• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I will maybe buy the first Issue digital and try it out... Price is incredibly... They also have a deal on BenjaminBirdies Punisher Omnibus :D

Fair warning: I wasn't totally into it until a few issues in. Like most comics, it takes a few issues to really get into the swing of things and get to know the characters.

Kipp

Don't worry. Fegredo is incredible on it. And Mignola comes back.

Oh, wow. You weren't kidding.

item1282.5.jpg
I actually didn't know that Mignola took a break on the art for Hellboy proper (knew that he didn't do the art for BPRD), but after just finding out and seeing the art, I'm not disappointed at all. The art is very reminiscent of Mignola's, but with its own special something.

Yup. He's fantastic. There are a few shorter breaks by Richard Corben who's…less my cup of tea. But the "mainline" Hellboy stories are by Mignola or Fegredo.

Oh, wow. You weren't kidding.

I actually didn't know that Mignola took a break on the art for Hellboy proper (knew that he didn't do the art for BPRD), but after just finding out and seeing the art, I'm not disappointed at all. The art is very reminiscent of Mignola's, but with its own special something.

Yep, I couldn't imagine a better replacement for Mignola and I wouldn't even call him that. He takes an established style and adds something unique to it. I love em both.

Kipp

Yep, I couldn't imagine a better replacement for Mignola and I wouldn't even call him that. He takes an established style and adds something unique to it. I love em both.

Now I'm even more excited to get to that point in Hellboy so that I can see Fegredo's art. It really does look fantastic.

It was fun and very much within the tone of the show. It was vignette stories for the kids and then one page one offs for the adults. I thought the Gene story was the best of the bunch.

Cool! Thanks for the impressions!

Owzers

I'm not a fan of Hickman's Avengers books right now, just read New Avengers #22 after 21, everyone's just annoying and making frowny faces. The book reads like it's gone nowhere, still the same handful of people talking about what they've become and how they'll never do such and such unless they do.

Finished New Avengers 23...that was a fun ending though.

Boogiepop

So, has anyone seen this Marvel Universe Live show? It's coming to my area and my friend is interested. But that's like $50 at least that could go to actual comics instead, and I'm not too sold on the quality. At the very least their website is garbage, and the Lizard costume looks really, really bad from the video.

kswiston

I'm not a fan of Hickman's Avengers books right now, just read New Avengers #22 after 21, everyone's just annoying and making frowny faces. The book reads like it's gone nowhere, still the same handful of people talking about what they've become and how they'll never do such and such unless they do.

That's wraps up in New Avengers 23. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that Hickman had to pad out his Avengers run to time up with his events. The books were going strong just before and during Infinity, but I definitely felt like things were drawn out with Avengers before Infinity and with both titles after Infinity. Hopefully that is done now that we have reached the 8-month countdown.

Hi comic GAF. I'm trying to find a way to order The Evil Within comics and I can't seem to find any way. I'm new to comics when it comes to new releases so is there any suggested method or way to go.

It seems like it is going to be released as 4 floppies. Have you checked your local comic store to see if they have any extra copies?

tim1138

Really digging what Johns is doing in Superman, especially with Ulysses. He's an interesting variance on the classic Superman origin mythos and the end of the issue was a nice twist. I hope Johns leaves Justice League next year and picks up another solo book, JSA aside, his writing shines when he only has one character to focus on.

LosDaddie

Banned
Just seen on Twitter that there's an Uncanny Avengers omnibus listed for February with 25 main issues plus the Age of Ultron tie in and the annual. guess it is getting relaunched after Axis as Astonishing Avengers.

How is this series? I'll get the omni if the series is a good read.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO @ Immortus telling Havok/Wasp the time and place they need to fuck to get their kid back, comic books ya'll

Red Skull's bathroom, 4 AM. Must hold Xavier's brain while doing it.

Really digging what Johns is doing in Superman, especially with Ulysses. He's an interesting variance on the classic Superman origin mythos and the end of the issue was a nice twist. I hope Johns leaves Justice League next year and picks up another solo book, JSA aside, his writing shines when he only has one character to focus on.
I haven't read any Justice League, but I love Johns solos. Green Lantern, Flash, and now Superman are all great. Loved the Shazam story he did for the New 52 as well.
How is this series? I'll get the omni if the series is a good read.
The reception here is kind of mixed but I LOVE the series. If you like Uncanny X-Force you'll probably enjoy it. I'd buy the omni if I didn't already start buying the trades.

Pretty sure he's set to do a Cyborg solo and has hinted at doing Shazam solo (whatever :( ).

Reading through JSA post crisis, man I think Jay Garrick might be the biggest douchebag-hypocrite. Makes Captain Marvel backoff stargirl because of age difference, finds out he's actually like 16, doesn't apologize, does the same thing to Atom Smasher. Holds a moral highground, no killing, not even planet threatening beings, but brags about enlisting in WW2 and killing Nazis.

Yeah, the parents scene was very emotional and the last page packed a punch. You can only imagine the emotions after that. Interesting to see where they go with that. The thing I love about JRJRs work in this book is the old school clean page layouts. Everything is in a panel. Every panel is a defined area of story. I just love how the story flows with these 2.

Legends of the Dark Knight is fantastic. I've really enjoyed the out of continuity nature of it, like Adventures of Superman, allowing people to just tell neat one shot stories. Especially fond of "The Butler did it".

As far as favorite arc/creative teams for New 52 Superman I'd have to say either Batman/Superman (Pak/Lee) or Action Comics (Pak/Kuder).

I personally feel that both Superman (Johns/JRJR) and Action Comics are great right now. They're just different beasts.
Thanks for the input. I told myself that I'd only pick up one book per character, and it worked out so far for Batman and Spider-Man, but it looks like I'll have to pick up both Action and Superman :p

Thanks for the input. I told myself that I'd only pick up one book per character, and it worked out so far for Batman and Spider-Man, but it looks like I'll have to pick up both Action and Superman :p

If you want to go with just one I'd say Superman with Johns and JRJR. It's the least likely to fall into crossovers at this point and the new arc is only three issues old.

LosDaddie

Banned
The reception here is kind of mixed but I LOVE the series. If you like Uncanny X-Force you'll probably enjoy it. I'd buy the omni if I didn't already start buying the trades.

What are the criticisms of it? What should I read before getting the omnibus?

I do have the UXF omnibus, but I haven't read it yet.

kswiston

Dustin Weaver sort of gives me a JrJr vibe, but with out that "I drew this entire page while watching an episode of the Wire" rush feel to it.

tim1138

I haven't read any Justice League, but I love Johns solos. Green Lantern, Flash, and now Superman are all great. Loved the Shazam story he did for the New 52 as well.

I read and enjoy Justice League, but it's definitely his weakest book in quite some time. If you didn't read it, his Aquaman run was outstanding as well.

KoruptData said:
Yeah, the parents scene was very emotional and the last page packed a punch. You can only imagine the emotions after that. Interesting to see where they go with that. The thing I love about JRJRs work in this book is the old school clean page layouts. Everything is in a panel. Every panel is a defined area of story. I just love how the story flows with these 2.

You totally felt for Supes in this issue, no doubt about it. Johns doing character work like this is typically him at his best, he strips characters down to their bare essence and then builds them back up.

I've never been a huge fan of JRJR, but his style works here. But then again he does have Klaus Janson on inks and Laura Martin on colors to bring out the best of him.

KoruptData said:
Love me some Aquaman every month. One of my favorite characters.

The transition from Johns to Jeff Parker has been flawless.

What are the criticisms of it? What should I read before getting the omnibus?

I do have the UXF omnibus, but I haven't read it yet.

Most of the complaints I've read are about the first arc. It's probably the weakest in the series so far so I can't blame anyone for not liking it. A lot of people don't like Kang, who has been one of the main antagonists, but I love him. I'm a sucker for time travel shenanigans so I've been enjoying what he brings to the series.

Uncanny X-Force is really all you need to read before this. My best advice is to read that and if you enjoy it, give Uncanny Avengers a shot.

Uncanny Avengers is great, I'd definitely recommend it as I'd recommend reading Uncanny X-Force first.

Still disliked the art this week, some panels were way too cartoony for me in the context of the series.

It was so... hokey and immature. Felt like a joke, tbh.
Yeah, I get that this is supposed to be the counterpoint to New Avenger's shades of grey, having a moral beacon who will be right in the end and all that, but he did sound like a stupid brute.

Well you've started with some great books! Hopefully you've been enjoying what you've been reading!
Welcome to the thread!

Thank you, I have been really enjoying this stuff. Hellboy and Hawkeye in particular are pretty awesome.

Welcome to the family! Be prepared to sell a kidney to pay for your comics once the addiction sets in ;)

Heh, I'm planning to stick with trade paperbacks for the foreseeable future.

Welcome! Feel free to ask for recommendations or post impressions here, we're a pretty friendly group.

btw buy and read Superior Foes of Spider-Man when you're looking for new books

Looked it up, sounds interesting. I'll definitely check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom