• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you bought the Inhumans OHC, does it collect Jenkis complete run?

Yep yep, really looking forward to re-reading it.

Son of M and Silent War are both very good Marvel comics.

Yeah! I have Silent War in the single issues but have been trying to collect all the big Inhumans arcs, so it wasn't a bad buy. Never got the chance to read Son of M so looking forward to that.

Already have New Avengers: Illuminati and Secret Invasion: Inhumans. Hickman's FFs omnibuses as well as War of Kings/Realm of Kings are next on my list.

I think I'm good with that? Any other major or obscure-but-good Inhumans stories I need to look out for?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. I forgot Bob's Burgers was today.
I'm so excited to hear some impressions of it. That's one of my most anticipated comics. Haha

Edit: Oh man. Just read the preview that had the first few pages of the Tina story and also saw in the description that one of the stories is "Louise's Unsolved Mysteries."
This might be the most difficult book to trade-wait for I've ever encountered.

Also, Comixology says it's 37 pages. Whaaat.

Brothers and Sisters of ComicGAF, I come to you today to ask, Have you accepted Batman Beyond 2.0 int your life?

If you have then may Terry be with you. Go in peace.

I'm all about accepting more Batman in my life... what a good jumping on point?
New arc coming up?

-

Geof Darrow God Hates Astronauts #1 variant.
God-Hates-Astronauts-1-Geoff-Darrow-Cover-Exclusive.jpg
Of course I have to buy it lol bastards

Is this worth picking up?

I've been meaning to read it but so far behind not sure if it's worth catching up.

You could actually pick up this issue and pick up what's going on already and still see the mystery unfolding.

Here is a recap of the first 10.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uO6PGfDevw

The fact that I get to read a Bat book every week has been a great joy so I definitely recommend it. It is $12/month though. It will be a story that cost $144 by the time it's done. I would only recommend it if your a big Batfan who is interested in reading about the current affairs of Batman in the nu52.

Syntsui

Sorry for the random question, but did they show who killed The Watcher and The Living Tribunal?

I don't even follow the comics and I don't even know if the events are in the same universe but I'm curious as they were always considered beyond brokenly powerful.

Isak_Borg

You could actually pick up this issue and pick up what's going on already and still see the mystery unfolding.

Here is a recap of the first 10.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uO6PGfDevw

The fact that I get to read a Bat book every week has been a great joy so I definitely recommend it. It is $12/month though. It will be a story that cost $144 by the time it's done. I would only recommend it if your a big Batfan who is interested in reading about the current affairs of Batman in the nu52.

I have access to all of the issues just a matter of reading them which I'm reluctant to do.

I kind of caught up on Original Sin & Futures end next week.

Looking for another book to binge and catch up on.

Also Jiro Batman is off the hook!

I will now spoil Batman Eternal for the people that don't read it.

Lt. Bard, soon to be Commish Bard is not a good person. He is working for the big bad.

Alfred is in the mansion with his daughter when he alarms come on. Alfred throws his daughter into the safe room. Then Tommy Elliot, Hush, grabs Alfred and pumps him full of fear toxin.

Bard then releases Zachary Gate from Blackgate and gives him his familiar costume and says we need an Architect.

Back at the mansion, Alfred's daughter finds him in shock on the ground, Alfred tells her in not a clear manner, that she needs to turn the grandfather clock to 10:48

It end with a phone call to the big bad, saying everything is in place. The only clue we get is Bard calls the big bad "mother".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So CMX has added PayPal and Amazon accounts as payment methods now. That's kinda neat I guess.
Didnt they had Paypal for ages?

Edit: no, Marvel Digital Store had this... Will stick with them, converted US prizes are a lot cheaper than Euro prizes direct on Comixology.

I'm all about accepting more Batman in my life... what a good jumping on point?
New arc coming up?

It's digital and only 99 cents an issue, I say start with the current Arc and just grab the back issues. Or if you want to wait the current arc ends next week (issues released every Saturday.)

The current arc though is SOOOO GOOD.

In regards to Batman Eternal talk

I thought it was blatantly obvious that Lt Bard was going to end up a bad guy, pretty much from the beginning

It's digital and only 99 cents an issue, I say start with the current Arc and just grab the back issues. Or if you want to wait the current arc ends next week (issues released every Saturday.)

In regards to Batman Eternal talk

I thought it was blatantly obvious that Lt Bard was going to end up a bad guy, pretty much from the beginning

I always suspected it also, but it was never concrete until now.

Damn its only digital. Love my floppies
But I do have an ipad so ill check it out. Been hearing good things about it

-

So it's in the future is see. Who is Terry? What else did I miss. Bruce still around? fill me in.
Good first issue, I bought the first 2 arcs.

Cheska

I know I'm definitely gonna be asking for recommendations in this thread before long, so I thought I'd introduce myself in the meantime.

Welcome to the family! Be prepared to sell a kidney to pay for your comics once the addiction sets in ;)

Brothers and Sisters of ComicGAF, I come to you today to ask, Have you accepted Batman Beyond 2.0 int your life?

If you have then may Terry be with you. Go in peace.

One of my packages delayed by IST is all the Batman Beyond trades GrandHarrier had suggested :( I'm rewatching Batman Beyond on Netflix in the meantime.

I didn't see anyone else answer your Lemire question, so here's my two cents.

As good as Sweet Tooth is, and it's really freaking good, I would start with Essex County. Personally I think it's the best thing he's done to date and is a great primer to the themes (families, fathers and sons) he uses throughout his work. It's a wonderful series of slice of life stories set in rural Canada.

Thank you Tim! I'll admit, the many trades for Sweet Tooth scared me off a little, I'd love to try it out in a more collected state. I went ahead and ordered Essex County though, looking forward to posting some thoughts about it once it actually arrives.

-

So it's in the future is see. Who is Terry? What else did I miss. Bruce still around? fill me in.

I do believe it gets a couple issues collected and released as a floppy regularly, but I could be wrong ask GrandHarrier. I believe he's mentioned rebuying it as a floppy.

It's based on the Batman Beyond cartoon series, which is a sequel to the Batman Animated series. Terry basically is the Batman of the day working with Bruce, and it touches back to a lot of things from the Animated series, like right now the current arc involves the Phantasm.

One of my packages delayed by IST is all the Batman Beyond trades GrandHarrier had suggested :( I'm rewatching Batman Beyond on Netflix in the meantime.

You are a good person Cheska. You won't be disappointed in it. I'll also recommend Justice League Beyond 2.0 (though the series is now done with). It was just as good as BB2.0 and I thought it had better art. The final arc is a cross over with BB.

tim1138

Welcome to the family! Be prepared to sell a kidney to pay for your comics once the addiction sets in ;)

Thank you Tim! I'll admit, the many trades for Sweet Tooth scared me off a little, I'd love to try it out in a more collected state. I went ahead and ordered Essex County though, looking forward to posting some thoughts about it once it actually arrives.

For someone new to Lemire's creator owned work, I think Essex County is the best starting place. Like I said earlier, you get a nice sense of and introduction to his writing themes as well as his art style (which a lot of people find off putting), and it's all collected now in one nice volume.
If it clicks with you, then definitely check out Sweet Tooth, the Underwater Welder, and if you can find it, the Nobody. I can't comment on Trillium as I'm still waiting for my copy to show up. His first work, Lost Dogs, is good but pretty rough around the edges and the story is pretty brutal and raw.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh my god, I just finised the Nova Part of my Annihilation Omnibus and it was so great.

I really hate how like everything is out of print from the Nova ongoing :(

Owzers

New Avengers #21:
Why don't they try to transport some people off the world they blow up? They only asked that one guy at the very end, seemed kinda rude
Seemed like everyone was too into themselves at the end too.

I watched Dredd yesterday and loved it. I need more! What do I read?
There's a comic that serves as an official follow-up to the movie, so try that out. I don't remember what it's called though.

I've only read a little Dredd myself but I've heard people recommend the Complete Case Files starting with volume 5 (I think it was that one at least). I've heard good things about The Day the Law Died and America as well.
Looks like comics are gonna be another new hobby for me. I got that new Abnett-Lanning GotG trade paperback when it came out a few weeks ago, and since then I've read through Hellboy vol. 1 and picked up Hellblazer vol. 1. And just last night, I picked the respective first volumes of Justice League Dark and the Marvel NOW version of Hawkeye.

I know I'm definitely gonna be asking for recommendations in this thread before long, so I thought I'd introduce myself in the meantime.
Welcome! Feel free to ask for recommendations or post impressions here, we're a pretty friendly group.

btw buy and read Superior Foes of Spider-Man when you're looking for new books

Okay so I've been going wild putting holds on volumes at my local library and I decided, "hey, why not suggest a purchase?" So on a whim I get all the info for the Doom Patrol Omnibus and fill out the request for purchase form with a short note that it's an "absolute must-have for any collection". Today I got an email back stating its been purchased and a hold has been placed for it on my account. I seriously didn't expect them to even ORDER it, let alone notify me within days and allow me the honor to be the first to check it out. Ya hear that Buffalo comic readers, we know have a fucking copy of the Doom Patrol Omnibus.

My advice, at least try making purchase suggestions to your local library, you never know!

-

It's also physical. Most recent version were called "Batman Beyond Unlimited" and "Batman Beyond Universe". They typically include two chapters or Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond each.

Out of curiosity did you ever watch Batman Beyond the cartoon?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Okay so I've been going wild putting holds on volumes at my local library and I decided, "hey, why not suggest a purchase?" So on a whim I get all the info for the Doom Patrol Omnibus and fill out the request for purchase form with a short note that it's an "absolute must-have for any collection". Today I got an email back stating its been purchased and a hold has been placed for it on my account. I seriously didn't expect them to even ORDER it, let alone notify me within days and allow me the honor to be the first to check it out. Ya hear that Buffalo comic readers, we know have a fucking copy of the Doom Patrol Omnibus.

My advice, at least try making purchase suggestions to your local library, you never know!

That's pretty much the coolest library ever now. Also, you should read it, and then leave that omnibus in the Young Adult sections. Get these kids brains all jacked up on weird and wonderful shit.

Splatt

We're back at the end of Thanos Imperative with Nova and Quill fighting Thanos. Quill is holding the Cosmic Cube. Out of nowhere HULK, err, I mean Drax appears in his old costume and starts trading blows with Thanos. Cue some witty repertoar from Nova and Quill. Somewhere along the way it's mentioned that Thanos actually has no idea how to use neither the Cosmic Cube or Infinity Gauntlet, he was improvising every time.

Few fight scenes later, Quill uses Cosmic Cube out of desperation to blast Thanos. Thanos shrugs it off and tells Quill to give him the Cosmic Cube if they want to get out alive. They're being surrounded by bugs from Cancerverse.

TO BE CONTINUED

Mafro

Just seen on Twitter that there's an Uncanny Avengers omnibus listed for February with 25 main issues plus the Age of Ultron tie in and the annual. guess it is getting relaunched after Axis as Astonishing Avengers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just seen on Twitter that there's an Uncanny Avengers omnibus listed for February with 25 main issues plus the Age of Ultron tie in and the annual. guess it is getting relaunched after Axis as Astonishing Avengers.
Looking forward to buying it. Every excited after all these praise on ComicGAF.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I just finished the Flex Mentallo/Pentagon arc of Doom Patrol. I think that may have been the best arc yet, and that's really saying something. I can rarely read 3 issues right in a row, but that arc was so gripping that it was a breeze to get through the whole arc in one sitting.
I feel like a broken record with these Doom Patrol posts, but it's just too good.

Also, that Mike Dringenberg art in #42 was fantastic! Just looked up what other work he's done and it seems that the only other comic he's drawn a decent amount for is Sandman, which is a shame since that means he hasn't really done much comics work, but is awesome because now I'm really excited to see his art when I eventually read Sandman!

The fill-in issue Steve Yeowell did the art for (#43) was really good-looking as well.

For a run that's 25 years old, the art is really on point. Richard Case is always good and all of the fill-ins so far have been a real treat.

That is seriously cool.

Mr.Towel

I watched Dredd yesterday and loved it. I need more! What do I read?

Yea I was surprisingly into it. And Comixology had a Dredd sale two weeks ago but I wasn't sure what to snatch up so I missed out.

Complete Case Files 5 is a great jumping on point. The earlier books are fun, so if you want to start right at 1 go ahead, but 5 is where it really gets good. It's super easy to jump in to, if you know the basics of the character you'll be fine, and it has Judge Death Lives and Apocalypse War, two really good classic stories.

Messi

I nearly bought All New Ultimates today because of the cover, same as last month. Then I opened the book and seen that wretched art inside. Why can't the interior art be like this :(

Who is responsible for this cover, id love to see more of their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom