahaha. Amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-UNIVERSE...onsiuer-doom-patrol-gorilla-ape-/400484332350

Someone is making customs as well.

http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/customzone/customcon/customcon26/d3pommer1rep.htm

Kipp

Some more Jack Kirby fun, this time from the Demon (fun fact, the success of the Demon led to the early cancelation of the Fourth World titles):

That first image especially is fantastic. It's so apparent how much he influences even today's comic art.

I actually did see those Brain and Mallah figures when I went searching directly after reading that issue. Haha. Thanks for the heads up though!
I decided against them mainly because the lightheartedness that I loved about that issue isn't captured at all in those figures (obviously you've gotta make the brain and ape duo look badass and tough for the figures) and also the price is a little on the high side for me and my frugal ways, especially since they aren't quite what I'd like them to be.
But yeah, I really appreciate you linking those to me in case I didn't see them!

Also, those custom figures are pretty great!

After the late shipping by Midtown I think I'm going to start checking out local shops. There's a really nice one I've heard good things about 4 minutes from me (I had no clue until I bothered looking at the map, as Main St. is a long road). Anyway, here's what I'm looking to get:

Baltimore Witch Of Harju #02
Black Science #08
Bodies #02
Evil Empire #04
Low #02
POP #01
Sundowners #01
Wayward #01

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished Fantastic Four - 1234.

Wow, what a great ride. I am not a big fan of either the F4 or Gran Morrision, but this story really got me.
I really have to buy his New X-Men Run.

Kipp

PSA: Only 10 hours left on that Action Comics #1 on eBay! Get your bids in, guys!
I would buy it at the $2.25 million it's currently at, but knowing eBay, it'll probably triple in price during the last 30 seconds of bidding. $7 million is just a little out of my range.

I really have to buy his New X-Men Run.

I still really need to read his New X-Men run... I've had it sitting on my shelf for a few months now. What am I doing.
I've also never read any X-Men comics.

PSA: Only 10 hours left on that Action Comics #1 on eBay! Get your bids in, guys!
I would buy it at the $2.25 million it's currently at, but knowing eBay, it'll probably triple in price during the last 30 seconds of bidding. $7 million is just a little out of my range.

I still really need to read his New X-Men run... I've had it sitting on my shelf for a few months now. What am I doing.
I've also never read any X-Men comics.

Thanks for the heads up on the auction, I'll be sure to dig into the piggy bank.

And if you've never read any X-Men, you should also check out Uncanny X-Force.

I haven't read any Punisher besides the current ongoing. Would the first volume of Garth Ennis' Punisher ("Punisher MAX Vol. 1: In The Beginning") be the right spot to jump in?
That's a fine spot but you should still check out Welcome Back, Frank, probably before MAX. You don't have to but WBF is SO good

LosDaddie

Banned
ComicsGAF, heading to Ikea today. What book shelves should I look at? I'm thinking maybe a shelf with at least a few rows for omnibi/hardcover size books, and a top shelf for some Hot Toys figures.

The omnibus is super comprehensive so I would really just recommend COIE . Identity Crisis is pretty important, too, but it's a very, very divisive read.

As to, after, definitely read 52. It's pretty remarkable that DC managed to get Morrison, Rucka, Waid, and Johns on a single weekly series.

Thanks!

So after Infinite Crisis, I should read Identity Crisis then the 52 omnibus? Is the 52 Omni worth it? What about Final Crisis?

ComicsGAF, heading to Ikea today. What book shelves should I look at? I'm thinking maybe a shelf with at least a few rows for omnibi/hardcover size books, and a top shelf for some Hot Toys figures.

Thanks!

So after Infinite Crisis, I should read Identity Crisis then the 52 omnibus? Is the 52 Omni worth it? What about Final Crisis?
52 is great fun. Also look into secret six.

Zombine

Banned

Thanks!

So this is tricky, because it depends on what sort of collector/reader you are. If you are set in your ways and only want a few books, a 6ft shelf is probably all you need for books and your toys.

If you plan on expanding your collection, prepare for a world of hurt. Certain omnibi, library editions, and hardcovers are the size of multiple books, and it can add up fast.

From the end of July until today, I completely filled up an entire smaller shelf in a month.

Kipp

Thanks!

A lot of people like these Kallax (formerly called Expedit) shelves, especially for oversized hardcover collections. And they're just big enough to perfectly fit Absolute editions as well.

They come in different numbers of squares and different colors, too, that's just a link to one of the few variations.

And Identity Crisis is actually meant to be read before Infinite Crisis.
A lot of people really like 52, so if you're interested in it, the 52 omnibus may be worth it. Final Crisis is definitely worth it if you're getting into all these Crisis events. Not least because you can have the full event (without the offshoot miniseries) for just $10.

And if you've never read any X-Men, you should also check out Uncanny X-Force.

Yeah, I definitely plan to get to that eventually. I'm going to wait until I actually read through my New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men collections before even thinking about that though. Haha

I was just digging through my collection looking for Arkham Asylum and came upon "The Mystery Play" by Grant Morrison. Had no idea I had this, got it dirt cheap at some old used book store a few years ago. Any opinions on it? Don't spoil, going to check it out today.

Kipp

Why am I tempted to get this...

Thanks a lot eBay for showing dirt cheap omnibuses in the sidebar when I'm searching for cheap Invisibles omnibuses.

I was just digging through my collection looking for Arkham Asylum and came upon "The Mystery Play" by Grant Morrison. Had no idea I had this, got it dirt cheap at some old used book store a few years ago. Any opinions on it? Don't spoil, going to check it out today.

Oh, whoa. I hadn't heard of that, but I just read the synopsis and it sounds really interesting. Definitely let us know how it is!

Why am I tempted to get this...

Thanks a lot eBay for showing dirt cheap omnibuses in the sidebar when I'm searching for cheap Invisibles omnibuses.

Oh, whoa. I hadn't heard of that, but I just read the synopsis and it sounds really interesting. Definitely let us know how it is!

Yea I don't even remember thinking to myself, "hey, this is a Grant Morrison comic" when I purchased it. The art is what looked interesting to me. I will definitely post my thoughts on it.

Just finished up Final Crisis. Loved it. That was an epic event! Might be my favorite event that I have ever read.

By reading Final Crisis, I have figured out that Grant Morrison writes a genius Bruce Wayne. He may not write my favorite Batman, but he knows why Bruce Wayne is the Super hero that he is. I have really grown to appreciate Grant Morrison with this book. The whole Multiverse is really fascinating to me. It made me love the DCU even more. It made me appreciate Super Hero comics more.

Bv0P9tMIgAEEQw2.jpg

Kipp

Just finished up Final Crisis. Loved it. That was an epic event! Might be my favorite event that I have ever read.

By reading Final Crisis, I have figured out that Grant Morrison writes a genius Bruce Wayne. He may not write my favorite Batman, but he knows why Bruce Wayne is the Super hero that he is. I have really grown to appreciate Grant Morrison with this book. The whole Multiverse is really fascinating to me. It made me love the DCU even more. It made me appreciate Super Hero comics more.

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Do you have any more Morrison reading planned now that you're on a Morrison kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom