• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Cause inkers just trace and letterers just cut and paste.

dumb

So, semi serious question. You saw a movement recently to get cover credit for colorists. People will often include colorists now, when naming off the creative team (in reviews, etc). But I don't really ever see any focus on inkers or letterers in the same way. Is there a reason for this? Why has the desire to expand the creative team seems to have stalled at the inclusion of colorists?

mmm, one answer is that it's easier for people not trained in art to recognize what constitutes as "good" colouring (especially now that we've gotten over the early/mid 2000's obsession with computer gradients for the most part and have that to contrast to) than it is to recognize what's good inking or good lettering (and really, "good" lettering should strive to be as unobtrusive as possible, it's only when you're doing really exceptional stuff guys like Workman/Bruzenak/Klein/Orzechowski were doing that you stand out).

As for inkers: the industry seems to have been moving away from dedicated inkers for a while now (with the exception of DC with dudes like Glapion/Miki on Capullo, Prado on Reis, and, of course, Klaus Motherfucking Janson on JRJR). In the meantime, the role of the colourist has unarguably eclipsed that of the inker in terms of maintaining a consistent visual aesthetic in recent years, especially at Marvel with their double shipping and rotating artists (c.f. Bettie Breitweiser's brilliant work on Captain America/Winter Soldier and Dean White on Uncanny X-Force v1) so it was disconcerting to see DC still not crediting them when pretty much everyone else did. Besides that: inkers already got cover credits and royalties, remember?

Also: Ales Kot and Kieron GIllen comics? They credit letterers on covers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just started reading Batman from the new 52 onwards due to being able to pick up Volume 1 for $28ish with the Court of the Owls mask. I enjoyed reading it, but I read online that it's a crossover event. How lost would I be if I just read the Batman books?

Also, while I'm here, is it worth it to get into the New Amazing Spiderman run? I used to read the younger age Spiderman comics like 10 years ago and the first trade of USM a few years ago and was thinking about getting into. I've heard some mixed things about it though I'm kind of in the mood to read a Spiderman series that's ongoing.

You would be less lost by just reading Batman. Tie ins muddy the waters. Yay comics!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shutter is awesome. I love crazy amalgam cities where crazy shit happens with aboslute seriousness.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Has anybody read Gotham Central? How is it?

It's wonderful. I was just talking about this yesterday to (at) my wife - if you're interest, consider picking up Rucka's run on Detective Comics too. I just chewed through most of it yesterday and it's incredible, you can really see Rucka building the GCPD ahead of starting the series. Dealing with Gordon getting old, introducing the new commish and characters like Allen, Projcnow etc. really great stuff, and the bodyguard arc is way more fun than I remember it (and spins off into Rucka's Omac Project and Checkmate stories).

So basically I'm saying YES to Gotham Central, but also yes to exploring the other, less talked about Batbooks of that era.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Gotham Central is on my shortlist of things to buy soon. Although, it's been on that shortlist for a while now...

noooooo I tried to buy Nextwave Agents of Hate trade this weekend only to discover it's out of print

;_;

now the hunt for it begins!

Man, I got so lucky. I got it "used" (in perfect condition) for $10 just a couple months ago.

Something about a Quitely doing the cover for a collected Nocenti Catwoman run and how people will read the 1000 page volume using a newly redrawn position guide incorporating a... ahem... pelvic book stand.

Finishing reading Ennis Fury Max titles, My War Gone By is surprisingly solid, but... ye gods, when people say that Ennis Castle is a kill junkie, they really have no idea what they're talking about. Fury is absolutely insane. At least Frank lies to himself about why he does it.

Shame it would be absurdly hard to keep a Fury Max book running, could certainly use a lot more of this.

For some reason, this is the very first imagesearch result for fury max

tumblr_lzr1dxDkle1qdachco1_1280-540x398.png

ThyComicList:

DC COMICS:
BATMAN ETERNAL #21
BATMAN / SUPERMAN #13
BODIES #2* (maybe)
SUPERMAN #34

IDW:
T.M.N.T. TURTLES IN TIME #3

IMAGE:
BLACK SCIENCE #8
LOW #2
SAGA #22
WAYWARD #1* (maybe)

MARVEL:
CYCLOPS #5

VALIANT:
RAI #4

Wow,, only one Marvel book and that's not even a forsure buy.
Is everyone done with all that Cycolps hype?

Messi

Messi, pls. Are we really going to have this conversation? Are we going to humor your need to discuss Fifty Shades of Harley?

Everyone knows that in any D/s relationship the partners have equal power just in different ways.

I actually meant physically stronger

Sorry. I should have known better than to make a joke that wasn't a well trod ComicGAF meme. Next time I'll be sure to limit them to such subjects as Quitely's potato faces, Noncenti's Catwoman and Omnibus reading positions.

My Nocenti Catwoman talk was not a meme. It was me trying to get any enjoyment out of one of my favorites getting character assassinated. I just couldn't drop it. :(

I'll give you the potato faces.

phoenixyz

It's wonderful. I was just talking about this yesterday to (at) my wife - if you're interest, consider picking up Rucka's run on Detective Comics too. I just chewed through most of it yesterday and it's incredible, you can really see Rucka building the GCPD ahead of starting the series. Dealing with Gordon getting old, introducing the new commish and characters like Allen, Projcnow etc. really great stuff, and the bodyguard arc is way more fun than I remember it (and spins off into Rucka's Omac Project and Checkmate stories).

So basically I'm saying YES to Gotham Central, but also yes to exploring the other, less talked about Batbooks of that era.

It seems they are collected in all kinds of crossover books (Batman: New Gotham, Bruce Wayne: Fugitive). Does it even make sense to read them back to back? I also haven't read No Man's Land yet which seems to happen right beforehand.

God tier.
It's a must buy.
Well, that's some unanimous feedback :D

Just read the first small story in Dark Horse Presents #1: The Big Guy and Rusty The Boy Robot.
That was a cool little story, Darrow is awesome.

Dark Horse writes in the beginning of the book "This is the beginning of a monster year at Dark Horse for Geof Darrow. He's slated for a series of amazing projects"

Anyone hear anything about what he'll be working on yet??

VeeP

So, the new Futures End is suppose to tell us who the Masked Superman is. Any guesses?

Possible Spoilers:

I thought it might be
Shazam based on the cover. It was Superman and lots of lightning.

Gawge

Can I continue shouting my Wicked + Divine (WicDiv) theories into the void?

I first said it here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126456782&postcount=4393

But anyway. My
"Laura did it"
theory.

I'm still not sold on it. But please turn your attention to the last page of #1.
Luci is being dragged away with a confused look on her face. Directly over her right shoulder is Amaterasu (described in #3 as "sappy", crying at free-range egg adverts etc...), directly over her left shoulder is Laura. Amaterasu dressed in a white dress, Laura in a black (okay, maybe grey) T-shirt.

If I may start "posturing with a Wikipedia summary's understanding of myth", the traditional angel/demon dynamic has the angel on the right shoulder, and the demon on the left. Maybe this is a coincidence - but then again - this is WicDiv, and the shoulders belong to Lucifer...

Nowhere in the narration in #2 or #3 does it seem to rule out this theory (that Laura caused the explosion of the Judge's head). Of course Laura in her dialogue with other characters is searching for whodunnit, but as Laura herself says about lying, "people do that".

So, Laura is in the courtroom. She has the opportunity in the sense that IF she somehow has powers, she could have done it. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything to completely disprove that she did it. (This isn't looking like a very good theory).

Regarding whether Laura has powers, if this theory is correct, then she clearly is not somehow harbouring some secret undercover God agenda. She genuinely loves the Gods, and also, when she is Googling about them, it's not exactly like she has a vast knowledge of the secrets of the Pantheon. She has to look at Wikipedia for Ananke etc...

In #1 there are some possible allusions to Laura being a God. With the 1-2-3-4, and a possible moment where she is the last to pass out, and Luci wakes her up with "Aren't you the oh-so-special one". But if she does have the power to blow up the head of a judge, she doesn't seem to know it. As I mentioned before, this could be something to do with the strange nature of becoming a God, what part of you is the God? How much of the old 'you' exists? There could be some sort of internal struggle here.

Okay, so i'm talking myself out of this. The one thing I come back to is that last page of #1, "But apart from me, who was going to believe her?". Amaterasu is right there, why wouldn't Amaterasu also believe her? Why does everybody, including Luci, flinch/dive/recoil when the head goes boom, but Laura is there with hands-over-mouth, in a pose that could be saying "WTF did I just do?".

I'm undecided on whether this theory has any merit. There are some moments in #1 that seem a little suspect to me, as if they are carefully crafted to leave Laura as our innocent narrator, but read in a different way can mean something completely different. BUT it does maybe seem a little 'much'. What I am probably picking up on mainly is the idea of Laura's obsessive fandom being close to making her a God anyway? A lot of the comic is about this fandom - and whilst Laura probably doesn't actually have the power to blow up people's heads, she is still special, and often sees her fandom as special. So when she puts herself in the position of the only one who is going to believe Luci, it doesn't necessarily have to be in the "i'm the only one who will believe her, because I did it" way, but more that, she is committed and believes so much more in Luci and anybody else possibly could?

So, maybe I have convinced myself that this theory is wrong, but I have done it now.

So, the new Futures End is suppose to tell us who the Masked Superman is. Any guesses?

Possible Spoilers:

I thought it might be

I think that's the too obvious one. I think it could be an Earth 2 character.
why would Shazam who is a character and established hero in his own right, take on the mantle of Superman. Maybe it's a Superboy of some sort, or that clone from the end of Forever Evil that Luthor's scientists say is going to take 5 years to mature.

Lombaszko

Possible Spoilers:

I thought it might be

That's been one of the few things keeping me reading Future's End. Your theory makes sense too!
Masked Superman's dialogue makes him sound like a kid trying to act like a grownup. Part of me was hoping Superman suffered some kind of shell shock from the Earth 2 War, but Shazam is more likely.

Sorry. I should have known better than to make a joke that wasn't a well trod ComicGAF meme. Next time I'll be sure to limit them to such subjects as Quitely's potato faces, Noncenti's Catwoman and Omnibus reading positions.

Hey, leave the omnibus reading position out of this. It's still pure.

I mean, those things are big and unwieldy. If someone has a comfortable reading position for reading on a bed I would love to see it. I've settled for just sitting on my bed with the book laying in front of me, but when I want to lay down I'm kind of stuck.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's awesome, until you come to the last few issues.

It gets sucked in some big DC event and just kinda ends there, leaving you angry and dissapointed at how DC handled one of it's better series.

Kinda.

Without going into details, I think the segue from Gotham Central into Infinite Crisis then 52 is a really fantastic one. It feels like as the series ends the character journey continues, as all comics do.

Course, I'd LOVE a new Gotham Central comic. Or even a Daily Planet Live comic focusing on Perry White, Lois and Jimmy Olsen.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It seems they are collected in all kinds of crossover books (Batman: New Gotham, Bruce Wayne: Fugitive). Does it even make sense to read them back to back? I also haven't read No Man's Land yet which seems to happen right beforehand.

Well, that's some unanimous feedback :D

You could definitely go right in at GC and get a great story from start to end, maybe just save the Detective run till when you've finished up and want more. I don't really like Fugitive/Murderer as stories (ran way too long IMO), but the buildup beforehand is really really good, the Tec stuff especially. IIRC Brubaker was writing Batman at the time as well. Or was it Vaughan?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm finishing up Bryan Lee O'Malley's Seconds tonite, but man, I wish his writing would catch up to his art. The constant fucking narration detailing exactly what's going on in a small and easily understood panel is sometimes difficult to choke down, although the narration occasionally interacting directly with Katie works well enough, and is kind of funny.

Rafa, let us combine our Walmart/Sams Club lifestyles and co-write our way to comic super-stardom! I am afraid the Walmart lifestyle bears too much weight for one man.

Messi

What was up with that 3 1/2 hour period where no one posted today? Step it up folks. We would stay #1 thread on gaf with an attitude like that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What was up with that 3 1/2 hour period where no one posted today? Step it up folks. We would stay #1 thread on gaf with an attitude like that.

I would have posted but I started reading my Annihilation Omnibus :/ I hope thats an good execuse...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom