• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
52 is great fun. Also look into secret six.

And Identity Crisis is actually meant to be read before Infinite Crisis.
A lot of people really like 52, so if you're interested in it, the 52 omnibus may be worth it. Final Crisis is definitely worth it if you're getting into all these Crisis events. Not least because you can have the full event (without the offshoot miniseries) for just $10.

Thanks. I added Identity Crisis and Final Crisis to my Amazon wish list. I'll get them for sure.

Tell me a little more about the 52 Omni. I read the description about it, but it's still a little confusing. Is it another DC "event". Should I read it before Final Crisis? I guess I'm just confused about what the omnibus really is. I read the description for the Zero New 52 Omni, and I don't care for a bunch of origin stories Omni.

So this is tricky, because it depends on what sort of collector/reader you are. If you are set in your ways and only want a few books, a 6ft shelf is probably all you need for books and your toys.

If you plan on expanding your collection, prepare for a world of hurt. Certain omnibi, library editions, and hardcovers are the size of multiple books, and it can add up fast.

From the end of July until today, I completely filled up an entire smaller shelf in a month.
A lot of people like these Kallax (formerly called Expedit) shelves, especially for oversized hardcover collections. And they're just big enough to perfectly fit Absolute editions as well.

They come in different numbers of squares and different colors, too, that's just a link to one of the few variations.

Can't recommend the Ikea Kallax/Expedit enough. Easy to put together, very sturdy, no bowing of the shelves. I've gone through a ton of bookshelves, and these by far have been my favorite.

vWe2E1il.jpg

Thanks a bunch. I checked out the Kallax shelves yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the $140, ~5ft tall version. My current collection would probably take up 2 rows, and it'll take me a solid 1yr+ to fill up the rest. Really nice, sturdy shelves.

And yeah, my collection is only going to continue to grow.

Oh, funny story at work today. I walk back in the Dr's office to cover for a coworker who went on break. There was patients in the waiting room talking and I heard this couple talking in a real heavy accent.

Now I just watched the Grant Morrison documentary yesterday so I was 99% sure these people were Scotish. I politely asked them what their accent was and sure nuff they were from Scotland. I told them about the documentary and we had a cool little discussion about Grant, Scotland, and some of the content of the doc. Pretty cool.

Tizoc

Heeeeeeeeeere comes Daredevil!

Daredevil-by-Mark-Waid-Vol.-1.jpg

I'm gonna read Volume 1 now, I'm hoping for awesomeness.

Seriously? Daredevil's my fav. Marvel book atm, and has been recommended a number of times in the past, should've gotten on the bandwagon early, but get ready for fun and feels.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, funny story at work today. I walk back in the Dr's office to cover for a coworker who went on break. There was patients in the waiting room talking and I heard this couple talking in a real heavy accent.

Now I just watched the Grant Morrison documentary yesterday so I was 99% sure these people were Scotish. I politely asked them what their accent was and sure nuff they were from Scotland. I told them about the documentary and we had a cool little discussion about Grant, Scotland, and some of the content of the doc. Pretty cool.

They actually knew about Morrison? That's pretty awesome.

Thanks. I added Identity Crisis and Final Crisis to my Amazon wish list. I'll get them for sure.

Tell me a little more about the 52 Omni. I read the description about it, but it's still a little confusing. Is it another DC "event". Should I read it before Final Crisis? I guess I'm just confused about what the omnibus really is. I read the description for the Zero New 52 Omni, and I don't care for a bunch of origin stories Omni.
52 is the event that happens immediately after infinite crisis. It took DCs top writers (Waid, Rucka, Morrison, and Johns) and they crafted a story that came out weekly and was about a number of lower tier super heroes and characters following them in the year after infinite crisis (the rest of the line did a one year jump). The funny thing is it started out and was billed as a year long, pseudo real time telling of a number of stories. But part way through the writers seemed to scrap that idea and started doing their own thing that worked out much better. It's not really about origin stories but more of, what happens when the big heroes are out of the picture for a year? It was the first weekly comic series that I recall at this scale and though DC has tried a couple other times after the success of 52, it's is the only one that worked.

Batman eternal looks like the first one since that gets to 52s level

Tell me a little more about the 52 Omni. I read the description about it, but it's still a little confusing. Is it another DC "event". Should I read it before Final Crisis? I guess I'm just confused about what the omnibus really is. I read the description for the Zero New 52 Omni, and I don't care for a bunch of origin stories.

52is a DC comics story that deals with a bunch of normally-minor characters taking more central roles in the universe because the trinity were put out of commission by the end of infinite crisis. It was a weekly book lasting for one year. That's what they got their name from. . It does a tiny bit of infinite crisis followup stuff but gaf mostly recommends it because we enjoy the story it tells on its own. It was released before as 4 small trades but came out as a big omnibus recently. It's not an origin story at all, just a fun story about a collection of lesser-known heroes.

It's not an "event"in the sense of a-list heroes teaming up to fight done big bad guy .that theaters the universe. I guess it does give a tiny bit of world-building info though. The only thing it contributes as background knowledge for final crisis is very small. It is spoilered here
the motivate comes back. The dcu got cut down to one universe in a previous event.
there is another book that happens right before final crisis called countdown, but nobody ever recommends it because it want very good. Final crisis is super confusing without it but it's still really really word even with it. I read final crisis 3 times before even trying to read countdown. Countdown bored me;i love fc. It's not necessarily needed.

About the zero month new 52 omnibus:
the new fifty two is a separate thing dc did. They rebooted their universe and decided on that name for the process because they wanted to have 52 monthly books in the new universe at a time. They did a thing with those books where every story got an issue number zero. It was either origin story stuff or back-story stuff in general. They put all of those in one omnibus even though the stories don't relate to each other. I guess it is intended as a collectors item. It sounds like you were looking at this omnibus, not the story 52 that comes after infinite crisis.

Yes, in case you're wondering, these stories and books do have verypoorly chosen titles.

Nudull

Banned
Can't recommend the Ikea Kallax/Expedit enough. Easy to put together, very sturdy, no bowing of the shelves. I've gone through a ton of bookshelves, and these by far have been my favorite.

vWe2E1il.jpg

Wow, you're a lifesaver Cheska. I'll keep this in mind, I've been meaning to get new shelves. :)

PsychBat!

Banned
Seriously? Daredevil's my fav. Marvel book atm, and has been recommended a number of times in the past, should've gotten on the bandwagon early, but get ready for fun and feels.
Samnee is amazing. I also feel regret for not getting in to Waid's Daredevil sooner.

Just finished Morrison's "The Mystery Play"...think I need a night to absorb what I just read. You could tell it was very deliberate; plotted perfectly but unlike anything I've read in graphic novel form. It's quite short for a one-shot graphic novel[la] but ebbs and flows beautifully. Very liturgical and allegorical. If you love Morrison, you've got to seek this out.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
What's the general consensus on the best Daredevil run? Only thing I've really ever read was Man Without Fear when I was a wee lad.

Also, getting back into Marvel, what's good the last year or so? I've read Infinity already, about to crack into Superior Spiderman. Anything else you guys would suggest? I prefer dark/gritty/depressing over goofy and fun but I loves me some Marvel Cosmic.

Thanks!

What's the general consensus on the best Daredevil run? Only thing I've really ever read was Man Without Fear when I was a wee lad.

Also, getting back into Marvel, what's good the last year or so? I've read Infinity already, about to crack into Superior Spiderman. Anything else you guys would suggest? I prefer dark/gritty/depressing over goofy and fun but I loves me some Marvel Cosmic.

Thanks!

I just started Waid's Daredevil and am liking it a lot.

I am really enjoying the new Punisher title by Nathan Edmondson. The first six Moon Knights by Warren Ellis are the best thing ever.

Goddammit, Wood.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oh JSA destroys teen titans. Best teen book in ages is PADs Young Justice. Just pure fun with great personality. Going from PADs joyful impulse to dour young flash was so depressing

You have good taste in teen books. Its one of the best.

Cheska

Special delivery today from the postman.

Apologies for tthe awful nighttime photos. Also Black Widows stare makes it almost impossible to get a good photo.

Photos don't do her justice

Bonus

Woohooo! Nice pick ups Messi!!

Wow, you're a lifesaver Cheska. I'll keep this in mind, I've been meaning to get new shelves. :)
Heya Nudull! Glad to see you back around these parts :D

Who is Brandon Graham and why should I care what he has to say?

Cartoonist (King City, Multiple Warheads) writer of Prophet, all around great artist; I dunno, you don't have to care about what he has to say? I do enjoy a good shit talking sometimes though, and he does sometimes do that

Cade

Hushype? Hushype. Bring it

Hope it's interesting. I still haven't read any Batman Eternal; what's the consensus? Is it worth picking up the trade when it drops or just buying various issues whenever Comixology does a sale?

fertygo

Hushype? Hushype. Bring it

Hope it's interesting. I still haven't read any Batman Eternal; what's the consensus? Is it worth picking up the trade when it drops or just buying various issues whenever Comixology does a sale?

If you don't read from the start, might as well wait for those 0.99 cent sales.

Its not bad but not groundbreaking either, just more batman to read weakly.

Cade

If you don't read from the start, might as well wait for those 0.99 cent sales.

Its not bad but not groundbreaking either, just more batman to read weakly.

Gotcha. I was kind of hoping it'd turn out to be whizzbang amazing with a rotating cast of all-stars but it's sounded middling so far. Ah well

Cade

I think it's very good so far. The best weekly series since 52 by far. Every week I've been entertained

Damn, since 52? That's kind of nuts. 52 is one of my all-time favorite comic books so I might have to check it out when trades hit.

Gotcha. I was kind of hoping it'd turn out to be whizzbang amazing with a rotating cast of all-stars but it's sounded middling so far. Ah well

I wouldn't say it's middling. I'd say it's, say, third best Batman title at the moment behind Batman and Batman and Robin. It's also a different experience as a weekly. I personally recommend it.

Cade

I wouldn't say it's middling. I'd say it's, say, third best Batman title at the moment behind Batman and Batman and Robin. It's also a different experience as a weekly. I personally recommend it.
DC has non-Batman titles?!
I'm not saying it's better then 52. Well have to see how it all plays out. But I've been pleasantly surprised so far

Gotcha. Will definitely look into it then because I like the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom