• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished Morrison's "The Mystery Play"...think I need a night to absorb what I just read. You could tell it was very deliberate; plotted perfectly but unlike anything I've read in graphic novel form. It's quite short for a one-shot graphic novel[la] but ebbs and flows beautifully. Very liturgical and allegorical. If you love Morrison, you've got to seek this out.

Thanks for the mini review! I'll definitely try to check this out sometime. That sounds very interesting.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Any thoughts on the new Ultimate Spider-Man Issue?

I think Bendis makes it far to obivious that its not the real Peter with everybody constantly claiming that hes the real deal...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fucking LMAO at that spoiler. Is Eternal really just a mixtape of shit that's already happened? Spoiler, Blackfyre, the Roman... I hope there's more to it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finally caught up with Shutter. I really like this book. The art, the character designs, the characters themselves.

IHaveIce

Banned
If only Bendis would step down and Hickmann would take on the Guardians of the Galaxy, if not Abnett and Lanning then I want Hickmann

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If only Bendis would step down and Hickmann would take on the Guardians of the Galaxy, if not Abnett and Lanning then I want Hickmann

Fantastic Four is where much of the cosmic craziness originates, so it stand to reason Hickman would ace that shit, if he was given enough control.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite new series.

The classic cartoon cat who is also a clock is my favorite. At first I thought he was jut a fancy schedule keeper but no he is a actually an autonomous character.

Messi

The classic cartoon cat who is also a clock is my favorite. At first I thought he was jut a fancy schedule keeper but no he is a actually an autonomous character.

He is my favorite too. He is quite fancy.

I also wquite like Alain. Kate is the most unlikable character in the book.

Shutter03-insert-2.jpg

:(

So I think I've been doing pretty good getting into the Marvel universe but I'm completely confused on the DC universe. Should I just start at the new 52?

Is there anything I should read before flash point? Any good crossover or events?

Messi

So I think I've been doing pretty good getting into the Marvel universe but I'm completely confused on the DC universe. Should I just start at the new 52?

Is there anything I should read before flash point? Any good crossover or events?

Start with new 52 Batman and extend out to characters you think you like. Then you can cherry pick pre 52 storylines. That's what I did. Also pick up Harley Quinn.

There is plenty pre-52 that is amazing and worth your time. But if you wanna hop in to what is current continuity then you can pick New 52 branded titles. It really depends on what flavor of super hero appeals to you.

Out of curiosity, what Marvel heroes have you been enjoying? What themes interest you?

Mumei

How is Meltzer's Identity Crisis? The local comics shop has the Absolute edition for 50% off and I'm unsure if this is worth it or not.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bought a couple of Spider-Man Event Tie-Ins... Its kinda funny, how Christos Cage gave SpOck in two Event-Tie-Ins (Inhumanity and Age of Ultron) more Character Developement than Slott in over 30 Mainline Issues...

How is Meltzer's Identity Crisis? The local comics shop has the Absolute edition for 50% off and I'm unsure if this is worth it or not.

No.

Absolute No.

Don't.

(Borrow it from the library. I love Absolute editions and I didn't buy this even when it was ~$35 on IST).

Meteorain

I've been working through some of the old school Spiderman. Just came across Spidey being trolled by Doom and his doombot.

whfrNax.png

Amazing! :lol :lol

Love how he's just chilling next door.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Guess not! What about X-Statix? The omnibus is also 50% off.
Fucks yes. X-Statix is still highly relevant and enjoyable and tells some of the most unique Marvel stories ever. Also, Michael Allred, Darwyn Cooke, amd a bunch of other great artists contribute.

Identity Crisis is shite.

Mumei

Fucks yes. X-Statix is still highly relevant and enjoyable and tells some of the most unique Marvel stories ever. Also, Michael Allred, Darwyn Cooke, amd a bunch of other great artists contribute.

Identity Crisis is shite.

:O

If his section looks anything like his stuff on The Spirit or The New Frontier.... gimme.

No, it really isn't.

nah, it is. Best thing to come out Identity Crisis was Kyle Baker taking the piss out of it

batsonfuneral1.jpg

batsonfuneral2.jpg

batsonfuneral3.jpg

batsonfuneral4.jpg

batsonfuneral5.jpg

batsonfuneral6.jpg

also, X-Statix fill-in artists include Darwyn Cooke, Philip Bond, Paul Pope, Sean Phillips, Nick Dragotta, and Duncan fuckin' Fegredo. Thats how good lookin that book is

I'm not saying it's better then 52. Well have to see how it all plays out. But I've been pleasantly surprised so far

Yeah, it's a really solid TV series of a comic. One plot line is super middling, and I wish Nguyen wasn't drawing it in ink, but overall it's really well put together.

My only real complaint is that weekly series SHOULD NOT EXIST WITHOUT A SINGLE COVER ARTIST.

Futures End is some of the worst drawn comics since the last Wolverine & The X-Men, but Ryan Sook is doing JG Jones level work on every cover and it somehow miraculously keeps me interested.

Cade

No, it really isn't.

I agree with you. It was a decent story (albeit with some odd plot holes [
that you can wave away by saying Loring's insanity made her not think straight
]) that had some REALLY interesting long-term repercussions (
the mindwipes, Batman not trusting the league and REALLY not trusting Zatanna [until Batman: Death and The City or whatever]
) and some interesting moments. It's not perfect and I don't know if it's something I'd want to own, but check your library for it. I read it there and was pleased, but the art isn't that great so it's not something I'd need to own in a deluxe edition.

Sidenote on those spoilers up there, I was reading Grant Morrison's JLA and in it it's revealed that
Batman 'n' Crew had given a bunch of white Martians amnesia and set them up new lives, while in Identity Crisis Batman was FREAKING OUT about mindwiping Dr. Light. Why? Was it because the Dr. Light thing was so sloppy and brutal, or what?

EDIT: yo that comic up there is amusing though

Why is Ed Brubaker doing The Fade Out instead of going back to wrap up Incognito? 4 years now and that god damn ending in Bad Influences is begging for a sequel.

Identity Crisis was fascinating because it was a deconstruction of Silver Age idealism vs. Modern age "realism". It sought to explain how it was that heroes had managed to go so long without their identities being exposed. I loved it. It was the trade that got me back into buying comics again.

Futures End is some of the worst drawn comics since the last Wolverine & The X-Men, but Ryan Sook is doing JG Jones level work on every cover and it somehow miraculously keeps me interested.

I really do love the covers.

kmfdmpig

Identity Crisis was fascinating because it was a deconstruction of Silver Age idealism vs. Modern age "realism". It sought to explain how it was that heroes had managed to go so long without their identities being exposed. I loved it. It was the trade that got me back into buying comics again.

I really do love the covers.

I liked Identity Crisis as well. Yes, it's very dark and no, I wouldn't want everything to be that way, but I think if you read it as its own thing without trying to link it to trends or imagine that it is establishing new norms then it is an interesting read with good art.

With that said, the Kyle Baker stuff posted above is an interesting critique which I want to read. To me the argument against "dark" comics like DKR, Watchmen, Identity Crisis (which certainly is not on the same level), The Boys, etc... is an odd one as dark and grim and light and fun can coexist. I can like Giffen's JLA, Hawkeye (RIP), Zatanna, Power Girl on the one hand and still like dark comics as well. It's not a zero-sum game.

Futures End is some of the worst drawn comics since the last Wolverine & The X-Men
Rofl... you're calling Patrick Zircher, Scot Eaton, Aaron Lopresti, Jesus Merino pencilled art as some of the worst drawn comics? You haven't seen terrible art then.... unless what you're really complaining about is the static layout in which case it is because of Keith Giffen.

Blues1990

Is anyone else having problems with finding Mega Man, issue #40? None of my local comic book shops have it, & it isn't available on comiXology. :(

Rofl... you're calling Patrick Zircher, Scot Eaton, Aaron Lopresti, Jesus Merino pencilled art as some of the worst drawn comics? You haven't seen terrible art then.... unless what you're really complaining about is the static layout in which case it is because of Keith Giffen.

Zircher is delivering the only good art of the bunch. And the key word there is pencilled.

I'm sure the pencils look great. We'll never no because they were inked by very bad inkers, or themselves with a clearly limited time frame.

I would put very little of this on the artists and all of it on the scheduling and possibly editorial, since Batman Eternal looks fantastic pretty much every week.

Taking out all the rape and lobotomy a and death. Idenity crisis isn't even a good Mystery story

That and ultimatum are in a special class of its own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom