• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

I picked up Godzilla Cataclysm last on a whim last week and it was pretty good. I've been a big fan of the G man since watching the films with my dad when I was growing up so its cool to find a comic where all the different Kaiju are thrown together in an interesting setting.

Cheska

ComicsGAF, heading to Ikea today. What book shelves should I look at? I'm thinking maybe a shelf with at least a few rows for omnibi/hardcover size books, and a top shelf for some Hot Toys figures.

Can't recommend the Ikea Kallax/Expedit enough. Easy to put together, very sturdy, no bowing of the shelves. I've gone through a ton of bookshelves, and these by far have been my favorite.

vWe2E1il.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I picked up Godzilla Cataclysm last on a whim last week and it was pretty good. I've been a big fan of the G man since watching the films with my dad when I was growing up so its cool to find a comic where all the different Kaiju are thrown together in an interesting setting.

If you enjoyed that, I'd recommend picking up Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths by John Layman and Alberto Ponticelli. It's not the greatest comic of all time, but it's a really nice story and it's got some pretty good Ponticelli art. And, you know, Godzilla.

Can't recommend the Ikea Kallax/Expedit enough. Easy to put together, very sturdy, no bowing of the shelves. I've gone through a ton of bookshelves, and these by far have been my favorite.

I'd really like to switch to those soon. The main appeal to me is that with the smaller sections, it'd be much easier to rearrange books.
As it is now, to rearrange/reorganize books, I have to manage to move over a massive row of books just to put one little TPB away in the right spot.

Owzers

Just finished up Final Crisis. Loved it. That was an epic event! Might be my favorite event that I have ever read.

By reading Final Crisis, I have figured out that Grant Morrison writes a genius Bruce Wayne. He may not write my favorite Batman, but he knows why Bruce Wayne is the Super hero that he is. I have really grown to appreciate Grant Morrison with this book. The whole Multiverse is really fascinating to me. It made me love the DCU even more. It made me appreciate Super Hero comics more.

Did you read Johns' FC: Rogues Revenge and Legion of 3 Worlds minis? Those were good, i thought FC had the best tie-in minis out of any event so far.

Hagi

vWe2E1il.jpg

Damn you have so much stuff I want. Dat Sideshow Harley is amazing I saw it in person on Friday and pictures do not do it justice. Drake and Natasha as well!

If you enjoyed that, I'd recommend picking up Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths by John Layman and Alberto Ponticelli. It's not the greatest comic of all time, but it's a really nice story and it's got some pretty good Ponticelli art. And, you know, Godzilla.

I'll definitely look into it :)

Hard to go wrong with a giant monster story really especially when it comes to Godzilla. I need to look into that Pacific Rim book as well I loved the film and getting some more back story would be cool.

Kipp

I'll definitely look into it :)

Hard to go wrong with a giant monster story really especially when it comes to Godzilla. I need to look into that Pacific Rim book as well I loved the film and getting some more back story would be cool.

Haha yeah. It's definitely fun reading. I should check out more Godzilla comics sometime. I actually never even saw any of the movies, but it's just good fun to read giant monster comics.

Oh! Not sure how I forgot to mention it, but also, if you haven't checked out James Stokoe's Godzilla: Half-Century War, that's a must for the art alone. It's insane. The story isn't as good as in Gangsters & Goliaths, but it still acts as a good enough vehicle for the absolutely wonderful art.

Just look at this:

Messi

vWe2E1il.jpg

This is just the best collection.

That Harley Quinn statue will haunt me until the day I die.

Kipp

This is just the best collection.

That Harley Quinn statue will haunt me until the day I die.

Or it will haunt you until tomorrow when you'll give in and buy it because your weakness for Harley Quinn merchandise knows no bounds.
:p

Hagi

Haha yeah. It's definitely fun reading. I should check out more Godzilla comics sometime. I actually never even saw any of the movies, but it's just good fun to read giant monster comics.

Oh! Not sure how I forgot to mention it, but also, if you haven't checked out James Stokoe's Godzilla: Half-Century War, that's a must for the art alone. It's insane. The story isn't as good as in Gangsters & Goliaths, but it still acts as a good enough vehicle for the absolutely wonderful art.

Just look at this:

You should definitely catch some of the movies! They were a big part of my upbringing and i love them dearly. Check out the new American version if you get the chance it's quite good. When Godzilla is actually onscreen its gets pretty intense and the film on the whole looks gorgeous.

As for Half Century War I've only read the first issue and was waiting for the trade but which led me to forgetting all about it which i seem to do with books all too often. It's back on my to buy list though, Stokoe working some black magic in those pages.

Kipp

You should definitely catch some of the movies! They were a big part of my upbringing and i love them dearly. Check out the new American version if you get the chance it's quite good. When Godzilla is actually onscreen its gets pretty intense and the film on the whole looks gorgeous.

As for Half Century War I've only read the first issue and was waiting for the trade but which led me to forgetting all about it which i seem to do with books all too often. It's back on my to buy list though, Stokoe working some black magic in those pages.

Will do! I actually kind of wanted to see that in theaters, but I'm not a big movie-goer, so I didn't end up doing that. I'll definitely try to catch it when it's out on DVD though!

And nice. I hope you enjoy it when you do get around to buying the trade!

Anyone reading supreme blue rose?

So I started reading Supreme Blue Rose. I figured I should since I impulse-bought both issues so far simply because "ooh, pretty art". It's pretty captivating so far. It dips into some slightly abstract metaphysical ideas, but it's too early to form a clear picture of the plot as of yet. I'm not even all the way through issue 1, but I'm liking it. It's a gorgeous book. Yay Warren Ellis.

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Do you have any more Morrison reading planned now that you're on a Morrison kick?

I have We3 on the way from IST. I just watched that documentary linked pages back and I am going todo a reread of All-Star Superman and go in with a different understanding of Grant Morrison. His life is truly fascinating. I also want to try Doom Patrol but I'll have to wait til November to get the omnibus.

Did you read Johns' FC: Rogues Revenge and Legion of 3 Worlds minis? Those were good, i thought FC had the best tie-in minis out of any event so far.

I did not, I just bought the new edition.

Cheska

Still plenty of individual shelf spots that don't have statues to keep up the pattern. Seems like you ought to do something about that.

I don't have any more :( Some of my more expensive stuff is behind the glass, in detolf shelves. I want to find more Marvel statues that are the same scale as the DC cover girls to put on those respective shelves. I also can't put things too low, otherwise my pets will knock them over.

Let's be real here, Godzilla: The Half Century War is the only Godilla comic you need in your life.
No lies detected in this post

Well that and the issue where Godzilla goes one one one with Charles Barkley, dat shit is essential

Also, I'm away from my PC so tyre my Nigga you gotta do the honors of this week's Miller moment, or perhaps even expand it to other Ms like Moore, Milligan, Millar, or Morrison, your choice

tim1138

I have We3 on the way from IST. I just watched that documentary linked pages back and I am going todo a reread of All-Star Superman and go in with a different understanding of Grant Morrison. His life is truly fascinating. I also want to try Doom Patrol but I'll have to wait til November to get the omnibus.

I can't recommend his book, Supergods, enough. It's equal parts autobiography and a history of comics, it's a fascinating read.

You should look into some of his other non cape stuff, like Joe the Barbarian and Vimanarama.

Zombine

Banned

vWe2E1il.jpg

How you managing with space Cheska? Do you still have room for more things or are you attempting to be conservative from this point onward?

Cheska

How you managing with space Cheska? Do you still have room for more things or are you attempting to be conservative from this point onward?
I still have some room, and I've already planned for the rest of my sideshow statues coming out later this year. I honestly rearrange and sell off quite a bit of stuff I no longer want every couple of weeks/months. Like, today I dusted all the shelves and shifted things around to make room for incoming IST shipments. In the process I pulled out the Empowered Deluxe Editions to sell.

I posted this pic in FigureGaf but never for ComicGaf, figured Messi would like my Harley Quinn shelf

Very nice!! What else is in that DETOLF?

Zombine

Banned
I still have some room, and I've already planned for the rest of my sideshow statues coming out later this year. I honestly rearrange and sell off quite a bit of stuff I no longer want every couple of weeks/months. Like, today I dusted all the shelves and shifted things around to make room for incoming IST shipments. In the process I pulled out the Empowered Deluxe Editions to sell.

Very nice!! What else is in that DETOLF?

Nice! I'll have to do something similar because I'm filling up space way too quickly. Also, you'll
get a fair amount for the 1st volume of a Empowered due to it being out of print.

Half-Century War was one of the first books I read while getting back into comics. I have all the floppies, but I never bothered to get it collected. Stokoe is an incredible artist, and he really nailed what makes a good Godzilla story. It's just too bad that the new movie couldn't have balanced the Human Story and Godzilla story the way Stokoe did.

Just got back from the LCS; first visit. I personally don't like how the guy has his stuff organized. Lots of stuff just stacked about. However, I'm used to stuff being all bagged, boarded, and organized neatly because the LCS in my hometown is just fantastic. Still, I think it's the norm for most places to not bag/board everything? The place just seemed a bit messy. The back issues were just disorganized and no indication as to how sort through them. Either way, I found some great stuff and the usual, knocking some off the price happened.

That one book with the huge glare is Alan Moore's NEONOMICON which I've yet to see anywhere outside of Amazon. And Deadly Class, yikes am I ready for that. Sandman Overture's art is just amazing, will I be lost if I read it without having finished the original arcs? Also some random Casanova issues for a buck, The Last Broadcast #1, and Trees #2 and #4. I will most likely check out next weeks shipment to see what he gets, and what sells out quickly.

Kipp

So have any of you guys read the recent-ish Giffen Doom Patrol run? Is it just straight up terrible or is it decent? I'm not even halfway done with the Doom Patrol omnibus but I'm craving more.

Cool! Sounds like you got some good reading ahead!
And yes, please do get the Doom Patrol omnibus when you can. It is literally my favorite comic ever.

Half-Century War was one of the first books I read while getting back into comics. I have all the floppies, but I never bothered to get it collected. Stokoe is an incredible artist, and he really nailed what makes a good Godzilla story. It's just too bad that the new movie couldn't have balanced the Human Story and Godzilla story the way Stokoe did.

Yeah, that's one thing that really surprised me when I read both Godzilla: Half-Century War and Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths. They're both mostly human stories with a little bit of Godzilla wrecking stuff on the side. I really enjoyed and appreciated that.

frye

don't worry JC, I got this

In honour of Big Guy and Rusty's return, here's some of the opening pages from Miller and Darrow's first (and much more successful) collab Hard Boiled:

fuck. yes. Miller is probably at the funniest he'll ever be here (he tries too hard on Big Guy)

also here's a bonus Milligan page from his and Duncan Fegredo's Girl

Girl is kinda Milligan's take on/response to Morrison and Philip Bond's Kill Your Boyfriend, a comic that a lot of Morrison heads don't like (I do a bunch, and I know JC does too). Girl is smarter tho and meaner, and it's a comic that I love a lot. Uncollected of course, but hey -- Enigma's getting a reprint this fall so maybe this might too?

Kipp

don't worry JC, I got this

In honour of Big Guy and Rusty's return, here's some of the opening pages from Miller and Darrow's first (and much more successful) collab Hard Boiled:

fuck. yes. Miller is probably at the funniest he'll ever be here (he tries too hard on Big Guy)

Hot damn. I still really need to read Hard Boiled.

phoenixyz

Barely-still-sunday-List:

Batman Eternal #21
Batman/Superman #13
Harley Quinn #10
Secret Origins #5

Low #2
The Manhattan Projects #23
Outcast #3
Saga #22
Wayward #1 (<- probably)

Tradewaiting Black Science.

That's a fine spot but you should still check out Welcome Back, Frank, probably before MAX. You don't have to but WBF is SO good
Ok, thanks for the recommendation.

Finished reading Batgirl Year one. I remember enjoying it when it originally came out and like it more now. Great story and amazing art.

Edit: It also underscores how poorly utilized babs intelligence was utilized in Gails new 52 run. But then I've always felt Dixon is a much better writer of Barbara then Gail.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I read Batgirl Year One a little while back, such a great little seies. The art is so charming and it's a lovely take on the character. I'm hoping that we get a similar feel for the new Batgirl run.

Easy frontrunner for the worst comic I've read all year. It's still fresh in my mind but, I'm not coming up with anything I liked less at this moment.
Yea Simone doesn't write a good Wonder Woman. Her previous run was disappointing. She's so hit or miss. Great on secret six and red Sonja. Good with BoP. Okay with supes. Poor with WW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom