• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all remember hoe awesome Captian Britian was

draculadoom.jpg

Just finished the Doom Patrol issue with Monsieur Mallah and The Brain, and that was brilliant. It managed to be genuinely hilarious and the pacing was absolutely perfect.

Morrison :bow

Zombine

Banned
What was up with that 3 1/2 hour period where no one posted today? Step it up folks. We would stay #1 thread on gaf with an attitude like that.

How am I supposed to afford all these books and comic statues and shit if I didn't work during the day?

howard-the-duck-pop-vinyl.jpg

Oh god yes all over my face.

You guys weren't kidding about Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run. that was some great stuff.

Now im reading Superior Spider-Man and Remender's Venom.(started this mostly because I loved Uncanny X-Force so much)

You guys weren't kidding about Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run. that was some great stuff.

Now im reading Superior Spider-Man and Remender's Venom.(started this mostly because I loved Uncanny X-Force so much)

Remender's Venom is excellent!

Once you finish his last issue (I think 22?), stop. The rest after that by Cullen Bunn is lame (IMO).

If you like X-Force, check out Uncanny Avengers. It serves as a continuation

Finally got my library card today. Took out Batman & Son, The Black Mirror, Astro City Life in the Big City, V for Vendetta and Top 10 collections. The librarian then pointed me to a small section of "newer stuff" and recommended Sweet Tooth and commented that everyone there read and loved it. The library is tiny but the benefit is interlibrary loans, friends. They can make or break a trade reader. I can no willingly take out all the Sandman volumes and fucking Moore Swamp Thing volumes and go from there.

I haven't had a library card since 3rd grade I'd wager.

Finally got my library card today. Took out Batman & Son, The Black Mirror, Astro City Life in the Big City, V for Vendetta and Top 10 collections. The librarian then pointed me to a small section of "newer stuff" and recommended Sweet Tooth and commented that everyone there read and loved it. The library is tiny but the benefit is interlibrary loans, friends. They can make or break a trade reader. I can no willingly take out all the Sandman volumes and fucking Moore Swamp Thing volumes and go from there.

If it is your first time reading Life in the Big City and Top 10, you are in for a huge treat.

tim1138

Sweet Tooth is amazing, your library staff has great taste.

fauxtrot

Banned
So I finally got around to reading Heck (by Zander Cannon), and boy was I satisfied with it. I'm over a year late to the party on this one, but I doubt I'm the only one that still hadn't read it... and if you haven't, you absolutely should. There are some faint Hellboy elements to the story and even in some of the art (especially the written sound effects), but that's just the Mignola stan in me. It is very much its own unique tale, waiting to knock you over the head with feelings you weren't quite ready for, or even expecting.

Heck stars Hector Hammerskjold and his gauze-wrapped sidekick Elliot, who have started a business helping families clarify discrepancies related to the estates of their deceased relatives by trekking through the nine circles of Hell and getting answers from the dead themselves. Most descriptions (mine very much included) don't do this book justice, as the tone isn't a swashbuckling adventure nor a wacky tongue-in-cheek romp through the underworld. Heck is a story ultimately about relationships (father-son, husband-wife, friendship), morality, and what it means to be a hero. Its "comic-strip" format and art style did not prepare me for the emotional resonance the story brought forth. Manly tears, guys.

The art is deceptively simple (which I mean in the best way possible), so if it doesn't catch your eye, I would implore you to give the book a chance anyway. I was hesitant to pick it up because I wasn't initially a fan of its visual style, but within a dozen pages or so, I really began to appreciate it, and by the end, I was completely sold. As Heck and Elliot get deeper into the circles of Hell, the atmosphere begins to seep into you, and I could feel myself filling with dread and anxiety. There is a specific scene (
involving Geryon
) that had me so unsettled that I was afraid to turn the page. I'm still impressed with how well the script and art worked together, in true synergistic fashion. I bought this during Comixology's Top Shelf SDCC sale, but I'll be buying a physical copy to put on my bookshelf.

Obligatory 10/10. Read it!

$9.99 at Comixology
$14.95 at In Stock Trades

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Special delivery today from the postman.

Apologies for tthe awful nighttime photos. Also Black Widows stare makes it almost impossible to get a good photo.

Photos don't do her justice

Bonus
That Scarlett dummy looks mad creepy.

So I finally got around to reading Heck (by Zander Cannon), and boy was I satisfied with it. I'm over a year late to the party on this one, but I doubt I'm the only one that still hadn't read it... and if you haven't, you absolutely should. There are some faint Hellboy elements to the story and even in some of the art (especially the written sound effects), but that's just the Mignola stan in me. It is very much its own unique tale, waiting to knock you over the head with feelings you weren't quite ready for, or even expecting.

Heck stars Hector Hammerskjold and his gauze-wrapped sidekick Elliot, who have started a business helping families clarify discrepancies related to the estates of their deceased relatives by trekking through the nine circles of Hell and getting answers from the dead themselves. Most descriptions (mine very much included) don't do this book justice, as the tone isn't a swashbuckling adventure nor a wacky tongue-in-cheek romp through the underworld. Heck is a story ultimately about relationships (father-son, husband-wife, friendship), morality, and what it means to be a hero. Its "comic-strip" format and art style did not prepare me for the emotional resonance the story brought forth. Manly tears, guys.

The art is deceptively simple (which I mean in the best way possible), so if it doesn't catch your eye, I would implore you to give the book a chance anyway. I was hesitant to pick it up because I wasn't initially a fan of its visual style, but within a dozen pages or so, I really began to appreciate it, and by the end, I was completely sold. As Heck and Elliot get deeper into the circles of Hell, the atmosphere begins to seep into you, and I could feel myself filling with dread and anxiety. There is a specific scene (
involving Geryon
) that had me so unsettled that I was afraid to turn the page. I'm still impressed with how well the script and art worked together, in true synergistic fashion. I bought this during Comixology's Top Shelf SDCC sale, but I'll be buying a physical copy to put on my bookshelf.

Obligatory 10/10. Read it!

$9.99 at Comixology
$14.95 at In Stock Trades

If I could recommend to digital readers, get the complete run of Double Barrel instead. All of Heck plus all of Kevin Cannon's far Arden all in a gorgeously designed anthology series with tons of incredible bonus strips and a phenomenally detailed behind the scenes look at how to make comics.

fauxtrot

Banned
If I could recommend to digital readers, get the complete run of Double Barrel instead. All of Heck plus all of Kevin Cannon's far Arden all in a gorgeously designed anthology series with tons of incredible bonus strips and a phenomenally detailed behind the scenes look at how to make comics.

https://www.comixology.com/Double-Barrel/bundle/770

Is this what you're talking about? It's the same price as Heck by itself ($9.99)!

tim1138

Special delivery today from the postman.

Apologies for tthe awful nighttime photos. Also Black Widows stare makes it almost impossible to get a good photo.

Photos don't do her justice

Bonus

Holy shit that Black Widow is creepy. It's like she's going to devour my soul.

TEJ

after reading batman and son, damian became my new fav comic character

is grant morrisons batman and robin run worth it?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Less creepy?

The stare looks into your soul

And yes, I know I need to cut my nails before you mention it. Damn.

Her domepiece is too big and his is too small. How will you accept these adult figurines with such imperfect faces?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This thread man... more and more creepy shit. One day we'll wake up and it'll be in the Off-Topic Community ghetto.

---

I read Lazarus, Vol 2 over the weekend and enjoyed the expansion of the world. I'm hoping we'll see those characters moving forward and keep getting their alternate perspective. It's good to have a view outside of the Carlyle family bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom