• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's comics:

Saga: Man, not only does this book have a slow as hell release schedule, but it's slower than a goddamn Bendis comic. Literally the whole damn year has been a slow crawl to.... nothing? Good art though. C-

All New X-Men: Pointless issue after a pointless last issue. But the last page got my hyped for next month. C+

Cyclops: Cyclops A+

Avengers:
The anti-intellectual, tea partier witch hunt begins. Reed and Tony's east coast liberal elite are going down. Don't tread on my Avengers!
Fugly ass art though. B-

Wolverine and the X-Men: Had to pick this up because I heard it was a Storm and Wolverine focused issue. What the fuck did I read???
They spent a year living together and fucking and ruling over THE WORLD and Storm is now a goddess there?
B

Guardians of the Galaxy: Wanted to know what happened to Dick Rider. D

Messi

Today's comics:

Saga: Man, not only does this book have a slow as hell release schedule, but it's slower than a goddamn Bendis comic. Literally the whole damn year has been a slow crawl to.... nothing? Good art though. C-

All New X-Men: Pointless issue after a pointless last issue. But the last page got my hyped for next month. C+

Cyclops: Cyclops A+

Avengers:
The anti-intellectual, tea partier witch hunt begins. Reed and Tony's east coast liberal elite are going down. Don't tread on my Avengers!
Fugly ass art though. B-

Wolverine and the X-Men: Had to pick this up because I heard it was a Storm and Wolverine
focused issue. What the fuck did I read??? They spent a year living together and fucking and ruling over THE WORLD and Storm is now a goddess there?
B

Guardians of the Galaxy: Wanted to know what happened to Dick Rider. D

That All new X-Men review is Bendis in a nutshell. Lol.

Hi Comics GAF. First time posting here and definitely not the last (hopefully?). big Bat fan, and after reading on comixology for the last several years, I just started a physical Legends of the Dark Knight collection. Something about numerous creative teams and compact stories really appeal to me.

XrW9kje.jpg

sZcP4Oc.jpg

1V0vCY0.jpg

Also picked up some paperbacks and two hardcovers. I love Matt Wagner's work enough that I bought a collected set of his LotDK story, although I will eventually buy the individual comics for collection's sake.

Lastly, Supes fans. What was your favorite arc/creative team from New 52 Action Comics and New 52 Superman? I have Action Comics vol 1 as you can see, but I bought it almost entirely because of Morrison. I like what I read so far, but I also enjoyed Perez's Superman #1. Merino's art seemed a bit better than Morales's to me. Also, what's the better book right now?

Can't believe I bought Uncanny Avengers volumes 2 and 3. I've only read volume 2 and it was such a chore. I really hate this series. I hate it even more because Rogue left X-Men for this.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
Any idea when a trade is coming? I'd like to give it a go as you seem to be digging it. Not a big Superman fan but I am open to changing that.

According to the schedule they put out a week or two ago the hardcover is scheduled for August 11 2015....yeah.

Edit: way late.

I honestly had never believed, that this guy can still do such beautiful art. The last year, everything JRJR did was utterly ugly.

He is so goddamn hit or miss. I almost wrote him off completely after World War Hulk. Obviously it's not all like that, but you can tell when he's bringing his A-Game and when he is phoning it in.

Dalek

Bendis doing Double-Let Downs today with Guardians and All-New X-Men.

I'm also surprised to see the results of Kang's plan lasting in Uncanny Avengers.
Havok disfigured and together with Janet, Sunfire back in Apocalypse form, Rogue with Wonder Man in her head, and Horseman Banshee captured

Just seen on Twitter that there's an Uncanny Avengers omnibus listed for February with 25 main issues plus the Age of Ultron tie in and the annual. guess it is getting relaunched after Axis as Astonishing Avengers.

Nice. I only have the first trade, so I will wait for the omnibus to get a physical copy now. Have they fixed the crap that happened to the Infinity omnibus (I ended up buying the UK trades for that one)?

Owzers

Late 2015 at earliest when you want the Hardcover. Softcover in early 2016.

DCs Releasestratgy is horseshit. The guy who makes the decisions for the dates in this department should be fired.

Didio commented awhile ago on trades, he doesn't like them, so DC doesn't bring them out earlier. DC wants people to buy monthly issues even if it enrages others.

This board doesn't like Tom Taylor?

Guess I didn't get the memo.
No, not this board, me as a man. Tom Taylor disrespects me and the comics medium everytime he picks up his typewriter. He yhinks he is yhe voice of the voiceless but he does not deserve it. In Australia, the toilet water spins counter clockwise, with his shit flying upstream as a professional writer of comics. Now I may not be able to build a tunnel to China with my barehands. But I got the fire. Phew.

Is the latest Savage Hulk any good?

So, last week I wouldn't have recommended it as anything special. Fun to see X-Men and Hulk together (since I've always thought that was one of those obvious matches that rarely ever happens) but just a typical "Banner tries to get rid of the Hulk" issue. But this week kicked it up a notch. Brought in some concepts that haven't really been touched in the last decade, great Banner and Xavier interactions.

I liked it.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
The libraries in Michigan are brilliant as well. Have been taking advantage of that for years. They have something called melcat. I can request for books from a huge number of libraries across Michigan and pick it up from my local library.

http://elibrary.mel.org/search

Thank you for reminding me of this! It's been quite awhile since I've used it and forgot the site for local branches wouldn't automatically list stuff from other districts.
Now I'm totally going on a DC Kirby binge because of this!

Messi

Didio commented awhile ago on trades, he doesn't like them, so DC doesn't bring them out earlier. DC wants people to buy monthly issues even if it enrages others.

So that's why my Marvel and Image trade collections keep growing much larger than my DC collection. That's fine Didio, if you don't want my money Marvel or Image can have it. Mostly image.

Wretched? It's the best artist this book has had. Giannis Milonogiannis is a legit master of the form.

For real. He's one of my top 5 artists right now. I dunno if Jordie Bellaire is a good fit for his stuff. but it's still good (and also he said he was figuring things out this ish, and next looks better, so i'm doubly stoked for #8). I liked the issue, too. I haven't been keeping up on it but I like the team.

Messi

Nobody told me Robbi Rodriguez is doing art for Spider-Gwen. Why can't this be a thing going forward. Even in the Ultimates universe.

For real. He's one of my top 5 artists right now. I dunno if Jordie Bellaire is a good fit for his stuff. but it's still good (and also he said he was figuring things out this ish, and next looks better, so i'm doubly stoked for #8). I liked the issue, too. I haven't been keeping up on it but I like the team.

I love everyone on the team, but I couldn't deal with the art so I had to drop it. Loved all of them in Miles solo series per cataclysm.

I wish I could enjoy it now. Those covers are fantastico.

So that's why my Marvel and Image trade collections keep growing much larger than my DC collection. That's fine Didio, if you don't want my money Marvel or Image can have it. Mostly image.

Image is so good about trades. I got back into comics mostly because of Marvel Now! and Hickman's Avengers, but am glad to see my Image shelf filling up.

Messi

Image is so good about trades. I got back into comics mostly because of Marvel Now! and Hickman's Avengers, but am glad to see my Image shelf filling up.

No one comes close to the speed and quality they put out. I know when I buy an image book it is going to be top quality paper and such. Can't wait to see the quality of the SAGA hardcover.

It's usually a 5-6 issue arc skip a month to release the trade and then back with new issues the month after. People can catch up and buy the trades. DCs strategy stops people catching up, it's short sighted. When I caught up on saga I couldn't wait for trades anymore and moved to singles.

Nobody told me Robbi Rodriguez is doing art for Spider-Gwen. Why can't this be a thing going forward. Even in the Ultimates universe.

I love everyone on the team, but I couldn't deal with the art so I had to drop it. Loved all of them in Miles solo series per cataclysm.

I wish I could enjoy it now. Those covers are fantastico.

Yeah I wasn't jazzed on Pinna's art, but I might give the trade a shot. I've dealt with worse art in books i like. See: Spider, Scarlet.

frye

hmm, not sure how I feel about rogue in Uncanny Avengers

on one hand, this is a hilariously regressive development. on the other, this is really the most interesting she ever was imo

ElNarez

Banned

on one hand, this is a hilariously regressive development. on the other, this is really the most interesting she ever was imo

AND YET SHE'S STILL THE WORST CHARACTER BY A MILE.

Best thing you could do to salvage the character is pull a Magneto in New X-Men and kill her, except instead of slowly building up to her return, you leave her dead.

Forever.

I want Rogue to be dead forever.

Messi

Best thing you could do to salvage the character is pull a Magneto in New X-Men and kill her, except instead of slowly building up to her return, you leave her dead.

Forever.

You are a bad person Kitty and Rogue are my Xmen.

Red Lanterns had a few bad-ass moments surrounded by some mediocrity. Sometimes, Soule will write a comic that is flat out amazing, the next month that same story can be pure mediocrity. His inconsistency is starting to wear thin on me. He needs to lighten the work load and concentrate on projects he loves. Id rather be the guy that wrote one truly good comic rather than 10 mediocre to slightly above average comics.

Forever.

iunno, her role in the climax of the storyline was incredible and surprising and superhero perfect.

Sadist

Avengers #34

Oh boy, this will end well. I do prefer New Avengers, but the last few issues have been nice enough. Sure, Steve is a boyscout forever, but eh, can't wait for another fall-out.

Cyclops #4

Great. Both Scott and his dad are fun plus a great dynamic.

Uncanny Avengers #23

Strange issue. This is the event leading to Axis right? Not sure about it.

That was my feeling as well. Back to the 80s Claremont days with Carol Danvers in her head, aint that bout a bitch. Really gotta wonder how long that development gonna last

LMAO @ Immortus telling Havok/Wasp the time and place they need to fuck to get their kid back, comic books ya'll

That was my feeling as well. Back to the 80s Claremont days with Carol Danvers in her head, aint that bout a bitch. Really gotta wonder how long that development gonna last

LMAO @ Immortus telling Havok/Wasp the time and place they need to fuck to get their kid back, comic books ya'll

LOVED that shit

It's also physical. Most recent version were called "Batman Beyond Unlimited" and "Batman Beyond Universe". They typically include two chapters or Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond each.

Out of curiosity did you ever watch Batman Beyond the cartoon?

Cool thanks.
Off the top of my head I really don't remember. I was to say I probably did idk
Did I read its on Netflix?

Hi Comics GAF. First time posting here and definitely not the last (hopefully?). big Bat fan, and after reading on comixology for the last several years, I just started a physical Legends of the Dark Knight collection. Something about numerous creative teams and compact stories really appeal to me.

Also picked up some paperbacks and two hardcovers. I love Matt Wagner's work enough that I bought a collected set of his LotDK story, although I will eventually buy the individual comics for collection's sake.

Lastly, Supes fans. What was your favorite arc/creative team from New 52 Action Comics and New 52 Superman? I have Action Comics vol 1 as you can see, but I bought it almost entirely because of Morrison. I like what I read so far, but I also enjoyed Perez's Superman #1. Merino's art seemed a bit better than Morales's to me. Also, what's the better book right now?

Legends of the Dark Knight is fantastic. I've really enjoyed the out of continuity nature of it, like Adventures of Superman, allowing people to just tell neat one shot stories. Especially fond of "The Butler did it".

As far as favorite arc/creative teams for New 52 Superman I'd have to say either Batman/Superman (Pak/Lee) or Action Comics (Pak/Kuder).

I personally feel that both Superman (Johns/JRJR) and Action Comics are great right now. They're just different beasts.

Cool thanks.
Off the top of my head I really don't remember. I was to say I probably did idk
Did I read its on Netflix?

It definitely on Netflix US, I can say for sure. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. You can go in solo, though it does have ties to both Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League.

Hi comic GAF. I'm trying to find a way to order The Evil Within comics and I can't seem to find any way. I'm new to comics when it comes to new releases so is there any suggested method or way to go.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There is a X-Statix Omnibus for 30€ on sale in a european shop and I dont know if I should buy it or not... I have no idea what to expect from this...

There is a X-Statix Omnibus for 30€ on sale in a european shop and I dont know if I should buy it or not... I have no idea what to expect from this...

Roughly 1200 pages of awesome. I think this might have been my first big Marvel omnibus, and it's still my favorite.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished the 4th trade of Hellboy. Soooooo good.

From what I hear, Mike Mignola stopped drawing Hellboy later on. That's a real bummer.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Buy buy buy.
It's so amazing.

My shop had a box missing when they got in their books. In that box was Bob's Burgers and Bee & Puppycat.

Oof. That's a bummer.

Wish List'd. :(

But it's probably great...

Yeah, I'm trade-waiting it. Although I'm more tempted to just buy it digitally than I have been with any other book. Haha. I really want to hear how amazing it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom