• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Those Plastic Man pages are killer, but it's that first Alex Ross sequence that get me every time.

:O

If his section looks anything like his stuff on The Spirit or The New Frontier.... gimme.

Cooke only draws one full issue but it's a contender for the best issue in the entire book.

So Brandon Graham said something on Twitter why he doesn't get why established creators continue to announce Super Hero comics. I then replied just a quote from the GM documentary where he says he loves super hero comics and wants to make sure those worlds are maintained. He then goes on to shit on GM and makes fun of him. I just ignored it and did not say anything else after.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So Brandon Graham said something on Twitter why he doesn't get why established creators continue to announce Super Hero comics. I then replied just a quote from the GM documentary where he says he loves super hero comics and wants to make sure those worlds are maintained. He then goes on to shit on GM and makes fun of him. I just ignored it and did not say anything else after.
Grant Morison is taking le drugs huehuehuehuehuehuehue

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Dude's a professional shit-talker, so I wouldn't let it get to ya. I love Brandon Graham's work, but the dude is a fucking pompous manbaby hellbent on being the most anti-corporate, non-sellout, punk comics creator ever. Just tell him to eat werewolf dicks or something.

Also, you seem like you've finally become a Grant Morrison fan, so, like, he's always going to get shit on, and the quickest, saddest, most asinine dismissal of him and his work will always be "he duz maddd drugs and got obducted by aliens. LOL."

Man, I'm so happy to see you becoming a Morrison fan. Dude just loves comics and he's just so hard to genuinely dislike if you love the medium. I've heard Graham likes to talk shit in general so it's not really worth it to pay attention to him.

And big shout-out to whatsinaname for sharing those Barnes and Noble coupons. I had a Visa gift card so I was able to get the Animal Man Omnibus for a good price without paying out of my pocket. I tried to buy it when one seller on Amazon had it up for $19 or something crazy earlier in the year, but they cancelled my order. This has been on my list of things to buy for a while now, so backlog be damned, I had to buy it!

frye

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Graham has problems with Morrison's insistence on Superheroes As a Transcendent Idea to the extent that it takes precedence over the (very real) grievances that their original creators have with the corporations that now own them

It's not a indefensible position and even Morrison has attempted to address the idea he's a corporate apologist in his own comics (i.e. Actions Comics 9).

probably no bigger Morrison fanboy than me, but his whole "superheroes are the greatest thing ever and we call all be Gods and change the world" is naive fanboy twaddle to make people who still read these silly childish things feel good about themselves. Not that people haven't been changed on a personal, intimate level by reading comics, but its not some world revolution or anything, give me a goddamn break. And keep your fucking Action Comics #9 apologies and your desperate justifications for working for the company that made Before Watchmen.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Graham has problems with Morrison's insistence on Superheroes As a Transcendent Idea to the extent that it takes precedence over the (very real) grievances that their original creators have with the corporations that now own them

It's not a indefensible position and even Morrison has attempted to address the idea he's a corporate apologist in his own comics (i.e. Actions Comics 9).

Sure, which is a totally valid and worthwhile and necessary argument to have, but how does being a consistently petulant ass make anything better? What is he doing to change anything aside from limiting how much of his work gets out there and alienating anybody who decides that maybe they can separate the specific works of authors from their evil publishers?

probably no bigger Morrison fanboy than me, but his whole "superheroes are the greatest thing ever and we call all be Gods and change the world" is naive fanboy twaddle to make people who still read these silly childish things feel good about themselves. Not that people haven't been changed on a personal, intimate level by reading comics, but its not some world revolution or anything, give me a goddamn break. And keep your fucking Action Comics #9 apologies and your desperate justifications for working for the company that made Before Watchmen.

But they were paramount in his life, and changed it for the better, and continue to be integral to him, and allowed him to change other peoples' lives without ever having meet them so why can't that be said for others? And as for the worldwide revolution thing, yeah, they may not cause some giant movement but getting inspiring stories featuring universally recognizable heroes/symbols is totally a huge positive and should be praised.

frye

Sure, which is a totally valid and worthwhile and necessary argument to have, but how does being a consistently petulant ass make anything better? What is he doing to change anything aside from limiting how much of his work gets out there and alienating anybody who decides that maybe they can separate the specific works of authors from their evil publishers?

Well -- what do you think he can do? It's pretty obvious from his point of view, there's only one thing to do and that's Make Comics, which seems fair to me. I know that as a culture we're learning that the stuff you say on social media has consequences and is Part of Your Personal Brand but for him twitter is mostly for fun.

Brian Wood joke incoming.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10727-1387784107-14.gif

Filthy Slug

Well -- what do you think he can do? It's pretty obvious from his point of view, there's only one thing to do and that's Make Comics, which seems fair to me. I know that as a culture we're learning that the stuff you say on social media has consequences and is Part of Your Personal Brand but for him twitter is mostly for fun.

I'm not saying he needs to censor anything he's saying, and I think the pc-twitter trend that this country is leaning into is horrific and horseshit, but in-between that bullshit he spews, come through with some sincere ass arguments. Maybe he has in the past? I like the dude, and I have no issue with shit-talking as long as its occasionally backed up with intellectual substance.

And I'd hope his argument is written better than Prophet.

Totes normal to have a right elbow sprouting from your hips.

Reading Avengers A.I. Gods, it is so good. Doombot is the best bot.

Shame there's only twelve issues D:

But they were paramount in his life, and changed it for the better, and continue to be integral to him, and allowed him to change other peoples' lives without ever having meet them so why can't that be said for others? And as for the worldwide revolution thing, yeah, they may not cause some giant movement but getting inspiring stories featuring universally recognizable heroes/symbols is totally a huge positive and should be praised.

This this this this this. I get something from superheroes that I can't get anywhere else. They mean something to me that is hard to describe, outside of a sense of idealism, hope, and inspiration that I find endlessly appealing.

I particularly liked this one:

If you kill of Nick Fury or make him the new Watcher his fans will be pissed. Nobody likes Jr.

Anonymous

Have you not been paying attention all these years? I don’t really lose a lot of sleep worrying that the fans of a particular character are going to be pissed.

(Plus, really, how many Nick fury fans are there, genuinely? Not nearly enough to support a series, as it turns out.)

ORIGINAL SIN #8 is on sale in a few weeks.

I shared this with a few people on Twitter but I'm gonna throw this out there about Batman Eternal. It's a tin-foil hat theory.

The guy in the bandages is Tommy Elliot aka Hush. But he will also become, Arkham Knight that's only really been announced in the videogame. If you check out the released designs of AK, he is a gun toting militaristic kinda looking person just like the cover that was linked a few pages back.

That's just my idea.

I shared this with a few people on Twitter but I'm gonna throw this out there about Batman Eternal. It's a tin-foil hat theory.

The guy in the bandages is Tommy Elliot aka Hush. But he will also become, Arkham Knight that's only really been announced in the videogame. If you check out the released designs of AK, he is a gun toting militaristic kinda looking person just like the cover that was linked a few pages back.

That's just my idea.

It would kind of play into the Hush teaser in Arkham City, and it would probably have fit with the original release date of the game before it got pushed back. Or at least have been closer instead of months off. It's definitely a possibility that's not completely far fetched. Though the comic world and the Arkham game world are so disconnected. I think it might be hard to pull something like that off, but maybe not. I guess it is just introducing a character change and then using it right away in a game. Although knowing Rocksteady it'll probably some how turn out that Arkham Knight is a not dead Joker. Because they can't make a game and not have the final villain be the Joker. -_-

Filthy Slug

That's just my idea.

What about Lincoln March? Is that dude dead-dead?

That's just my idea.

Sorry to burst your bubble

The game introduces the villain Arkham Knight, a character created specifically for the game by Rocksteady, DC Comics CCO and comic-book writer Geoff Johns, and DC co-publisher and comic artist Jim Lee.[2][16][1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom