• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woohoo. Only took almost a week, but my IST order with both deluxe editions of Criminal has shipped!

Edit: Oh geez. I would get first post of the page with this dumb post.

kswiston

Was Captain America still worth reading after the Dimension Z arc? I think I fell off after the second or third issue of the arc with Nuke.

Thanks comixology for giving me a break and not doing another 7 day DC sale. Those have murdered my wallet this month.

Also my final eBay statue is here. I'll take photos of my updated setup soon. The real highlight is the Sideshow vader premier statue

Kipp

Was Captain America still worth reading after the Dimension Z arc? I think I fell off after the second or third issue of the arc with Nuke.

From what I read here, I think the general consensus was that it became pretty mediocre after Dimension Z.

Woohoo. Only took almost a week, but my IST order with both deluxe editions of Criminal has shipped!

Edit: Oh geez. I would get first post of the page with this dumb post.

Yeah, took my order a week to ship and a week to arrive. USPS took my package over 400 miles in the wrong direction before it finally arrived.

Are they out of print?

How much are we talking here? Cheska level?

Well, forget the Moebius ones. I saw STEL for $640 new, $190 used, Airtight Garage $232 new. The Bilal one I really want is the Nikopol Trilogy; $475 new, $200 used. Ain't got the money! Probably never will. Not even sure if they're out of print. I actually just put a hold on The Dormant Beast (Bilal) at my local library so that's exciting. There's so much Bilal I want to read.

Alright from my weekend a couple weeks ago here all the statues and orders have come in (of the statues that aren't on pre-order). The last to come in was the mini Bowen Daredevil statues, Bowen Iron Man statue, the Tim Drake statue (aka best robin), and the various JL & Star Wars figures. And of course the Sideshow Vader Mythos statue which is all sorts of badass

Here's the updated display room
BslDPRj.jpg
GgA0bAW.jpg

nECM70a.jpg
5hw0nOw.jpg

lvI8B3z.jpg
Qhb7H0G.jpg

sPEzHbt.jpg
sPvCx5E.jpg

NfolyHe.jpg

Messi

Well, forget the Moebius ones. I saw STEL for $640 new, $190 used, Airtight Garage $232 new. The Bilal one I really want is the Nikopol Trilogy; $475 new, $200 used. Ain't got the money! Probably never will. Not even sure if they're out of print. I actually just put a hold on The Dormant Beast (Bilal) at my local library so that's exciting. There's so much Bilal I want to read.

That is ludicrous. Holy shit.

Korupt if you can see this I am sitting in your Last of Us lobby. Let's roll :D

August order just arrived. Have some damn good reading (and re-reading) to look forward to for the long weekend.
Yay Superior Foes! The last two issues in that trade are filler issues so be prepared. I liked that Inhumans book too.

PS nice new avatar, Freeza. Esdese is my favorite character from Akame ga Kill

Cheska

So Jeff Lemire, do you prefer Sweet Tooth or Essex County??

Alright from my weekend a couple weeks ago here all the statues and orders have come in (of the statues that aren't on pre-order). The last to come in was the mini Bowen Daredevil statues, Bowen Iron Man statue, the Tim Drake statue (aka best robin), and the various JL & Star Wars figures. And of course the Sideshow Vader Mythos statue which is all sorts of badass

What are your thoughts on the ArtFx figure line?

What are your thoughts on the ArtFx figure line?

I really like them. They seem to be high quality, good detail for a decent price. It helps fill out a collection without spending too much money. There are some on the star wars side that were "piece them together" that i wasn't too sure of, but it gives you some other options on poses and they fit snug. I really dig their magnet bases. They hold them down but give you more flexibility in placement.

I'd still go for full statues for my favorite characters, but for the rest they're a great alternative

Vyer

What line are Shazam/GL/Flash/Adam from

It's been real disappointing since Z IMO.

From what I read here, I think the general consensus was that it became pretty mediocre after Dimension Z.

it was and still is good.

not fantastic like Dimension Z.

I don't like the fact a new pair of random nobodies bopped steve and brought him into old age.. regardless of how well they were introduced.

fauxtrot

Banned

Display room? Baller.

Tizoc

What I read of Mulitversity was nice but nothing...hmmm let's say 'ZOMG THIS FREAKIN' MINDBLOWING AWESOME'-ish. Then again I only read up til halfway before leaving to work, will try to finish it up tomorrow.

LosDaddie

Banned
52 is the event that happens immediately after infinite crisis. It took DCs top writers (Waid, Rucka, Morrison, and Johns) and they crafted a story that came out weekly and was about a number of lower tier super heroes and characters following them in the year after infinite crisis (the rest of the line did a one year jump). The funny thing is it started out and was billed as a year long, pseudo real time telling of a number of stories. But part way through the writers seemed to scrap that idea and started doing their own thing that worked out much better. It's not really about origin stories but more of, what happens when the big heroes are out of the picture for a year? It was the first weekly comic series that I recall at this scale and though DC has tried a couple other times after the success of 52, it's is the only one that worked.

Batman eternal looks like the first one since that gets to 52s level

52is a DC comics story that deals with a bunch of normally-minor characters taking more central roles in the universe because the trinity were put out of commission by the end of infinite crisis. It was a weekly book lasting for one year. That's what they got their name from. . It does a tiny bit of infinite crisis followup stuff but gaf mostly recommends it because we enjoy the story it tells on its own. It was released before as 4 small trades but came out as a big omnibus recently. It's not an origin story at all, just a fun story about a collection of lesser-known heroes.

It's not an "event"in the sense of a-list heroes teaming up to fight done big bad guy .that theaters the universe. I guess it does give a tiny bit of world-building info though. The only thing it contributes as background knowledge for final crisis is very small. It is spoilered here
the motivate comes back. The dcu got cut down to one universe in a previous event.
there is another book that happens right before final crisis called countdown, but nobody ever recommends it because it want very good. Final crisis is super confusing without it but it's still really really word even with it. I read final crisis 3 times before even trying to read countdown. Countdown bored me;i love fc. It's not necessarily needed.

About the zero month new 52 omnibus:
the new fifty two is a separate thing dc did. They rebooted their universe and decided on that name for the process because they wanted to have 52 monthly books in the new universe at a time. They did a thing with those books where every story got an issue number zero. It was either origin story stuff or back-story stuff in general. They put all of those in one omnibus even though the stories don't relate to each other. I guess it is intended as a collectors item. It sounds like you were looking at this omnibus, not the story 52 that comes after infinite crisis.

Yes, in case you're wondering, these stories and books do have verypoorly chosen titles.

Thanks. I think I'll hold off on the 52 Omnibus for now, and see if I can get it for half off at local comic con.

I am interested in Countdown, if it does make Final Crisis more understandable.

Thanks. I think I'll hold off on the 52 Omnibus for now, and see if I can get it for half off at local comic con.

I am interested in Countdown, if it does make Final Crisis more understandable.
Stay away from countdown. It's really bad

Display room? Baller.
Hey who needs a dining room! :)

What line are Shazam/GL/Flash/Adam from

They're kotobukiya artfx+ statues. The next one coming out is Green Arrow. The same manufactures are creating the smaller sized Star Wars figures

Just finished Frank Miller's ronin . Now that's some good shit. Love how millers version of the future of complete anarchy .

Art is on point. Some beautiful action scenes

fauxtrot

Banned
Ughh, I've been sitting in the pharmacy for an hour waiting on a refill and my phone is inadequate for comic reading. Someone save me.

Zombine

Banned
Just finished Frank Miller's ronin . Now that's some good shit. Love how millers version of the future of complete anarchy .

True story, my senior year of high school I had to re-interpret x amount of pages of that into an original movie script. I got an A and my teacher tried to make me do something with it.

That's when I knew I wanted to write.

Ughh, I've been sitting in the pharmacy for an hour waiting on a refill and my phone is inadequate for comic reading. Someone save me.

Buy some candy or a box of condoms. Maybe both.

fauxtrot

Banned
However, it seems to be just fine for Neogaf posting. :D

No machine can stop me from complaining on the internet!

In other news, my Multiversity #1 Burnham variant arrived today and I'm anxious to dig in.

True story, my senior year of high school I had to re-interpret x amount of pages of that into an original movie script. I got an A and my teacher tried to make me do something with it.

That's when I knew I wanted to write.

I was gonna call you NeoGAF's Zack Snyder (or Robert Rodriguez), but that'd just be mean.

Sothpaw

I just picked up his Born Again, Dark Knight Returns and Holy Terror. Gonna have to pick up Ronin next looks like.

frye

Not many people talk about Ronin anymore but that's probably the most important book for Miller visually.

Sothpaw

Nice! Welcome!

It was good enough for Rob Liefeld to trace the entire thing though.

Thanks! It's pretty overwhelming. So far I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription and am following some guideline sites to help me navigate through the major events and important series to read. In addition to picking up the Miller books I mentioned (heard Born Again is pretty amazing).

fauxtrot

Banned
Thanks! It's pretty overwhelming. So far I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription and am following some guideline sites to help me navigate through the major events and important series to read. In addition to picking up the Miller books I mentioned (heard Born Again is pretty amazing).

Just remember that no sane person can or will read everything out there. Take your time, let it all seep in at the pace you're most comfortable with and enjoy!

Zombine

Banned

Anyone here will tell you to read what you enjoy, and never feel like you are obligated to read what everyone else is. You're in a phase where you're testing the water. You're going to fuck up and you're going to have some major hits which may end up developing your tastes. Soon enough you'll know the who's who of the industry, and you'll be blowing all of your cash on the hobby. Lol

And hey, don't feel bad if you like stuff that nobody else does. I'm the only person here who admits I am a super fan of Walking Dead.

Sothpaw

Thanks for the advice guys. This is a really interesting hobby to be sure. Best part is, I have a 2 year old son now and I will be an "expert" by the time he is ready to join me.

Maybe one of you can help me out here. I'm trying to think of an Image crossover comic that featured Spawn. What was special about it was that each special character was drawn right from the artist that created them/most popular with. So every appearance of Spawn in the comic was drawn by Todd McFarlane, another character by another artist, another by another, etc. It's vague, I know, but if anyone knows what it is I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, how is the current Captain Marvel series? I read the first few issues and I unconsciously drop it from my mind.

fauxtrot

Banned
Thanks for the advice guys. This is a really interesting hobby to be sure. Best part is, I have a 2 year old son now and I will be an "expert" by the time he is ready to join me.

My dad got me into comics at a young age and in turn, I pulled him back in after years of only reading them casually. So cool.

Sothpaw

My dad got me into comics at a young age and in turn, I pulled him back in after years of only reading them casually. So cool.

Videogames matured with me. I went from playing Mario as a kid to DOTA 2 and Dark Souls as a grown man. It seems to me like comics had a similar transformation? I am reading the earliest Fantastic Four stuff, from the 1960's, and those comics really seem aimed towards children. However some of the storylines I have read into from the modern age seem pretty "mature" and really interest me as an adult.

Maybe that's why your dad got back into them? Who knows; it is really awesome to share a hobby with your dad that's for sure.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sure, which is a totally valid and worthwhile and necessary argument to have, but how does being a consistently petulant ass make anything better? What is he doing to change anything aside from limiting how much of his work gets out there and alienating anybody who decides that maybe they can separate the specific works of authors from their evil publishers?

But they were paramount in his life, and changed it for the better, and continue to be integral to him, and allowed him to change other peoples' lives without ever having meet them so why can't that be said for others? And as for the worldwide revolution thing, yeah, they may not cause some giant movement but getting inspiring stories featuring universally recognizable heroes/symbols is totally a huge positive and should be praised.

Universally recognized corporate icons that will never see the public domain. =)

Kipp

Let me tell you ComicsGAF; how I wish Enik Bilal and Moebius trades weren't so fucking expensive...

Seriously. I'd really like to give some Moebius stuff a try--especially Incal--but the pricing is pretty nuts. It'd be nice if some cheap paperback collections were published at least.

Hellboy still hasn't shipped :/

Oof. I was going to ask about that. That's such a bummer.

So Jeff Lemire, do you prefer Sweet Tooth or Essex County??

This doesn't really answer your question, but I read the first volume of Essex County that I picked up at the library last week and I really, really enjoyed it. Really great, poignant slice-of-life stuff. The emotions are conveyed expertly. I really need to pick up the full collection sometime (and I also really want to read Sweet Tooth sometime, but haven't yet).

I'm really excited to read this. I've had it waiting on my shelf for a long time but haven't gotten around to it, but I love Frank Miller and I especially love the stuff he draws as well as writes, so I'm really looking forward to it when I do get to it.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
Maybe one of you can help me out here. I'm trying to think of an Image crossover comic that featured Spawn. What was special about it was that each special character was drawn right from the artist that created them/most popular with. So every appearance of Spawn in the comic was drawn by Todd McFarlane, another character by another artist, another by another, etc. It's vague, I know, but if anyone knows what it is I'd greatly appreciate it.

That one was Image United. They have done a few image crossovers. I always wanted to read Altered Image because it had The Maxx in it. I don't know if it's any good.

Image United. As far as I recall, I think only 3 out of the proposed 6 issues have ever come out.

Edit: Dammit, Zer0 Kane!

frye

It's not necessarily MSRP, but availability. The only Moebius that comes out over here is the stuff that Humanoids has control over (so basically the Jodo collabs) and they tend to do limited runs of expensive-ish hardcovers. The rest of his bibliography is supposedly under the control of his widow who - rumour has it - has hopes that a big name publisher picks it up which is why you don't see any Fantagraphics/IDW/Marvel/whoever Moebius collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom