• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally forgot I had Fear Agent Vol 2 library sitting around waiting to be read. Finished it up last night,, so good. It was a lot different from what I expected them to do. Awesome
Are the short stories in the back just stand alones?

kd-z

It's super entertaining and super edgy.
I dunno man, I'm not sure I liked it. It felt really weird how the Squad just murdered ordinary, civilian guys and guards left and right and Waller didn't seem to care at all (or even try to take control of the situation). The tension between Killer Frost and the Sharkdude was kinda fun, actually. Harley was weird, very weird, but to be honest I'm not sure if Harley even is a character at this point. I don't remember what she was like in TAS, because I was 5 when I saw it, but some people say Dini and Timm created her so Joker had someone to talk to who wasn't a nameless goon. Since then I think the abuse angle with the Joker might have gone too far (with the infamous New 52 Suicide Squad Death of the Family issues adn whatnot) and definitely not in the right direction. I dunno, it's really hard for me to pin-point a defining characteristic of Harley other than eye-candy, but that's not being fair to her fans. I hope Messi can clarify this a bit. What's compelling about her other than her tits, man? Also, Viewtiful said Mad Love is his favourite Batman story, so there has to be something to Harley's character.

My man Floyd is still cool, though, so there's that.
Omggg. I was already interested in the witcher comic since Tobin got great reviews for Colder (which I have down to check out at some point). This cover for the trade though, it's a lock:
It'll certainly be interesting to see a piece of Witcher fiction drawn by someone who is not Polish.

It'll certainly be interesting to see a piece of Witcher fiction drawn by someone who is not Polish.

Definitely man, Querio hasn't done a lot yet but I definitely dig his style, I really liked the look of the previews the book got as it was coming out in singles. He has a BPRD gig up next so Dark Horse must like him.

That was heartbreaking :(
It's okay brah. It's part of why I am not buying any comics this month. I refuse to be a punchline. I am the bright light in which Walmart employees cast their shadow. I am coming to comics superstardom with the hunger of a thousand virgins.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I totally forgot I had Fear Agent Vol 2 library sitting around waiting to be read. Finished it up last night,, so good. It was a lot different from what I expected them to do. Awesome
Yeah, the short stories from other creators are stand alones. I just finished my reread last night, and man, that last issue is so fucking glorious.

Batwoman has been a bat-book with more of a supernatural twist to it than the others. That might be up your alley. Also maybe give Trinity of Sin: Pandora a try, even though the series is ending soon.

The first like 2 years or so of Batwoman was pretty damn good, just before/after the 2 year mark IMHO the book took a down turn. Definitely give the first 24 issues a read though.

Trinity of Sin, Pandora has been good, but it's heavily tied into Trinity War, and Forever Evil. So unless they plan on reading those as well it might not be as solid a recommendation.

I'm halfway through Assault on Arkham this morning. I get the feeling that if this was live action, the amount of Killer Frost and specially Harley topless scenes would easily match or dwarf a Game of Thrones episode on HBO.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I dunno man, I'm not sure I liked it. It felt really weird how the Squad just murdered ordinary, civilian guys and guards left and right and Waller didn't seem to care at all (or even try to take control of the situation). The tension between Killer Frost and the Sharkdude was kinda fun, actually. Harley was weird, very weird, but to be honest I'm not sure if Harley even is a character at this point. I don't remember what she was like in TAS, because I was 5 when I saw it, but some people say Dini and Timm created her so Joker had someone to talk to who wasn't a nameless goon. Since then I think the abuse angle with the Joker might have gone too far (with the infamous New 52 Suicide Squad Death of the Family issues adn whatnot) and definitely not in the right direction. I dunno, it's really hard for me to pin-point a defining characteristic of Harley other than eye-candy, but that's not being fair to her fans. I hope Messi can clarify this a bit. What's compelling about her other than her tits, man? Also, Viewtiful said Mad Love is his favourite Batman story, so there has to be something to Harley's character.

My man Floyd is still cool, though, so there's that.

Yeah, in the post I made right after watching it I said it was trashy as hell. But still entertaining.

This movie is--you know how so many people stereotype the new52 as grim and dark and edgy and hypersexual and just a complete miss in terms of characters' personalities and motivations and actions? Well, all of that is what fuels this movie. This shit hits Commando levels of casualties, and a bunch are hilariously gruesome.

And yeah, Harley is, as she has been for a while, written horrendously here. She's just psychotic and shows her tits constantly and has a bad sitcom catchphrase. There's totally something to Harley--she was one of the best additions to Batman in Dini and Timm's hands, and Mad Love is easily her best story and one of the best Batman comics in general. If you want to know the Harley that everybody loves, go grab Mad Love. Unfortunately, that ain't the Harley that's been around for a while now.

That said, I'd rather this movie, which was really fun to watch and pretty damn competent and interesting, if you detach yourself from the characters that the movie butchers, than another poorly done Grant Morrison story that they genuinely fucked beyond belief. Batman and Son was atrocious, especially considering how fucking good the source material is. Damian's introduction into the animated DCU was a wet fart. And fuck that whiny ass undeveloped baby-throat voice actor they got to play him.

Anth1888

Reading through my Ullitmate Spider-Man trades but I didn't realise just how short the normal monthly issues are I mean it's between 20-30 pages. How do you guys wait all month for that! Yes, I'm used to reading fiction but I can understand why people just wait for trades now.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
That was heartbreaking :(

:p

Love this.

You should read some Michael Deforge. Really go nuts.

Thanks!
And thanks for the recommendation! I just Googled him and his art seems way cool. What would be the best way to read his stuff though? According to his wikipedia page, his comics seem to be scattered across webcomics, actual newspaper comics, and actual books. Any recommendation on where to start?

So great. That ending was fantastic.
And like FilthySlug said, they're standalone stories, and IIRC they're non-canon too.
The quality of most of those stories really surprised me though. I was ready for them to be fairly mediocre, but I was enjoying a lot of those Tales of the Fear Agent stories as much as the main story.

It's okay brah. It's part of why I am not buying any comics this month. I refuse to be a punchline. I am the bright light in which Walmart employees cast their shadow. I am coming to comics superstardom with the hunger of a thousand virgins.

Haha. You got this, Rafa. Did you order that drawing tablet yet?

I think what Jimmy and Amanda are doing is really re-capturing the old Harley. I think with the TAS Harley, there was definitely NO abuse going on, not like they have now. I think there was also a little bit of, how to explain it, like you'd get the feeling that even SHE thought the Joker was going too far some times. I think this movie was a bit more based on the Arkham games, and portrayals of the characters than any other source material.

I always saw Harley in TAS as this naive woman who happens to fall for a complete madman. She's kind of like the wife who knows her husband is banging his secretary every other day but looks the other way and lives in this imaginary world where it's not happening. I never liked having Harley kill as much as the Joker did, or be as psychopathic as him. It always seemed more interesting to me to have her be the character almost acting like the Joker was just putting them to sleep and this was a big fun game. She's naive and living in a fantasy world.

While Amanda and Jimmy aren't hitting all of those marks, they're getting WAY closer than anyone else right now.

By the by I always loved this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSNUL2hrQM

So I just read, and did not particularly enjoy Annihilation(omnibus edition).

I bought it because it was billed as the start of some huge epic saga. Is the rest of it(the various sagas that follow annihlation) any better? Pretty disappointed about sinking so much money into something so mediocre.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Will the Abnett and Lanning book get a hardcover treatment?

If you're talking about the Guardians of the Galaxy collection that was just released, it's doubtful. Generally those big TPBs are the last way something gets collected.
The order of collected edition releases tends to follow this pattern:
Standard-size HC with about 6 issues -> TPB with same 6 issues -> Possible oversized hardcover with 2 TPBs worth of issues -> Possible omnibus with whole series -> "Complete/Ultimate Collection" TPB with 12-18-ish issues

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Someone recommend me some Image comics to read? Only ones I read atm are Saga, Walking Dead and Chew.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
3983252-w2+ultff2014005_int2.jpg.jpg

So good :D

Thanks!
And thanks for the recommendation! I just Googled him and his art seems way cool. What would be the best way to read his stuff though? According to his wikipedia page, his comics seem to be scattered across webcomics, actual newspaper comics, and actual books. Any recommendation on where to start?

His books are a great collection of his best stuff so you can't go wrong with those.

Mindwipe

Thanks to the Humble Bundle, I just finished V1 and V2 of More Than Meets The Eye. No lie, it's a very good series. Not "I-like-Transformers-and-this-is-a-Transformers-comic" kinda way, but in a legit entertaining, well written series kinda way. Stories are engaging, characters are well fleshed out, and there's a lot of space adventure/action with humor mixed in. Honestly if these characters weren't Transformers and were something else I'd still consider this a good book.

I haven't really read many Transformers comics so some of the references were a little lost on me but I was able to work it out well enough. Also, the art is good but I could still get some of the bots mixed up at the beginning. Luckily their characteristics are expanded enough that it's not really a problem.

I'm starting Robots in Disguise soon (I believe the series runs concurrently with MTMTE) and I hope it's just as good.

Welcome to the club.

RID isn't as good unfortunately. It's not bad as such. But MTMTE is a pretty high bar.

If you're looking for more stuff by James Roberts who writes MTMTE, and thus provides some of the relevant backstory, try Last Stand of the Wreckers where several of the characters originated. That's pretty self contained, and there's a really nice hardcover with some extra story bits. Also issues #22 - 23 of the TF ongoing series are a Roberts written flashback to before the war, set shortly before the events in the Shadowplay arc. The rest of the ongoing was crap, don't worry about those.

Tizoc

Someone recommend me some Image comics to read? Only ones I read atm are Saga, Walking Dead and Chew.

Off the top of my head...
Orc Stain
Invincible
Black Science
Elephantmen
Chew
Mice Templar
Rat Queens

...and when has Warren Ellis' Trees start?

Vyer

Welcome to the club.

RID isn't as good unfortunately. It's not bad as such. But MTMTE is a pretty high bar.

If you're looking for more stuff by James Roberts who writes MTMTE, and thus provides some of the relevant backstory, try Last Stand of the Wreckers where several of the characters originated. That's pretty self contained, and there's a really nice hardcover with some extra story bits. Also issues #22 - 23 of the TF ongoing series are a Roberts written flashback to before the war, set shortly before the events in the Shadowplay arc. The rest of the ongoing was crap, don't worry about those.

Aw, unfortunate to hear about RiD. But I suppose I would have been surprised if it had been at the same level.

So there's 3 ongoing series right now? (MTMTE and RiD are still going, correct?) What's the other ongoing you are talking about called?

Lashley

Off the top of my head...
Orc Stain
Invincible
Black Science
Elephantmen
Chew
Mice Templar
Rat Queens

...and when has Warren Ellis' Trees start?

WIll check em all out, already read Invincible and Chew. Love em.

sol_bad

There were premiere hardcovers years ago. Good luck trying to find them nowadays though-- they're out of print.

Well that really sucks!!! Thanks for the answer. Guess I'll look at collecting the floppies.
:'(

*edit*
OMG THE FLOPPIES ARE SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!!!
No wonder everyone was happy about the new collection release of GOTG.

Lazarus is a pretty rad image book. To be hones though, it's not like there's only a handful, Image comics are publishing a shed load of awesome books right now, it's be easier to figure out what's not good. Lazarus and Fatale , which is just finishing up and being replaced by the fade out, is good stuff.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So Moon Knight #6 comes out tomorrow.

(Speculation, spoilered just in case:)

Are we all sure that Marc's psychiatrist is the new Black Spectre? Doesn't seem like it could be anyone else. Plus there's gotta be a reason she was drawn so sinister-looking.

Well that really sucks!!! Thanks for the answer. Guess I'll look at collecting the floppies.
:'(

*edit*
OMG THE FLOPPIES ARE SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!!!
No wonder everyone was happy about the new collection release of GOTG.

Lol, that's exactly why the Complete Collection coming out is a blessing. I bought the first hardcover for $10 at SDCC a few years back and I can't believe it's going for at least $200 new these days. The Annihilation Conquest trades are gonna shoot up to those prices soon too so hopefully they do an omni for that.

And you guys are reminding me I need to start RiD. I loved MTMTE and I heard Starscream is in that, so I'm pretty excited even if it's not MTMTE-tier.

Vyer

I would add Manifest Destiny to the other suggestions you've had. Lewis and Clark lead an expedition to explore the frontier, where it basically becomes an awesome adventure/monster movie mashup.

Lashley

I would add Manifest Destiny to the other suggestions you've had. Lewis and Clark lead an expedition to explore the frontier, where it basically becomes an awesome adventure/monster movie mashup.

Will look!

God, I'm gonna be swamped in comics haha

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Spawn.

:lol

Okay but serious question now, is Spawn any good anymore? I know there's a new Spawn, it's not Al anymore, but aside from that I have no idea what's happened in the last like five years or so.

Owzers

I finally read the Iron Patriot digital copy that Bii sent my way and i thought issue #1 and 2 were fairly good but didn't sell the series. I'd read more on MU when i subscribe again

Messi

Prepared myself a new avatar for Pulido's return to She-Hulk tomorrow:

wKfsbL3.png

Heh thats pretty sweet

Joe Quinones drawing of Batgirl receiving a selfie from Dick.

That costume is just too good.

I finally read the Iron Patriot digital copy that Bii sent my way and i thought issue #1 and 2 were fairly good but didn't sell the series. I'd read more on MU when i subscribe again

How was the art, that is the new Catwoman artist.

Cade

Heh thats pretty sweet

Joe Quinones drawing of Batgirl receiving a selfie from Dick.

How was the art, that is the new Catwoman artist.

She got a Dick pic? Nice.

guys i can't stop and i won't stop

wetflame

Pizza Dog

It really is. Funny how it's brought so much attention to Batgirl, hopefully it translates to the page when the change comes into effect. Something with the energy and fun of Batgirl Year One would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom