• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those of you who have seen GoTG and read any of the comics. Was Gamora in the movie anywhere near how she acts/handles herself in the comics? Didn't seem to be the person I imagined albeit, I haven't read any GotG comics, just read stuff on wiki and read comics vicariously through comic GAF spoilers, and impressions. Did you guys think it was a good interpretation or felt a little off? Or should I drudge the movie thread for more insight?
I posted in the spoiler thread about it, but MCU Gamora is a lot different than her 616 version. She's a lot funnier in the comics-- offering sexual favors to teammates after they do something cool, laughing while slaughtering her foes, etc.

I want to buy something. Any suggestions?
Buy the Transformers humble bundle

CGN tweeted back saying that Vol. 3 is no longer in print. Seems like of a short run, no? Only came out in January.

Eh. Are we talking about hardcover or paperback? A book will generally go from hardcover to tpb in a few months. But if it was only released as a paperback, then yeah, 7-8 months is a while. There's probably an OHC on the way or something.

Zombine

Banned
This is such a good opportunity to recommend something I love that nobody would usually actually buy... and I can't even come up with something.

I do think this arc of Busiek's Conan is super good though, if a Conan story sounds interesting to you.

Hmm. Also, have you read Fear Agent, The Black Beetle, X-Statix, Preacher, Daytripper, and Hellboy? I feel like you've probably got those covered since they're fairly popular, but all of those are excellent if there's one of those you haven't read.

But most importantly, why are you buying more books when you still have the two Sandman omnibuses among probably tons of other unread books!?
Just kidding. I totally know the feeling.

Bought Conan. Why not? It's like $10. Those other books I already own and love.

Bii, that shield would be enticing if I really liked cap. I'd rather put that dough toward something more up my alley. So cool though.

And lol I still haven't opened Sandman.

Eh. Are we talking about hardcover or paperback? A book will generally go from hardcover to tpb in a few months. But if it was only released as a paperback, then yeah, 7-8 months is a while. There's probably an OHC on the way or something.

TPB. I just ordered through Amazon, the only place I could really find it.

OH man guys. I got no comic chat tonight but I just watched the pilot episode of Twin Peaks for the first time ever this evening. Always wanted to check it out since a lot of stuff I love claims inspiration or at least reverence for it. My girlfriend and I were absolutely howling with laughter at it though haha, I had no idea it was going to be so funny. Pretty intrigued though, I might grab that boxset that just came out.

Zombine

Banned
dec131932.jpg

How can I say no?

OH man guys. I got no comic chat tonight but I just watched the pilot episode of Twin Peaks for the first time ever this evening. Always wanted to check it out since a lot of stuff I love claims inspiration or at least reverence for it. My girlfriend and I were absolutely howling with laughter at it though haha, I had no idea it was going to be so funny. Pretty intrigued though, I might grab that boxset that just came out.

You're in for a real treat; welcome to the best TV mystery ever. Did you pick up the recent bluray re-release? If so I am jealous.

I've been toying with ordering it right at this very moment. I'm afraid they'll only print it once and be done with it.

I'm concerned with that as well; I just can't drop that kind of money right now. I'm going to use it as a Christmas gift idea. Considering the amount of content I think they'll make sure it's in print for at least a few years. It's a hefty package.

Anyway, here's my pickup for this week. Grabbed a few old things I am missing that I felt compelled to pick up, alongside the new:

Grayson #2
Imperial #1
Low #1
Marshal Law #1-#6
Squidder #2
Sweets #4
Veil #2

ReAxion

I forgot about Veil. Veil #2 is still good.

3 & 4... hm. I'm gonna pick up the last one to see how it really ends, but the turns its made... I found disappointing.

I forgot about Veil. Veil #2 is still good.

3 & 4... hm. I'm gonna pick up the last one to see how it really ends, but the turns its made... I found disappointing.

Yea? I just read #1, found it intriguing but a bit slim on actual direction. However, I'm going to see it through because it's Rucka.

Guys, I can buy one (1) Morrison comic this month and I don't know whether it should be We3 or Flex Mentallo.

halp!
I know you already decided but I just want to throw in my 2 cents. we3. I think it's the best thing he's done. And for me the best thing Quitely has drawn

ReAxion

Yea? I just read #1, found it intriguing but a bit slim on actual direction. However, I'm going to see it through because it's Rucka.

I absolutely love the art all the way, but I'm really hoping for a big payoff in #5. Report back when you get to 4, or the end.

I absolutely love the art all the way, but I'm really hoping for a big payoff in #5. Report back when you get to 4, or the end.

I definitely will; the art grabbed me as well before I realized it was written by Rucka.

----

Comixology is killing me; Thanos sale now ?!

Have you ever read comics with that characters soundtrack playing? I'm listening to the Batman begins while reading batman AND ITS AWESOME. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
WTF happen to that new Middleman comic tho. McClane needs to stop fuckin around drawing Batman comics and pulp homages and get on that, we kickstarted that book mothafucka!

Yo, that print is chillin' right above my bed, framed, and it's dope as hell.

Have you ever read comics with that characters soundtrack playing? I'm listening to the Batman begins while reading batman AND ITS AWESOME. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

All-New Ghost Rider was made for Kavinsky's OutRun.

Uncanny Avengers goes good with Tron Legacy OST.

I definitely will; the art grabbed me as well before I realized it was written by Rucka.

----

Comixology is killing me; Thanos sale now ?!

I feel you

I only spent about ten dollars on it, but that's ten more than I was planning on spending last night lol. Glad I did though, I'm enjoying Thanos Quest so far and I'm really excited to read Infinity Gauntlet (I own the floppies but never opened them). Love me some Thanos.

Effect

Okay going to give the New 52 a shot. Honestly what was the tipping point for me is finding about the Val-Zod character. So going to be checking out the Earth 2 first. Just trying to decide if I want to get the first trade digitally (I have the first Kindle Fire) or the physical copy (lack of space might an issue).

I'm not crazy about the idea of pairing Superman and Wonder Woman together. So even though I like Superman as a character I still don't know if I want to bother with his titles. Unless it's clear that's not going to last. Is it?

I kinda want to get as much of an overview of the DC universe as it currently is and the big events taking place. So any recommendations as to what I should start looking at other then Earth 2?

Well, after a brief delay, it is finished!

I present Rafa and the Long Road to the Inevitable Achievement of Comics Superstardom #2

And here's a link to the previous installment.
"Comics Superstars Panel" LOL
this is great
Okay going to give the New 52 a shot. Honestly what was the tipping point for me is finding about the Val-Zod character. So going to be checking out the Earth 2 first. Just trying to decide if I want to get the first trade digitally (I have the first Kindle Fire) or the physical copy (lack of space might an issue).

I'm not crazy about the idea of pairing Superman and Wonder Woman together. So even though I like Superman as a character I still don't know if I want to bother with his titles. Unless it's clear that's not going to last. Is it?

I kinda want to get as much of an overview of the DC universe as it currently is and the big events taking place. So any recommendations as to what I should start looking at other then Earth 2?
Batman is a safe bet. Other than that I really liked the Shazam trade, it was a fun origin story. Batwoman is good too but I'd recommend starting with Batwoman: Elegy and then reading the New 52 series.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
this is fantastic

Awesome

I'm starting to see a lot of potential in this series.

Haha, this is awesome! Didn't even realize there's a #1. So when's the collected edition coming out? :p

"Comics Superstars Panel" LOL
this is great

Thanks, guys!

And Bii, the collected edition (it's going to be a Library/Absolute Edition-sized hardcover to fully showcase the art, obviously) is currently solicited for March 2019 and will contain the first 100 issues of the series. And no, I don't think I'm getting too far ahead of myself here.

Looked for a digital comics dedicated thread but couldn't find it. Does Image / DC / Dark Horse offer a service like Marvel Unlimited? Not a huge fan of the Marvel universe but I'd gladly pay $10/mo. for all-you-can eat DC and Dark Horse, at least.

Looked for a digital comics dedicated thread but couldn't find it. Does Image / DC / Dark Horse offer a service like Marvel Unlimited? Not a huge fan of the Marvel universe but I'd gladly pay $10/mo. for all-you-can eat DC and Dark Horse, at least.

Unfortunately no.

Dark Horse isn't even on Comixology!

Get hyped for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with the new Comixology sale on the IDW comics! I've read volume 1, I liked it. I gotta catch up!

Vyer

Thanks to the Humble Bundle, I just finished V1 and V2 of More Than Meets The Eye. No lie, it's a very good series. Not "I-like-Transformers-and-this-is-a-Transformers-comic" kinda way, but in a legit entertaining, well written series kinda way. Stories are engaging, characters are well fleshed out, and there's a lot of space adventure/action with humor mixed in. Honestly if these characters weren't Transformers and were something else I'd still consider this a good book.

I haven't really read many Transformers comics so some of the references were a little lost on me but I was able to work it out well enough. Also, the art is good but I could still get some of the bots mixed up at the beginning. Luckily their characteristics are expanded enough that it's not really a problem.

I'm starting Robots in Disguise soon (I believe the series runs concurrently with MTMTE) and I hope it's just as good.

Within a day or two as long as everything is actually in-stock. If not, they'll wait for whatever it is that's on backorder.

It's taken me 8 days to get all of my orders with the upgraded shipping...though there's usually 1 or 2 items that hold things up.

Hmm. Ok, thanks guys. Got two books that look like they are holding up my order. One of them is a new release though, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Superman/Wonder Woman has worked better than I anticipated, honestly. But in general I feel the same way: I like Superman but have pretty much ignored the character for the majority of the New 52. I like the first few issues of Morrison's Action Comics run to start things off, but really only got back into it when Pak picked up Action and started Superman/Batman. Now Johns' Superman run looks good too so I'm picking up Supes regularly again.

Honestly I feel you'll be pretty covered when it comes to Superman with the beginning of Morrison's Action run, Justice League and Superman/WW. What other characters are you interested in?

oh, do they still force people to use their atrocious Dark Horse app?
Yeah, their iOS app is the worst thing ever :(
Get hyped for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with the new Comixology sale on the IDW comics! I've read volume 1, I liked it. I gotta catch up!

Awesome sale. The IDW series is so so good. If anyone's interested, the first issue is free and gives a good feel for the series. I think I'm gonna pick up the micro-series trades since I'm already buying the physical trades of the main book.

Cool. I've been meaning to catch up from what I've read since their last sale. Is the micro series and villain series worth picking up?

I think I'll pass on the DMZ DC weekly sale. I've read it all in singles, but I don't think I'm interested in a re read

Effect

Honestly I feel you'll be pretty covered when it comes to Superman with the beginning of Morrison's Action run, Justice League and Superman/WW. What other characters are you interested in?

When I was collecting trades a few years ago my biggest interest was Justice Society of America and Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps. I remember deciding upon them because they seemed like the easiest to follow. With Batman and Superman there were far to many titles and I felt like to understand what was really happening with them I'd have to get several of them. That would cost to much. I grew to really like the JSoA. That was me more or less taking a blind leap. I though a team with different generations of heroes would be interesting and it was. It's how I started becoming a fan of Power Girl and the others. The first trade I got of that was when they relaunched it from JSA to JSoA. I've always liked the space aspect of Green Lantern so even not being a Hal fan I liked it. GLC especially because of Guy. Not enough John though.

I did like the Reign in Hell event that took place. I was trying to collect the issues for that and that was a mistake. I should have waited for a trade. I don't think I ever finished it. More of the supernatural stuff would be something I'm interested in.

That's really showing how long it's been since I seriously tried to follow things. I've just faded in and out of the scene from around that time catching summaries of events here and there.

Boogiepop

Cool. I've been meaning to catch up from what I've read since their last sale. Is the micro series and villain series worth picking up?

I think I'll pass on the DMZ DC weekly sale. I've read it all in singles, but I don't think I'm interested in a re read

All the micro series and whatnot (including things like Secret History of the Foot) are all in continuity, important, and totally worth a read. Outside of the annual I guess, which really just feels like an old TMNT story somehow sneaked its way into the modern continuity, and what little bit it matters can be easily understood from context anyway.

I did like the Reign in Hell event that took place. I was trying to collect the issues for that and that was a mistake. I should have waited for a trade. I don't think I ever finished it. More of the supernatural stuff would be something I'm interested in.

Batwoman has been a bat-book with more of a supernatural twist to it than the others. That might be up your alley. Also maybe give Trinity of Sin: Pandora a try, even though the series is ending soon.

All the micro series and whatnot (including things like Secret History of the Foot) are all in continuity, important, and totally worth a read. Outside of the annual I guess, which really just feels like an old TMNT story somehow sneaked its way into the modern continuity, and what little bit it matters can be easily understood from context anyway.
Cool. I assume the utrom mini counts too. Hah as someone who read the original series as a kid it amuses me that IDW is using the fringe characters like fugitoid in this reboot

Hypothetically speaking, would I be able to just read the City Fall part 1 and 2 trades and get a complete experience out of that? Like, I understand that City Fall is a cumulation of threads from issue 1, but if I went in cold, I'd be cool? Asking for my wallet.

kd-z

Hah! I just ordered it yesterday. A good friend of mine ordered one, too, so I'll have someone to discuss the episodes on a regular basis, but if you're going to keep watching I wouldn't mind you sharing your thoughts ;)
Though it'll be at least two weeks before I get a chance to watch the Blu-rays :(

Well, after a brief delay, it is finished!

I present Rafa and the Long Road to the Inevitable Achievement of Comics Superstardom #2
That was heartbreaking :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom