• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGN had an article on good murder mystery books and listed Identity Crisis as one of them. It did mention it's shortcoming as well so I know what to expect but did anyone here enjoy it without spoilers. I just ordered it.

tumblr_n9o4v3knMn1s5k9amo1_1280.png

tumblr_n9o4v3knMn1s5k9amo2_1280.png

I think I need to read Ms Marvel.

Has anyone read Elf Quest? In my 20+ years reading comics its a series i always felt i should try it

IST is running a sale for a new reprinting it seems. I think i'll give it a shot

Oh and speaking of new trades, what the hell are these marvel Adamantium collection trades?

How does this go for $200 base price? I love marvels but what the hell does it contain to go for that price. I also see collections for X-men and Wolverine that start at $200 base
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/MARVELS-PLATINUM-EDITION-SLIPCASE-HC/MAR140755

IGN had an article on good murder mystery books and listed Identity Crisis as one of them. It did mention it's shortcoming as well so I know what to expect but did anyone here enjoy it without spoilers. I just ordered it.
It gets a lot of hate from some, namely for one or two scenes. But overall i thought it was pretty good.

kmfdmpig

Yes. It's pretty good. It's cool to hate it on now, but at the time most people liked it,although there are some dark moments that people did not like.

Mr.Towel

Yes. It's pretty good. It's cool to hate it on now, but at the time most people liked it,although there are some dark moments that people did not like.

I didn't like Identity Crisis then, I don't like it now, and it has nothing to do with it being "cool to hate"

Identity Crisis is like all the bad stereotypes of modern day superhero comics/Nu52 rolled into one

I'm sure you're love it Korrupt

It's a poorly constructed murder mystery that revels in its grittiness. I won't even spoil the ending, but it's baffling stupid and really highlights the problem with the whole story: Metzer grinding the charm & goofiness of '70s DC into fodder for basically an episode of Law & Order: SVU. Identity Crisis is about how there is no room for goofiness or wonder in the modern era, because LIFE IS TOO REAL with all it's rape, cover ups, broken marriages and Deathstrokes. The comic pushes the idea that superheroes are irrelevant and unworkable, left to sulk and brood in the rain and stand by helpless. But superheroes are better than that. Looking at the comics on shelves now, from Image, Marvel and, yes, even DC, superheroes seem as relevant as ever.

As Chris Sims points out, Identity Crisis is the inspiration and start for DC's current obsession with grim and grittiness. But, yo, Rag Morales puts in some killer pencils.

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys ready for the return of the SUPERIOR Spider-Man?

The best Spider-Man to ever grace comic pages?

Edit: Get back on that Ms. Marvel, Messi.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I've pretty much finished Brubaker/Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist. I just have two issues left which I'll finish off tomorrow morning, but the main arc is all finished off. It was a great read. I don't really have anything to say about it that hasn't already been said, but yeah, I really enjoyed it just as all of you have.
Also, it's perfect timing, because Doom Patrol and Hellboy should arrive in the mail tomorrow!

Oh and speaking of new trades, what the hell are these marvel Adamantium collection trades?

How does this go for $200 base price? I love marvels but what the hell does it contain to go for that price. I also see collections for X-men and Wolverine that start at $200 base
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/MARVELS-PLATINUM-EDITION-SLIPCASE-HC/MAR140755

The Adamantium collections are hardcovers that are just way too big for any purpose (19.6 x 12.7 inches according to Amazon). Check out some youtube videos to see just how insanely big they are. Also, like you've noticed, they're waaaaaaay too overpriced, so nobody buys them, hence the X-Men and Wolverine Adamantium collections being discounted to 50% off despite the fact that they've been out for a while. The Marvels one just came out though it seems.
But yeah, they're just a stupid item at a stupid price.

Welcome back, Toa TAK! I had wondered where our SUPERIOR poster ran off to.

Messi

Miles is on life support right now in my eyes tho. But he was really good in his first series.

Why did they rush into aging Miles up? He was awesome as a young teenager not knowing what the fuck he was doing.

Yo Kipp is not Bru/ faction level but the arc after them is pretty good on its own right

also recommend the immortal weapons mini . Jason Aaron writing fat cobra

Toa TAK

Banned
Welcome back, Toa TAK! I had wondered where our SUPERIOR poster ran off to.
Got an awesome new job and stuff. Still kept up with my books, but SUPERIOR's end was too much for me to handle.
I'll let it slide.
Miles is on life support right now in my eyes tho. But he was really good in his first series.
It really does feel this way. I'm hoping the next issue does something big to keep my interest, because I'd hate to see him and the overarching Ultimate Universe fizzle out more then it already has.
Why did they rush into aging Miles up? He was awesome as a young teenager not knowing what the fuck he was doing.
I agree, it was a lot more fun and interesting to see this middle-school aged kid go through this stuff.
Pfft, I already have my Superior Spider-Men-- Kaine and Miguel
UGH. (Unless you mean Ultimate versions of them).

diaspora

Got an awesome new job and stuff. Still kept up with my books, but SUPERIOR's end was too much for me to handle.

I'll let it slide.

It really does feel this way. I'm hoping the next issue does something big to keep my interest, because I'd hate to see him and the overarching Ultimate Universe fizzle out more then it already has.

I agree, it was a lot more fun and interesting to see this middle-school aged kid go through this stuff.

Well, Kaine is the best Spider bro.

Messi

I'll let it slide.

STRAIGHT UP FREEZA-ING THIS POST

You fixed that shit double quick, unlike Freeza.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yo Kipp is not Bru/ faction level but the arc after them is pretty good on its own right

also recommend the immortal weapons mini . Jason Aaron writing fat cobra

Good to know! Thanks! I probably won't check it out super soon, but I'll definitely keep it on my radar.
And whaaat!? I had no idea Aaron wrote an Immortal Weapons mini! I almost want to pick up the Complete Collection vol 2 just for that. Haha

Congratulations on the job!

Good to know! Thanks! I probably won't check it out super soon, but I'll definitely keep it on my radar.
And whaaat!? I had no idea Aaron wrote an Immortal Weapons mini! I almost want to pick up the Complete Collection vol 2 just for that. Haha

Congratulations on the job!

Aaron wronge the fst cobra issue on,y iirc. They got different writers for each weapon

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The first volume of Sandman has this weird EC horror vibe going on, like Gaiman's still figuring out what he wants to do. And then he got to "The Sound of Her Wings" and realized "wait a minute...I can do ANYTHING!"

There's a reason "Doll House" was the first trade paperback DC published instead of the first few issues of The Sandman.

Yea. For anyone starting sandman I always say go through the first two trades to give it a shot. The first trade up until the end is by far the weakest of the run
I don't know, fellas. Issue 4, with Morpheus' showdown in Hell, was vital to me geting deeply passionate about comics, and I think it's pure brilliance. Even Gaiman admits that he didn't necessarily have any velocity with the comic in the first bunch of issues, but they're still super captivating and great to me. I wouldn't suggest anybody skip any issues of the main series.

Has anyone read Elf Quest? In my 20+ years reading comics its a series i always felt i should try it

IST is running a sale for a new reprinting it seems. I think i'll give it a shot.

I read Elf Quest when I was younger (too young for it honestly) its some weird hippy sex comic disguised as a fantasy comic.

Just read Neil Gaimans "What Ever Happened to the Cape Crusader" 2 part story and enjoyed it very much. Very clever story telling.

sca2511

I guess Comixology changed the GoTG sale to just the first volume? Had it all in my cart then I was notified that the price has changed.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just read Neil Gaimans "What Ever Happened to the Cape Crusader" 2 part story and enjoyed it very much. Very clever story telling.

Really great little story that was thrown into the Bat-verse in the middle of Morrison's run. The ending, with the hands, has some damn great imagery.

SRG01

Literally anything Spider-Man related is better than the current ASM issues. UGH. I hope things improve with Spider-verse.

sol_bad

Does anyone know if I'll have to catch up with Batman Eternal for the newer issues of normal Batman? I never thought of this while Zero Year took place.
I sure as hell bloody hope not. lol

Messi

Does anyone know if I'll have to catch up with Batman Eternal for the newer issues of normal Batman? I never thought of this while Zero Year took place.
I sure as hell bloody hope not. lol

Batman's next arc takes place after Eternal.

That said, Eternal has been cool thus far. Bar
Joker's Daughter having the ability to phase through walls for some reason wtf

Identity Crisis is the trade that I borrowed from my friend and read that got me back into comics. I personally enjoyed it.

Batman's next arc takes place after Eternal.

That said, Eternal has been cool thus far. Bar
Joker's Daughter having the ability to phase through walls for some reason wtf

The Ghost of Nocenti won't be stopped.

Cade

I actually really like Identity Crisis, mostly just for Zatanna and the lasting consequences of what people in the story have done, but yes, when summed up like that nothing makes sense.

However, it's clear that
Jean Loring
is FUCKING INSANE. I chalk the idiocy of
her
plan up to legitimate mental illness and insane amounts of
jealousy and inferiority complex.

Thanos

wetflame

Pizza Dog
What if you are too busy sexing to enjoy the movie?

WHAT IF?

It's a risk. They even give you cashmere blankets to put over yourself. I'm hoping that I can take advantage of my girlfriend's swooning when Chris Pratt takes his shirt off.

I was in the same boat, and thought we'd both like it a lot based on reviews. My wife loved Captain America movies, Avengers, and Iron Man 1 + 3 (while hating ASM, Iron Man 2, etc...). She pretty much hated Guardians. I didn't like it much either to be honest.

My girlfriend hates the very idea of Captain America (we're British and she finds it too jingo-istic of a concept and doesn't like that whole "we're the greatest" stereotype so she's not willing to give it a try. Same with Thor, she just wasn't interested at all. She did like Avengers, Iron Man and Spider-Man (to some extent) so we'll see how it goes.

Yea GOTG was the first movie I saw in the theaters with the fucking recliners and my god it was a comfy experience. I seriously think it helps keep people quiet...It was the most pleasant movie-going experience I've had in a long time.

Oh god yeah, I saw Iron Man 3 there for my birthday and it was an amazing experience. So nice to lie down in comfort and watch a film. Plus the bathroom is tiled in this Victorian, Ministry of Magic-looking style and the pre-trailers video about keeping quiet has Benedict Cumberbatch in it. Best cinema ever.

kd-z

Okay, I'm done with the first volume of Transformers: More than Meets the Eye. It was a lot of fun! It doesn't really require any previous Transformers knowledge. I can tell, because I had none. To be honest it felt like a very good, funny and energetic sci-fi romp about a team of dudes travelling on a spaceship. Except everyone is a badass robot, which is awesome. I love how light-hearted it is - some of the jokes were hilarious.

I still have some trouble recognizing the various Transformers, but I'm getting better. And it's hard not to love the art when it's so colorful and detailed. The facial expressions are fantastic.

I have one question, though: are the characters from Beast Wars part of this continuity? The show was pretty much my only exposure to Transformers as a kid and I was a huge fan of Cheetor. Even had this badass toy:

My good friends, how's DMZ?

It's not a cut and dry bad book, and if you're reading about stories driven by social/political issues it's pretty decent, that's pretty much where Wood puts all the focus. That said, it's effectively the opposite of what makes me interested in stories. The characters are very shallow imo and kind of just mill around with very light character arcs that suit where Wood wants them to go and what issue he wants to explore.

I personally think Northlanders is a much better book by him. Some arcs are weakn but there are some corkers as well. The Massive, I dropped after the first volume as well for being dull. I don't think it's a lack of capacity to write characters well, he just barely ever nails it for me.

Overall, a writer I've mostly moved on from. Originally read all of DMZ & Northlanders but didn't make it very far with Conan or The Massive. Rebels sounds interesting but I doubt I'll go there again, I think my tastes just matured away form him style of writing and what he likes to drive a story. BKV is pretty much a perfect example of a writer who clearly wants to write about various social or political issues in his fiction but lets the characters drive the story organically to tackle em. Just my opinion. Like I mentioned, I don't think Wood is out and out bad.

Has anyone been reading the woods btw?

Mindwipe

I have one question, though: are the characters from Beast Wars part of this continuity? The show was pretty much my only exposure to Transformers as a kid and I was a huge fan of Cheetor. Even had this badass toy:

There aren't any BW characters in MTMTE. There are a few show up in RID, but at least one of them doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to his Beast Wars era character other than name and rough appearance. To be honest they were probably guest star appearances related to toy releases.

On your specific character question

No Cheetor yet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The first volume of Sandman has this weird EC horror vibe going on, like Gaiman's still figuring out what he wants to do. And then he got to "The Sound of Her Wings" and realized "wait a minute...I can do ANYTHING!"

There's a reason "Doll House" was the first trade paperback DC published instead of the first few issues of The Sandman.

Yeah when I was a kid my store owner sold me on vol 2 before vol 1 as well, I think it's a common thing. But all that happened was that I had vol 2 on my shelf for years without having read it because I'm an OCD completest idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom