• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lombaszko

All the Morrison talk this last week caused me to order Seven Soldiers, Joe the Barbarian, and We3 (which I've read but only have floppy issue 1). Gotta fill up my, "Grant Morrison ONLY longbox."

All the Morrison talk this last week caused me to order Seven Soldiers, Joe the Barbarian, and We3 (which I've read but only have floppy issue 1). Gotta fill up my, "Grant Morrison ONLY longbox."

You know, I wasn't a huge fan of Joe the Barbarian. The other two are amazeballs, though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's what I've heard, I was digging what Sean Murphy was drawing for The Wake so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Joe the Barbarian is solid, but it treads some similar ground to I Kill Giants and that one is absolutely stellar. I Kill Giants hits the emotional core better.

This week's IST has arrived. I've read Manhunter when it came out monthly but its good to have it all collected in trades. Plus being a huge MGS fan I couldn't pass up Wood's art in a big deluxe trade while IST was running that extra moving sale.

X6ocMWq.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only one here that has read Manhunter? Its a great and underrated series

I have a question, I wasnt around for the n52 launch. What I wanted to know is, did they have some type of event or something that transitioned into the launch or was it pretty much one day, old DCU, then the next day, new DCU?

What were Grant Morrison's opinion on the n52? Other big writers?

I have a question, I wasnt around for the n52 launch. What I wanted to know is, did they have some type of event or something that transitioned into the launch or was it pretty much one day, old DCU, then the next day, new DCU?

Yea, it was the Flashpoint event

This week's IST has arrived. I've read Manhunter when it came out monthly but its good to have it all collected in trades. Plus being a huge MGS fan I couldn't pass up Wood's art in a big deluxe trade while IST was running that extra moving sale.

Please tell me I'm not the only one here that has read Manhunter? Its a great and underrated series

Ohhh I'm so jealous. I really want that MGS Deluxe collection. Let us know how it is!

tim1138

Flashpoint - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint_(comics)

I really don't remember any creators commenting on it, other than toeing the company line.

frye

August was a 5 week month that year and DC published only two comics. Flashpoint #5 and Justice League #1 came out on the same day.

99% chance Morrison doesn't like the New 52, based on the fact that he doesn't even like CoIE. Geoff Johns was apparently opposed to it at first when Didio and Lee told him about it.

Yea I wasn't planning on getting it until i saw it in person when i was statue shopping. Hell i'm probably one of the 5 people that bought the digital comic interaction dealy on PSP!

Fun stuff

Yea I have a few of the individual issues but man, to have it all in a nice hardcover would be fantastic. Ashley Wood art, hng

Flashpoint was the end of the old DCU.

I don't remember what the various writers were talking about at the time though. I did go to SDCC that year and I remember a lot of them seemed pretty enthusiastic at one of the New 52 panels I was at. Of course, that's to be expected since they were writing for DC but still!

tim1138

Manhunter is pretty good, I love how much of a screw up Kate is in her civilian life.

I've been thinking about the Marvel NOW titles. I kinda love them (currently reading Punisher, Black Widow, Daredevil, Spectacular Foes, Secret Avengers, Moon Knight, and Hawkeye, with some more on my list).

But I'm surprised that there's no Ant-Man title! Especially with the movie coming up. Are Scott Lang, Pym, and Wasp still alive?

I would love to read a high-stakes superhero crime heist comic as their gonna try with the movie.

It'd be like... SUPERHERO LEVERAGE

le_16332_2745_r-500x331.jpg

The bipolar mastermind with a dark past. The grounded, peppy wife. The criminal seeking redemption along for the ride.

Joe the Barbarian is solid, but it treads some similar ground to I Kill Giants and that one is absolutely stellar. I Kill Giants hits the emotional core better.
Joe Kelly needs to come back to comics, maybe bring a golden age of Spider-Man or another creator owned work.

You might be. I've heard of it, but never got around to the reading of it.

Alright here is the synopsis. There has been numerous different incarnations of Manhunter over the years on DC, but the one I'll focus on is the latest version that hung out on the fringes of the DC comic line.

Manhunter_KateSpencer.jpg

The story is about Kate Spencer, who is kind of a mix of Punisher and Daredevil. Kate is a prosecutor who attempts to put away villians and bad guys, but when they slip through the cracks she gets fed up, raids the police evidence locker with an assortment of gear and goes off to kill the villains. She's tough, a smoker (trying to quit), prone to a quick temper, and is also a single mom with a young son. Once she embarks on the journey she gets into all sorts of various adventures and has a number of unforeseen consequences for her punisher like actions. She starts to build up a crew, and later on she started to join Birds of Prey.

At one point midway through, DC cancelled the series but fans (ala spider-girl) organized and convinced them to continue the series. Later on after it was canned, Kate had backup features in Batman: Streets of Gotham

Tizoc

Yo~
I've been hoping she'd appear as a playable character in Injustice when it was announced haha. Another series I needed to re-read.

Hagi

:(

They aren't good pictures. They are coming from a phone camera.

Its not your camera, even in professional photos Natasha looks like she's trying to steal my soul with her dead eyes. Their face sculpts are getting so much better though just compare her to the Iron Man 2 version, yikes.

Just wrapped up DnA's GotG and it was a fun adventure overall. If I had the money, I would just want to dive into everything cosmic marvel. But I don't so I will have to settle for this little fix after becoming a fan from the movie.

Now! Time for 1300 pages of DC's B-list characters.

Bv7RkBWIEAAmcN6.jpg

Messi

Its not your camera, even in professional photos Natasha looks like she's trying to steal my soul with her dead eyes. Their face sculpts are getting so much better though just compare her to the Iron Man 2 version, yikes.

She totally has a dead eye look. Thor does not have that look. It's odd. Tony looks cool though.

Just wrapped up DnA's GotG and it was a fun adventure overall. If I had the money, I would just want to dive into everything cosmic marvel. But I don't so I will have to settle for this little fix after becoming a fan from the movie.

Now! Time for 1300 pages of DC's B-list characters
Man JSA was sooo awesome. One of johns best runs and that series along with starman made me go from liking DC universe to loving it. The history, the legacy. The characters. Man, watch as he singlehandedly resurrects black Adam into elite tier status

Man JSA was sooo awesome. One of johns best runs and that series along with starman made me go from liking DC universe to loving it. The history, the legacy. The characters. Man, watch as he singlehandedly resurrects black Adam into elite tier status

Can't wait, I picked it up a few weeks ago but put it back on the shelf because I got a PS4 game and it dominated my life for a few weeks. Now I'm on the reading kick again.

tim1138

Now! Time for 1300 pages of DC's B-list characters.

Bv7RkBWIEAAmcN6.jpg

Enjoy, it is phenomenal.
Easily the best team book work Johns has ever done.

Coloring is harder than it looks. I really want a Surface now... it'd make it so much easier!

A surface? I think everyone I know that does digital work does it on a cintiq/intuos.

I'm actually practicing some coloring right now. Here's the end result.

I finished up reading the first vol of Edmonson's Black Widow. This isn't in danger of getting canceled is it? I really enjoyed this take on the character.

finally finished Locke and Key

fucking comics man...

after reading batman and son, damian became my new fav comic character

is grant morrisons batman and robin run worth it?

hell yes

I always wanted to get those Manhunter books, I liked the backups in Streets of Gotham

I'm starting it tonight in bed. As I'm looking at my shelf, I saw my recent purchase "I was the Cat". I really liked the book and just wanted to share just a random page that spoils nothing that shows off the art.

Bv7X9d3IYAAMXQb.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished the Doom Patrol issue with Monsieur Mallah and The Brain, and that was brilliant. It managed to be genuinely hilarious and the pacing was absolutely perfect.

Morrison :bow

Right!? Man, that issue was my favorite ever.

Heeeeeeeeeere comes Daredevil!

I'm gonna read Volume 1 now, I'm hoping for awesomeness.

It's so amazing. You're in for a real treat.
...I still really need to read the vol 2 OHC that's been sitting on my shelf for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom