• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Moebius stuff that expensive at MSRP? I'm pretty sure my LCS has a ton of it, and they don't charge over cover price.

I imagine most of it is marked up online, though a lot of it is out of print as far as I can tell. You should check with your shop and snag any/all of it up ASAP.

Australia Comic Statue GAF. I have no idea about statues - regarding what good, prices, etc - but just noticed that Catch of the Day have the following statues for sale:
  • Armoured Wonder Woman DC Comics Bishoujo Statue $99.99
  • Supergirl New 52 DC ArtFX+ Statue $79.99
  • Spider-Women Marvel Bishoujo Statue $119.99
  • Man of Steel: Superman Movie ArtFX Statue $169.99

Cross posting from the B/S/T thread if anyone is interested in some trades / hardcovers I am looking to move as part of spring cleaning. Apologies in advance if it is inappropriate, if so I will remove. Thanks!

WTS
Graphic Novels and Trade Paperbacks

All in great condition unless noted otherwise, additional pictures available upon request. Prices include shipping for any purchases over $10.

Spider-Man Spider Island HC - Slott $15
New Avengers HC Vol 1-3 $15 each or $45 for all 3
Astonishing X-Men Vol 1 $25
Batman Hush Unwrapped $20
Batman Unwrapped - Kubert $15
Wizard Spider-Man Masterpiece Edition (good condition) $5
Halo The Visual Essential Guide - $5
Dawn The Worlds of Final Fantasy (ripped book jacket top corner) $5
Saga Vol 1-3 $20
V for Vendetta $5
Avengers Legends $5
JLA Morrison Deluxe Edition vol 1-2 $20
X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga $10
Spider-Man Death of the Stacys $10
JLA Year One $5
X-Men God Loves Man Kills $5
Spider-Man Kraven's Last Hunt $5

HCs.jpg

TPBs.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Cross posting from the B/S/T thread if anyone is interested in some trades / hardcovers I am looking to move as part of spring cleaning. Apologies in advance if it is inappropriate, if so I will remove. Thanks!

Thanks for cross posting. I personally always like it when people post the comics they're selling here so that I can tempt myself.
There are quite a few things there that I'm tempted to get, but I should probably hold off.

Anyone here will tell you to read what you enjoy, and never feel like you are obligated to read what everyone else is. You're in a phase where you're testing the water. You're going to fuck up and you're going to have some major hits which may end up developing your tastes. Soon enough you'll know the who's who of the industry, and you'll be blowing all of your cash on the hobby. Lol

And hey, don't feel bad if you like stuff that nobody else does. I'm the only person here who admits I am a super fan of Walking Dead.

That gave me an idea. I'm sure everyone has early getting into comics reading regrets. Comics you were buying as you were first figuring out what was good and whatnot that as you look back you wonder what you were up to.

Here's mine: I started reading comics right when Image was first formed. So my friends were teaching me that it was artist over all. So for a good long while i bought almost all the image/wildstorm stuff. I'm talking Cyberforce, Spawn, Shadowhawk, original Stormwatch, wildcats, etc. Well that and Batman books and x-men.

Years later i realized it was more about the writers and creative team than the characters. That essentially a great writer can make almost any character worth reading and that power sets were secondary. Actually the internet really helped expand my horizons on stuff to try. I have a hard time turning down peoples recomendations :)

There is plenty pre-52 that is amazing and worth your time. But if you wanna hop in to what is current continuity then you can pick New 52 branded titles. It really depends on what flavor of super hero appeals to you.

Out of curiosity, what Marvel heroes have you been enjoying? What themes interest you?
Are there some highlights?

Good arcs or crossovers?

I like spiderman and and enjoyed old events like house of m and avengers disassembled. I also dig Capitan America (my favorite superhero)

Owzers

Never read an Archie comic really but Afterlife with Archie #1 was really good, might cave and get the trade or wait for a digital sale.

fauxtrot

Banned
Speaking of giving away trades, does anyone want a free copy of God Hates Astronauts? It's just not my kind of comedy, but a lot of people love it and it'll get you caught up in time for the new arc starting soon! If you live outside of the US, I might ask for a few bucks to help with shipping.

Also, y'all should check out Bojack Horseman on Netflix... it was created by a fellow GAF member (or so I've been told) and I think fellow comic book fans will see the genius in it. Don't go into it expecting a laugh a minute type comedy, as it's more of a long story that unfolds over the course of the season. I will admit that I thought the first episode was dismal, but its gotten better and better each episode I watch. It's already renewed for a second season too!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hellboy 1-11 and Parker got here yesterday. The listing I bought Hellboy from on Ebay also had the first 2 BPRD trades.

Now Instocktrades needs to hurry up and mail me Parker 2-3 and BPRD: Plague of Frogs 1-4.

[edit]

Not sure what I should buy next. Can't decide on BPRD: Hell on Earth, BPRD 1940s trades, Fatale or Criminal.

Yes..tons. But i need help narrowing it down. Throw out a character you'd be interested in and we'll hook you up with a ton of good books to read
Jla, superman, batman. Haha if there's any super stuff that's not that I'm open. Things like the green lantern, wonder women, aquaman, Batman's sidekicks are of interest but I just don't know them

fauxtrot

Banned
Hellboy 1-11 and Parker got here yesterday. The listing I bought Hellboy from on Ebay also had the first 2 BPRD trades.

Now Instocktrades needs to hurry up and mail me Parker 2-3 and BPRD: Plague of Frogs 1-4.

Hellboy + Black Hole + Homicide = Marry me?

Cheska

Big thank you to Cheska!! Thank you so much for sending me a copy of Batman Volume 2

<3 <3

YAY! Glad it got there, finally haha.

I have three pending IST orders, none of them have been fulfilled and only one order has some items scanned and picked. This move must be really slowing them down.

Oz omnibus next week though!! :O

I have three pending IST orders, none of them have been fulfilled and only one order has some items scanned and picked. This move must be really slowing them down.

Yeah, I ordered something last week that just got shipped yesterday.

Also, holy crap did the new Sin City movie flop hard. Didn't even hit 7m this weekend.

New Warriors Volume 1 is coming out in comic shops tomorrow.

If you're looking for a team book that doesn't take itself too seriously, please give it a chance. The first few issues are slow, but it picks up and it becomes a lot of fun. It's already being cancelled in November :'(

New Warriors Volume 1 is coming out in comic shops tomorrow.

If you're looking for a team book that doesn't take itself too seriously, please give it a chance. The first few issues are slow, but it picks up and it becomes a lot of fun. It's already being cancelled in November :'(

MAYBE if the trade sells well enough they'll uncancel the series and it can live for another 5 years! Buy it, people!
:(

tim1138

So Jeff Lemire, do you prefer Sweet Tooth or Essex County??

What are your thoughts on the ArtFx figure line?

I didn't see anyone else answer your Lemire question, so here's my two cents.

As good as Sweet Tooth is, and it's really freaking good, I would start with Essex County. Personally I think it's the best thing he's done to date and is a great primer to the themes (families, fathers and sons) he uses throughout his work. It's a wonderful series of slice of life stories set in rural Canada.

IHaveIce

Banned
Today's the day we find out what happened to Richard Rider at long last.
Awww yeah
Edit: though Thanos getting out of the cancerverse with Quill is the bigger mystery to me.

What was the first Thabos appearance after he got out of there? Which issue?

Zombine

Banned
That gave me an idea. I'm sure everyone has early getting into comics reading regrets. Comics you were buying as you were first figuring out what was good and whatnot that as you look back you wonder what you were up to.

Here's mine: I started reading comics right when Image was first formed. So my friends were teaching me that it was artist over all. So for a good long while i bought almost all the image/wildstorm stuff. I'm talking Cyberforce, Spawn, Shadowhawk, original Stormwatch, wildcats, etc. Well that and Batman books and x-men.

Years later i realized it was more about the writers and creative team than the characters. That essentially a great writer can make almost any character worth reading and that power sets were secondary. Actually the internet really helped expand my horizons on stuff to try. I have a hard time turning down peoples recomendations :)

I've been doing this for going on 3 years now and I still fucked up. I bought X-men 100th day one. Even worse? I did next to no research on it.

Thanks for cross posting. I personally always like it when people post the comics they're selling here so that I can tempt myself.
There are quite a few things there that I'm tempted to get, but I should probably hold off.

I will knock off a few bucks if you are interested in multiple items, PM me :)

I want to check out some Shazam. (Captain Marvel)
What do I want to read?

I believe they've collected the Shazam back up story from the N52 JL run, it'll give you an idea of where the character is now, and it's pretty solid.

In the 90's there was a trade paperback that lead into an ongoing series called The Power of Shazam. I remember it being enjoyable though I haven't read it in ages to be fair.

Brothers and Sisters of ComicGAF, I come to you today to ask, Have you accepted Batman Beyond 2.0 int your life?

If you have then may Terry be with you. Go in peace.

Kipp

Speaking of giving away trades, does anyone want a free copy of God Hates Astronauts? It's just not my kind of comedy, but a lot of people love it and it'll get you caught up in time for the new arc starting soon! If you live outside of the US, I might ask for a few bucks to help with shipping.

Has nobody else replied to this yet? If not, I'd love to give God Hates Astronauts a shot, fauxtrot! Thanks for doing the giveaway!

Big thank you to Cheska!! Thank you so much for sending me a copy of Batman Volume 2

<3 <3

That is seriously the best action figure of all time.

Looks like comics are gonna be another new hobby for me. I got that new Abnett-Lanning GotG trade paperback when it came out a few weeks ago, and since then I've read through Hellboy vol. 1 and picked up Hellblazer vol. 1. And just last night, I picked the respective first volumes of Justice League Dark and the Marvel NOW version of Hawkeye.

I know I'm definitely gonna be asking for recommendations in this thread before long, so I thought I'd introduce myself in the meantime.

Kipp

Looks like comics are gonna be another new hobby for me. I got that new Abnett-Lanning GotG trade paperback when it came out a few weeks ago, and since then I've read through Hellboy vol. 1 and picked up Hellblazer vol. 1. And just last night, I picked the respective first volumes of Justice League Dark and the Marvel NOW version of Hawkeye.

I know I'm definitely gonna be asking for recommendations in this thread before long, so I thought I'd introduce myself in the meantime.

Well you've started with some great books! Hopefully you've been enjoying what you've been reading!
Welcome to the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom