• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Credit to fallengorn from the Poster-GAF thread.
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=124077746

Groot and Rocket Raccoon 5x5 prints by Olly Moss. $20 (+$5 shipping in the US).

VQFviVp.png

http://ollymoss.bigcartel.com/products

It's a two hour timed edition. Olly tweeted its availability at 7:24am PST so you have less than an hour from this post to get it before it's gone.

Mafro

Is it this week Bendis' complete character assassination of Richard Rider begins in that Guardians of the Galaxy Original Sin tie-in arc?

Do any of you frame your comics on your wall?

I have several books I want to frame, but I haven't done so yet.

Off the top of my head I'd frame my copies of The Infinity Gauntlet, Nova #1, Spectacular Spider-Man #1, and Thor #337. I'd like to frame Iron Fist #1 too, but my copy isn't in great condition like the others unfortunately.

MP gets much, much better after a few issues. The beginning is really rough.

What haha? Oh man, I couldn't agree at all, I think the first trade is phenomenal, and probably my personal favourite of the three I've got. Not trying to be devil's advocate here or anything, I'm just really surprised you'd think so. I kind of think of MP as a book that if you read an issue and you don't like it at all ,there's a good chance you're not going to like the rest.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Doesn't look too great, but practice makes perfect. Better than it being hidden in a box I suppose. Bought a pack of 10 boards and bags so I can frame more.

10584575_264136227114008_1277095433_n.jpg

phoenixyz

What haha? Oh man, I couldn't agree at all, I think the first trade is phenomenal, and probably my personal favourite of the three I've got. Not trying to be devil's advocate here or anything, I'm just really surprised you'd think so. I kind of think of MP as a book that if you read an issue and you don't like it at all ,there's a good chance you're not going to like the rest.

No. No no no.
The first trade was really bad! It felt as if Hickman wasn't really sure yet what the tone of the series should be. It was all over the place. I was lucky that I didn't just drop it because it got really awesome afterwards, when he fully embraced the silliness.

Is it this week Bendis' complete character assassination of Richard Rider begins in that Guardians of the Galaxy Original Sin tie-in arc?

Why do people care about this sort of stuff? He's not burning your old comics.

I don't want Marvel to totally erase its continuity, but new high profile books shouldn't be beholden to old bottom tier ones that four people read.

Where would Ellis' Moon Knight be if he'd had to worry about every nook and cranny of Marc Spector's history. Just pick and choose what's interesting and go nuts.

#Comics

Tizoc

It really is. Funny how it's brought so much attention to Batgirl, hopefully it translates to the page when the change comes into effect. Something with the energy and fun of Batgirl Year One would be awesome.

Now give Supergirl something like it.

I have a few signed books framed. Just in cheap frames as of now.
Batman: Zero Year #21(Start) black & white- Signed by Snyder
Detective Comics #1- signed by Daniels
Batman & Robin #1 - Signed by Gleason and Tamosi

And I have like 15+ books and a few prints signed on the walls.
Batman Eternal print #1 signed by Fabok, And issue #1 signed by Fabok, Tamosi and Snyder. Looks good together

-

I bought a house and I am moving beginning of September. The wife has "allowed" me to have a room for my comic/game room (Bat Cave) Right now im in a dark dingy basement. lol
Really excited to set up all my crap and signed books.

Mindwipe

Aw, unfortunate to hear about RiD. But I suppose I would have been surprised if it had been at the same level.

So there's 3 ongoing series right now? (MTMTE and RiD are still going, correct?) What's the other ongoing you are talking about called?

There's two ongoings (RiD and MTMTE), what is referred to as the "ongoing" is actually the Transformers comic before it split into RID and MTMTE. It's just called "Transformers" on Comixology. After issues 22 of both titles there is a crossover between both books called Dark Cybertron for twelve issues, before they split up again.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I don't want Marvel to totally erase its continuity, but new high profile books shouldn't be beholden to old bottom tier ones that four people read.

Where would Ellis' Moon Knight be if he'd had to worry about every nook and cranny of Marc Spector's history. Just pick and choose what's interesting and go nuts.

#Comics

It's always a balancing act, but there have been enough instances of a writer taking over a character and drastically changing what made that character great. A lot of people would say Bendis hasn't really done a great job of translating what made the current cast of Guardians great. The ending of Thanos Imperative was very climactic and a culmination of a great run. Directly continuing a plot point of it requires the new author to handle it with the proper respect.

The old issues of Nova will still exist, but if the character comes back and they decide they need to distinguish him from the new Nova more, and they retool his power set as such that the Cancerverse has made it so that he can now only project cosmic farts from his eyes that is tainting the character. Plus your buddy Jimmy will ask you why you've always raved about a character that shoots farts from his eyes. Hyperbolic example aside, while I very much love certain Bendis books like Powers and USM, I think there's reason enough to fear the explanation will disappoint a lot of people.

UPmItFg.png

Misspelling the character's name, the first instance he's mentioned doesn't inspire me with much confidence. It's a small mistake and I think I've done it myself in the past, but this shouldn't slip past editorial.

My girlfriend doesn't really like my comic/movie posters, but she insisted that we frame my Scottie Young lithograph collection. They look excellent.

#Comics

The difference between Warren Ellis and BMB is that Ellis takes what he likes and then doesn't run roughshod over everything else. He distills a character to their core and brings out what he likes. BMB find an angle and runs with it, regardless of whether that angle fits the character. This often causes the character to become something completely different, and often directly conflicts with their history and previous characterizations. And then later on he might come back and try to bridge the gap to placate fans.

And yes, he's not burning our old comics but he's preventing us from reading new stories about the people we enjoy. The current Guardians run for example. His book is the only place I can get my Guardians fill and that's a shame.

Hellion

It really is. Funny how it's brought so much attention to Batgirl, hopefully it translates to the page when the change comes into effect. Something with the energy and fun of Batgirl Year One would be awesome.
That costume belongs to Stephanie :(

As a rule, for better or worse, Ellis takes a book and gives it a strong central idea to revolve around. Streamlines, synthesizes to the core of the title into one 6 issue package(or 2 in the Thunderbolts case). Iron Man? The fusion of Man and Machine. Thunderbolts? Strip away the barnacles and get back to a team of villains posing as heroes, a couple of whom are trying to do the job properly. Secret Avengers? Run the Mission, Don't Get Seen, Save the World. Moon Knight? Crazy not-Batman dealing with strange street level cases cops aren't handled to perform. And more times than not, he's pretty good at that.

Bendis...sometimes I get the feeling he's just gonna do whatever the fuck he wants to do, character be damned. I will fit you into my agenda, I don't care how many square pegs it takes to fill this round hole.

No. No no no.
The first trade was really bad! It felt as if Hickman wasn't really sure yet what the tone of the series should be. It was all over the place. I was lucky that I didn't just drop it because it got really awesome afterwards, when he fully embraced the silliness.

Haha. To each their own man. I'm not seeing it at all. Tonally, thematically, just in terms of whether he nailed the humour or not. I'm not seeing the difference. I feel this is like when people say Scalped's first volume was terrible though and the rest is great. I just don't see it I guess. Nothing wrong with that though!

People say Scalped first volume was bad?

As soon as I saw that one panel RM Guera drew of Red Crow saying something really badass, I was hooked

As soon as I saw that one panel RM Guera drew of Red Crow saying something really badass, I was hooked

I've saw that one in quite a few places man, always mystified me. I'm not sure which one informed the other, but Aaron actually said it himself haha:

The first arc was very hard. I had only written two other full 22 pages comics by the time I wrote "Scalped" #1 -- the first couple issues of "The Other Side." I worked on the first issue of "The Other Side" for months; longer than I've ever worked on any other single comic. So, I was still very green and still figuring out what I was doing. I don't know that I was truly prepared to dive into all the stuff I was going to have to juggle in an ongoing monthly comic.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that our first arc was probably the weakest of "Scalped."
It's me figuring out where I'm going and what I'm doing. I think Guera and I were still figuring out how to work together. Things start to come together a little more by the second arc. I think you start to see hints of the type of book this is going to turn out to be in the long run.

From Click

I'd have to say I don't even agree with the writer here, of course maybe that's how he felt as he worked through it, but I don't find the first arc to be weak at all, and if that is Aaron *green*, well, I guess he hit a higher bar on his first outing than most ever do. Perfect synergy with the art, he captures everyones voices, some great plot developments. It's all there. I honestly think the other side is incredible too though, I just think the guy hits a really high bar every time with his independent work.

Getting your favorite character replaced by jeph lobes son and forgotten about sucks . BENDIS writing the guardians is terrible. He should find a street for them to fight crime on then it will be good

I've saw that one in quite a few places man, always mystified me. I'm not sure which one informed the other, but Aaron actually said it himself haha:

From Click

I'd have to say I don't even agree with the writer here, I don't find the first arc to be weak at all, and if that is Aaron *green*, well, I guess he hit a higher bar on his first outing than most ever do. Perfect synergy with the arc, he captures everyones voices, some great plot developments. It's all there. I honestly think the other side is incredible too though, I just think the guy hits a really high bar every time with his independent work.

You already know Red Crow was gonna be the best character in this mothafucka

Haha. To each their own man. I'm not seeing it at all. Tonally, thematically, just in terms of whether he nailed the humour or not. I'm not seeing the difference. I feel this is like when people say Scalped's first volume was terrible though and the rest is great. I just don't see it I guess. Nothing wrong with that though!

So much this.

I can see Aaron's apprehension, but dude was boss from jump street.

Tizoc

See this is the kind of Harley I like. The one that is just doing it for love. Also insane.

I just wanted an excuse to post more Joe Quinones art as he is wonderful.

He draws an odd looking Bats but that psychology is freakin' genius...but does it really imply that
Harley was always 1 step ahead of Bats?

Have you read Bloodspell by Paul Dini and Joe Quinones? It's wonderful and his art is just perfect for it. Dini can do no wrong when writing females in my eyes.

Girl-Talk.png

Will look into this Bloodspell book, thanks.

Boogiepop

Hypothetically speaking, would I be able to just read the City Fall part 1 and 2 trades and get a complete experience out of that? Like, I understand that City Fall is a cumulation of threads from issue 1, but if I went in cold, I'd be cool? Asking for my wallet.
In theory you could get away with it, though there'd be a good number of characters/motivations/ideas you'd be picking up out of context instead of seeing them directly. I personally wouldn't recommend it, both because the series has been kind of flowing like one big arc and it's all absolutely worth reading, but you could probably get by if you absolutely had to.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Have you read Bloodspell by Paul Dini and Joe Quinones? It's wonderful and his art is just perfect for it. Dini can do no wrong when writing females in my eyes.

Girl-Talk.png

Bloodspell is amazing. Dinah and Zee make the best superhero duo on DC since decades.

Zombine

Banned
Getting your favorite character replaced by jeph lobes son and forgotten about sucks . BENDIS writing the guardians is terrible. He should find a street for them to fight crime on then it will be good

No. Even then it would suck. He can only write one character at a time. Take Star Lord and put him in Hell's Kitchen and you have some quality writing.

phoenixyz

Yea, you know, of course. My personal perception is not universal. I just wanted to encourage Lashley to maybe give MP another shot because I enjoyed it a whole lot more from volume 2 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom