• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So I just finished the Flex Mentallo/Pentagon arc of Doom Patrol. I think that may have been the best arc yet, and that's really saying something. I can rarely read 3 issues right in a row, but that arc was so gripping that it was a breeze to get through the whole arc in one sitting.
I feel like a broken record with these Doom Patrol posts, but it's just too good.

That was the spoiler I put in my post a little while back, referring to the triumphant ass moment where
Flex makes the Pentagon a circle
. Also, that last scene/line is like a Morrison constant--dude knows how to end stories with the perfect last line, even if it's a pun.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Off topic, but close enough:

Does anyone happen to have Hunter S. Thompson's The Curse of Lono hardcover? I really need to get it soon. Presumably about half the pages of the 200 page, basically Absolute/Library edition-sized hardcover showcase this insane Ralph Steadman art:

s7301026.jpg

Probably my favorite Hunter S. Thompson book accompanied by some crazy/amazing art in what looks to be a super high-quality hardcover. I need that.

There's a comic that serves as an official follow-up to the movie, so try that out. I don't remember what it's called though.

I've only read a little Dredd myself but I've heard people recommend the Complete Case Files starting with volume 5 (I think it was that one at least). I've heard good things about The Day the Law Died and America as well.

Complete Case Files 5 is a great jumping on point. The earlier books are fun, so if you want to start right at 1 go ahead, but 5 is where it really gets good. It's super easy to jump in to, if you know the basics of the character you'll be fine, and it has Judge Death Lives and Apocalypse War, two really good classic stories.

Thanks guys. My library has Complete Case Files 1 through 5. I'll read those first and if I really like 5, start looking for the rest on IST.

So I just finished the Flex Mentallo/Pentagon arc of Doom Patrol. I think that may have been the best arc yet, and that's really saying something. I can rarely read 3 issues right in a row, but that arc was so gripping that it was a breeze to get through the whole arc in one sitting.
I feel like a broken record with these Doom Patrol posts, but it's just too good.

Also, that Mike Dringenberg art in #42 was fantastic! Just looked up what other work he's done and it seems that the only other comic he's drawn a decent amount for is Sandman, which is a shame since that means he hasn't really done much comics work, but is awesome because now I'm really excited to see his art when I eventually read Sandman!

I am in the first few pages of issue 43 and things are getting rather creepy.

Filthy Slug said:
That's prsety much the coolest library ever now. Also, you should read it, and then leave that omnibus in the Young Adult sections. Get these kids brains all jacked up on weird and wonderful shit.

I will do my best. The library it will be owned by is quite small and has a small section of comic trades, which by no accident, is right near the young adult section. Considering the size of the book it will be hard to miss.

Kipp said:
That is seriously cool.
Yea, you do the library thing too don't you? It may have been you that motivated me to check it out and take advantage of what's available.

I will really have to discipline myself to read it before it's due. Luckily I can renew two times as long as there's not a hold on it. How long is it exactly? I think three weeks is a good amount of time as long as I adhere to a strict reading schedule.

I'd love to own it but looking over my budget and expenses lately I reslly have to cull my spending on comics. So this is a great alternative.

But really, people should just check out their local library. Most have online catalogs where you can search and get a good idea what's available. Interlibrary loans is a huge benefit, and many libraries participate in the ILLIAD system which allows you to request stuff your local system may not have but somewhere else might in the network. I'm waiting to hear back about some Bilal and Moebius collections...

Messi

I seen one of the Hellboy Artists Editions today. Holy shit that is something special. The art is incredible in black and white.

Tizoc

Hold the phone, hold the mutha effin' phone
Batman & Robin 34
It's OK for the Bat family to be angry at Bruce for the Joker fiasco, but Frankenstein just needed to 'deal with it'?

Batman & Robin 34
It's OK for the Bat family to be angry at Bruce for the Joker fiasco, but Frankenstein just needed to 'deal with it'?

It's Frankenstein. He's not even a person. He's dead. He has no rights.

Also, it's Frankenstein.

fertygo

Wayward read just like frigging manga lol
Batman & Robin 34

Bat already say sorry to him too.

Kipp

That was the spoiler I put in my post a little while back, referring to the triumphant ass moment where
Flex makes the Pentagon a circle
. Also, that last scene/line is like a Morrison constant--dude knows how to end stories with the perfect last line, even if it's a pun.

Yes! What I loved about both of those moments was that they were both so ridiculous and laughable, but in context, they were still so powerful.
Especially with that Flex moment, as I read it, I was equal parts chuckling at the goofiness of what was happening and moved by said triumphant ass moment.

I think that's kind of Doom Patrol in a nutshell.

Owzers

Just seen on Twitter that there's an Uncanny Avengers omnibus listed for February with 25 main issues plus the Age of Ultron tie in and the annual. guess it is getting relaunched after Axis as Astonishing Avengers.

This is the best thing about print issues coming with digital codes, i don't feel that compelled to rebuy them in collected editions unless i loved them. If you've never read Uncanny Avengers i'd definitely recommend the omnibus but i'm having mixed feelings about Uncanny. It started off poorly, got incredibly interesting with the introduction of the twins, but Remender really lost me
with where the story went, time travelly Kang adventure.
I don't think it will be a book that i really want to go back to down the line.

ReAxion

I nearly bought All New Ultimates today because of the cover, same as last month. Then I opened the book and seen that wretched art inside. Why can't the interior art be like this :(

Who is responsible for this cover, id love to see more of their work.

Is milonogiannis the artist i was waiting for? and why does jordie have to be on this one? ugh, i dont want to buy this dumb booook

Kipp

Yea, you do the library thing too don't you? It may have been you that motivated me to check it out and take advantage of what's available.

I will really have to discipline myself to read it before it's due. Luckily I can renew two times as long as there's not a hold on it. How long is it exactly? I think three weeks is a good amount of time as long as I adhere to a strict reading schedule.

I'd love to own it but looking over my budget and expenses lately I reslly have to cull my spending on comics. So this is a great alternative.

But really, people should just check out their local library. Most have online catalogs where you can search and get a good idea what's available. Interlibrary loans is a huge benefit, and many libraries participate in the ILLIAD system which allows you to request stuff your local system may not have but somewhere else might in the network. I'm waiting to hear back about some Bilal and Moebius collections...

Yep, I do do the library thing! Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason the two libraries closest to me decided that they want to be completely independent from the rest of the San Diego County libraries, so that means no interlibrary loans. But luckily they both have pretty impressive comic selections, so it's not all bad. I probably don't take advantage of the libraries as much as I should though, since I'm a sucker for wanting to actually own things rather than just borrowing them. I do love the library for books that I've had a passing interest in, but not enough interest to purchase though. I usually end up very pleasantly surprised by a book I didn't think I'd like too much.

And Doom Patrol is 46 issues, 1200 pages. You should be able to finish in the 3-week period, but you probably won't have a ton of time to spare. Haha. You're in for such a treat though!

I seen one of the Hellboy Artists Editions today. Holy shit that is something special. The art is incredible in black and white.

Oh geez. After I get all caught up on Hellboy and BPRD (who knows how long that'll take) I think I'll have to ponder picking that up. Mignola's art is my favorite ever. In fact, if I wasn't worried about spoilers (since the AE is for Hellboy in Hell which is pretty recent in the Hellboy run) I may have already picked it up. Haha
Edit: Oh man, didn't realize that the Artist Edition didn't only have Hellboy in Hell: "This Artist’s Edition features the first five issues of Hellboy in Hell as well as a wealth of historic supplementary material: the first three Hellboy stories—the two initial four-pagers, produced for promotional purposes, and the 10-page story from John Byrne’s Nextmen #21—plus The Corpse, and two other tales selected by Mignola for inclusion."
It's going to take a lot for me to not buy this after I've caught up on Hellboy (as long as it isn't OOP and way overpriced by then).

I am in the first few pages of issue 43 and things are getting rather creepy.

You guys are catching up to me too fast. I got a bit of a head start on the omnibus and you're already reading the same arc I just finished an hour ago.
But yeah, how great is that arc? It made me especially excited for Morrison's Nameless, because he does such a great job with horror and suspense in that arc. Especially starting with those prologue sections in the previous arc.

tim1138

I will do my best. The library it will be owned by is quite small and has a small section of comic trades, which by no accident, is right near the young adult section. Considering the size of the book it will be hard to miss.

So happy to see my years of proselytizing for public libraries in this thread is finally paying off.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the part in Uncanny Avengers where
Jafar told them the exact moment in time they have to fuck

Tizoc

Ms. Marvel #7
Wow really Logan? That delivery just seemed weak IMO
Nice art but I mainly skimmed this issue didn't care for the dialog much.

...and why the heck are the Inhumans on Earth?

It's Frankenstein. He's not even a person. He's dead. He has no rights.

Also, it's Frankenstein.

You've never read Morrison's Frankenstein have you?
Bat fanboys and you're excuses, sheesh

Wayward read just like frigging manga lol

Bat already say sorry to him too.

From what I remember it was like 'Look I'm sorry, now get over it and let me do what i came to do', but with Babs, Tim and Jason he was a lot more considerate.

EDIT:
Multiversity #1
Ending was rather disappointing but hopefully it picks up in the next issue.

ReAxion

Yep, I do do the library thing! Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason the two libraries closest to me decided that they want to be completely independent from the rest of the San Diego County libraries, so that means no interlibrary loans.

The bizarre reason is The Bank From Sex Criminals. Sooner Or Late The Bank Will Take Everything You Love.

I nearly bought All New Ultimates today because of the cover, same as last month. Then I opened the book and seen that wretched art inside. Why can't the interior art be like this :(

Wretched? It's the best artist this book has had. Giannis Milonogiannis is a legit master of the form.

Kipp

The bizarre reason is The Bank From Sex Criminals. Sooner Or Late The Bank Will Take Everything You Love.

Oh yeah! I forgot that we share the same local library.
I haven't read Sex Criminals yet though (holding out for an oversized hardcover), so the reference is lost on me. Sorry :p

Harley #10 was another great issue. 2 great issues in one month and this one sets up the Power Girl team-up perfectly. This is a fantastically deranged, fun book.

fertygo

[

From what I remember it was like 'Look I'm sorry, now get over it and let me do what i came to do', but with Babs, Tim and Jason he was a lot more considerate.

Now, you're just nitpicking thing :p
You know his tone will more or less same if he talking to such like Dick and Supe, the angsty younguns need different treatment.

Bii

Ms. Marvel #7
Wow really Logan? That delivery just seemed weak IMO
Nice art but I mainly skimmed this issue didn't care for the dialog much.

...and why the heck are the Inhumans on Earth?

Because of Infinity.
Black Bolt detonates the Terrigen Bomb that destroyed Attilan along with it.

Yeah, Wolvie's dialog is kind of soft but the exchanges between him and Kamala was fun to read.

Who is responsible for this cover, id love to see more of their work.

David Nakayama.

Ultimate Cho and Iron Lad this week. Things are getting crazy.

Avengers #34: HOW DOES THAT FEEL HANK? KNOWING THE AVENGERS ARE COMING FOR YOUR ASS!

My day has come.

so_good.gif

Damn, DC's weeklies are awesome right now. Futures End 17 was great. The Superman behind the mask?

Shazam! Billy Batson, 5 years older. Kal-el, Clark Kent, Superman is MIA until......that last page!

Messi

Wretched? It's the best artist this book has had. Giannis Milonogiannis is a legit master of the form.

It changed artist this month? Is that permanent? Seemed mostly the same to me. But I could be wrong. I just flicked through it.

That Hellboy artists edition is huuuuuge guys

The book starts off with John Constantine and two others in the Horn of Africa where a whole village is bloodied and everyone is dead and mangled. Gruesome. They are looking for someone, I need to go back to the last issue, I forgot who. They think the person that killed the village is looking for that same person. Cut to the end, in the middle of the desert, the ground starts shaking and out of the sand, huge spouts of water and out of the spouts is a shirtless man with scruffy hair, full beard and red glowing eyes, wearing denim jeans and Constantine says "Kal-el of Krypton I presume?"

VeeP

The book starts off with John Constantine and two others in the Horn of Africa where a whole village is bloodied and everyone is dead and mangled. Gruesome. They are looking for someone, I need to go back to the last issue, I forgot who. They think the person that killed the village is looking for that same person. Cut to the end, in the middle of the desert, the ground starts shaking and out of the sand, huge spouts of water and out of the spouts is a shirtless man with scruffy hair, full beard and red glowing eyes, wearing denim jeans and Constantine says "Kal-el of Krypton I presume?"

Which Superman was it though? Was it Kal of Earth 2? The one corrupted by Darkseid, hence the red eyes?

Or was it just Kal of Earth 1, who had red eyes because he just used Heat Vision?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Which Superman was it though? Was it Kal of Earth 2? The one corrupted by Darkseid, hence the red eyes?

Or was it just Kal of Earth 1, who had red eyes because he just used Heat Vision?

EARTH 2 SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ LAST ISSUE.

It's Earth 1 Kal. Earth 2 evil Kal was actually a Bizarro clone.

Boogiepop

Oh nice, progress on the Hellboy Library Edition front! IST has three of them picked for my order, so now they just need to get the other 3 in! Unfortunately one of those 3 is the first one though, so if I end up with a partial shipment I won't be able to touch it anyway!

VeeP

EARTH 2 SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ LAST ISSUE.

It's Earth 1 Kal. Earth 2 evil Kal was actually a Bizarro clone.

Wait, could you elaborate on what happened to Earth 2 Superman then? Did he die? I haven't been keeping up with Earth 2. I thought Darkseid basically kidnapped Kal and experimented/tortured/brainwashed him to be his warrior.

How does he have memories of Lois if he's a bizarro clone?

Wait, could you elaborate on what happened to Earth 2 Superman then? Did he die? I haven't been keeping up with Earth 2. I thought Darkseid basically kidnapped Kal and experimented/tortured/brainwashed him to be his warrior.

Tom Taylor.

I love what Johns and JRJR are doing with Superman. Issue 34 was fantastic. I don't know who the Machinist is but that did not stop me from really enjoying the book.

Messi

I love what Johns and JRJR are doing with Superman. Issue 34 was fantastic. I don't know who the Machinist is but that did not stop me from really enjoying the book.

Any idea when a trade is coming? I'd like to give it a go as you seem to be digging it. Not a big Superman fan but I am open to changing that.

That brainwashed experimented and tortured Superman we saw in Earth 2 turns out to be a Bizzaro clone and crumbles away. The real Earth 2 Superman is presumed dead again. Though Darkseid could have kidnapped Earth 2 Supes and tortured him for what he knew. Since we did see that Darkseid has a room full of multiverse Supermen.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Any idea when a trade is coming? I'd like to give it a go as you seem to be digging it. Not a big Superman fan but I am open to changing that.

Late 2015 at earliest when you want the Hardcover. Softcover in early 2016.

DCs Releasestratgy is horseshit. The guy who makes the decisions for the dates in this department should be fired.

If you were wondering how well Nocenti wrapped up her Catwoman run.
Catwoman #34 is a completely weak and underwhelming finale to Nocenti's Catwoman run. The story was unengaging, Catwoman barely did anything in the actual issue, the writing was a mess, and the artwork was just forgettable and drab. And, fittingly, that's how Nocenti's entire run ends. It started with an god-awful origin story and ended falling flat on its face and breaking its nose. I'd wager a guess that most people will end up remembering this run as easily the worst comic book run of the New 52.

Messi

If you were wondering how well Nocenti wrapped up her Catwoman run.

I'm glad. What a complete and utter shit show. Never managed to climb out of the hole Nocenti dug in the origin issue.

I will never give Ann Nocenti another cent.

She can fuck right off.

Edit : hrm top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom