• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what was the point of All New Marvel Now.

I think it was done to compete with the New 52, where they changed some things (costumes and such) but left things the same for the most part. It was like a mini-reboot for Marvel, while not going balls-deep like DC did. Apparently this didn't have the desired outcome, as they're going full-reboot now anyway.

I think it was done to compete with the New 52, where they changed some things (costumes and such) but left things the same for the most part. It was like a mini-reboot for Marvel, while not going balls-deep like DC did. Apparently this didn't have the desired outcome, as they're going full-reboot now anyway.

Oh wow, really?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Yeah, Marvel is only Market-leader. It really didnt payed out for them.

Messi

We don't know that yet!

Forever People was cancelled?

Predictions:
Avengers and New Avengers end.
Astonishing Avengers by Remender new core Avengers book
New Avengers relaunched with Fiffe type indie team, rerelaunched by issue 6
Adjectiveless Avengers is shelved for a while like when New Avengers started

But no, full reboot and line wide $5 books much more likely

Hoping it's just a new #1 of Avengers & New Avengers.

I simply couldn't buy books from a "new 52" marvel. nope.

Yeah I'd be out too.

But it's not gonna happen, they've got too many moving parts right now. And I don't think they want to stagger growth on hot new books/characters like Ms. Marvel.

I have no doubt that next year we'll probably see the biggest "soft relaunch" since the first Marvel Now! but a full reboot of all continuity just seems crazy at this point, looking at the long term and short term.

kswiston

All-New Marvel NOW certainly didn't generate the buzz that the New 52, did.

I think we need to get our terms straight to avoid confusion.

Marvel Now! was the big launch of new #1s in Fall 2012/Winter 2013 that gave us Superior Spider-man, All-New X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, etc.

All-New Marvel Now! was a smaller follow up after Infinity that relaunched some lagging titles, and added more diversity to the line with books like Miss Marvel, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and Black Widow.

I have no doubt that next year we'll probably see the biggest "soft relaunch" since the first Marvel Now! but a full reboot of all continuity just seems crazy at this point, looking at the long term and short term.

I wouldn't put it past them to do at some point in the future. But they need a clear plan. Even DC left themselves an out to go back to the old DCU by introducing Pandora.

kswiston

I wouldn't put it past them to do at some point in the future. But they need a clear plan. Even DC left themselves an out to go back to the old DCU by introducing Pandora.

If they wanted to do a reboot, the incursion event will have had like 70-80 issues of build-up between Avengers and New Avengers by the time next April rolls around. I doubt that will happen though.

Lombaszko

Doing my Morrison Batman re-read today and came across this nice little call back I didn't catch the first time around, probably since it was part of the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul storyline, and Morrison only wrote two issues of that.

jbieJ2BwhLWqWC.jpg

Left is from Batman 670 (2007) and the right is from Batman Inc. #2 (2012). For context, that's Ra's talking to her on the left.

There is also a page where they show when Talia received her secret London base, which she mentions getting in another earlier issue of Batman from 2007. Definitely worth the re-read!

Yo, in other news Rebellion is reprinting the first storyline of Jaegir for the North American market, out tomorrow. Of the recent 2000 AD strips, this is easily my favourite except for maybe the new Indigo Prime. Set in the Rogue Trooper universe (though you don't have to have read any; I haven't), this stars Kapiten-Inspector Atalia Jaegir (what a name!) as part of a war crimes investigation unit that ends up confronting unsavory monsters from her nation's and her own past.

It's a good time and def. worth a read.

proper fash aesthetic too

looks/sounds p. dope

fauxtrot

Banned
Marvel seems to hate numbers over 50 more than Valve hates the number 3...

In regards to events: Sure, 4-5 months sounds like a good amount of time between events in real-time, but when I look at it as only 4-5 issues of my favorite comics unmolested before the next tie-in extravaganza, it really chafes my hide. One event per year should be MORE than enough, damnit. :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Marvel seems to hate numbers over 50 more than Valve hates the number 3...

In regards to events: Sure, 4-5 months sounds like a good amount of time between events in real-time, but when I look at it as only 4-5 issues of my favorite comics unmolested before the next tie-in extravaganza, it really chafes my hide. One event per year should be MORE than enough, damnit. :(

They should seperate Tie-Ins from the Ongoing series. Like they did with Age of Ultron, IIRC.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Can't wait for that Batmanime hotness in Gotham Academy.

kswiston

They should seperate Tie-Ins from the Ongoing series. Like they did with Age of Ultron, IIRC.

Infinity was pretty good with regards to tie-in issues. The story was just a continuation of Avengers/New Avengers plot points, so it makes sense that they would be tie-ins for the event. Mighty Avengers and a couple other books launched out of the event, but other than that, it was mainly mini-series and one shots. Crap that was easily avoided.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is an incursion going to come and finally put the Ultimate Universe out of it's misery?

That's my hope. Miles can stick around in the 616, though. Just give him to someone like Nick Spencer or have him team up with Ms. Marvel. Bendis's baby nees to spread his wings and fly the coop.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is an incursion going to come and finally put the Ultimate Universe out of it's misery?
Hoped this would happend with Cataclysm... But it didnt happened. The Ultimate line is going to be very thin, wasnt Ultimate FF canceled? So there are only Miles Spider-Man and Ultimates left, right?

Spider-Verse will very likely cary him over to Earth 616 and after this, the Ultimate Universe is going to die...

Zombine

Banned
Really wondeful Boom leading ladies sale up on Comixology. I'm almost ashamed to take them up on the deal because these books are more than worth the cover price.

Gotta get through my books tomorrow so I can send in my votes for book of the month. I think I'm pretty much decided at this point though, unless something from tomorrow sways me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom