• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, you know, of course. My personal perception is not universal. I just wanted to encourage Lashley to maybe give MP another shot because I enjoyed it a whole lot more from volume 2 onwards.

Well, I definitely support that endeavour. Hickman can be a tough nut to *get* into as well but once you're there...and TMP is probably the most friendly book of his own that he does. Imo East OF West is hid real masterpiece right now, but TMP is the best gateway book to that and probably even to his older image stuff.

And Hell yes Birdie, Aaron was born knocking it out of the park. I understand a lot of writers feel that way about their work though. Perhaps the fact they can be so critical yet still commit it to paper is what makes it so good and honest. (I'll resist a King discourse here but I'm sure you know it all!).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Have you read Bloodspell by Paul Dini and Joe Quinones? It's wonderful and his art is just perfect for it. Dini can do no wrong when writing females in my eyes.

Girl-Talk.png

I have to admit that I have as good as no experience with B-Tier DC Characters.
I have strong interest in reading more DC, but all these Marvel books really keep me occupied, but I am very happy that I am soon at the point that I finishing some Runs I am collecting and then I have again more money available.

These Harley and Zattana Panels you posted are great, I think I will add some collections to my Amazon Wishlist^^

Messi

I have to admit that I have as good as no experience with B-Tier DC Characters.
I have strong interest in reading more DC, but all these Marvel books really keep me occupied, but I am very happy that I am soon at the point that I finishing some Runs I am collecting and then I have again more money available.

These Harley and Zattana Panels you posted are great, I think I will add some collections to my Amazon Wishlist^^

Bloodspell is a standalone graphic novel that is fairly short but such a delightful read. It's perfect for someone who knows nothing about the two main characters.

--

Look at this tattoo someone is getting done. Progress shot. But Damn.

People love Rat Queens

phoenixyz

Well, I definitely support that endeavour. Hickman can be a tough nut to *get* into as well but once you're there...and TMP is probably the most friendly book of his own that he does. Imo East OF West is hid real masterpiece right now, but TMP is the best gateway book to that and probably even to his older image stuff.

I found East of West much more engaging from the get go. Although I tradewait it by now because it moves so slooow.

I found East of West much more engaging from the get go. Although I tradewait it by now because it moves so slooow.

Oh, yeah. I just started tradewaiting it as well. It's a great book, but the plot moves as slow as a Nick Spencer book (okay, not quite THAT slow).

kd-z

Yeah, in the post I made right after watching it I said it was trashy as hell. But still entertaining.
Oh, I must've missed that post. I totally agree with you now, can't deny I was having some kinda fun watching it, though it was more of a guilty pleasure.
Why can't DC reprint Ostrander's run in some nice, thick TPBs? I'd totally buy them :(
Hm, lemme see if I can find a good
MuawIxC.jpg

bbbccccchhhhsssshhhhhhhhhooooommmm!!!!
YES. I love that panel from Final Crisis. She looks really natural here, with her hair looking just right and the physique of a tall but young woman reflected perfectly in the way she is posed. Such a simple panel yet such great craft. <3
See this is the kind of Harley I like. The one that is just doing it for love. Also insane.

I just wanted an excuse to post more Joe Quinones art as he is wonderful.
Whoa, that's cool. I'll really have to read Bloodspell one day!

YES. I love that panel from Final Crisis. She looks really natural here, with her hair looking just right and the physique of a tall but young woman reflected perfectly in the way she is posed. Such a simple panel yet such great craft. <3

JG is such a master. Hate to see him slagged when folks talk Final Crisis.

arkon

See this is the kind of Harley I like. The one that is just doing it for love. Also insane.

I just wanted an excuse to post more Joe Quinones art as he is wonderful.

Didn't realize Harley Quinn's chin was so big. Jimmy Hill-tier

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
People say Scalped first volume was bad?

As soon as I saw that one panel RM Guera drew of Red Crow saying something really badass, I was hooked

I've saw that one in quite a few places man, always mystified me. I'm not sure which one informed the other, but Aaron actually said it himself haha...

This reminds me: I went to go see Neil Gaiman read and speak and be British during his last book tour, and the lady who was supposed to be hosting the night, or MC-ing, or taking up space on stage, at one point busted out something akin to "yeah, when I first started reading Sandman, I could barely get through it--I didn't like it. So, my suggestion to anybody who hasn't read Sandman [said to a crowd of Neil Gaiman fans in 2013] skip the first volume and go straight to volume 2. It definitely gets good then."

The crowd got mad perplexed and then some boos were tossed.

So basically, it may be cool to dislike the first volumes of great works now, like Sandman and Scalped, because those are the ones that require the most effort to get into, as you're entering a new world, and shit isn't handed to you on a platter yet.

This reminds me: I went to go see Neil Gaiman read and speak and be British during his last book tour, and the lady who was supposed to be hosting the night, or MC-ing, or taking up space on stage, at one point busted out something akin to "yeah, when I first started reading Sandman, I could barely get through it--I didn't like it. So, my suggestion to anybody who hasn't read Sandman [said to a crowd of Neil Gaiman fans in 2013] skip the first volume and go straight to volume 2. It definitely gets good then."

So basically, it may be cool to dislike the first volumes of great works now, like Sandman and Scalped, because those are the ones that require the most effort to get into, as you're entering a new world, and shit isn't handed to you on a platter yet.

Hahah, that's hilarious man. Good story, I liked that. Guess she won't be invited back to Neil's for tea and crumpets. I just think it's a funny thing with Scalped because that first volume really does set up the stuff that will drives the series and a lot of stuff circles back. Where did you see him read btw? I'm pretty jealous, I live in Britain and I've never seen anyone big from over here do anything. I did get the opportunity to go see Mark Millar do something like that once but ...well, I passed politely haha. I'm sure whoever took the ticket had a better time than I would have.

I just updated my Wii U and all my game saves and downloaded games are gone............not even comics can help me.

What the fuck man, really? I don't want to hear that shit, if I ever update ours and all my kid's games go, I'll never hear the end. Game depression all around tonight, I think the last game I was still pretty excited for got knocked back to Feb (with every other game I was excited for actually haha) so who knows, maybe I'll have more $ for comics this fall than usual.

I have like 30+ games between retail and download. All the saves gone, I was like 90% through ACIV and it's gone. No way am I replaying all that let alone all the other games. I had like 99% of the kart parts unlocked in MK8, all the riddler trophies in Arkham City. All my Wii Fit U data.

It's all gone.

tumblr_mazl1nKwDd1r22rqu.gif

I've only had one thing similar happen my FFIX save got corrupted like 70 hours into it, I never went back.

I'm sending it to Nintendo, I also ordered a new USB Y-Cable off amazon to be here tomorrow. I hope beyond hope that that will fix it.

Messi

I have like 30+ games between retail and download. All the saves gone, I was like 90% through ACIV and it's gone. No way am I replaying all that let alone all the other games. I had like 99% of the kart parts unlocked in MK8, all the riddler trophies in Arkham City. All my Wii Fit U data.

It's all gone.

tumblr_mazl1nKwDd1r22rqu.gif

I've only had one thing similar happen my FFIX save got corrupted like 70 hours into it, I never went back.

I'm sending it to Nintendo, I also ordered a new USB Y-Cable off amazon to be here tomorrow. I hope beyond hope that that will fix it.

Oh I feel for you man, you bought a Wii-U.

I am really sorry though...thats a shit thing to happen.

I have like 30+ games between retail and download. All the saves gone, I was like 90% through ACIV and it's gone. No way am I replaying all that let alone all the other games. I had like 99% of the kart parts unlocked in MK8, all the riddler trophies in Arkham City.

Ugh. There's no cloud save option for Wii U or anything, is there? I'm thankful every day that trophy / achievement info is stored with account info on Sony/Microsoft servers.

Ugh. There's no cloud save option for Wii U or anything, is there? I'm thankful every day that trophy / achievement info is stored with account info on Sony/Microsoft servers.
Nope. You just reminded me that I lost pretty much all of my PS3 saves when my PS3 died earlier in the year :( I got Plus down the line so I never backed up most of them

Luckily I still had my Batman Arkham Origins save
comic books

The first volume of Sandman has this weird EC horror vibe going on, like Gaiman's still figuring out what he wants to do. And then he got to "The Sound of Her Wings" and realized "wait a minute...I can do ANYTHING!"

There's a reason "Doll House" was the first trade paperback DC published instead of the first few issues of The Sandman.

The first volume of Sandman has this weird EC horror vibe going on, like Gaiman's still figuring out what he wants to do. And then he got to "The Sound of Her Wings" and realized "wait a minute...I can do ANYTHING!"

There's a reason "Doll House" was the first trade paperback DC published instead of the first few issues of The Sandman.
Yea. For anyone starting sandman I always say go through the first two trades to give it a shot. The first trade up until the end is by far the weakest of the run

dan2026

I must be about the only guy who really dislikes Sandman.

Too much existential waffle and a truly unlikable main character.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Managed to get tickets to see Guardians of the Galaxy in the Electric Cinema in Notting Hill this Friday, one of those awesome cinemas with comfy armchairs and sofa/beds at the front to lie on, grabbed sofa seats for my girlfriend and I. Hopefully she enjoys it, she doesn't read comics at all and said the trailer looked "silly" but she enjoyed Iron Man and Avengers, and we're both big Parks and Rec fans so I'm confident it'll win her over. The setting won't hurt either.

Messi

Managed to get tickets to see Guardians of the Galaxy in the Electric Cinema in Notting Hill this Friday, one of those awesome cinemas with comfy armchairs and sofa/beds at the front to lie on, grabbed sofa seats for my girlfriend and I. Hopefully she enjoys it, she doesn't read comics at all and said the trailer looked "silly" but she enjoyed Iron Man and Avengers, and we're both big Parks and Rec fans so I'm confident it'll win her over. The setting won't hurt either.

What if you are too busy sexing to enjoy the movie?

WHAT IF?

kmfdmpig

I was in the same boat, and thought we'd both like it a lot based on reviews. My wife loved Captain America movies, Avengers, and Iron Man 1 + 3 (while hating ASM, Iron Man 2, etc...). She pretty much hated Guardians. I didn't like it much either to be honest.

Yea GOTG was the first movie I saw in the theaters with the fucking recliners and my god it was a comfy experience. I seriously think it helps keep people quiet...It was the most pleasant movie-going experience I've had in a long time.

Zombine

Banned
Yea GOTG was the first movie I saw in the theaters with the fucking recliners and my god it was a comfy experience. I seriously think it helps keep people quiet...It was the most pleasant movie-going experience I've had in a long time.

I have this issue where if I get too comfortable I fall asleep watching movies. Hell, I've fallen asleep in theaters while I was uncomfortable too. To this day I have no idea what happened in The Davincii Code.

Messi

I have this issue where if I get too comfortable I fall asleep watching movies. Hell, I've fallen asleep in theaters while I was uncomfortable too. To this day I have no idea what happened in The Davincii Code.

I went to see Wreck it Ralph twice in one week, both times I fell asleep 20 mins in and woke up during the final scenes. No fucking clue what happens in that movie.

Zombine

Banned
I went to see Wreck it Ralph twice in one week, both times I fell asleep 20 mins in and woke up during the final scenes. No fucking clue what happens in that movie.

I fell asleep in the middle of Wreck it Ralph. I caught the beginning and the end. Last night I tried to watch the Mist in black & white and I fell asleep. I wasn't even tired before I put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom