• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second filler issue for Superior Foes, 11 I think, is the worst book I've read all year. I only stick to a few books regularly but man, that issue was so depressing. It's like the creative team didn't know that the book is about the Sinister Six... Or that it's a comedy. What a mess.

I've been making progress on my Batman TAS rewatch. I just finished up volume 2. Some of the recent highlights

- the crime doctor - it's amazing the show continuously got away with making non rogue centric episodes and could once in a while do a mob centric story. This one was fun for focusing on Leslie Thompson

- Zatanna : Paul Dini sneaks Zatanna into the batman show. Albeit without magic abilities

- The mechanic: Half a Batman returns plot / half how Batman gets his vehicles

- Harley & Ivy : I might be wrong but this might be the first pairing of these two characters. Fun episode.

And after rereading Batgirl year one what episode pops up in vol3? Why the first batgirl episode! Hah what timing.

Owzers

Original Sin #7, i really hate this book. That panel with Thor was just the worst thing i can think of lately. You know which panel. It's probably worse than Sensational Comics #1.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The universe is against me. All I wanted to do today and yesterday is read tons of Doom Patrol, but both days, for a variety of reasons, it couldn't/didn't happen.
This weekend was a total flop.

Gail Simone needs to lay off all the Twitter banter and concentrate on her writing. Most of her stuff gets mediocre reviews these days.

These days? Her stuff was really solid just a few months ago. I dropped Red Sonja a couple of issues ago, so I can't speak to that. I think any downgrade in quality on Batgirl is due to the direction that Editorial was pushing her in. You don't write as well when it's shit you don't want to write.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That one book with the huge glare is Alan Moore's NEONOMICON which I've yet to see anywhere outside of Amazon. And Deadly Class, yikes am I ready for that. Sandman Overture's art is just amazing, will I be lost if I read it without having finished the original arcs? Also some random Casanova issues for a buck, The Last Broadcast #1, and Trees #2 and #4. I will most likely check out next weeks shipment to see what he gets, and what sells out quickly.

Overture has spoilers but you might not even notice they are spoilers until you have reached the near the end of the original run.

Messi

These days? Her stuff was really solid just a few months ago. I dropped Red Sonja a couple of issues ago, so I can't speak to that. I think any downgrade in quality on Batgirl is due to the direction that Editorial was pushing her in. You don't write as well when it's shit you don't want to write.

All of this.

But yeah, she needs to lay off Twitter trolling and Tumblr.

Well i just made a crazy set of purchases and its all your fault. Especially tim

I just ordered the 4 Fourth World Omnibuses (yes even the 2nd volume that is hard to find)

I still have some room, and I've already planned for the rest of my sideshow statues coming out later this year. I honestly rearrange and sell off quite a bit of stuff I no longer want every couple of weeks/months. Like, today I dusted all the shelves and shifted things around to make room for incoming IST shipments. In the process I pulled out the Empowered Deluxe Editions to sell.

Very nice!! What else is in that DETOLF?

sNomj2sl.jpg

5DgpR13l.jpg

u3kwGtDl.jpg

tim1138

Gail Simone needs to lay off all the Twitter banter and concentrate on her writing. Most of her stuff gets mediocre reviews these days.

I haven't read Red Sonja, but I think her DC work has been pretty mediocre since the beginning of the N52.

gketter said:
Well i just made a crazy set of purchases and its all your fault. Especially tim

I just ordered the 4 Fourth World Omnibuses (yes even the 2nd volume that is hard to find)

Well done, I'm looking forward to talking Fourth World with you.

I haven't read Red Sonja, but I think her DC work has been pretty mediocre since the beginning of the N52.

Well done, I'm looking forward to talking Fourth World with you.

And I you. And i'm fighting off the urge of the other Kirby Omnibuses. Honestly I haven't delved into most of his work outside his Early FF work

Cheska

Damn! Sweet Hot Toys collection! Especially jealous of your Poison Ivy and Supergirl bishoujos. Those are two of the main ones I'm missing :(

Sooo, speaking of figures. Does anyone own any of the figures from the the Kotobukiya ArtFx DC collection? Some of them actually look pretty good, and they're not terribly expensive.

EDIT: Ahahaha, the Action Comics #1 sold for $3,207,852.00. Someone will be making a huge profit in a couple more years.

Ok, here's something for anyone who regrets missing out on the $75 Doom Patrol omnibus price on IST.

These are two B&N coupons that are great for omnibuses. Each of these can be used once per account.

J3R9V3X - 20% off

B7V8P9C - 15% off

On top of that, msdstc is selling $5 B&N gift cards in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for 50% off. You can apply a maximum of 3 per order.

Combining these, here are some sample prices. (Free shipping included).

Animal Man omnibus - $33.5
Doom Patrol omnibus - $74
Bone Colour one volume - $77.5
Planetary Omnibus - $33.5
Daredevil Frank Miller Omnibus - $50

That one book with the huge glare is Alan Moore's NEONOMICON which I've yet to see anywhere outside of Amazon. And Deadly Class, yikes am I ready for that. Sandman Overture's art is just amazing, will I be lost if I read it without having finished the original arcs? Also some random Casanova issues for a buck, The Last Broadcast #1, and Trees #2 and #4. I will most likely check out next weeks shipment to see what he gets, and what sells out quickly.

Do post your opinion on Neonomicon once you've read it. (Or have you already read it?).

Ok, here's something for anyone who regrets missing out on the $75 Doom Patrol omnibus price on IST.

These are two B&N coupons that are great for omnibuses. Each of these can be used once per account.

J3R9V3X - 20% off

B7V8P9C - 15% off

On top of that, msdstc is selling $5 B&N gift cards in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for 50% off. You can apply a maximum of 3 per order.

Do post your opinion on Neonomicon once you've read it. (Or have you already read it?).

I've yet to read it but I will definitely post my thoughts on it!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

J3R9V3X - 20% off

B7V8P9C - 15% off

Nice! Thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look and see if there are any other good deals to be had.

Edit: Invisibles omnibus doesn't come out to be significantly cheaper than IST. Bummer.
And the Sandman slipcase set is just outrageously priced in general on B&N, so that's a no-go.

lazygecko

Instead of cluttering up the forum with yet another Vs. thread I'll keep it to this one.

Longshot Vs. Black Cat. Who wins?

Longshot's power is basically just good luck. Black Cat's is bad luck. In the end, both basically just work to their benefit to the detriment of others in a combat situation.

Messi

Who is the the strongest in Harley and Ivy's relationship? I always assumed Ivy as she is the dominant one and its pretty clear she thinks she is better than Harley Quinn. Harley is like her pet always looking for the smallest bit of validation from her. Not surprising considering her history of dependency.

Instead of cluttering up the forum with yet another Vs. thread I'll keep it to this one.

Longshot Vs. Black Cat. Who wins?

Longshot's power is basically just good luck. Black Cat's is bad luck. In the end, both basically just work to their benefit to the detriment of others in a combat situation.

These type of questions seem to have exploded in popularity the last month. I guess it's a side effect of people being hyped over the MCU but almost all of them devolve into the same content.

Messi

These type of questions seem to have exploded in popularity the last month. I guess it's a side effect of people being hyped over the MCU but almost all of them devolve into the same content.

It usually devolves into the old chestnut 'depends on who's writing them'

The funniest aspect of it Is the OT forum generally seems to look down on comic books and superheroes but with all the quality movies it has created this weird marvel movie fanboy. And now they do all the stereotypical comic book topics but for movies.

The funniest aspect of it Is the OT forum generally seems to look down on comic books and superheroes but with all the quality movies it has created this weird marvel movie fanboy. And now they do all the stereotypical comic book topics but for movies.

Yeah it is kind of weird. There's been an awful lot of superhero topics lately in general.

I guess this is time for me to order Animal Man

JEKKI

noooooo I tried to buy Nextwave Agents of Hate trade this weekend only to discover it's out of print

;_;

now the hunt for it begins!

Boogiepop

I tried to create something a little different earlier today but for some unknown reason it got killed by a mod halfway through the second page. I put some effort into that too, and thought I had a decent idea. Feels bad :(.

Also, since people were talking about Morrison again earlier: has anyone read his Spider-man and Zoids comics? (It's slightly less crazy than I thought it was initially since it's apparently Zoids with Spider-man reprints included, but it's still crazy that there was a series with that title and Morrison worked on it.)

I just started reading Batman from the new 52 onwards due to being able to pick up Volume 1 for $28ish with the Court of the Owls mask. I enjoyed reading it, but I read online that it's a crossover event. How lost would I be if I just read the Batman books?

Also, while I'm here, is it worth it to get into the New Amazing Spiderman run? I used to read the younger age Spiderman comics like 10 years ago and the first trade of USM a few years ago and was thinking about getting into. I've heard some mixed things about it though I'm kind of in the mood to read a Spiderman series that's ongoing.

I just started reading Batman from the new 52 onwards due to being able to pick up Volume 1 for $28ish with the Court of the Owls mask. I enjoyed reading it, but I read online that it's a crossover event. How lost would I be if I just read the Batman books?
Just read the main Batman series, the tie ins are unnecessary.

Also, while I'm here, is it worth it to get into the New Amazing Spiderman run? I used to read the younger age Spiderman comics like 10 years ago and the first trade of USM a few years ago and was thinking about getting into. I've heard some mixed things about it though I'm kind of in the mood to read a Spiderman series that's ongoing.
If you are in the mood to read Spider-Man, you'll probably like it. The pace is pretty slow right now because it's setting up for the Spider-Verse event. Spider-Man 2099 is only two issues in and I'm enjoying it way more currently.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

As far as Snyder and Capullo's run goes they've set it up so that all you need to read is the mainline Batman title, anything else is just color.

When it comes to Spidey, Slott's run has been moving rather slowly since Peter's come back into the picture but it looks a lot like that's due to both tie-ing into Original Sin and setting up Spiderverse (which sounds like it's going to be amazballs). It's not bad, but it could be better.

JEKKI

Always on Unlimited if you just want it to read.
I do love me some digital comics, but from what I've heard of the story it seems to be of a certain quality that I'd love to own a actual copy of.

speaking of Unlimited tho, the Grant Morrison New X Men run is on sale at comicology.

does Marvel Unlimited make all these marvel monday sales moot?

considering only old issues ever go on sale, I'd much rather pay the annual fee and read my heart's out for a year.

reading thru Bendis Daredevil and Brubaker Cap alone would make the subscription worth it

I do love me some digital comics, but from what I've heard of the story it seems to be of a certain quality that I'd love to own a actual copy of.

speaking of Unlimited tho, the Grant Morrison New X Men run is on sale at comicology.

considering only old issues ever go on sale, I'd much rather pay the annual fee and read my heart's out for a year.

reading thru Bendis Daredevil and Brubaker Cap alone would make the subscription worth it
The reader is much better on comixology and can download more than 12 locally. MU works for volume reading or for buying the runs you'd like to read without a subscription.

this is my punisher collection so far, no idea how long its going to take me to read it all. need to get storage sorted out so i can access them easier.

Not bad!

I have the floppies for everything published after... '04? When the first Punisher flick came out, except I recently sold off all the Fraction stuff.

ReAxion

It kind of does for me. At the very least it gives me ideas of what to read since it starts a conversation about them again. But the question always is: do you want to read them in the good reader and own them forever, or do you just want to read them once maybe even twice.

ReAxion

List

• == Image ==
  • Black Science #8
  • Low #2
  • Revival #23
  • Saga #22
  • Wayward #1 (buying cuz Freeza's av)

• == Marvel ==
  • Inhuman #4
  • Original Sin #5.4
  • Silver Surfer #5

The only Marvel book I'm excited about is Silver Surfer.

JEKKI

The reader is much better on comixology and can download more than 12 locally. MU works for volume reading or for buying the runs you'd like to read without a subscription.

It kind of does for me. At the very least it gives me ideas of what to read since it starts a conversation about them again. But the question always is: do you want to read them in the good reader and own them forever, or do you just want to read them once maybe even twice.
whooo thanks! and nah I'm a once or twice guy so it sounds good!

too many comics, cant read em all, cant buy em all >_< and my decision to buy in sales is based off curiosity anyways...

ReAxion

whooo thanks! and nah I'm a once or twice guy so it sounds good!

too many comics, cant read em all, cant buy em all >_< and my decision to buy in sales is based off curiosity anyways...

If you read but dont want to buy 3 or more Marvel comics per week, MU is totally worth your money. Shitty reader be damned, it can pay itself off in a fraction of a day.

Who is the the strongest in Harley and Ivy's relationship? I always assumed Ivy as she is the dominant one and its pretty clear she thinks she is better than Harley Quinn. Harley is like her pet always looking for the smallest bit of validation from her. Not surprising considering her history of dependency.

Messi, pls. Are we really going to have this conversation? Are we going to humor your need to discuss Fifty Shades of Harley?

Everyone knows that in any D/s relationship the partners have equal power just in different ways.

So, semi serious question. You saw a movement recently to get cover credit for colorists. People will often include colorists now, when naming off the creative team (in reviews, etc). But I don't really ever see any focus on inkers or letterers in the same way. Is there a reason for this? Why has the desire to expand the creative team seems to have stalled at the inclusion of colorists?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, semi serious question. You saw a movement recently to get cover credit for colorists. People will often include colorists now, when naming off the creative team (in reviews, etc). But I don't really ever see any focus on inkers or letterers in the same way. Is there a reason for this? Why has the desire to expand the creative team seems to have stalled at the inclusion of colorists?

It's not like that everywhere, Capullo is always tweeting about how great Miki is and his name is always featured on the cover of Batman. As far as letters go it's probably because they work a lot of different books at the same time and don't have much creative input in whatever books they work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom